╌>

Millions Of Comments About The FCC's Net Neutrality Rules Were Fake. Now The Feds Are Investigating.

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  split-personality  •  6 years ago  •  17 comments

Millions Of Comments About The FCC's Net Neutrality Rules Were Fake. Now The Feds Are Investigating.
People's names and addresses were listed on the FCC's website beside net neutrality comments they didn't make. Now the FBI is interested.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Justice Department is investigating whether crimes were committed when potentially millions of people’s identities were posted to the FCC’s website without their permission, falsely attributing to them opinions about net neutrality rules, BuzzFeed News has learned.

The comment scheme took place over the course of months beginning in April 2017 after the Trump administration's FCC chair, Ajit Pai, moved to overturn Obama-era rules enforcing net neutrality, a regulation that prevented internet providers from choosing which web traffic gets to flow at full speed.

The rule enjoyed broad public support, according to multiple polls , and required a period of public comment before Pai's change could go into effect. More than 20 million comments have since appeared on the site, with the New York attorney general’s office estimating that up to 9.5 million of those were filed in people’s names without their consent.

As part of the New York attorney general’s previously announced investigation, the agency in October issued subpoenas to 14 organizations — 11 of which are either politically conservative or related to the telecommunications industry and opposed net neutrality, and three of which supported it. The offices of the attorneys general of both Massachusetts and Washington, DC, are supporting the New York investigation, and also issued subpoenas. Their participation has not been previously reported.

The federal subpoenas arrived a few days after the state ones, the two organizations told BuzzFeed News.

read more...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kevincollier/feds-investigation-net-neutrality-comments

Article is LOCKED by moderator [smarty_function_ntUser_get_name: user_id or profile_id parameter required]
[]

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Split Personality    6 years ago

The internet can be a vast tool for knowledge

but it is apparently a two edged sword.

Phony opinions attributed to real people to push a political agenda during a public policy comment period by the FCC chair to overturn  popular Obama era rules enforcing net neutrality.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @1    6 years ago

Opps, hand in the cookie jar so to speak.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @1.1    6 years ago

Maybe it was the Russians, lol...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    6 years ago

Whatever happened, I would hope that the people considering those comments would evaluate them based on their content and not on how many of them there were.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago

If the comments were phony, what/why would their content matter or be considered ?

Someone went to great lengths to make it appear that the public approved of Pai's ( the Administration's ) changes to the net neutrality rules.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.1    6 years ago
If the comments were phony, what/why would their content matter or be considered ?

If I were crafting public policy, I would want good information. I wouldn't be picky about where it came from or how many people submitted the same idea.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Ajit Pai, like most Trump appointees, is a crook in service to Big Business.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Split Personality  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago

So it appears.

Verizon especially benefited......

Pai was plucked from Verizon and continues to make rulings and directives that benefit or will benefit Verizon.

He's almost good for a seed a day.

2 days ago he gave carriers the option to block texts, supposedly to block spam texts. ( I have never had a spam text and use my cell phone for business all day, every day )

Yesterday he promised to review the FCC rules about media ownership and merger bans.  Can't imagine who that would benefit ( his future employer Verizon? )

https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/fcc-network-merger-media-ownership-rules-1203088140/   ( corrected )

I cannot imagine any other appropriate proverb other than "Don't let the fox guard the chicken coop"

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    6 years ago

America elected a crook, who has since appointed lots of crooks.

Gosh.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I've said before, and I say again, that the world was a safer and more honest place BEFORE computers and internet.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago
the world was a safer and more honest place BEFORE computers and internet.

The internet and computers are tools, man has always been what it is. Now we just see it more and more easily. And yes this tool is used against us, what tool has not been ? Guns, cars, airplanes all used as weapons against ourselves as humans.  

Personally I was getting bored I was happy to see he world advance with the computer age. 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.2  Phoenyx13  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago
I've said before, and I say again, that the world was a safer and more honest place BEFORE computers and internet.

i don't agree - i just think the world is more transparent since computers and the internet, humans are revealing their true nature and it's easier to capture it now. Humans hadn't suddenly changed drastically since the invention of computers and internet - computers and the internet are just revealing their natures.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.2    6 years ago

Yes, that may well be, because now humans can display their true and latent feelings which they did not want to be identified with previously.  That would be one of the explanations for the rise in antisemitism.  However, in our collective memory, has there ever been so much anger other than the opposition to the Vietnam War?

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.2.2  Phoenyx13  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.1    6 years ago
However, in our collective memory, has there ever been so much anger other than the opposition to the Vietnam War?

oh absolutely ! just depends on point of view, that's all. Plus, now we can readily see and identify all of that anger with the help of computers and the internet - couldn't do that as effectively or as quickly before, one of the only ways to know before would have been massive protests etc (which weren't as easy to organize before computers and the internet). 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  seeder  Split Personality    6 years ago

locked until tomorrow

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @5    6 years ago

& unlocked, happy Friday

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  seeder  Split Personality    6 years ago

Thank up all for your comments, good night