╌>

MUSLIM STANDS UP FOR ISRAEL AT UN HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL

Category:  World News

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  15 comments

“This council has repeatedly demonized Israel while ignoring Palestinian terror attacks and the real victims of human rights abuses across the globe,” Hafeez said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“This council has repeatedly demonized Israel while ignoring Palestinian terror attacks and the real victims of human rights abuses across the globe,” Hafeez said.

BY MAAYAN JAFFE-HOFFMAN, Jerusalem Post, MARCH 21, 2019

Kasim Hafeez at UN Human Rights Council (Screenshot/Daniel Ostrem). (photo credit: SCREENSHOT/DANIEL OSTREM)

Kasim Hafeez, a British Muslim and former Islamist who is now a proud Zionist who stands with Israel, spoke out at the United Nations Human Rights Council against their condemnation of Israel’s actions in Gaza.

WASHINGTON – On Monday, Kasim Hafeez, Christians United for Israel’s (CUFI) Middle East Analyst, addressed diplomats at a meeting of the United Nations Human Right Council (UNHRC) in Geneva, Switzerland. Hafeez spoke about the rampant anti-Semitism driving the UN body.  

pic.twitter.com/SmAR3E7TMl

— CUFI (@CUFI)   March 18, 2019

“As this body recently displayed by brazenly lying about Israel’s actions in Gaza, hatred towards the Jewish state persists,” Hafeez said. “This council has repeatedly demonized Israel while ignoring Palestinian terror attacks and the real victims of human rights abuses across the globe.”

Referring to his own background, Hafeez mentioned that hatred was so ingrained in his identity “that in my early 20s I decided that terrorism, murdering civilians who did not see the world as I did in order to advance my agenda, was my calling.”

A trip to Israel gave Hafeez a new perspective and showed him “that the media reports and international condemnations of the Jewish state were lies. Israel is a free and democratic state.”  

Last week, Hafeez took part in the #DigiTell, a gathering of 100 pro-Israel bloggers and social network managers from all over the world.

Hafeez grew up being exposed to radical anti-Western, antisemitic and anti-Israel ideas on what he describes as a daily basis. During his teenage years, Hafeez embraced a radical Islamist ideology and became very active in the anti-Israel movement.

But in the early 2000s, he came across Alan Dershowitz’s book,   The Case for Israel .

“I was so convinced that I was right, I bought the book and read it to essentially read the ‘Zionist lies' for myself,’” he told   The Jerusalem Post . “I was presented with ideas and arguments I had never come across in all my years of being anti-Israel. While I did dismiss them all as lies, I did however want to reassure myself that I was right.”

So, he read a few more books.

“I began to see a lack of factual argument on the anti-Israel side, a lot of rhetoric and emotion but little fact,” he said.

Hafeez began a period of “research” that lasted almost two years and culminated in his being torn: on the one hand he couldn’t accept that his hatred of Jews and Israel was wrong, but on the other hand, nothing was validating it. In 2007, he traveled to Israel for the first time, “hoping to have the nightmare scenario and see apartheid and racism to reaffirm my hatred.”

“Seeing the reality, meeting the people, talking to Arabs and Jews, I realized that I was wrong and, ultimately, fell in love with Israel,” he said. “When I got back to the UK, I felt obligated to just tell the truth. How many minds had I poisoned with lies I believed while never having set foot in Israel?”

As Hafeez began to speak out, he no longer felt safe in the UK.

“To live constantly looking over your shoulder is no way to live,” he said. “But ultimately... you can’t allow bullying and intimidation to scare you into submission. I’ve dealt with threats and hostile campuses, and it won’t stop me from speaking the truth. In fact, that climate makes it even more essential to speak the truth.”

Today, Hafeez works for Christians United for Israel (CUFI) and said that the organization has a digital reach of millions, which it uses to mobilize individuals to action for Israel.

The ministry’s Daniel said the two-day seminar, which ran from March 12 and 13, was meant to engage people like Hafeez with others in the same space and provide them with new tools and best practices for telling their stories on social media. Around 100 participants came from 17 countries, with a heavy focus on participants from Europe, he said.

Each of the participants is independent and receives no ministry funding. Rather, it is more like a support group.

“They receive a lot of hate for what they do [for Israel],” said Daniel, noting that the #DigiTell concept was founded one year ago this March for that reason. “We would like to empower them in the way that we can.”

Jackie Goodall, the founder of the Ireland Israel Alliance, seconded Daniel’s sentiments. She said people in the pro-Israel social media space have been labeled "hasbara trolls," a nasty term that those who are anti-Israel use to try to shame and intimidate.

“They are trying to say that we are some kind of undercover operation, that it is not legitimate to so support the State of Israel,” she continued. “These people make us out to be Nazis, when all we are doing is standing up for the State of Israel and trying to combat BDS (the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement).”

