Chicago Mayoral Election

By:  john-russell  •  2 months ago  •  46 comments

Chicago Mayoral Election

Well, we here in Chicago now have the city's first  black , female, gay mayor.  Richard J Daley's above ground tomb at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery was seen spinning in circles. 

It is not a surprise that a black woman won, since both of the two finalists who survived the February primary are black women. What was a surprise is that the winner , Lori Lightfoot, got 74% of the vote to Toni Preckwinkle's 26%. Quite a landslide. 

It is a little strange because their announced policies for the city are not very different. They are both liberal Democrats. Preckwinkle was more associated with the "machine" in that she has been president of the Cook County Board for the past several years, an elected position which had her in charge of one of the largest local governing bodies in the country. Cook County has a larger population than 28 states. 

So Preckwinkle became more associated , in the progressive voters minds, as connected with the "old school" pols around City Hall than Lightfoot, who was a federal prosecutor. That probably surprised Preckwinkle quite a bit, since prior to her election to the County Board she was a long time alderwoman from Hyde Park, one of the most liberal neighborhoods in the city and the area where the Obamas worked and lived. 

So here is what I think explains the Lori Lightfoot landslide. The progressive whites who live in the trendy neighborhoods of the north side lakefront , Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, etc, and the tens of thousands of white liberals who live in downtown high rises, went overwhelmingly for Lightfoot,  black female, gay. This group of voters were her base over and above the "black" community. 

Out in the neighborhoods I think there was much more apathy. For many whites in white neighborhoods, this election was ruined from the git go. They are not interested in a black mayor period, let alone a black female gay mayor. A lot of these people just stayed home. But I also think a lot of blacks in the neighborhoods stayed home too. Why not? There was going to be a black mayor no matter which one of the candidates won. There was no urgency like 1983 when Harold Washington was elected the city's first black mayor and the turnout (for and against remember) reached 82%.

For different reasons both some whites and blacks had a motivation not to vote yesterday. Turnout is being called 32%,  one of the lowest ever for a mayoral election. (In Daley's day the turnout would be in the 60's and 70's percent even though everyone knew who was going to win.)

I sometimes go through an all white neighborhood adjacent to the neighborhood I live in. Usually during an election season there are lawn signs for the various candidates on many lawns. This time any signs at all were few and far between. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

JohnRussell
1  author  JohnRussell    2 months ago

For the record, Lightfoot has said that the evidence against Jussie Smolett was "very compelling''. 

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
2  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ    2 months ago

Get ready, more bike lanes. Bike lanes solve all the problems in big cities.

It Is ME
2.1  It Is ME  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @2    2 months ago

She'll be GREAT for Chicago. They deserve her !

Key policies:

1) Pass ordinance ensuring affordable housing will be built in all wards;

2) Create a new Mayor’s Office of Public Safety to drive down crime and reform policing;

3) Approve a graduated real estate transfer tax to create more funding to eliminate homelessness;

4) Tax large law and accounting firms to help shore up City Hall finances;

5) Increase the city’s hotel tax by a percentage point or two to fund the arts;

6) Phase out the city’s red light cameras.

7) Eliminate the Police Department’s gang database;

8) Create civilian oversight of the Police Department;

9) Abolish U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement;

10) Eliminate elected city treasurer and city clerk’s offices;

11) Merge the administration of the city’s four pension funds.

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
2.1.1  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  It Is ME @2.1    2 months ago
5) Increase the city’s hotel tax by a percentage point or two to fund the arts;

More chalk for the Homicide department.

It Is ME
2.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @2.1.1    2 months ago
More chalk for the Homicide department.

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
2.1.3  charger 383  replied to  It Is ME @2.1    2 months ago
Phase out the city’s red light cameras

that is one good thing

Ed-NavDoc
2.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  It Is ME @2.1    2 months ago

Yep, she's definitely a progressive leftist liberal all right. Chicago is more than welcome to her. If they voted her in, they deserve her. Curious to see if and when she puts her own special interests ahead of the welfare of the rest of the city as a whole.

