╌>

'Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act' seeks to strip gay marriage rights

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gordy327  •  5 years ago  •  88 comments

'Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act' seeks to strip gay marriage rights

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Nearly four years after the Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal throughout the U.S. in its landmark Obergefell v. Hodges decision, Republican lawmakers in Tennessee are attempting to turn back the clock with legislation aimed at barring gay marriage in the state. The " Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act ," which was first proposed in 2016, seeks to "defend natural marriage between one man and one woman regardless of any court decision to the contrary." The bill, which was reintroduced on Friday, would deem the high court's Obergefell decision "unauthoritative, void, and of no effect." Introduced by Sen. Mark Pody, R-Lebanon, and Rep. Jerry Sexton, R-Bean Station, the bill also prohibits government officials from facilitating same-sex marriages, and it states that these officials cannot be arrested for disavowing court orders that recognize such unions.

Pody told NBC News the Supreme Court "overstepped its authority" with the Obergefell decision. He claimed marriage is "a state issue, not a federal issue," and therefore, he added, the 2015 ruling is "unconstitutional" and should be rectified."
But while Pody said he strongly believes "marriage should be between a man and a woman," others find the reintroduction of the state's "Natural Marriage Defense Act" to be a major step backward for Tennessee. "As a native Tennessean, it's disappointing to see lawmakers pushing more mean, pointless legislation that would do nothing except single out LGBTQ people in an effort to make us feel less than equal," said Nick Marrow, press secretary for the Human Rights Campaign, a national LGBTQ advocacy group. "Marriage equality is settled law, and if Tennessee wants to continue to be a welcoming destination for businesses, tourists and transplants alike, our representatives need to join us in the year 2019."

The proposed legislation failed in the state's House of Representatives last session, but Chris Sanders, executive director of the Tennessee Equality Project, which lobbies state legislatures on LGBTQ issues, said it's not clear at this point how it will fare this time around. "We'll have a better understanding of the likelihood of the bill passing after the first committee hearing, so that'll be key," Sanders told NBC News. Sanders noted that there's "still some resistance and prejudice" in the state when it comes to LGBTQ people, which is "why this bill keeps coming up." He noted that Tennessee is one of four states that's over 50 percent evangelical Christian. This religious group is among the least likely to support the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people.

One barrier that could prevent the bill's passage, however, is its projected cost. In 2017, the General Assembly estimated that the Natural Marriage Defense Act could cause approximately $9 billion in federal funding to be withheld from the state.
Another obstacle is the state's LGBTQ community and its allies, who have banded together once before to prevent the bill's passage, and plan to do so again. "Tennesseans who are in committed same-sex relationships simply want to be treated with the same dignity and respect as everyone else," Hedy Weinberg, executive director of the ACLU in Tennessee, said. "A handful of state legislators cannot nullify the law of the land and drive our state backward simply because they wish to discriminate. The ACLU of Tennessee, along with many partners, will be working hard to defeat this narrow-minded, blatantly unconstitutional legislation."

The reintroduced "natural marriage" law, however, "isn't the only anti-LGBT bill on the docket right now," noted Sanders. He said there are at least five other bills in the state legislature that may threaten the rights of LGBTQ people in Tennessee. One of these bills, which was introduced in both the state House and Senate (Pody is the sponsor of the Senate bill), seeks to allow private adoption agencies to decline to participate in any child placement services that would "violate the agency's written religious or moral convictions." This type of legislation, which can already be found in 10 states across the U.S., creates barriers for LGBTQ individuals and same-sex couples looking to adopt or foster.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Gordy327    5 years ago
The bill, which was reintroduced on Friday, would deem the high court's Obergefell decision "unauthoritative, void, and of no effect."

So this is Tennessee effectively giving the SCOTUS the middle finger.  Let's see how this blatantly unconstitutional bill works out for them.

it's disappointing to see lawmakers pushing more mean, pointless legislation

Kind of like when states try to pass laws limiting or prohibiting abortion. I predict this bill will fare about as well.

He claimed marriage is "a state issue, not a federal issue,"

Except that statement is wrong and shows an unfamiliarity with established legal precedent.

He noted that Tennessee is one of four states that's over 50 percent evangelical Christian. This religious group is among the least likely to support the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people.

That explains it all right there. Not surprising either.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago
Except that statement is wrong and shows an unfamiliarity with established legal precedent.

