╌>

A Texas bill would make it possible to put women to death for having abortions

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gordy327  •  5 years ago  •  59 comments

A Texas bill would make it possible to put women to death for having abortions

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Men and women, young and old, native Texans and immigrants, they rose to ask lawmakers to protect life, describing a “genocide” and foreseeing the arrival of “God’s wrath.” The act of public atonement they are seeking is passage of a bill that would criminalize abortion without exception, and make it possible to convict women who undergo the procedure of homicide, which can carry the death penalty in Texas. Though it faces steep odds of becoming law, the measure earned a hearing this week amid a larger legislative push in GOP-controlled states to curtail abortion rights, in a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade.

The legislation is the brainchild of state Rep. Tony Tinderholt, a Republican from Arlington, Tex., who was placed under state protection because of death threats he received when he first introduced the bill in 2017. The Air Force veteran, who has been married five times, argues that the measure is necessary to make women “more personally responsible.” He said Tuesday that his intention is to guarantee “equal protection” for life inside and "outside the womb.” Some of his supporters see the issue in even more fateful terms. “God’s word says, ‘He who sheds man’s blood, by man — the civil government — his blood will be shed,’” said Sonya Gonnella, quoting the Book of Genesis and asking lawmakers to “repent with us.”

Announcing herself as a “follower of the lord Jesus Christ,” Gonnella was among hundreds of people who testified in a marathon hearing that stretched from Monday into early Tuesday before the Texas House’s Committee on Judiciary and Civil Jurisprudence.
It was the first time in the state’s history, committee members said, that public testimony had been heard on a measure holding women criminally liable for their abortions. The legislation was left pending on Tuesday, as Democrats claimed a contradiction in the agenda advanced by its supporters, who call themselves “pro-life.”  “I’m trying to reconcile in my head the arguments that I heard tonight about how essentially one is okay with subjecting a woman to the death penalty for the exact — to do to her the exact same thing that one is alleging she is doing to a child,” said state Rep. Victoria Neave, a Democrat who represents part of Dallas County.  A number of hurdles stand in the way of the legislation, including the reluctance of the committee’s chairman, Republican Jeff Leach, to bring it to the full House. Even some antiabortion groups, such as Texans for Life, oppose the severe changes to the state’s criminal laws.

Yet, the fact that the measure, which did not get a hearing in 2017, is now being entertained in Austin is a testament to new zeal behind the campaign to roll back abortion rights. Enthusiasm for the antiabortion cause was evident as well in the surprise box office success of the film “Unplanned,” which paints a dark picture of Planned Parenthood and other groups that defend abortion rights. The White House is screening a film with a similar message on Friday, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
In Texas, which has already advanced legislation punishing doctors who fail to try to save the lives of infants born after attempted abortions, the battle lines have been clearly drawn. Republican lawmakers describe the initiatives to prevent abortions in later trimesters as the “anti-New York” bills, a response to a measure signed into law in January by Democratic Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo that critics falsely claim strips medical care from infants born alive during procedures, which happens extremely rarely.
The emotional showdown in Texas came amid a broader effort, in states where Republicans enjoy legislative control, to impose sweeping new restrictions on abortion rights. From Georgia to Ohio, from Florida to West Virginia, about a dozen states have moved on legislation banning abortion once a doctor can detect a fetal heartbeat. Some states are intent on taking additional steps. Last week, legislation was introduced in Alabama that would criminalize performing an abortion at any stage, with the only exception being a threat to the mother’s life. The effort is aimed squarely at Roe v. Wade.

That the Texas bill, which goes even further, is a clear violation of the 1973 landmark decision appears to be precisely the point for those who asked lawmakers to advance it out of committee. The measure directs authorities to enforce its requirements “regardless of any contrary federal law, executive order, or court decision.” In testimony, proponents hailed President Trump as a champion of the “unborn” and beseeched state lawmakers to do their part in giving him a “chance” to help advance their agenda before a Supreme Court whose makeup he has shifted to the right.  “Roe v. Wade is unconstitutional,” said Jim Baxa, president of West Texans for Life. “And the 10th Amendment puts it to you all to stand up to that tyranny and do what’s right.”  Baxa said the bill was his organization’s “number one priority” because it was the first to treat abortion fully as a capital felony, giving those who claim to “believe abortion is murder” a chance to “prove that.”

“A woman who has committed murder should be charged with murder,” he affirmed.
Stephen Bratton, a pastor from Houston, sounded a similar note. “Whoever authorizes or commits murder is guilty,” the religious leader said.  In all, 446 witnesses registered their approval for the bill. Mainly representing faith groups and local arms of the GOP, they told lawmakers they would have to account for their actions before their “creator” as well as before their voters. The “pro-life” label wouldn’t protect them, said a GOP precinct chair, Cassandra Weaver, in a prophecy for the committee’s Republicans, some of whom have been reluctant to endorse the legislation. Voters, she said, “think that you’ve come into this office because you are trying to end abortion.”  Faith wasn’t the only justification offered for the bill. “We are literally missing billions of dollars in taxpayer money,” one woman said, suggesting that preventing abortion would increase the state’s population, meaning more people contributing to public coffers.

