WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraws asylum

Via:  vic-eldred  •  one month ago  •  96 comments

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraws asylum
“The MPS had a duty to execute the warrant, on behalf of Westminster Magistrates' Court, and was invited into the embassy by the Ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government's withdrawal of asylum,” the statement said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was arrested by British police Thursday moments after Ecuador announced it withdrew his asylum for “repeatedly violating international conventions and protocol.”

Ecuadoran Foreign Minister Jose Valencia told Teleamazonas this week that living in the embassy indefinitely is bad for Assange’s "state of mind, his health,” but that Assange has a right to a fair trial and right to a defense.

London's Metropolitan Police vowed earlier this month to arrest Assange if he were freed. Assange, who has lived in the embassy for more than six years, faces possible extradition to the U.S. for publishing thousands of classified military and diplomatic cables through WikiLeaks.

Assange, 47, has been in the embassy since 2012 when British courts ordered him extradited to Sweden to face questioning in a sexual assault case. That matter has since been dropped, but Wikileaks is facing a federal grand jury investigation over its publication of American diplomatic and military secrets during the Iraq War.

Assange, an Australian native, was arrested on a Westminster Magistrates’ Court warrant which was issued on June 29, 2012, for failing to surrender to court, Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

“The MPS had a duty to execute the warrant, on behalf of Westminster Magistrates' Court, and was invited into the embassy by the Ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government's withdrawal of asylum,” the statement said.

UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt thanked the Ecuadorean government for their cooperation with the Assange arrest.

"Julian Assange is no hero and no one is above the law. He has hidden from the truth for years," Hunt tweeted. "Thank you Ecuador and President @Lenin Moreno for your cooperation with @foreignoffice to ensure Assange faces justice."

The main WikiLeaks Twitter handle accused Ecuador of “illegally” terminating Assange’s political asylum and accused the country of violating international law.

“This man is a son, a father, a brother. He has won dozens of journalism awards. He's been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize every year since 2010. Powerful actors, including CIA, are engaged in a sophisticated effort to dehumanise, delegitimize and imprison him,” WikiLeaks tweeted.

While in the Ecuadorean Embassy, Assange had an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannityin 2017 and has hosted Pamela Anderson on a few occasions

In the “Hannity” interview, Assange argued that the Obama administration was pushing the narrative of Russia meddling in the U.S. election to delegitimize then-President-elect Donald Trump.

He also claimed he wasn’t the source for the hacked emails he released from the Democratic National Committee and Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta.

Last year, it appeared Assange had struck up a romantic connection with the former Playboy centerfold and “Baywatch” star. She told Harvey Levin on Fox News’ “OBJECTified” that they had a “closeness.”

694940094001_5818380544001_5818377824001

“I have a real personal relationship with him,” Anderson said.

Noting their initial meeting, she told Fox News: “I brought him some vegan food, and now it’s a tradition that I bring him vegan food every time I see him, and I see him a lot.”

Assange was granted asylum at the Ecuadorean Embassy in August 2012.

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.

ry0_ovj__400x400.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

Article is Locked

Find text within the comments Find 

Vic Eldred
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    one month ago

There are reports of an extradition order to the US.

Is he a hero as the left once held Daniel Ellsberg?  Or did he lose that status with the left during the 2016 election?

Ed-NavDoc
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    one month ago

About damn time!

1stwarrior
1.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    one month ago

Why??  Chelsea Manning is free and had an all expense paid sex change on taxpayer's dollars - and he/she/it STOLE THE CLASSIFIED DATA.

Ed-NavDoc
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @1.1.1    one month ago

Don't even get me started on that treasonous piece of scum.

Freedom Warrior
1.2  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    one month ago

Assange and Snowden are undoubtedly heroes.   Of course they will be vilified by enemies and corrupt officials within the government here and elsewhere.

That tells you all you need to know about why they are targeting him.

Ed-NavDoc
1.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1.2    one month ago

Cannot accuse Assange of treason as he is a Australian citizen. "Fast Eddie" Snowden on the other hand  to me is treasonous piece of scum! No telling how many American military lives his reckless actions cost or endangered. People try to make him out to be a heroic and altruistic whistleblower. I consider a coward and a thief! A true whistleblower would have had the guts to stay and stand up for what he did. Snowden chose to cut and run and turn multiple computers and untold intelligence data to  foreign and potentially hostile powers, i.e. China and Russia. You think those two powers did not run their hands together in unmitigated glee to receive the "gifts" he gave them? As much as I detest Manning, I will at least give him credit for staying and being brave enough to face thy he music at home. Cannot say that for that coward Snowden. My viewpoint may be somewhat different than others due to being retired military and having held secret and top secret clearances during my career.