Maybe next time he travels outside of Tennessee, his marriage should be declared null and void.  Maybe then he'd understand.

Probably not.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.1  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    5 years ago
Maybe next time he travels outside of Tennessee, his marriage should be declared null and void.  Maybe then he'd understand.

Maybe those states could revoke his citizenship. 3-4 days in the lockup until a judge tells them they cannot do that could be the attitude adjustment that he needs.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.4  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
He would have to have a trial first.

If he is going to throw out the Constitution, they would shouldn't others be able to do the same to him? Turnabout is fair play.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.5  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
I don't agree with this guy but throwing him in jail for a attitude adjustment has civil rights abuse written all over it.

Any nullifying marriages because of his conservative religious beliefs isn't a violation? 

Maybe he would get the hint that payback is a beech.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.9  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
I don't know if it is punishable by jail like I said  don't agree with him.

It isn't punishable by jail but neither is what he is doing is constitutionally permissible.  Tennesse has a problem with the religious and secular rights of others. They tried to ban a Muslim society from building a mosque in Murfreesboro until the courts stepped in and forced them to back down. 

It seems that someone threw bacon on the mosque a few years ago. I hope they were tried for a religious hate crime for their actions. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to    5 years ago

Nope.  He could just make an unpleasant discovery.  For example, if his wife were to pass away, he could be prevented from inheriting their joint estate in totality because their marriage was invalidated.  Perhaps he could be kept from her bedside, if she were in the hospital, or found ineligible to receive half of her Social Security benefits, due to their marriage being nullified.

You know, the same things same-sex couples had to contend with for years, because their marriages weren't recognized nationwide.

No trial involved.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.11  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
I don't agree with this guy but throwing him in jail for a attitude adjustment has civil rights abuse written all over it.

Sounds like it would be karma. If he wants to deny gays their constitutional rights, then maybe his constitutional rights should be denied too?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.12  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    5 years ago
Probably not.

Most certainly not. He would probably just complain he is being targeted or persecuted.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.14  SteevieGee  replied to    5 years ago

I could point out a few hundred Central American refugees who would disagree.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.16  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
Maybe the courts could decide for fuck sake this is exactly why I fear some on the left.

Are you hinting that he should be able to get away with his Christian Sharia beliefs and not suffer any repercussions for it, even if only for a few hours?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.18  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
The thought police no thanks.

Do you understand that I would not have said what I did unless he tried to pass this bigoted religious idea?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.19  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
Maybe the courts could decide for fuck sake this is exactly why I fear some on the left.

Hyperbole much? It's not like such a scenario would actually happen. but it seems to be the right who wants to deny others their rights.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.22  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
Then why post it?

It's a reply.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago
'this is exactly why I fear some on the left.'

Why?  Because we want equality for all?

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.24  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

The courts already HAVE decided for fuck sake and THAT is why I am disgusted with evangelical politicians. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.25  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
He is trying to pass a law and you want to punish him his constituents will vote them out if they disagree or the courts will reject his bill.You seem to want new punishments for people you disagree with that is more dangerous than what he is trying to do with a bill that is going nowhere.  

This is settled law and he knows it. He is pandering to and emboldening religious bigots and he deserves to be punished for it because maybe he will get the message and not try these stupid stunts in the future. His actions put the lives of LGBT in jeapady for being attacked when bigots think that they will be permitted to do so because of their religious beliefs. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.26  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

Why? He has no intention of giving same sex married couples a trial before he nullifies their marriages. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.31  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
No because they want to criminalise political disagreements throwing someone in jail because you disagree with them is anti american even if what the believe in aberrant .

This is not a political disagreement. Obergfell v. Hodges is settled law and they know this fact because Roy Moore tried this stunt 4 years ago and the federal judges slapped him down like an errant housefly. Kim Davis did the same thing in Kentucky and she cooled her heels for 48 hours in the county lockup for her efforts. This bigot is pandering to morons and wants to endanger the lives of LGBT citizens with this partisan charade.   Let him spend the night in the Kim Davis suite at the grey bar hotel and maybe he will get the message to knock it off. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.32  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
I can't believe you posted that too funny

Why MUVA? Were you unaware that the legislation proposes to revoke recognition of the EXISTING marriages of same sex couples who live in TN and to refuse to recognize those marriages performed in other states? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.33  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
He will get shot down by the courts no jail needed.