Speaking in opposition were 54 people, among them business leaders, women’s rights activists and legal experts.
“Murdering your citizens for a medical procedure is pretty extreme to me,” said Caroline Caselli, a technology CEO recently transplanted from California, who said she feared for her female employees.  Drucilla Tigner, a strategist for the ACLU of Texas, observed bluntly that the legislation was unconstitutional and would be invalidated, while Jasmine Wang, a legislative and legal intern with the abortion rights organization NARAL, said the hearing was a “waste of time.” She accused the Republican majority of showing “blatant disregard for the proper practice of medicine.”  That claim appeared to irk the committee’s chairman. Leach, who represents a swath of Collin County in North Texas, said he was committed to giving each bill introduced by a member a hearing before the committee. And he challenged Wang to say at what interval she was no longer comfortable with a woman terminating her pregnancy.

Wang refused to say, objecting, “Representative Leach, respectfully,” to which he rejoined, “Chairman Leach,” instructing the intern to acknowledge his title. The hearing was celebrated by committee members as an illustration of the democratic process.
“The Texas legislature still works,” Leach said, commending his colleagues and the residents who had filled the committee room, as well as an overflow area, to provide testimony. Tinderholt agreed, saying he was “honored” that his proposal had generated so much interest. “I think we set an example for Washington, D.C.,” he concluded.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Gordy327    5 years ago

Only in Texas. Or Alabama. or Arkansas. But this bill is just a whole new level of unconstitutional stupid! This is what happens when you get religious zealots in the government and it demonstrates precisely why we have (and need) a strict separation of church and state!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago

Well, this is insanity. You realize this will never pass. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago
Well, this is insanity.

That's an understatement. But considering it's from Texas, I'm not surprised either. Some states have become emboldened to criminalize abortion. In this case, it's to an extreme. It also strikes me as hypocritical too. But this also shows the mindset of some people and it's freaking scary.

You realize this will never pass

I should hope not. Assuming it even does, it will not survive legal challenges.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.1    5 years ago
Some states have become emboldened to criminalize abortion.

A few years back, a state rep in Georgia sponsored a bill making women who'd had miscarriages subject to the death penalty, if they couldn't prove that they hadn't caused the miscarriage.  He succeeded in convincing me to be pro-choice.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.2    5 years ago
a state rep in Georgia sponsored a bill making women who'd had miscarriages subject to the death penalty,

I remember hearing about one state that wanted to criminalize miscarriage. I couldn't remember which state. Thanks for pointing out it was Georgia.

He succeeded in convincing me to be pro-choice.

What's scary is all those who would support such a measure.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.5  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
A rabid, single-issue voting bloc that will dance with the devil if that is what it takes to do god's will. Zealotry defined.

Idiocy defined too.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    5 years ago

IIRC, Utah may have had a similar bill introduced around the same time.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.8  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
That's how many would describe it,

I was being kind.

It is intentional, inflammatory, and ultimately irreconcilable with everything this country represents.

And there are people in government who advocate such things. It's mind boggling.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.10  seeder  Gordy327  replied to    5 years ago
I think you're still being kind. 

Thank you. I try.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.11  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.6    5 years ago
IIRC, Utah may have had a similar bill introduced around the same time.

This is boilerplate legislation that has been written by a national group (ALEC) and given to the 50 state legislatures to pass. Ohio is trying to pass a heartbeat bill again, even though the courts have consistently struck them down.   The GOP is doing this to keep their religious conservative voters excited and ensure they will vote for Trump. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago

To say this is extreme and goes way too far is a vast understarement. Tinderholt is obviously a nut case extremist who has absolutely no business as a elected official!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago
this bill is just a whole new level of unconstitutional stupid!

Another blatant attempt to breach the separation of church and State by trying to legislate something a specific religion has defined as a "sin" even though our Supreme Court has ruled it legal. It's no different than the blasphemy laws in Muslim theocracies in the Middle east where you can be put to death for simply disrespecting the local religious views.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago
Only in Texas. Or Alabama. or Arkansas. But this bill is just a whole new level of unconstitutional stupid! This is what happens when you get religious zealots in the government and it demonstrates precisely why we have (and need) a strict separation of church and state!

Everything is dumber in Texas where they are so pro-life they will execute you for having an abortion.  Did anyone explain to these religious nitwits that even before the Roe' decision abortion was not charged as murder? 

Why does it seem that somehow Screwy Louie Gohmert had something to do with this.........? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @1.3    5 years ago
Everything is dumber in Texas

Understatement.

they are so pro-life they will execute you for having an abortion.

