╌>

Notorious Mormon Gay Conversion Therapist Now Says He Just Wants to Date Men

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  5 years ago  •  22 comments

Notorious Mormon Gay Conversion Therapist Now Says He Just Wants to Date Men
The more vocally anti-gay you are, the greater the odds you harbor same-sex desires.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The more vocally anti-gay you are, the greater the odds you harbor same-sex desires.

I don’t know if that’s an internet law, but it should be. The latest example of that hypocrisy is David Matheson, who spent years telling people gay conversion torture was a reasonable option and wrote a book with a title that suggested gay men weren’t “whole.”

Here he is in the New York Times in 2007:

Mr. Matheson, who holds a master’s in counseling and guidance from Brigham Young University, began full-time practice in New Jersey in 2004 and juggles an active roster of some 50 clients. He charges $240 for a 90-minute session.

Mr. Matheson trained under the psychologist Joseph Nicolosi, president of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality, a prominent secular organization in the ex-gay movement.

The emphasis in Mr. Matheson’s counseling is on helping men — all his clients are male — develop “gender wholeness” by addressing emotional issues and building healthy connections with other men. He said he believed that helped reduce homosexual desires.

“The therapy I do really just uses standard, normal therapeutic principles,” he said. “Cognitive therapy and emotion-based therapy, standard therapeutic approaches, with an emphasis on helping them feel more comfortable in their masculinity.”

And here he is on ABC’s Nightline in 2010:

“For some people ‘gay’ is never going to work. That kind of life and that kind of living is never going to gel — ever — with their value system,” Matheson explained. “For those men, that’s why we exist, so that they can have another way, another approach of dealing with their sexual feelings.”

Now, according to Wayne Besen at Truth Wins Out, private Facebook messages reveal that Matheson has given up on the torture techniques and is on the search for a male partner. Note that he doesn’t apologize for his past behavior and apparently remains a Mormon:

TWO contacted Matheson on Sunday evening and he provided a statement that was surprisingly unrepentant and failed to apologize for the grave harm he has caused many of his clients.

“My time in a straight marriage and in the “ex-gay” world was genuine and sincere and a rich blessing to me. I remember most of it with fondness and gratitude for the joy and growth it caused in me and many others. But I had stopped growing and was starting to die. So I’ve embarked on a new life-giving path that has already started a whole new growth process. I wasn’t faking it all those years. I’m not renouncing my past work or my LDS faith. And I’m not condemning mixed-orientation marriages. I continue to support the rights of individuals to choose how they will respond to their sexual attractions and identity. With that freedom, I am now choosing to pursue life as a gay man.”

Uh-huh… So he gets to escape his bubble and live how he wants while the men he convinced were broken have to live with the consequences of his faith-based brainwashing.

No asking for forgiveness. No acceptance of the fact that you can’t un-gay someone. No rejection of the very methods he now knows don’t work. Just a private announcement that only became public after Besen heard about it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

"The more vocally anti-gay you are, the greater the odds you harbor same-sex desires."

The same goes for all the holy roller NT members.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    5 years ago

Actually it's more along the lines of the guy who runs the AA meetings is also a reformed Alcoholic. This Guy has probably had Gay feelings all his life but was raised in the church so he repressed his desires believing they were sinful. He may have even attended Gay Conversion Therapy himself  It's probably what led him into Gay Conversion Therapy having suppressed his own desires in order to live within the tenents of his religion and may have thought he was helping young men do the same thing. It must be tough when your Religion and your sexual desires are at odds, especially when you're raised in a cultish type of religion like Mormonism. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  zuksam @1.1    5 years ago

Actually it's more along the lines of the guy who runs the AA meetings is also a reformed Alcoholic.

Only if one feels that homosexuality is a disease.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2  Freefaller    5 years ago

I hope he and all his former patients can find contentedness and happiness in whatever life choices they make

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Freefaller @2    5 years ago

They won't.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    5 years ago

The convenience of it all too inconvenient.

Anti gay warriors?  And their goal would be...…………..final solution in the name of a gawd?

This guy wants to date men only?  Real good chance the other options simply just opt out.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    5 years ago

Will he be entering a conversion camp?

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1  epistte  replied to  Veronica @4    5 years ago
Will he be entering a conversion camp?

He has a fabulous makeover and spa treatment planned for that weekend. He is getting married to the pool boy the next weekend. 

How many more times will this happen before people understand and accept the fact that these people who make someone else's sexuality a public issue are deep in the closet themselves?

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.2  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
Kinda stereotyping gay men with your comment.

Apparently, you lack the satire receptor gene...........

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.4  epistte  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.3    5 years ago
I think you owe gays on the site an apology. It's the right thing to do. /s

If they are offended then I will apologize to them.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.7  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
Who lacks the gene I actually have to put a S after the comment for you to get it to funny.

I assumed that it was understood.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2  bbl-1  replied to  Veronica @4    5 years ago

Conversion Camp?  No.  He's angling for a 'position' in the Trumpian WH.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

Hypocrite is his name.....jerk!

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    5 years ago

I have wondered about Pence. His wife always looks miserable.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1  epistte  replied to  Ender @7    5 years ago
I have wondered about Pence. His wife always looks miserable.

I am almost sure that Pence is gay but he has repressed it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  epistte @7.1    5 years ago

He punishes himself for impure thoughts by wearing a cilice every day in his underwear.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
8  Phoenyx13    5 years ago
But I had stopped growing and was starting to die.

i'm told that's impossible if God is on your side... that you'll always grow if God is on your side...

So I’ve embarked on a new life-giving path that has already started a whole new growth process. I wasn’t faking it all those years. I’m not renouncing my past work or my LDS faith.

so you'll keep your faith in God and just be a homosexual even tho supposedly God hates homosexuality ? I'm told you can't be a religious believer in God and still be a homosexual - i think the religious need to get their story "straight", this is getting confusing.

And I’m not condemning mixed-orientation marriages.

mixed-orientation marriages ? what in the world are those ?!

I continue to support the rights of individuals to choose how they will respond to their sexual attractions and identity. With that freedom, I am now choosing to pursue life as a gay man.

riiiiiight... so what about all the harm you have caused in the past to other gay men in the name of your God ?