╌>

The breakthrough battery technology investors are betting millions on

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  18 comments

The breakthrough battery technology investors are betting millions on
For powering your smartphone or your Tesla, the lithium-ion battery is industry standard, and has been for nearly 30 years. Now, as the world races toward an electric future, the next big breakthrough in battery tech could be just around the corner.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Batteries can be a real game changer. What else has to be in place?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

I have posted on this topic a couple times in the past year or longer and it has gone pretty much ignored. Maybe the video is more likely to be taken in.

Dr Goodenough of UT/Austin, who was 1/2 of the brain trust behind Li technology has teamed with Maria Braga to come up with a new technology with is showing much better potential in both power density, discharge rates, charge cycles and is not able to burst into flames. Maybe, more importantly, this technology completely frees us from dependency on rare earths. Got an ocean near by? You've got sodium. It turns out the technology results in a better battery when sodium is used in place of lithium. It also does not need cobalt. Those traits free us from the geopolitical nonsense surrounding both lithium and cobalt these days.

Here is a vid from a couple years ago.

..and one from last year. Goodenough and Braga saved as the best for last.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

It would sure change everything in a hurry. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    5 years ago

Batteries enable us to move freely and not stay tethered to a power source.   So, thinking in those terms, batteries remain a critical enabler for most anything we do nowadays.   Historically, the key stubborn problem with batteries is their size.   Electronic devices continue to reduce the space requirements for functionality but are largely held back by two key factors:  the size of the human user (user interface is limited by finger size) and the size of the battery.

Smaller batteries translate into more power in the same space (think electric vehicles) or smaller devices (think of the medical applications).   Smaller batteries have a profound effect sweeping through most every technology we use.   

Game changers.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @4    5 years ago
Smaller batteries translate into more power in the same space (think electric vehicles) or smaller devices (think of the medical applications).   Smaller batteries have a profound effect sweeping through most every technology we use.    Game changers.

Totally. I am looking forward to seeing how this changes the car industry.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I thought the last thing he said was the most interesting. He thinks their chemistry will be the defining chemistry for batteries for the next generation. I remember when alkaline batteries first came out. It seems that it was something like a generation went by before they were surpassed. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

I think that things have become exponential at this point. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

These sodium batteries will not replace lithium in cell phones and laptops.

Although the testing is far from over, they need to be large and manufactured in an airless environment.

They may be the savior of electric cars and such devises where large size is not an impediment.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    5 years ago

Ii didn't dig in to this years rendition of this topic as i have in the past, as it has largely gone ignored here and elsewhere.

I haven't read this years paper and maybe there is something that counters previous papers, but from what I can tell on a casual skimming is all the bickering is going on about the lithium variant of this glass (credit Braga), solid state battery technology.

From what I have read in the past, the sodium variant blows the lithium variant out of the water in all key metrics.

BTW, something I left out in the list of characteristics where this technology dwarfs Li technology is charge rates. Like the other metrics, that was also listed in a different zip code compared to Li.

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
6  True American Pat    5 years ago

This is interesting to me.....but it's going to take a lot for me to give up my Diesel Dually....

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  True American Pat @6    5 years ago

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif Guys! 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    5 years ago

When 'the battery' is perfected that has a 600 mile range and a 2 hour charge time, transportation as we know it will definitely change.  This, coupled with fast mass transit connecting every major city in the Western Hemisphere will bring a prosperity beyond anything the world has ever seen.  The question remains as to whether America wishes to lead or follow in these endeavors.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bbl-1 @7    5 years ago

I think you have that totally spot on. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  bbl-1 @7    5 years ago

I just want a transporter beam

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2    5 years ago

No.  You can't have one.  Sorry.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  bbl-1 @7.2.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

I was looking for a pouty face

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    5 years ago

Maybe it will help make another prediction made back in the 50's - 60's come true:

Jet Pack song