It Is ME
3  It Is ME    2 months ago

"first black , female, gay "

That's a special thing ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Snuffy
3.1  Snuffy  replied to  It Is ME @3    2 months ago

well,  it is a first.  And to some people that is special. But I hope to most people it's no big deal and would hope they get the best person elected to serve.

It Is ME
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    2 months ago
But I hope to most people it's no big deal and would hope they get the best person elected to serve.

The "News" is having a hard time defining who she is, over and above her "Specialness" !

Snuffy
3.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    2 months ago

yep, but isn't this true of most politicians who have not had a long career in politics?  According to the seed Lightwood, the winner,  has been a federal prosecutor where as Preckwinkle has been president of the Cook County Board for the past several years.  Preckwinkle definitely has more time in politics so would be easier to define I would think.

I guess time will tell if she is able to do any good and I wish her well. But as what has been well documented,  the amount of corruption in Chicago politics will definitely make her job much harder.

It Is ME
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.2    2 months ago
yep, but isn't this true of most politicians who have not had a long career in politics? 

A "Few" anyway !

Funny....Democrats seem to be happy with someone with less "politics' in their repertoire' than the loser, But they can't stand a "President" with no "Political" repertoire'.

It's all about the "Specialness" with Democrats..... I suppose !

I think they call that "Identity politics" !

"the amount of corruption in Chicago politics will definitely make her job much harder."

Not if you look at what we are told are her "Key Issues" (comment #2.1) !

Same Ol', Same Ol'....it would seem !

Ed-NavDoc
3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  It Is ME @3    2 months ago

Except for being female, it worked for Smollett.jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
3.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2    2 months ago
Except for being female, it worked for Smollett.

Seems so ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

squiggy
3.3  squiggy  replied to  It Is ME @3    2 months ago

“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race,”

Roberts' advice is chronically ignored by a press obsessed with identifying firsts, as if there will be an end. Well, until some malperp is a minority - then they get stupid.

Sean Treacy
3.3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  squiggy @3.3    2 months ago
“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race

Such common sense.

As long as the government continues to discriminate on the  basis of race, racial issues in this country will continue to be exacerbated.

Sunshine
4  Sunshine    2 months ago
Well, we here in Chicago now have the city's first black , female, gay mayor.

Hope she does well because of her talents.  

squiggy
4.1  squiggy  replied to  Sunshine @4    2 months ago

They did gloss over her accounting acumen.

livefreeordie
5  livefreeordie    2 months ago

Government in America's major cities are emblematic of the moral decay of America.  They are night and day different from rural America

r.t..b...
5.1  r.t..b...  replied to  livefreeordie @5    2 months ago
They are night and day different from rural America

You could argue the seeds of moral decay are sown, grown and harvested in rural America. Unless of course you are equating the reality of life in the 21st century to those halcyon days when the Federalist Papers were penned or Jackson was president. Times have changed, sir. The hate emanates from those desperately clinging to the vestiges of the antebellum ethos.

livefreeordie
5.1.1  livefreeordie  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1    2 months ago

I said nothing about hate or even prejudice. I addressed simply that we have had a serious and consistent moral decay in this country that is found mainly in cities.   

Split Personality
5.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1    2 months ago

One can argue that this symptomatic of the history of mankind, in spite of whichever deity is, or was, involved.

It has been this way since the first cuneiform and hieroglyphs were cast.

Sunshine
5.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1    2 months ago
You could argue the seeds of moral decay are sown, grown and harvested in rural America.

Are you stating that gays, blacks, and women are morally superior?

r.t..b...
5.1.4  r.t..b...  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1.1    2 months ago
that is found mainly in cities.

