╌>

How chicken soup makes you feel better, according to science

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  10 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Revealed: The secret to chicken soup's medicinal properties.

By Brian Nelson, Mother Nature Network, December 26 2018

Chicken noodle soup is a common cold remedy. (Photo: Oksana Mizina/Shutterstock.com)

When you're sick, there are few things more nourishing than a warm, savory bowl of chicken soup. Though soup recipes vary, chicken broth is a remedy for cold and flu symptoms utilized around the world; its magic is recognized almost ubiquitously.

But what is it that makes chicken soup so soothing? One dietician, Sandy Allonen, at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, has laid out exactly what makes this miracle food so wholesome,   reports MedicalXpress.com .

"Studies have shown that a hearty bowl of chicken noodle soup may help clear nasal congestion and ease cold symptoms," said Allonen. "It's all about the ingredients."

The core of any good soup remedy is the fact that it helps keep you hydrated.

"A clear broth is warm and soothing, making it a great source of hydration while you're sick, especially if you have a sore throat," she added.

Of course, though, any old soup can keep you hydrated. One of the things that makes chicken soup so especially comforting, however, is the fact that it's an excellent source of tryptophan, which helps your body produce serotonin, a mood-enhancing neurotransmitter. This can be a real game-changer when you're dealing with debilitating cold symptoms.

Chicken can also be a good source of some key immunity-boosting nutrients like B vitamins.

Spices aren't just window dressing

It's not just about the chicken, though. The seasonings added to chicken soup recipes can enhance it significantly, even seasonings that are typically viewed as unhealthy additions, like salt.

"You may think added salt and other seasonings aren't great for you, but in moderation, these spices can help combat the feeling of dull taste buds," noted Allonen. "A loss of taste is common in a cold, but as with any flavor enhancer, salt is great for getting you to eat more."

Even noodles can be a welcome addition, because carbohydrates help add calories when you might otherwise have a loss of appetite. That gives you energy, which your body needs to combat illness.

Most chicken soups are also loaded with healthy vegetables that add to its nutrient content. Common combinations involving carrots, celery, and onion infuse the broth with vitamins C and K, as well as other antioxidants and minerals.

And then there's also just the steam that a hearty soup provides, which opens airways and even has a mild anti-inflammatory effect that can help relax your muscles.

So if you're feeling down this cold and flu season, this is one remedy that both moms everywhere and scientists can agree on: eat your chicken soup.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I've always believed in this. Now it's scientifically proven.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    6 years ago

Gives new meaning of the saying, soup for the soul.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

How could anyone disagree with this conclusion. My grandma would beat the shit out of them....

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  Jasper2529    6 years ago

A+ article, Buzz. My wife makes large batches of chicken soup and freezes it for future use. For carbs she uses rice, barley, pasta, or potatoes. Lots of fresh veggies. Lots of chicken for protein. A bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder - ummm ummm good!

During winter months, we enjoy her hearty home made chicken soup with a salad and French bread for lunch or dinner. When sick, just the soup is enough. Either way, her soup is very nourishing.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    6 years ago

Add onions, they have antibacterial properties.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @5    6 years ago

As the article said, add onions, carrots and celery.  My mother, my ex-wife and upon my telling her to do so my present wife ALWAYS added those three vegetables to the mix, for both sweetness and health.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6  Ed-NavDoc    6 years ago

My abuela (grandma) put cilantro in hers. It was great! I have been doing that all my life.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    6 years ago

I was told and feed this when I was little and it has always helped.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8  Sunshine    6 years ago

Has always worked for me. Would make my kids eat it too when they didn't have much of an appetite.  I like to have some saltine crackers with it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sunshine @8    6 years ago

Yep. Saltine crackers, even good when you break them up and throw them into the soup - even good soggy.