╌>

If You Had To Play In A Golf Death Match, Who Would You Want As Your Partner, Jack Nicklaus or Donald Trump?

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

If You Had To Play In A Golf Death Match, Who Would You Want As Your Partner, Jack Nicklaus or Donald Trump?
I’m glad my dad didn’t live to see a Commander in Cheat like Trump. It would’ve turned his stomach.”"

I've been reading an article from The New Yorker about Trump and golf. The NY'er article is based on a book by the sportswriter Rick Reilly. I am going to post the article somewhere below my thoughts on the matter.

There was a time when for a few years in a row I would golf with anywhere from 3 to 7 of my friends most Sunday mornings during the summer. We would meet at a local course and play 18 holes , bullshit with each other a lot, drink a lot of beer , occasionally hit some good shots, and generally have a lot of fun. I was the type of golfer who would hit shots off into the trees that lined the fairways , spend 5 minutes looking for the ball, then try and hit between or under the trees so as not to take a penalty shot. One time I hit a shot from the fairway that veered off to the right and hit a big ole tree about 100 yards down the hole. "I'm going to hit again" I told my friends and dropped another ball at the spot I from which had just hit the bad one. Guess what happened?  I hit the same tree again, 100 yards down the hole and off to the right. It was probably 1000 to one that I would hit the same tree two shots in a row. My buddies and all I laughed our asses off, drank some beer which we had conveniently sitting on our golf carts, and went on our way down the course.

I mention this because as "for fun 'amateurs'"  just taking a walk in the great outdoors we didnt think about cheating. The guys who played for money, which we all did at times, would watch one another fairly closely, but in the end it was scouts honor. But mostly, if someone picked up a ball from behind a branch and threw it onto the fairway no one cared. We were having a good time.

The New Yorker article says the president cheats at golf. Regularly.  That might be ok if he was just out there having fun like a lot of weekend hackers do. But Trump uses golf as a measurement of his "achievement". He uses his scores to establish a handicap, which if it is to be believed, makes him a better golfer than Jack Nicklaus, sometimes referred to as the greatest golfer of all time. Nicklaus is a little older than Trump, but they are roughly in the same age range, and we are supposed to believe that if they played one another Trump would spot Nicklaus three shots.

Trump claims to have won 18 Country club championships. You would have to be an outstanding golfer to win even one.

Here is how the author Rick Reilly sums it up

"“If you’ll cheat to win at golf, is it that much further to cheat to win an election? To turn a Congressional vote? To stop an investigation? If you’ll lie about every aspect of the game, is that much further to lie about your taxes, your relationship with Russians, your groping of women? . . . I’m glad my dad didn’t live to see a Commander in Cheat like Trump. It would’ve turned his stomach.”"

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago
newyorker.com

The Serial Golf Cheat in the White House

By John Cassidy1:51 P.M.

P. G. Wodehouse wrote that the best way to discover a man’s character is to play golf with him. In his short story “Ordeal by Golf,” the narrator declares, “In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.” Donald Trump is an avid golfer, of course, as well as the avid proprietor of seventeen golf courses on both sides of the Atlantic. Indeed, all evidence suggests that he is far more interested in golf than he is in immersing himself in the duties of the Presidency. According to the Web site TrumpGolfCount.com , which meticulously tracks Trump’s play, he has made a hundred and sixty-five visits to golf clubs since becoming President, and he has played golf at least seventy-seven times. In March alone, he played six rounds at the Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach. Even when he is confined to Washington, he caters to his golf habit. The Washington Post reported that Trump had installed a state-of-the-art golf simulator in the White House’s living quarters, which allows him to pretend he is playing famous courses around the world.

By the standards of most weekend golfers, Trump is a decent player , as his playing partners attest, with a roundhouse swing that propels the ball a long way. But he doesn’t claim to be decent player; he claims to be an élite amateur who has won a remarkable eighteen club championships. (At any golf club, the club championship is the biggest tournament of the year.) Over the years, however, tales of Trump’s chronic cheating on the links have circulated widely. In the new book “ Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Donald Trump ,” the sportswriter Rick Reilly has pulled these stories together and found some new ones. Relying on testimony from playing partners, caddies, and former Trump employees, Reilly pokes more holes in Trump’s claims than there are sand traps on all of his courses combined. It is by turns amusing and alarming. “Trump doesn’t just cheat at golf,” Reilly notes. “He cheats like a three-card Monte dealer. He throws it, boots it, and moves it. He lies about his lies. He fudges and foozles and fluffs.”

