╌>

There's the "Original Photograph," and then there's the "ONE OF A KIND"!

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  a-macarthur  •  6 years ago  •  23 comments

There's the "Original Photograph," and then there's the "ONE OF A KIND"!

Virtually every photograph as it comes out of the camera, is … "original". Even so, many photos other than (i.e.) family, private events such as weddings, etc., are of subjects and scenes and variations thereof, photographed many times over.

One of the things I love about RESTORING OLD PHOTOGRAPHS, is that, because they are old (some in excess of 100 years old), their subject matter tends to be of people and things that are forever gone and/or changed so as never to be again photographed, or, photographed as they once were.

In other words … photographs that always were, have become or, over always were, "ONE OF A KIND"!

As follows.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

I got a thousand of 'em!

Literally.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago

Your statement in the article:

"...their subject matter tends to be of people and things that are forever gone and/or changed so as never to be again photographed, or, photographed as they once were."

Keeps alive the more than a century ago intent of the Famous Photographer Eugene Atget whose works I posted on NT previously, as indicated by Wikipedia:

"Eugène Atget (French: 12 February 1857 – 4 August 1927) was a French flâneur [translation: stroller] and a pioneer of documentary photography, noted for his determination to document all of the architecture and street scenes of Paris before their disappearance to modernization."

The same with Berenice Abbott, another of my Famous Photographer series, whose most famous work was her series "Changing New York" featuring photos of New York in the 1930s, as a "museum piece" to preserve the vintage architecture and lifestyle of a city that was fast developing.

Santayana's words that those who forget history are bound to repeat it is not always applicable in this case because many of the things that were photographed around a century or more ago will not be forgotten as long as there are those as yourself who continue not only to record what is current to form a visual history for the future, but also restore, preserve and display that which IS history.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2  igknorantzrulz    6 years ago

looks like the "Olympia"  ?

at Penns Landing

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2    6 years ago

Same era; just posted an Olympia photo from the same time.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  A. Macarthur @2.1    6 years ago

remember touring that as a kid

pretty cool

also toured he US New Jersey across the river

very very cool.

First thing that came to mind after first Russian ship was the Olympia 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Great photos, Mac. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

Thanks … many, many more to come … assuming there's interest.

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1.1  TTGA  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1    6 years ago
many, many more to come … assuming there's interest.

There's always interest Mac.  These old ones are always wonderful, at least to me.  Whether others are equally interested remains to be seen.  Some of the people who participated in the previous series are, regrettably, no longer here.  We can only hope that there are enough people who are interested in photographic history.

The Retvizan was an interesting ship.  She was the fourth ship of that name in the Russian Navy.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say about her:

Russian battleship  Retvizan - Sunk during the Siege of Port Arthur; salvaged and put into service by the Japanese as Hizen . Sunk as a target in 1924.

It would seem that she was built in your home town.  Also from Wikipedia:

Built 1899–1902
Builder  William Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia

I believe that she was the last warship captured by an enemy navy until the capture of the U-505 by the US Navy in 1944.  The 505 is currently the main exhibit in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  I was there in January of 2011 and got some pictures of her, which I'll post if you want.  Unfortunately, they are not that good as pictures go.  She's an ocean going vessel and the farthest back I could get was about 100 feet.  My camera was a simple one and had no provision for a panoramic lens.  Without one, it's impossible to get the whole ship in one shot from that distance.

The Olympia, of course, is still docked in Philadelphia, although I don't know if she still is able to be visited.  Last I heard, she needed extensive repairs just from the thinning of her hull from erosion of the water passing down her side.  Any idea whether she is still available for visits or if she's in drydock?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  TTGA @3.1.1    6 years ago

She is still there and is still open.....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1    6 years ago
Thanks … many, many more to come … assuming there's interest.

Always interest My friend, they are a real treat!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.4  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1.3    6 years ago

It appears, thanks to NWM, that photo identified is not, in fact, the "Olympia." While, on the one hand that's disappointing, on the other, ACCURACY is strongly desired, and, if determine definitively, will certainly enhance the image.