Having grown up in a small town in Southwestern CO, attending college in a major urban area, travelling around the country and world, and having lived in both rural towns and large cities, I would argue the intolerance, suspicion of all things unfamiliar, and downright fear of any change you feel in a rural setting does more to foment hatred than in any urban setting. And it is hatred that is the precursor to moral decay...but that is just my experience. 

r.t..b...
5.1.5  r.t..b...  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.3    2 months ago
Are you stating that gays, blacks, and women are morally superior?

That's quite an extrapolation, Sunshine. Are you implying they are inferior, regardless of the context of the conversation?

r.t..b...
5.1.6  r.t..b...  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1.1    2 months ago
hate or even prejudice.

Are they excluded from the narrower confines of 'moral decay'?

Sunshine
5.1.7  Sunshine  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1.5    2 months ago
That's quite an extrapolation, Sunshine.

Not really, it is a simple question. 

Are you implying they are inferior,

I didn't make any remark regarding morality.  

r.t..b...
5.1.8  r.t..b...  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.7    2 months ago
I didn't make any remark regarding morality.

Your original question:  "Are you stating that gays, blacks, and women are morally superior?"

Perhaps it's getting late in the day, but rather than try to decipher that, I'll pass and wish you happy hunting.

WallyW
5.1.9  WallyW  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1    2 months ago
You could argue the seeds of moral decay are sown, grown and harvested in rural America.

You could? Please try to explain that bit of profound logic.

Sunshine
5.1.10  Sunshine  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1.8    2 months ago
Perhaps it's getting late in the day, but rather than try to decipher that, I'll pass and wish you happy hunting.

A simple yes or no is not that difficult.

WallyW
5.1.11  WallyW  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1.4    2 months ago

I would argue the intolerance, suspicion of all things unfamiliar, and downright fear of any change you feel in a rural setting does more to foment hatred than in any urban setting.

I would argue that your alleged experience doesn't agree with that of most people I know nor my own experience.

So all them rural hicks come to the big city and the first thing they do is turn corrupt? It seems from the evidence, that the Democrats control most large cities and are living examples of corruption and incompetence. Are country yokels responsible for all the black on black murders, most likely caused by hate?

livefreeordie
5.1.12  livefreeordie  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1.6    2 months ago

They are separate.  Moral decay speaks to a decline in the values that society has long established.  in Western Culture those values stem from Judeo-Christian values.

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -John Adams, Address to the Military, October 11, 1798

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of man and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connexions with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. It is substantially true, that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government. The rule, indeed, extends with more or less force to every species of free government. Who, that is a sincere friend to it, can look with indifference upon attempts to shake the foundation of the fabric?" -

George Washington's Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

President Harry Truman was not only proudly proclaiming his faith, but speaking prophetically in this 1950 speech.

"The fundamental basis of this nation's laws was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings we get from Exodus and Saint Matthew, from Isaiah and Saint Paul. I don't think we emphasize that enough these days. If we don't have a proper fundamental moral background, we will finally end up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the State!"--President Harry Truman February 15, 1950 Speech at the Department of Justice

Trout Giggles
5.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  WallyW @5.1.9    2 months ago

I grew up in a rural area and pretty much still live in one. I saw a lot of racism and homophobia growing up. That creates moral decay, IMO

r.t..b...
5.1.14  r.t..b...  replied to  WallyW @5.1.11    2 months ago
Are country yokels responsible for all the black on black murders, most likely caused by hate?

A tragic societal affliction incubated through centuries of systemic racism, tilting the judicial, educational, and economic opportunities to maintain the status quo, with little regard or downright disdain to those not born with the right last name or skin color. An ethic born with the Puritans, raised in an atmosphere breeding fear and ignorance, propagated in America's heartland. There are good people and bad people wherever people congregate; but the lack of empathy, fear of the unknown and reluctance to accept the inevitable changes that are coming are most prevalent in the hinterlands.

Sunshine
5.1.15  Sunshine  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1.8    2 months ago
Your original question:  "Are you stating that gays, blacks, and women are morally superior?"

That is a question as you stated not a remark.  

