╌>

Change.Org Petition Asks U.S. To Sell Montana To Canada To Get Rid Of National Debt

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Change.Org Petition Asks U.S. To Sell Montana To Canada To Get Rid Of National Debt

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It looks like some Americans are starting to take their national debt into their own hands. A rather hilarious change.org petition is asking the U.S. government to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to "eliminate the national debt."

The petition has accumulated over 3,000 signatures in the span of two days and continues to get more.

"We have too much debt and Montana is useless. Just tell them it has beavers or something," Ian Hammond, the petition's creator, wrote in its description.

Additional reasons commenters have listed for getting rid of the state include "Montana ruins the USA'S A E S T H E T I C" and "the population is so insignificant they just have to move to a different square state."

Montanans also seem to be on board with the idea.

"I think this would benefit us all and being from Montana and having relatives in Canada I know the benefits of being Canadian," one commenter wrote.

"Montana will get legal weed, health care and decent hockey. It's a win win," another user chimed in.

"I've been a resident of Montana my entire life, and quite frankly I'm sick of the US's complete and utter disregard for human life. I'll take Canadas health care, education, and freedom over the US's money grubbing system. Also, Canada gets all of Glacier Park and some of Yellowstone," a rather passionate supporter added.

Other commenters who signed the petition also offered suggestions about what other states they'd like to see become part of New Canada.

"Sell Wyoming and Idaho too who cares about them."

"How about California... All those Wildfires are causing debt, let the queen deal with it."

"I'm signing this because I hope Minnesota is next."

Constitutionally, it would be pretty hard for the U.S. federal government to sell a state, as that would likely violate the right to self-determination that each state has through the 10th Amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Besides, seeing as America's national debt is well over $22 trillion , we're not sure how much selling Montana will help, but hey, if we buy Montana as our 11th province, we get some cool glaciers and a good chunk of Yellowstone National Park.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago

As a Cdn I just thought this was a funny piece.  Not really interested in Montana or any of the other states mentioned, now if someone offers us Hawaii I can definitely get behind that.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    5 years ago

No, no, no, not Montana. Sell them North Dakota and South Dakota. Two for the price of one.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  pat wilson @2    5 years ago

No, no, no again.

Sell them D.C.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1    5 years ago
Sell them D.C.

You would have to pay us a trillion dollars for that

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Freefaller @2.1.1    5 years ago

LOL

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @2.1.1    5 years ago

If we paid you $1 trillion it would be a great deal for the US. 

What you'd be getting is a group of people that couldn't manage a one car funeral. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    5 years ago

Lol I never said we would take the politicians

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  pat wilson @2    5 years ago
Sell them North Dakota and South Dakota

Lol no thanks I am still going to hold out for Hawaii

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

I'd try to sell everything between Colorado and Illinois... but I kinda doubt Canada would want it...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 years ago

Lol yeah, tell them it has Beavers ...... that should seal the deal ....jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Sparty On @4    5 years ago

We do love our beavers (well about half of us do anyway)jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Freefaller @4.1    5 years ago

The other half like the “back” bacon .....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I just noticed this seed and I'm still laughing.  As a Canadian, I, along with Freefaller, would only consider such a proposal if it were for Hawaii.  Canada once seriously considered buying the Turks and Caicos Caribbean islands and I wish they had gone through with it.  I spent too much money in Florida during Canadian winters.  Who wants Yellowstone anyway?  That would mean buying into a super-volcano - the Hawaii volcanoes are much less dangerous.  In any event, the price asked for Montana would cost every Canadian man woman and child $30,000 each so screw that.  Besides, we have enough Beavers. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    5 years ago
would cost every Canadian man woman and child $30,000 each so screw that.

Maybe for Hawaii but definitely not for a state that's just as cold as where I am now.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    5 years ago

"Besides, we have enough Beavers."

Sure you don't want to rethink that talking point?