Goodall came to Israel for the first time in 2003, and said she, like Hafeez, was “very surprised to find a modern, vibrant, democratic country that is very diverse in terms of its ethnic population: Jews, Arabs, working together.”

Then, she learned about the BDS movement and became aware of the hatred being spewed against Israel by various individuals and organizations on the web.

“I thought, ‘This is not true, this is not the Israel I know and love,’” said Goodall. “So, I decided to do something about it.”

She recently launched her organization, which reaches around 200,000 people per month in Ireland. The organization is looking to expand its YouTube, Facebook and Instagram presence to reach even more individuals.

Goodall said Ireland is perceived as one of the most hostile countries in Europe toward Israel. The Irish parliament is working to pass a law criminalizing commercial activity by Irish citizens within areas of Israel over the pre-1967 lines.

“We believe this legislation is immoral, discriminatory and illegal,” Goodall said, explaining that Ireland cannot act alone on this matter because it is part of the EU’s single market, and as a result it must abide by its policies.

The European Union has labeled but not banned Israeli products produced over the pre-1967 lines. Passage of the bill would put Ireland in breach of EU law and would open it up to legal action from the EU, including monetary fines that could cost Ireland millions of Euros.

In protest of the legislation, the Ireland Israel Alliance gathered 100 pro-Israel activists in Dublin for a rally in February. The group erected a stand to sell chocolate, wine and other products made in the West Bank. They took pictures of those who purchased items holdings signs that read, “We are Irish citizens, and we also buy products from Judea and Samaria.”

“We stood there for two hours and no one had a negative comment,” Goodall said. “Many people did not even know about the anti-Israel legislation.”

She told the Post that she believes Ireland’s BDS community is small, but loud, active and organized, which gives the impression that most people in Ireland hate Israel and are against it. She said she hopes her group will help combat that perception.

Hafeez said he believes the struggle for Israel is “one of the most important struggles of our time.”

He said that with the rise of antisemitism and anti-Israel sentiment, it’s easy to become fixated on the negative. That the #DigiTell network exists is a testament to the diverse group of individuals working toward a shared objective.

“Israel is not just a Jewish cause; it is a cause for anyone who values truth, freedom and human rights,” Hafeez said. “If those values mean anything to you, then you cannot be silent.”

Jerusalem Post staff  contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Adding another righteous Muslim to my list of Muslim heroes.

The truth is hard to accept, isn't it?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Now if a Jew stood up for Palestine maybe we could find a road to peace there.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.2  Cerenkov  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    5 years ago

There are plenty of apologists for the Gaza terrorists. Just check out Congress. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    5 years ago

Jews have been standing up for Palestine for many years, SteevieGee, but it hasn't brought the Palestinian/Hamas leaders to try to make peace with the Israelis. 

Examples: Jews for Justice in Palestine, J-Street, Bernie Sanders.....

Israel has made concessions, released hundreds of prisoners with blood on their hands (some of whom returned to creating more terror), given up land for peace, declared a moratorium on settlement building in attempts to bring about peace, but the Arabs have made no concessions, will not even negotiate, even when offered 95% then even 97% of their demands and then STILL walked away from the table.  I think you should educate yourself about this before commenting, Steevie, like Hafeez did.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    5 years ago

You are simplifying the situation far too much.  There are things Israel will never negotiate with the Palestinians that are deal breakers.

Water rights:

Meanwhile, the PA contends that water is a final-status issue, to be negotiated in a final peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians, and that signing this agreement would not have any effect on any future political negotiations with Israel.

Speaking to reporters in Ramallah on July 18, Ghoneim acknowledged that the deal is only a band-aid. "The crisis won't end until Israel's occupation ends and we secure our water rights in the three underground basins under Israel's control," he said.

"The water being given to us as part of the agreement is our right because we have a share in the coast of the Dead Sea. This has nothing to do with negotiations on a final [settlement] with Israel."

Under the Oslo Accords, signed between Palestinians and Israel more than two decades ago, Israel retained control of most water resources in the West Bank (80 percent), with the remaining 20 percent going to Palestinians. But the accords, which were meant to be temporary, have left Israelis consuming four times more water per person than Palestinians.

accept less than what is fair.

For example, the three parties agreed in December 2013 to a Memorandum of Understanding on Regional Water Sharing, involving a desalination plant to be built at Aqaba, Jordan , coupled with a water swap between Israel and Jordan, and a sale of water by Israel to the Palestinians. For three years, Israel insisted on a price for the water that the PA considered unreasonably high and unfair. After the recent intervention by the US envoy, the PA found the price "acceptable" even though it was higher than prices it pays for other water from Israel. The PA's acceptance is understandable only in the context of the intense pressure Palestinians face from ongoing water shortages and an inadequate infrastructure throughout its territories, a direct consequence of Israeli control. 

