╌>

Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2018 - Biology / Evolution - Alice Roberts and Aoife McLysaght

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  dignitatem-societatis  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2018 - Biology / Evolution - Alice Roberts and Aoife McLysaght

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

From Wikipedia:

The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are a series of lectures on a single topic each, which have been held at the Royal Institution in London each year since 1825, missing 1939–42 because of the Second World War. The lectures present scientific subjects to a general audience, including young people, in an informative and entertaining manner. Michael Faraday initiated the first Christmas Lecture series in 1825. This came at a time when organised education for young people was scarce. Faraday presented a total of nineteen series in all. more...

From the Royal Institution:

Christmas lecturer Prof Alice Roberts, and Genetics Society guest lecturer Prof Aoife McLysaght present the 2018 CHRISTMAS LECTURES.

You share 99.4% of your genes with your neighbour, 98.7% with a chimp, and even 44% with a fruit fly – yet you are also entirely unique – there is nobody else quite like you. In this year’s CHRISTMAS LECTURES, Professor Alice Roberts, and genetics expert Aoife McLysaght, take us on a journey to answer this most fundamental question: Who Am I?   We humans tend to view ourselves as separate from the natural world, a special creation even, but we’re far more closely related to the rest of the animal kingdom than you might imagine. From how our limbs evolved from fins, to the colour of our eyes, Alice and Aoife investigate our fascinating evolutionary story to reveal how we became who we are today. more...

Lecture 1:

Lecture 2:

Lecture 3:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Dig    5 years ago

Yes, these are long, but interested persons will find them well worth watching.

They're not boring. Alice Roberts and Aoife McLysaght are excellent presenters.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Dig @1    5 years ago

Thanks for that Dig. Is it just me, or is Prof. Roberts kind of hot? jrSmiley_16_smiley_image.gif

Dig
Professor Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Dig  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    5 years ago
Is it just me, or is Prof. Roberts kind of hot?

I find them both very attractive, but I'm essentially powerless against intelligent women with British or Irish Accents. :)

I've actually had a bit of a fan crush on Aoife McLysaght for a while now.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Dig @1.1.1    5 years ago
I find them both very attractive

Yes they are. But Prof. Roberts...must be the red hair. Or that killer smile. Or the obvious intelligence. Or all of the above jrSmiley_16_smiley_image.gif

but I'm essentially powerless against intelligent women with British or Irish Accents.

Intelligence is sexy alright.

I've actually had a bit of a fan crush on Aoife McLysaght for a while now.

Totally understandable. And i can see why too.

but interested persons will find them well worth watching.

Speaking of which, where's TiG? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    5 years ago

On the road, driving son back to his university.   Will check out later today.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dig @1    5 years ago

We are a special creation .... in the image of God.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    5 years ago
We are a special creation .... in the image of God.  

That's nice. Prove it!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

Nothing like using the celebration of the birth of the sole source of human salvation to promote biased origins pseudoscience.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    5 years ago
Nothing like using the celebration of the birth of the sole source of human salvation to promote biased origins pseudoscience.  

Nothing like your meaningless rhetoric to add nothing of value to any discussion.

Dig
Professor Participates
2.2  seeder  Dig  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    5 years ago

The Royal Institution... Fighting ignorance on the day after Christmas since 1825.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Dig @2.2    5 years ago
Fighting ignorance on the day after Christmas since 1825.

A herculean task considering the extreme amount of ignorance (willful and otherwise) out there. Especially when it comes to science. But all the more reason to keep fighting. It's especially good to see kids in the audience, where they can learn scientific information and hopefully to think logically and critically.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.1    5 years ago
A herculean task considering the extreme amount of ignorance (willful and otherwise) out there

ignorance rules

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.2.2    5 years ago
ignorance rules

Unfortunately.

Dig
Professor Participates
2.3  seeder  Dig  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    5 years ago

Oh, hey, I just remembered that your favorite 'pseudoscientist', Richard Dawkins, presented the Christmas Lectures back in 1991.

They were about evolution, too.

Here's the full playlist of all 5 lectures: Growing Up in the Universe | Richard Dawkins

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    5 years ago

Started checking out the videos - seem very well done.

Too bad the people most likely to take these seriously are the ones who do not need them.

What goes through the mind of one who categorically dismisses this kind of introductory information as pseudoscience and refuses to even begin the process of education?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Alright I am hooked,

Alice Roberts is one of my top 3 favorite lecturers.

She is to Biological Evolution as Bettany Hughes is to Classical History and Nick Zentner is to Geology.