Oh irony. It's also no surprise that their justification revolves around pleasing their god too.

Did anyone explain to these religious nitwits that even before the Roe' decision abortion was not charged as murder?

I don't think they care. In their minds, abortion is murder and they simply ignore any law or legal precedent to the contrary. Basically, their own opinions or beliefs is paramount to actual facts!

epistte
Junior Guide
1.3.2  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1.3.1    5 years ago
I don't think they care. In their minds, abortion is murder and they simply ignore any law or legal precedent to the contrary. Basically, their own opinions or beliefs is paramount to actual facts!

It is time that we need to put a mandatory education qualification, mental health screening, or a minimum IQ of people for federal and statewide offices because the idea that anyone can become President is an imminent danger to all of us. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

And the war on women marches on.  I know this will not go anywhere.

Gotta love all faux prolife christians

It's all about controlling women plain and simple.

Why do these fucktards keep wasting time and money on shit that will never ever ever pass.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  lady in black @2    5 years ago
Gotta love all faux prolife christians

Yep. They're pro-life but want women to be executed for having an abortion. Go figure.

It's all about controlling women plain and simple.

That about sums it up. Talk about misogyny.

Why do these fucktards keep wasting time and money on shit that will never ever ever pass.

I would guess it's to keep pro-lifers distracted from other issues and/or to keep their votes.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

I truly am considering putting my name in for Elon Musk's "Mars Adventure" !

"Politics" is getting so far over the top, you might be able to "Walk to Mars" on the piles of crap soon.

Between this and Northam and Cuomo.....This "Party time" is now "Absurd" !

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
"Politics" is getting so far over the top, you might be able to "Walk to Mars" on the piles of crap soon.

More like reach Jupiter.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    5 years ago
More like reach Jupiter.

Thought you were going to go with Uranus...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    5 years ago
More like reach Jupiter.

I was hoping it wouldn't go that far. jrSmiley_11_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    5 years ago
I was hoping it wouldn't go that far.

Considering how things are going now, I wouldn't be surprised if it did go that far. Or as far as Pluto jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.1    5 years ago
Thought you were going to go with Uranus...

I'm an optimist. But sometimes, even my optimism gets strained, Lol

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.3    5 years ago

Term Limits !

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

Married five times and he wants women to have more personal responsibility....WTF

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

That got you, too, eh?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    5 years ago
That got you, too, eh?

I did a double take when I read that....Unreal.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    5 years ago

Hypocrisy at its finest, eh? Reminds me of Kim Davis.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2  epistte  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago
Married five times and he wants women to have more personal responsibility....WTF

Even the Onion doesn't know how to satirize this........

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    5 years ago
"...the 10th Amendment puts it to you all to stand up to that tyranny and do what’s right.” 

Oh yeah, let's use this "stand up to tyranny" bullshit logic to deprive women of their right to privacy. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Gordy327    5 years ago

I wonder if there is anyone who actually supports this bill and can come up with some logical or rational defense for it?

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @6    5 years ago
I wonder if there is anyone who actually supports this bill and can come up with some logical or rational defense for it?

Anyone who supports this doesn't understand logic because this is indefensible on every level. This is driven purely by emotional religious belief and partisan pandering.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @6.1    5 years ago
Anyone who supports this doesn't understand logic because this is indefensible on every level. This is driven purely by emotional religious belief and partisan pandering.

Exactly! I defy anyone to try and defend this bill.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  lady in black  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.1    5 years ago

I posted this story on my FB feed, asking that same question.  If one can defend this then one is fake ass pro life.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.3  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  lady in black @6.1.2    5 years ago
If one can defend this then one is fake ass pro life.

And they're also a just plain despicable person.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

I read a book of fiction once about a future where abortions in Texas had been criminalized and women were sent to jail for one.

I'm beginning to think that this author had a crystal ball.

....and this guy has been married 5 times????? That's real Christian of him unless he's a widower 5 times over

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    5 years ago
I read a book of fiction

Apparently, some people want to make fiction a reality. 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
9  Transyferous Rex    5 years ago

Gordy, I may have missed it, but I didn't see a link to the Bill or any reference in the article, so I linked it, for those that wanted a peak. Short read, unless you click on the various other referenced chapters and sections.

Prosecutors would have to show that it fell under Chapter 19.03(a)(3), (murder for hire); otherwise, it wouldn't be capital murder. 

It seems this is a vain attempt. I don't agree with abortion. I don't think attempts like this do any thing but fan flames either. I'm assuming this won't grow any legs.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Transyferous Rex @9    5 years ago

I hope you're right

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.2  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Transyferous Rex @9    5 years ago
Prosecutors would have to show that it fell under Chapter 19.03(a)(3), (murder for hire); otherwise, it wouldn't be capital murder.

