╌>

Macron declares that anti-Zionism is a form of anti-Semitism

Category:  World News

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Macron...criticized a “resurgence of anti-Semitism unseen since World War II,” which the French leader said is not only happening in France but in “all of Europe and most Western democracies.”The president also added that “anti-Zionism is one of the modern forms of anti-Semitism.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Macron, who spoke at a dinner attended by leaders of the Jewish community in Paris on Wednesday, criticized a "resurgence of anti-Semitism unseen since World War II."

French President Emmanuel Macron addresses a press conference at the United Nations on Sept. 19, 2017. Credit: U.N. Photo/Kim Haughton.

(February 21, 2019   /   JNS  Jewish News Syndicate)

French President Emmanuel Macron announced that he would crackdown on the “scourge” of anti-Semitism in his country, just days after tens of thousands gathered to protest the rise in anti-Semitic incidents in the country.

Macron, who spoke at a dinner attended by leaders of the Jewish community in Paris on Wednesday, criticized a “resurgence of anti-Semitism unseen since World War II,” which the French leader said is not only happening in France but in “all of Europe and most Western democracies.”

The president also added that “anti-Zionism is one of the modern forms of anti-Semitism.”

Macron also spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by phone on Wednesday, where the French leader told Netanyahu that he would adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of anti-Semitism. Netanyahu expressed his appreciation for the decision, the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement.

The World Jewish Congress welcomed the move by Macron, saying that “This is just the beginning of a long road ahead. Adopting this definition of anti-Semitism must be followed by concrete steps to encode into law and ensure that this is enforced.”

Both Germany and the United Kingdom have adopted the IHRA definition, with the European Union also adopting an amended version of the definition.

The moves by Macron took place the same week as tens of thousands of people engaged in approximately 70 rallies across the country to reject anti-Semitism and show support for French Jews, who have reported a 74 percent increase in anti-Semitic attacks in the last year.

The rallies, held under the motto “That’s Enough,” were attended by representatives of all the major religions in France and supported across the political spectrum.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Finally!!!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Exactly. Anti-zionism is just a leftwing dog whistle. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Unfortunately Macron's a little late to realize that his delay in saying this caused a lot of good people to flee his country. His delay in doing something substantial about it will cause even more loss.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: We agree about the delay.

Better late than never.

He is now speaking about against it.

We need that here in the USA.

Enoch. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Enoch @3    5 years ago

It will be hard to move the entrenched antisemitism in our government. See Omar as an example. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov @3.1    5 years ago

I'd be a lot more worried if Bernie Sanders or any other BDS supporter become POTUS.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    5 years ago

Why the 'hoopla' about Macron?  Barely a whisper about Bannon's rantings in Europe and elsewhere or his buddy Gorka's musings these past few months.

Anti-Semitism is a right wing by product.  It is a fact that the right wing causes many to have that 'moment of pause'.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4.1  Cerenkov  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago

Sad deflection is sad.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago

A very small faction of the right wing, being the neo-Nazis, KKK and skinheads may well have been the leaders of it, but what is really concerning me is how much and how fast it is now growing in the left wing.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2    5 years ago

Left wing?  Where?  How?  By whom?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.1    5 years ago

BDS has been declared to be antisemitic by enough leaders (Macron, Trudeau, US State governors or there would not be about half of them having anti-BDS legislation happening in their States. It's NOT a free speech issue, it's downright a delegitimization of Israel, an intent to destroy the only true democracy in the Middle East.  By whom?  Bernie Sanders, Omar, Tlieb, all support BDS. It isn't the right wing that are demonstrating at universities and colleges when an Israeli speaker TRIES to speak there, and making Jewish students lives harrowing. Black Lives Matter supports BDS, and are BLM right or left wing?  What about Linda Sarsour? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.2    5 years ago

What about Steve Bannon?  Or Richard Spencer?  Or Sebastian Gorka? 

See where this 'circle jerk' will go? 

Besides, is your point that all things Israeli are by destiny, purely faultless?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.3    5 years ago

Either there are a lot of dense members on this site or else they are just purposely trying to get my goat.  It seems that I have to post at least once a day that fair criticism of Israel is NOT antisemitic.  According to the definitions of antisemitism of both the Ottawa Protocol and the International Holocaust Memorial Association, one or both of which have been adopted by pretty well every civilized western nation in the world (INCLUDING the USA) fair criticism of Israel is not antisemitism, but holding it to a double standard, i.e. greater than any other nation IS antisemitism because the only difference is that Israel is JEWISH. 

How can I accuse anyone of antisemitism if their criticism of Israel is fair and appropriate when I myself have over the years been critical of the Israeli government, its PM, Judiciary, IDF, settlers and Haradim (ultra orthodox)?  And I HAVE been.  Must I relate the issues where I have been critical over and over again as well? 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friends: Anyone living life with hatred in their heart isn't living life right.  

Religious, racial, ethnic, gender, cultural or other forms of bigotry stain the collective souls of human kind. 

I support, and am proud of each and every one of you who call it out where ever it rears it individual and collective ugly head.

Peace and Abundant Blessings To Us All.

Enoch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @5    5 years ago

An, but Enoch, as you have seen there are still those on this very site who are the deniers...

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Let's hope they join the fold.

If and when they do, they shall be most welcomed.

E.