Reilly recounts a time when Trump was declared the senior club champion at Trump National Bedminster, in New Jersey, even though he was in Pennsylvania on the day that the event was played. “He’d declared that the club should start having senior club championships for those 50 and up, but he forgot that one of the best players at the club had just turned 50,” Reilly writes. “Having zero chance of beating the guy, he went up to his Trump Philadelphia course on the day of the tournament and played with a friend there. Afterward, according to a source inside the Bedminster club, he called the Bedminster pro shop and announced he’d shot 73 and should be declared the winner. The pro, wanting to stay employed, agreed. His name went up on the plaque.”

This turned out to be a double con. When someone from the Bedminster club called up Trump’s caddy at the course in Philadelphia and asked what he’d shot there, the caddy replied, “Maybe 82. And that might be generous.”

Evidently, Trump pulls this kind of stuff on a regular basis. Last month, another well-known sportswriter, Michael Bamberger, reported that Trump won the 2018 club championship at his West Palm Beach club without playing in that tournament, either. And Trump admitted to Reilly that at least some of those eighteen club championships weren’t championships at all. “Whenever I open a new golf course, I play the official opening round and then I just call that the first club championship,” Reilly recounts Trump as saying. “There you go! I’m the first club champion!"

Trump’s other big golf brag is that he sports a handicap of 2.8. Handicaps are designed to rank players and to make it easier for weak players to compete against strong ones. A handicap of 2.8 indicates that a player is capable of playing a round in about three over par, which is extremely difficult to do. According to the United States Golf Association, Trump’s mark would put him in the top five per cent of players who keep a handicap. But these figures apply to players of all ages, and Trump is now seventy-two years old.

Among golfing septuagenarians, a handicap of 2.8 is very rare. Jack Nicklaus, who is either the best or second best golfer ever, depending on how you rank Tiger Woods, has a handicap of 5.2. If Nicklaus played Trump in a proper match, Trump would have to give him two shots. The Golden Bear is seven years older than Trump, but, as Reilly asks, “If you needed a partner for a death match . . . would you take Trump or Jack Nicklaus?”

Actually, it might be smart to pick Trump, especially if there wasn’t a team of referees to monitor his every move. Some of his tactics are blatant: not counting foul shots, dropping balls closer to the hole, and improving his lies. At Winged Foot, a storied New York course where Trump is a member, Reilly tells us, “the caddies got so used to seeing him kick his ball back onto the fairway they came up with a nickname for him: ‘Pele.’ ” (For those who don’t know soccer, the Brazilian Pelé was one of the best kickers of a ball in history.)

And Trump doesn’t only give himself unfair advantages: he’s also been known to hobble his opponents. On another occasion recounted by Reilly, Trump was playing with Mike Tirico, the sportscaster, who hit a long, soaring second shot into a par five, high-fived his caddy, and headed for the green. When he got there, there was no sign of his ball; it had somehow ended up in a sand trap some fifty feet left of the pin. “Lousy break,” Trump said. Tirico was so befuddled that he took a seven. Afterward, Trump’s caddy told Tirico that his approach shot had actually finished up about ten feet from the hole. “Trump threw it into the bunker,” the caddy said. “I watched him do it.”

Of course, Trump isn’t the first golfer to give himself a mulligan, which is golfspeak for a do-over. He also isn’t the first President to do this. Bill Clinton, an enthusiastic hacker, took so many mulligans that they became known as “Billigans,” Reilly says. But Reilly also points out that “Clinton’s methods were less diabolical and more goofy” than Trump’s are. With this President, the finagling on the course is more serious, “a path to something more important: I win again.”

In tracing the roots of Trump’s cheating, Reilly points out that Trump learned some of his tricks from the hustlers at Cobb’s Creek, a gritty public course in West Philadelphia, which he played when he was studying at the University of Pennsylvania. In searching for deeper motivations, Reilly consults with Lance Dodes, a Harvard psychiatrist, who says, of Trump, “He can’t stand not winning, not being the best. It had to have started very early in his development. . . . He exaggerates his golf scores and his handicap for the same reason he exaggerates everything. He has to. He exhibits all the traits of a narcissistic personality disorder. . . . He’s a very ill man.”

Reilly doesn’t say if he agrees with this diagnosis. But at the end of his book, he raises the question of whether Trump’s cheating matters and answers it in the affirmative. “If you’ll cheat to win at golf, is it that much further to cheat to win an election? To turn a Congressional vote? To stop an investigation? If you’ll lie about every aspect of the game, is that much further to lie about your taxes, your relationship with Russians, your groping of women? . . . I’m glad my dad didn’t live to see a Commander in Cheat like Trump. It would’ve turned his stomach.”

For a sportswriter, that’s quite a bit of editorializing, and yet one senses that Wodehouse would have approved. In “Ordeal by Golf” his alter ego remarks, “I employed a lawyer for years until one day I saw him kick a ball out of his heel-mark. I removed my business from his charge next morning.” The rest of us don’t have that option. For now, at least, we are stuck with Pelé in the White House.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    5 years ago

Not only would I want to play with Jack Nicklaus, I would much prefer Jack be our PotUS.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @2    5 years ago
I would much prefer Jack be our PotUS.

