╌>

A RETURN to "THE SCENE"? I Suppose I Will Never Know … but Choose to Believe it to be!

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  a-macarthur  •  5 years ago  •  13 comments

A RETURN to "THE SCENE"? I Suppose I Will Never Know … but Choose to Believe it to be!

On May 4, 2016 at 12:10 PM … I took this photograph of a newborn White-tailed Deer fawn. Within the first thirty minutes of its life, it walked wobbly down the slope of its birthplace -- my back yard -- and nestled itself in an old washtub I saved from my father's house after he had passed on.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

My back yard is at the edge of an area of forest that the City of Philadelphia has kept in its natural state, a part of a huge park system, which, among other attributes, contains the largest, wild deer population of any urban area in the world! Deer, foxes, raccoons, opossums … skunks … a number of bird species, box turtles, garter and ribbon snakes, Cottontail Rabbits and other critters frequent the yard continuously; consequently, I always have a camera and a 200-500mm zoom lens on a tripod in my family room which faces the yard and the forest.

Today at 2:22 PM, I took this shot (and 63 others) … and wonder if THIS IS THAT FAWN-IN-A-WASHTUB returning to the place of his first "breather".

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." _ Albert Einstein

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    5 years ago

Did you turn the washtub towards the fence after you took your "Famous Fawn Foto"?  The buck looks a little confused, and perhaps that's the reason why, if in fact it's the same one. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    5 years ago

The angle of the tub is different although it rests pretty much on or close to the original photo. I'll never know if the fawn and the buck are one-in-the-same, but, it makes for an interesting yet somewhat tantalizing thing to ponder.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    5 years ago

Very cool and being in a city with a forest park at your back yard is great  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3  author  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

Where is everyone?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    5 years ago

I am back !

Good question you ask about that buck.

Makes one wonder.

When I was young folks used to say the bucks get an additional point per year. From what I understand, that has been disproved.

TTGA
Professor Silent
4.2  TTGA  replied to  dave-2693993 @4    5 years ago

Yep, as MUVA said, it is a myth.  Deer don't get more points on their antlers with age.  Two factors enter into size and configuration.  First is genetics, they inherit the ability to get a certain number and size.  Usually the genetic ability to have large sets of antlers is pretty widespread since the bucks with the largest sets of antlers are the most likely to win the fights over breeding rights.  Second is diet.  Adequate amounts of foods with high levels of calcium and water that has absorbed that mineral produce large strong antlers.

Beautiful shots Mac.  It's hard to tell the size and age of the older deer from the picture (the only thing of a consistent size to measure them with is the washtub) but, after four years, it could be the same buck or it could be the son of the original fawn.  Deer usually start breeding after the first full year of life but it usually takes them another year to get enough size and strength to actually be able to assemble a group of does and fight off the other bucks.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    5 years ago

Could remember I guess.

Keep to its territory.

Right next to the washtub. Great shot.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

That would be really something Mac. 

Beautiful shot of him. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7  author  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

That would be really something Mac. 

In my thoughts, I will let it be the same animal … while in my intellect, I will always know … I will never know.

Best case scenarios … "The Fawn and the Buck" could possibly, if not plausibly be one-in-the-same. And I consider myself damned fortunate to "own" such a quandary.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     5 years ago

Ahhh, my favorite photo, fawn in a tub. I'm sure that the buck was once the fawn in the tub.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9  author  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

I took a number of photos of the handsome, antlered, young buck yesterday; I will post a number of them in a new article shortly … and once posted, will place a link to the article here.

It's posted!