╌>

William Barr, Trump toady

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  17 comments

if — Barr has misrepresented the report (including the baseless accusation of “spying”), prevented Congress from fulfilling its constitutional obligations and/or consulted with the White House to determine what to redact (i.e. assisted in a coverup), it would be a serious breach of his obligations to enforce the law. He would actually be hindering its enforcement.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

APRIL 10, 2019

DA5APVC3WMI6TGGUQRAIRUJV6I.jpg

Attorney General William P. Barr said Wednesday he thought “spying” on a political campaign occurred in the course of intelligence agencies’ investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 election — a startling assertion by the nation’s top law enforcement official. . . .

Later in the hearing, Barr offered a more-tempered description of his concerns, saying that he wanted to understand if there was “unauthorized surveillance” on political figures.

“I believe there is a basis for my concern, but I’m not going to discuss the basis for my concern,” said Barr. “I am not saying that improper surveillance occurred. I am saying I am concerned about it, and I am looking into it. That is all.”

This is the language of a PR spinner, not the attorney general of the United States. As my colleague Aaron Blake points out, “spying” is a loaded phrase and a political accusation.

Moreover, the Justice Department itself has refuted this notion, making clear that the Russia probe began before the government’s surveillance of Carter Page. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) tweets :

These comments directly contradict what DOJ previously told us. I’ve asked DOJ to brief us immediately. In the meantime, the AG still owes us the full Mueller report. #ReleaseTheReport https://t.co/DFOP5igcnO

Now, if you didn’t already think Barr was failing to fulfill his oath to enforce the laws as the people’s lawyer (not Trump’s lawyer), this latest episode might do it. Remember that Barr already substituted his own “exoneration” of Trump on obstruction of justice (something the Justice Department’s guidelines specify should be a matter for Congress and not for the department), refused to use summaries that Robert S. Mueller III’s team prepared in favor of his misleading summary ( which he later claimed was not a summary ), has failed to turn over the report or Mueller summaries to Congress in a timely manner and has refused to make an unredacted version of the report available to Congress. All in all, it’s a shabby record of politicizing the Justice Department in a way that his predecessors avoided.

What’s Congress to do? First, see what the redactions look like. Second, go to court if need be to obtain a subpoena (after waiting to see if Barr holds out). Third, bring Mueller in to testify, asking him details about the report but also about Barr’s letter and conduct.

If and it is a big if — Barr has misrepresented the report (including the baseless accusation of “spying”), prevented Congress from fulfilling its constitutional obligations and/or consulted with the White House to determine what to redact (i.e. assisted in a coverup), it would be a serious breach of his obligations to enforce the law. He would actually be hindering its enforcement.

At that point, lawmakers should demand Barr resign. Unless by some miracle he follows that advice, the House, if the above conditions are met, should move to impeachment hearings. The Justice Department under his leadership at that point would have lost its credibility, and the precedent would have been set for future attorneys general to obstruct (just to pick a verb) the investigation of a special counsel.

Constitutional lawyer Laurence H. Tribe tells me, “Attorney General Barr is surely among the ‘civil Officers of the United States’ subject to removal pursuant to the impeachment clause, Art. II, §4, and I don’t doubt based on his March 24 letter, his subsequent shifting and shifty pronouncements, and his disgraceful testimony yesterday and today (including his wild and unsubstantiated accusations against the Obama Justice Department) that, whatever highly redacted document he releases as Mueller’s report next week, Barr has been gravely abusing the powers of his office, possibly (although not, in my view, certainly) to the degree of committing ‘high Crimes and Misdemeanors.’”

However, Tribe and Joshua Matz argue in their book “To End a Presidency” that impeachment is a political decision. Tribe says, “The House has discretion whether to impeach someone whom it believes committed an impeachable offense and, in fact, has a constitutional responsibility to consider the consequences of doing so.” He continues, “Exercising that discretion, I don’t think the House should undertake to impeach the current attorney general, although I wouldn’t blame anyone in Congress who felt a strong temptation to do so based on how he has conducted himself in office thus far.”

Only one Cabinet member has ever been impeached: William Belknap, President Ulysses S. Grant’s secretary of war. (He was acquitted.) Nevertheless, if there are situations in which Trump compels Cabinet members to lie, manipulate Congress and thwart the law, it should be considered seriously on a case-by-case basis.

Whether or not Barr (or anyone else) is actually removed is of secondary concern. (Unlike Trump, Barr isn’t on the ballot in 2020, and most voters aren’t going to change their vote based on punishment of a Cabinet member.) It’s important for the House to educate the public on the obligations of Cabinet members and to give Cabinet members second and third thoughts about defying the law. It’s also important for voters to see if and how Republican senators defend Barr’s conduct. A gaggle of them will be up for reelection in 2020.

Consider that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin so far has refused to turn over six years of Trump’s tax returns to the House Ways and Means Committee chairman as expressly required by statute. If he continues to refuse, the House can issue a subpoena . Having in its back pocket the power of impeachment might go a long way toward encouraging Mnuchin to comply.

We reach this acute crisis in constitutional governance because Trump and his third-string Cabinet members show contempt for the rule of law and a willingness to blatantly advance falsehoods. In extraordinary times, House Democrats should consider all of their powers — oversight, subpoena and, where appropriate, impeachment.

Let’s hope that Barr promptly turns over the report with a scant number of redactions. If not, the House needs do everything possible to defend the rule of law and the public’s right to know whether their president was negligent with national security and/or tried to willfully thwart a valid investigation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

He shot his historical reputation to hell today. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    5 years ago
Let’s hope that Barr promptly turns over the report with a scant number of redactions.

He is coloring coding the redactions so the left can understand it.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sunshine @4    5 years ago

even those color blind, are White cause they dislike black and darker colors than themselves and would prefer to be shaded

under treason

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sunshine @4    5 years ago

There is just no way that he can dumb it down enough for some to ever understand it, colors or no!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    5 years ago

don't be so hard on yourself Tex,

i got a color blind tutor to show me the black and white of it all, what a bitch though, always barking at me, but she did good services, for many blind

individuals, well

mainly one, the one ive known a lot of years 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

"You will bow and kneel."  The Omarosa.

Atty. General Barr has been well placed.

Trump is invincible.

Be warned.  All who stand against the Trump are in peril. 

MAGA is the 'New Murica'.

There is no way out.  The door is shut. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @5    5 years ago
"You will bow and kneel." The Omarosa.
Atty. General Barr has been well placed.
Trump is invincible.
Be warned. All who stand against the Trump are in peril.
MAGA is the 'New Murica'.
There is no way out. The door is shut.

Oh. Well, that is just great!

So no need to write anything else, is there?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

After listening to Barr, I was immediately reminded of those stupid televised cabinet meetings where everyone around the table took turns praising Trump and thanking him for being the closest thing to God they had ever seen.

Not to worry, though.  Like everyone else, a few months into his tenure, when he starts to worry that he might be forever stained by the Trump funk, he'll head for the nearest exit.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @6    5 years ago

Remember, Mr. Barr advised (convinced) then President George Bush that it was OK to pardon the 6 Iran Contra geniuses, even Casper Weinberger who had not been tried yet.

He's nothing but a team player, always has been.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    5 years ago
He's nothing but a team player, always has been.

Thank God he is on the American team.