╌>

Not 10 but 15 China Photos Chosen From My Collection

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  12 comments

"I'm Going On An Adventure!" Bilbo Baggin in Lord of the Rings

During my 12 1/2 years in China I have seen a fair bit of China and its historic and interesting and beautiful sites, and I have taken thousands of photos.  Over the years I've been posting, first on NV and now on this site, photo essays and articles of what I have seen and learned.  Many more recent members have not seen a lot of my photo essays so I have re-edited and framed photos that I have randomly chosen from my collection.  As I have been doing, I post a new photo essay every couple of days or so.  Two members have already told me that they have learned quite a bit about China from the photo essays and articles I post.  Being here has been the adventure of my life, I hope you all enjoy seeing some of the things that I have seen.

1.   Joss sticks (incense) burning in front of a Buddhist temple.  To worship a deity, one lights the ends of at least 3 joss sticks, plants them in a sandbox in front of the temple, enters and bows 3 times before a Buddha, says a prayer, may leave a donation and leave. 

2.   On less travelled streets the shops extend their goods out over the sidewalks.

3.   A nighttime view of Chongqing buildings sloping down to the Jialing River.

4.   An ancient Chinese astronomical instrument displayed in the Henan Provincial Museum in Zhengzhou. In the background near the right you can just make out part of the statue of the astronomer who used it. In a recently posted photo essay I displayed his photo, with the image of the moon behind him.

5.   Golden statues representing some of the 12 Chinese astrological figures. In a couple of weeks we will be entering the Year of the Pig. 

6.   A night view from a bridge over the river flowing through Liuzhou in Guanxi Autonomous Region.

7.   These huge heads carved out of the mountaintop stone represent the two founders of China. One might say it's China's Mount Rushmore.  You can determine their size from the tiny figures of persons climbing on the right.  It is located in Yellow River Park, near Zhengzhou in Henan Province.  The Yellow River in this area is said to have been the cradle of the Chinese civilization. 

8.   From my first visit to Chongqing, about 11 years ago - I was standing on the steps of the Three Gorges Dam Museum where artifacts are displayed that were rescued from the banks of the Yangtze River while the great Three Gorges Dam was being constructed, before they were covered by the rising river.  In the background is the Chongqing Hall of the People (City Hall) and the City Square.  

9.   Three Golden Deities, located in the same building as the astrological statues posted above.

10.   A street scene in the Pudong District of Shanghai.  We stayed in a small hotel on that street.

11.   Lord Bao's palace located in Millennium Park in Kaifeng, Henan Province.  

12.   A diorama of citizens appealing to Lord Bao, located in the palace above.

13.   Modern buildings located in Nanning, Guanxi Autonomous Region

14.   A pagoda near the entrance to the Yellow River Park, Zhengzhou.

15.   Both Buzz and his calcified buddy are unhappy that this is the end of the article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

So much more to come....

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

The Mount Rushmore is quite impressive. I didn't see that the times that I was in China. 

The last photo should be untitled ''Mr. Grump and Friend''....LOL 

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3  nightwalker    5 years ago

Great pictures.

In that last picture I'm surprised they let people get that close to the artwork, even if it is outside. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  nightwalker @3    5 years ago

It was a double-seat bench so it was actually an encouragement to sit next to it.  Except where the items are ancient artifacts that are protected, you get pretty close to things, even touch some, and now that you mentioned that I rarely ever saw a guard anywhere.  The golden astrological statues were guarded but you could still get pretty close to them.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
3.1.1  nightwalker  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago

Couldn't do that in the U.S. those statues would be behind eight inches of armored glass.

Definitely different cultures. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Always fun - keep 'em comin'!

The two photos of Lord Bao's palace make me wonder what the government's attitude is to China's feudal past. It kinda contradictory, isn't it?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    5 years ago

I've not seen any indication of the government's attitude one way or the other, but they certainly have not covered up the history of this country.  In fact historical sites are being improved for more tourism. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago

Turning the world upside down in a couple decades. Remarkable......

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

Buzz,

Photograph 8 … at first glance I thought it was Sylvester Stallone in Rocky  standing on the Art Museum steps in Philly before his fight with Apollo Creed …

… frightening similarity …

original

… frightening!

And, another wonderful photo essay from Buzz!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @5    5 years ago

LOL.  Rocky I am not, but thanks anyway...

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

Yo! Adrienne!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @7    5 years ago

Do I really look like Talia Shire?