And Lee Trevino as VP.

Chi Chi as Secretary of State. 

Now if that isn't a trifecta I've never seen one.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @2.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @2.1    5 years ago

Actually, I would probably prefer to golf with Lee Trevino in any death match, but especially against a known fudger like Trump.

Trevino did his 4 years in the USMC, married 3 times, fathered 2 girls and 4 boys, survived 3 lightning strikes and accumulated what most would consider to be a great deal of wealth

doing it "his way".

Nikolaus, while a very nice guy started out wanting to be a pharmacist, switched to insurance his senior year in college and then after a few months "working" to support hi golfing,

switched to golfing to support his hobbies, his net worth is 320 mill.

I'll take Lee for a golf partner.

I 'd have to study Jack a while before I'd vote for him.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    5 years ago
I 'd have to study Jack a while before I'd vote for him.

Your choice is Jack or the Donald.   

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.1    5 years ago

I was going to suggest Arnold Palmer as VP but I forgot he died

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2  Split Personality  replied to  TᵢG @2    5 years ago

Met him at the Masters the year Tiger was an amateur, and several times after, almost annually for quite a stretch.

A very nice, mature, well balanced individual.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    5 years ago

I'd rather drink and go fishing with lee trevino, lol

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

Well obviously if you look at the record, you'd pick Donald Trump to be your partner. Only Donald Trump has won a golf championship in which he didn't even play...

"Ted Virtue, the 58-year-old CEO of a New York investment firm called MidOcean Partners, had the 2018 club championship title all to himself. Virtue, a member of Winged Foot and Westchester Country Club in New York and Lost Tree and Trump International in South Florida, won a series of matches en route to his title. He played football and basketball at Middlebury College in Vermont in the early 1980s and his golf is more athletic than poetic. His index is listed as 3.3 and his 20 most recent scores, all from 2018 and this year, range from 73 to 83. Trump has posted only two scores since 2016. After Virtue won the championship, Trump ran into him at the club, according to multiple sources who recounted the story" "Trump said something like, “The only reason you won is because I couldn’t play.” "Trump then proposed a nine-hole challenge match to Virtue, winner-takes-the-title." " You could say there wasn’t much in it for Virtue, and you could argue that this is not how these matters are typically, if ever, settled. But consider these factors: 1. Trump owns the course; 2. Trump is the president of the United States; 3. Trump is not your typical golfer. Virtue said yes. They played match play (each hole as its own contest) and straight up (no shots were given). As in nearly all amateur golf rounds, no rules official was on hand. Golf’s tradition calls for players to police themselves and, if necessary, one another."

Trump claims he won. Now he has a golden plaque under his other surreptitious gold championships claiming he won the 2018 club championship without playing in a single actual series.

The hubris of Donald can only be matched by the syphilitic minds of ancient Roman Emperors or perhaps the warped brains of Kim Jong Un or Vladimir Putin. Putin did almost the same thing Trump does but with Hockey...

" The 65-year-old, who was reelected to a fourth term as president in March, took part in an annual hockey game with former pros on Thursday and scored only five goals. That’s down from the seven he scored last year and the eight he notched in 2015."

They really are a couple of shit peas in a shit pod aren't they.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

"If You Had To Play In A Golf Death Match, Who Would You Want As Your Partner"

Neither Listed.

I'll go with Rickie Fowler !

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1  1stwarrior  replied to  It Is ME @5    5 years ago

Rickie Fowler and Justin Thomas.

Trevino could be the course weather man as long as he carries his 2 iron with him.

Chi Chi would settle all discussions with the swish of his putter as he draws it from his scabbard.

Arnie could bring his Army to help him "find" his ball in the middle of the fairway.

Jack would carry the 9 foot board he rode as a Junior.

And Trump?  Still in the bushes looking for someone else's ball 'cause you know he always hits the fairway.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1    5 years ago

Loved Chi Chi back in the day, especially his "Sword sheathing" antic on the putting green.

Liked "The Veej" (Vijay Singh) back then too !

The Old guys were great. They played the "Game" like it was intended, and looked like they enjoyed it as a "Game" !

"And Trump? "

He's still Trump. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

If he's pissing off the "Dinosaurs" in Congress...… It makes me "SMILE" ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Dumbshits these days act and "SPOUT" like Trump Created the last 50 bazillion decades of Problems we have now they "Bazitch about !

He's unorthodox, but "Someone" has to change the PROBLEMS the "Dinosaur Bitches" CREATED  over those 50 bazillion decades !