I'm sure that the people of TN will be happy about the hundreds of thousands that he will cause the state to have to pay for legal fees. One would think that they'd learn a lesson from Kim Davis. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.34  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

I didn't say a word about throwing him in jail. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.36  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
No because they want to criminalise political disagreements throwing someone in jail because you disagree with them is anti american even if what the believe in aberrant .

Does 'LOCK HER UP' ring a bell MUVA? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.37  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

I'll repeat it one more time MUVA. I haven't said a fucking thing about sending anyone to jail. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.39  epistte  replied to  Dulay @1.1.34    5 years ago
I didn't say a word about throwing him in jail. 

I did that. If jail is good enough for Kim Davis then it's good enough for him.  If he wants to continue his homophobic charade he could claim that the state of Tennessee will not obey the Lawerence v. Texas decision and then start arresting LGBT people for sodomy. 

A state cannot refuse to enforce or obey federal law because of the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution, but he seems to think his religious beliefs are a valid reason to try to start.  

The people of Tennessee are poor, they lack healthcare access, and many have opioid addictions so maybe the state legislature should schedule a few hours to address real problems instead of trying to blame LGBT citizens and turn the clock back 50 years. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.41  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

Doubtful. As a resident of Indiana, I have experience in watching the train wreak that Evangelicals have wrought here. They cost the state millions yet STILL were reelected. We were happy to be rid of Pence. He is the neo-nationalist Evangelicals wet dream. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.44  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
You came in in the middle of a conversation about people being thrown in over their political beliefs that is what I was talking about anyway.You responded to my post 1.1.21 so...

That shouldn't preclude you from addressing what I actually said rather than conflating it with other members comments. Try harder. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.46  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
She was held in contempt he is trying to pass legislation there is a difference.

This legislation is obviously unconstitutional and anyone with more than a dozen functional neurons know this.  A state cannot try to overrule or refuse to enforce federal law.  Doing so in this instance would throw the entire legal system into chaos and weaken the power of the SCOTUS in future decisions.  A person's religious beliefs have never been a valid reason to deny others their equal secular rights. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.48  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

Indiana is gerrymandered. The GOP control it all...

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.49  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago

I know what I replied to MUVA. 

You may want to really read it too since YOU didn't say a fucking thing about jail either. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.50  epistte  replied to  Dulay @1.1.48    5 years ago
Indiana is gerrymandered. The GOP control it all...

Ohio is just as bad than to Kasich's gerrymandering in 2011.  Look at how Ohio district-16 changed from 2008 to 2012. The 4th district Jimm Jordan) goes 1/3 of the way across the state.  The 6th is even worse.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.53  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
Come on man admit you are wrong and move on.

Wrong about what exactly? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.54  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
What does that have to do with this guys legislation.

Nothing. It is in reply to your comment:

You: Okay don't vote for people you don't agree with that is what I do too.
Me: Indiana is gerrymandered. The GOP control it all...

Get it now? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.56  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
No you are wrong I was still talking about the guy being punished so again wrong admit it move on.

How am I wrong MUVA? I made a direct reply to your statement. If you can't understand it's relevance, that's on you. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago
So this is Tennessee effectively giving the SCOTUS the middle finger.  Let's see how this blatantly unconstitutional bill works out for them.

You can't fix stupid.

Someone should explain the Constitution's supremacy clause to these "states rights" homophobic bigots, but they probably tried to do the same thing 50+ plus years ago after the Civil Rights Act passed.  These people claim that they want the Constitution obeyed but what they want is the weaker Articles of Confederation instead of the US Constitution that created a stronger federal government and weaker states. 

Alabama (Roy Moore) tried this same nonsense after Obergefell and they were shot down but apparently, there are conservative legislators who need to pander to constituents so they are trying this stunt.  Maybe they could repeal Roe v. Wade or Engel v. Vitale in Tennesse after this partisan idiocy doesn't survive judicial review. 

Pody told NBC News the Supreme Court "overstepped its authority" with the Obergefell decision. He claimed marriage is "a state issue, not a federal issue," and therefore, he added, the 2015 ruling is "unconstitutional" and should be rectified."
But while Pody said he strongly believes "marriage should be between a man and a woman," others find the reintroduction of the state's "Natural Marriage Defense Act" to be a major step backward for Tennessee.

It would seem that he didn't get the news about how did the same claim worked out for Kim Davis.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @1.2    5 years ago
You can't fix stupid.