Israel has been able to use its occupying power to extract well over its fair share of water from the main aquifer that lies below the West Bank . Using mechanisms imposed by its army and established by the Oslo agreements, Israel severely limits Palestinian access to that aquifer, and to the surface water of the Jordan River.

The 1995 Oslo Interim Agreement established a joint water committee (JWC) to review and approve all water projects in the West Bank, with the stated objective to enhance cooperation. Unfortunately, the reality is that Israeli water experts have used this JWC process to delay or disapprove Palestinian water projects until Palestinians agree to approve water projects favouring Israel's expanded (and illegal) settlement programme. The effect: a "quid pro quo" policy, with the Palestinian water system held hostage to Israel's expanding settlement activity.

Those resources - the West Bank's mountain aquifer and the Sea of Galilee - give Israel about 60% of its fresh water, a billion cubic metres per year.

Heated arguments rage about the rights to the mountain aquifer. Israel, and Israeli settlements, take about 80% of the aquifer's flow, leaving the Palestinians with 20% .

Israel says the proportion of water it uses has not changed substantially since the 1950s. The rain which replenishes the aquifer may fall on the occupied territory, but the water does flow down into pre-1967 Israel.

But the Palestinians say they are prevented from using their own water resources by a belligerent military power, forcing hundreds of thousands of people to buy water from their occupiers at inflated prices.

Moreover, Israel allocates to its citizens, including those living in settlements in the West Bank deemed illegal under international law, between three and five times more water than the Palestinians.

This, Palestinians say, is crippling to their agricultural economy.

With water consumption outstripping supply in both Israel and the Palestinian territories, Palestinians say they are always the first community to be rationed as reserves run dry, with the health problems that entails.

Jerusalem

If you cannot believe Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs page what can you believe?  As for the free access part- all you have to do is read the news to find out how many times Temple Mount has been closed to Palestinian males of any age.

Settlements being removed from the West Bank; the West Bank and Gaza becoming a unified entity by a land bridge; and "the right of return".

This article from one of the Palestinian negotiators of the Oslo Accords sums it up nicely.  He unfortunately doesn't call out the corrupt PA; nor Hamas. Both of which have no interest in peace, and are far more concerned staying in power than fixing their peoples' problems.

My conclusion

Any peace deal offered by the Israelis would leave the Palestinians defenseless; forced to pay far more in resources (mostly water) to Israel than using the resources that are already on their land; and wouldn't give them a viable connected state.

Oh, and before you jump on me for being anti Semitic- you will notice I called out both the PA and Hamas.  Neither entity has been, or ever will be, for the Palestinian people.  Unfortunately, like our two party system that is what they are stuck with.

It is nice that there are Muslims (in this case a former Muslim) and Jews that are willing to see the other side; and fight for peace. Unfortunately they are way too few to make a difference.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.4    5 years ago

Nothing you wrote would give anyone cause to accuse you of antisemitism.  

You said "former Muslim"?  Do you know something about him that is contrary to the first four words of the article?  "Kasim Hafeez, a British Muslim..."

There are issues that can be solved, such as the water issue.  However, there are historical, treaty, conferences like San Remo, and legal reasons why Judea, Samaria, Jerusalem and Golan Heights ARE part of Israel - the territories may be disputed but they are not occupied, unless you consider the Arabs to be "occupying" some of the lands.  The fact that the Palestinians REQUIRE and will not give up the "right of return" for the refugees, their children, their grandchildren, their great grandchildren and every descendant thereafter is the REAL block to an agreement, and it will NEVER happen because if it does, that is the end of Israel being the "Home for the Jews" as intended by Partition. Because Israel is a GENUINE democracy, the Jews will be outnumbered, and the result of that should be obvious - From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.5    5 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add - I believe the only times the Temple Mount has been closed to Muslims was when they rioted, or attacked Jews or guards, or threw stones down on persons praying at the Western Wall. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.2  Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

He's a better person than the antisemitic US Representative. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Amen to both sentences Buzz!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

One thing that stood out to be is that Ireland is anti-Israel....I find that difficult to believe. One only has to look at their history to know how they have suffered...

I was pleased to further read that it seems most Irish know little about being anti-Israel. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

I really can't comprehend the Irish leaders either, Kavika.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Take note of the NT members who won't post comments here - those who will refuse to agree with what Hafeez, once an Islamist Jew-hating Israel-basher, has learned and discovered the truth.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

God bless him for speaking the truth, but it has to be dangerous for him.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

I thought that myself. No surprise to me if a fatwa is issued against him, so he will need a bodyguard like Ayaan Ali Hirsi and Salman Rushdie whose lives are endangered for telling the truth about Islamist terrorism and despicable behaviour like FGM and honour killings.