Based on that, the argument can be made that a woman "hired" a doctor at an abortion clinic to "murder" her fetus. Of course, such cases would unnecessarily clog the courts.

It seems this is a vain attempt. 

Or it's just an attempt to scare people into not having or performing abortions. 

I'm assuming this won't grow any legs.

I certainly hope not.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
9.2.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2    5 years ago

Yeah, I didn't read enough of the Chapter. I think murder for hire may be a stretch, although I agree with your reading. Regardless, no need to go there when 19.03(a)(8) makes it a capital crime if:

the person murders an individual under 10 years of age; or 

Look, I'm not a fan of abortion. At the end of the day, I recognize the SC's rulings though. I think, quite obviously, this goes way beyond a hurdle. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
10  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

"Enthusiasm for the antiabortion cause was evident as well in the surprise box office success of the film “Unplanned,” which paints a dark picture of Planned Parenthood and other groups that defend abortion rights. The White House is screening a film with a similar message on Friday, according to the Hollywood Reporter."

So enthusiasm has risen based on an anecdotal account of one woman's story that's been sensationalized into a Hollywood film about a woman who regretted getting two abortions and working for PP. Not sure what that has to do with attempting to deny other people the right to make their own decisions just because this Abby regretted hers. I find it interesting that when she supposedly breaks down after seeing an abortion being performed at 13 weeks she runs to her two anti-abortion friends and asks them what she's going to do for money if she quits, she's going to lose her job, then "Poof", she manages to write a "memoir" and market it to the anti-abortion crowd and then has a movie deal. "Unplanned" is nothing but poorly filmed proselytizing propaganda that, as the Hollywood reporter said, is comparable to a "basic cable television movie in its mediocre production values and subpar performances". The AV Club's review stated "there's not a single scene that speaks to characters with lives outside their streamlined narrative function".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10    5 years ago

Were there any parts at all in "Unplanned" that you liked?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
10.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1    5 years ago

What's to like, it's fake, it's the new Silent Scream scam.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @10.1.1    5 years ago

I was going to call it the newest "Reefer Madness"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @10.1.1    5 years ago

Is everything in the movie fake?

Are you sure?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
10.1.4  lady in black  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.3    5 years ago

Yes, I'm sure...the woman is a liar and pro lifers fell for her bullshit.  So sad really.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @10.1.4    5 years ago

What specifically in the movie is a lie?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
10.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.5    5 years ago
What specifically in the movie is a lie?

I'm not saying what Abby felt wasn't real. I'm not saying she's lying in any way. But her story doesn't tell the whole truth either. It tells her story from her perspective, and that's fine. It's her personal experience. I'm sure there are thousands of other women who were very happy they were able to legally terminate a pregnancy and now think back with a sense of relief that the option was available for them at that difficult moment in their lives. I've often expressed how I'm not pro-abortion, I am pro-choice. I hope every woman makes the right choice for herself in whatever her specific situation might be and I am also very glad nosy religious prudes have no control over a decision that should be between a woman and her doctor. This film follows a woman who had that decision before her, made a decision, not once but twice, then later regretted that decision. So who should she be blaming? Planned Parenthood for giving her a choice? The Supreme Court for not making it illegal? Of course not, she knows damn well who she needs to blame if she's feeling guilty. No one forced her to get an abortion, no one forced her to work for Planned Parenthood and no one forced her to convince women to get abortions, that's not what Planned Parenthood does. I know because that's not what they did with my wife's first pregnancy that the doctor thought was a cluster pregnancy. They warned us that it might not be a viable pregnancy but to wait and see. We did and have a healthy 9 year old daughter. Planned Parenthood isn't some Midas auto repair trying to get your wife up on the rack while rubbing their hands at the abortion profit potential. That's such an insane view of what they do it's not even close to reality, but that's how some religious conservatives attempt to paint them. And this movie is just a cash grab made by an ex-employee telling the most sensationalized version of her story. Again, I'm not saying shes lying about how she feels, but according to virtually everyone else's experience with Planned Parenthood, including my own, her version is at best exaggerated sensationalism.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10.1.6    5 years ago

I never said you stated any of that.

The question was directed to a poster who was sure that the whole movie is fake and a lie.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @10    5 years ago

So it's not even as good as a Lifetime movie, eh?

Veronica
Professor Guide
10.2.1  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.2    5 years ago

Have you ever seen the movie "If These Walls Could Talk" from 1996?  It had Cher & Demi Moore.  It looked at 3 different women's experience with abortion in 3 different decades.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @10.2.1    5 years ago

Yes, I did. It was an excellent movie

Veronica
Professor Guide
10.2.3  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.2.2    5 years ago

I thought so, too.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
10.2.4  lady in black  replied to  Veronica @10.2.1    5 years ago

I saw it, very good movie.