I was born and raised in a urban area, lived in a rural area for 21 years, and then moved back to an urban area because I was tired of the long drive to work mostly.  I was surprised how much the urban area had changed for the worst over the years.  Funny, in my rural area we had little crime, never had any issues with teenage pregnancies, very little bullying in schools, and it never had anything to with LGBT students.  More to do with teenage girls picking on each other.  Most homes owned a gun and somehow managed not to kill each other.   High school drop outs where rare.  Everyone was accepted to the community, never any hate crimes committed.  Very little drug activity.   No graffiti and people defecating on the sidewalks.  Yep, the moral decay in urban areas is much worse than most rural areas.

squiggy
5.1.16  squiggy  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1    2 months ago

I could but it would be an idiotic waste of time and twist of logic.

Trout Giggles
5.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  squiggy @5.1.16    2 months ago

Why do you all assume that there's worse morality in the urban areas than the rural areas? Do you not consider racism, homophobia, and white supremacy to be immoral?

livefreeordie
5.1.18  livefreeordie  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.17    2 months ago

racism and white supremacy (same thing actually) are immoral and anyone who is actually a Christian would and should condemn them because they are against the teachings of Jesus.

the so-called "homophobia" label is a leftist attempt to smear Christians for following the teachings of Jesus and thus disagreeing with homosexual behavior cannot be considered immoral.

Sunshine
5.1.19  Sunshine  replied to  livefreeordie @5.1.18    2 months ago
racism and white supremacy

There are only about 25,000 white supremacist in the US.  Hardly an amount large enough to say they are prevalent to any rural or urban area with a population of over 300 million.  Some are just easily influenced by the propaganda.  There are far bigger problems related to moral decay in urban areas than white supremacy.   People just throw out "white supremacy" because of lack of an intelligent response.  

White supremacy should not be tolerated, but it is not a major factor. 

Trout Giggles
5.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.19    2 months ago

It isn't?

r.t..b...
5.1.21  r.t..b...  replied to  squiggy @5.1.16    2 months ago
I could but it would be an idiotic waste of time and twist of logic.

Logic has nothing to do with it, squiggy. It is merely a sociological observation based upon one experience. If you and all the others that have felt compelled to comment have a different experience, so be it. Idiotic or not, it is nothing more than a conversation about deep-seated issues that impact every aspect of our society, regardless of Zip Code. A difficult conversation to be sure, but one that has been ignored for too long and if it continues to be ignored, nothing will change as to how we accept things outside our comfortable, insulated bubbles.

r.t..b...
5.1.22  r.t..b...  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.15    2 months ago
Very little drug activity.  

You kid yourself...that affliction knows no boundary.

Sunshine
5.1.23  Sunshine  replied to  r.t..b... @5.1.22    2 months ago
You kid yourself...that affliction knows no boundary.

Never said there wasn't any.  Sorry, lived in the community for over 20 years.  Never saw the problems associated with drug activity as seen in the urban areas on a large scale.  If you think Detroit's drug problems per capita are the same as any rural area in Michigan, well you need to get out more.

BeastOfTheEast
6  BeastOfTheEast    2 months ago

Why did blacks stay home instead of voting for Lightfood or her opponent? Two reasons (1) There wasn't a white candidate to vote against. (2) Most black won't vote for a gay person. 

Vic Eldred
7  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

"Out in the neighborhoods I think there was much more apathy. For many whites in white neighborhoods, this election was ruined from the git go. They are not interested in a black mayor period, let alone a black female gay mayor. A lot of these people just stayed home. But I also think a lot of blacks in the neighborhoods stayed home too. Why not? There was going to be a black mayor no matter which one of the candidates won. "

That's an awful lot of generalization & speculation on your part.  Interesting article, though. Anyone interested in the mentality of "identity politics" should read it. 

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
8  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ    2 months ago

Chicago is getting ready to add hundreds of soft ball fields and bike lanes everywhere.