Thanks to NWM for an important heads up!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.5  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  TTGA @3.1.1    6 years ago

By all means, post the photo!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.6  Nowhere Man  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.5    6 years ago
By all means, post the photo!

Not the same one I showed you in PM's Brother, but one that confirms/identifies it much better in my opinion...

original

You clearly see the row of hatched portholes and the rectangular service hatch on the opposite stern quarter.....

Here's the one I did post to you in PM....

original

I do believe that is the Philadelphia Navy Yard, when she was undergoing conversion of her stern fighting top to cage mast and other SLEP modernization's. (SLEP = Service Life Extension Program, current naval term for major ship modifications)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.7  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1.6    6 years ago

Much appreciated!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.8  Nowhere Man  replied to  TTGA @3.1.1    6 years ago
I was there in January of 2011 and got some pictures of her, which I'll post if you want. 

YES my friend, Post them please!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Additional photo.

original

© A.Mac/A.G.

TTGA
Professor Silent
5  TTGA    6 years ago

Here they are. 

I happened to be at the Museum because on December 22, 2010, a date I will remember for the rest of my life, my wife received a transplanted kidney at the University of Chicago Hospital.  We had to stay in close proximity to the hospital after she was released, for a few weeks so she could get checked every couple of days.  Having nothing else to do, and with the Museum just down Lakeshore Drive a mile or so from our motel, we went through it (NOTE:  pushing a wheelcchair up ramps is not easy).  I'm happy to report that the kidney is still functioning perfectly.

This if a view of the forward half of the ship.  You can see the conning tower in the background.  In order to make the ship fit inside the building, the bridge, which would normally sit on top of the conning tower has been removed and can be seen on the museum floor on the left side of the picture.  The deck gun which would ordinarily sit about half way between the camera and the conning tower has also been removed and is also mounted on the museum floor.

Here is the stern of the sub.  On the bottom of the picture, you can see the rudder and the twin brass screws.  At the top is part of the business end of the ship.  One of the two 22 inch torpedo tubes is open.  This ship had four tubes forward and two tubes aft.

She was captured off the coast of Africa on June 5, 1944, by personnel from a carrier group led by the USS Guadalcanal CVE 60 and commanded by her CO, Captain (Later Rear Admiral) Daniel V. Gallery.  She was towed by the Guadalcanal all the way back to Bermuda.  Since no one was fluent in technical German, the prize crew didn't dare try to unload the torpedo tubes.  All six loaded forward tubes were pointed directly at the stern of the Guadalcanal all the way across the Atlantic.  When the time came to dispose of the sub, she went to the Museum because Captain Gallery was born and raised in Chicago.  U-505 was the first warship captured on the high seas by the US Navy since the end of the War of 1812.  For the capture, the entire Task Group received the Presidential Unit Citation, Captain Gallery received the Legion of Merit and Lieutenant David, the man who went down into a ship that he know had activated demolition charges, in order to disarm them, received the Medal of Honor.

By the way, I highly recommend all of Admiral Gallery's books.  Some are scary (The Brink, U-505) and some are extremely funny Naval humor, (Stand byyyyy to Start Engines, Now Hear This and Cap'n Fatso).  You can probably find them at Amazon; they seem to have at least one of everything in existence

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.1  TTGA  replied to  TTGA @5    6 years ago
June 5, 1944

Oops typo.  Should read, June 4, 1944.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  TTGA @5    6 years ago

Many thanks for these photos … the greatly add to the discussion.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I have with me very few that could be considered vintage photos, and they are portraits, taken around 90 years ago.  The first is one of my paternal great-grandfather, who was still living during my most early years, and the second is of my mother and father at the time of their marriage.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Additional photo posted.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @7    6 years ago

Rickshaws in St. Louis?  Part of a Chinese exhibit?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1    6 years ago

I think it may have been called "Mysterious Asia," but I'll check.