At least not this level of stupid. I'm beginning to think some of these conservative states try to outdo each other with legislative stupidity like this bill or abortion bills, ect., like some stupidity competition.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.2  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.1    5 years ago
At least not this level of stupid. I'm beginning to think some of these conservative states try to outdo each other with legislative stupidity like this bill or abortion bills, ect., like some stupidity competition.

I can't wait until they try to repeal Roe v. Wade, Engel v. Vitale, or the 14th Amendment at the state level. 

I'd like to see all candidates take the US citizenship exam, the ASVAB, and the MMPI as a precursor of their candidacy. They would be no minimum score but the voters should be aware of the intelligence and mental faculties of the people who they might elect for public office. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.4  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
I can agree with that stupid isn't illegal look at AOC.

What does Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have to do with this bigot's actions?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.6  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
He brought up stupid legislation I think the  new green deal is stupid legation that may be proposed.   

I like the concept of the Green New Deal, but it needs many obvious bugs worked out.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.8  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
I can go a few thing myself I work with Etec outboards the EPA rule have made better engines in the long run she wants those done away with too.

I wasn't aware that 2-strokes were still legal to produce. I thought they had been banned 10 years ago. 

I don't like the current EPA Tier 4 diesel regulations. They have been pushed faster than technology can implement them reliably.  Roll them back to Tier-3 or just T-3.5 and give engine makers another 3-4 years for development. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Kavika   replied to  epistte @1.2.8    5 years ago

I believe that the 2 stoke DFI are still legal...My last engine was a Yahama 175 4 stroke (2016) Before that I had a Mercury 200 DFI (Optimax 2010)

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.12  epistte  replied to    5 years ago
The new G2 Etec engines are more fuel efficient and less have less carbon output with afar better power to weight ratio  sorry for the commercial.

I had to Wiki' it because I had never heard of E-TEC engine technology.  Thanks for mentioning it.   I'll waste a few hours later digging deeper into it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.15  Kavika   replied to    5 years ago
lock and you can set the effort level joystick steering  I dock self docking mode.

I've not seen the joystick steering or the self docking mode...That would be very cool.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.17  Kavika   replied to    5 years ago
I don't want them to buy a problem.

Good thinking, that is the best way to keep a customer happy and coming back.

BTW, are you  talking inboard or outboard with the joystick and self docking mode?

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.2.18  charger 383  replied to  epistte @1.2.8    5 years ago

Tier 4 train locomotives have caused major problems for locomotive builders and they are not selling well 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2  Freefaller    5 years ago

Even were it to pass politically at the state level it would ultimately fail legally at the state or federal level.  But hey more lawyers would get rich at the taxpayers expense so that's a silver lining right?

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1  epistte  replied to  Freefaller @2    5 years ago
Even were it to pass politically at the state level it would ultimately fail legally at the state or federal level.  But hey more lawyers would get rich at the taxpayers expense so that's a silver lining right?

Maybe they think that they might have a chance at overturning SCOTUS decisions with Trump's conservative federal judges. I wish that these people were forced to pay for the legal costs personally instead of the state.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  epistte @2.1    5 years ago
I wish that these people were forced to pay for the legal costs personally instead of the state.

That would be awesome

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.2  epistte  replied to  Freefaller @2.1.1    5 years ago
That would be awesome

That would temper some of this legislative stupidity.  Repeal Citizens United so those costs couldn't be paid by PACs. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3  Dulay    5 years ago

So I guess these mental midgets in Tennessee what to go back to before the Loving decision. 

After reading the article, I wonder where Trump will come down on this legislation. He COULD give Tennessee a waiver and let them have Federal funding even after defying the SCOTUS. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dulay @3    5 years ago
So I guess these mental midgets in Tennessee what to go back to before the Loving decision. 

Don't go giving them any more ideas.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Dulay  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1    5 years ago

Their lawyers will have to address that very point. If the SCOTUS has no jurisdiction over marriage, then WHY did Tennessee acquiesce to the Loving ruling? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    5 years ago

Pody told reporters that, "The Supreme Court overstepped its boundaries."

Well, damn them Court folk.  How dare them expand rights for anyone or anything that is not a Corporate or LLC.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1  epistte  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago
Pody told reporters that, "The Supreme Court overstepped its boundaries." Well, damn them Court folk.  How dare them expand rights for anyone or anything that is not a Corporate or LLC.

Do they also want to nullify Loving v. Virginia and Reynolds v. US? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @4.1    5 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.