Vic Eldred
1.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1.2    one month ago

You know what makes this story unique?  It's that it crosses party & ideological lines. We have both Conservatives & progressives on both sides of the issue.

They are treading a fine line. They are not accusing him of publishing classified material - only conspiracy to steal it!

Freedom Warrior
1.2.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.2    one month ago

OF course they had to drum up that charge but we all know the real reason they are going after him.

I know and understand the claim but it's so flimsy as to be laughable.   Under the guise of "National Security" yet no hack actually occured and nobody was harmed, Manning was pardoned even and so on. 

Plus, seriously, we have a substantial list of proven and credible national security abuses under the obama administration in the form of HRC and of course nothing was done about that.  Further we have woefully insecure borders that represent a far greater threat to national security and yet you have a large share of the Democrat Party officials championing lax border security or even worse full  on open border policies as in the case of BEaTOff O'Dork.   The list goes on and on making this exercise in phony justice in reality an attack on whistleblowers willing to expose corruption within US government which is now rampant.

zuksam
2  zuksam    one month ago

Our Government should be careful about setting a bad precedence. Our Media offends foreign governments all the time, they print Leaked and Stolen Information about foreign governments from many sources including confidential informants in the Pentagon and CIA. Our Government doesn't care most times as long as it makes the "Bad Guy's" look bad. If we prosecute Assange we're creating a slippery slope that could lead to American Journalist's being criminally charged by Foreign Nations. Sure they can do that now but at least the US government can say we don't allow that and we protect their rights as Journalist's. If We prosecute Assange we lose the high ground, kind of like we did with Torture.

Vic Eldred
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  zuksam @2    one month ago

And the hacking?

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
3  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ    one month ago

He should be pardoned, he's a global hero for his revolutionary quest to provide government transparency.

Not to mention he gave us the Podesta emails where we learned Hillary smells like moth balls and farts.

It Is ME
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @3    one month ago
He should be pardoned, he's a global hero for his revolutionary quest to provide government transparency.

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Democrats should be doing all they can to protect him, since they're sooooo into "Transparency" now. jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
4  JohnRussell    one month ago

Assange was never a hero to me. He was and is , very dangerous. Assange is essentially an anarchist and is certainly anti-American. 

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
4.1  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  JohnRussell @4    one month ago

He exposed our Government's torture program and we had a national conversation about it and put an end to it.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
4.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @4.1    one month ago
He exposed our Government's torture program and we had a national conversation about it and put an end to it.

Chelsea Manning is the one who exposed it, fishy.  Assange merely disseminated Manning's information.  

Ed-NavDoc
4.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.1.1    one month ago

And you think that makes him any less culpable? Hardly...

Freedom Warrior
4.2  Freedom Warrior  replied to  JohnRussell @4    one month ago

Very Dangerous?  WTF You can't be serious. The guy was locked away in tiny room for nearly 7 years. 

Absolutely absurd.

Ed-NavDoc
4.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Freedom Warrior @4.2    one month ago

But he still had access to a computer and the internet...

Jeremy Retired in NC
4.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @4    one month ago

To Democrats, he was a hero until he exposed their corruption.  Then, and only then, was he declared a criminal.

JohnRussell
5  JohnRussell    one month ago

We come back to anarchist's affection for Donald Trump. Assange wanted Trump to win, so he released illegally obtained information about Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party. He acted like a king or a king maker. 

Anarchists support Trump because he is seen, as a useful idiot,  as forwarding their 'agenda'.  We even see that on this forum. 

Trump creates chaos within the society and the government, which anarchists like to see. 

1stwarrior
5.1  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @5    one month ago

You do know that this happened SEVEN years ago - before Trump.

You won't quit, will you?

WallyW
5.1.1  WallyW  replied to  1stwarrior @5.1    one month ago

He's grasping at any available straws today.

Jeremy Retired in NC
5.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  WallyW @5.1.1    one month ago

He and many like him have been doing that since they lost a "sure thing" election in 2016.  It seems to be all they know anymore.

Tessylo
6  Tessylo    one month ago

'Anarchists support Trump because he is seen, as a useful idiot,  as forwarding their 'agenda'.  We even see that on this forum.'

True 'dat!

It Is ME
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6    one month ago
Anarchists

Democrats ?

I thought they hated Trump.

Weird !

The Magic Eight Ball
6.1.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  It Is ME @6.1    one month ago

the new spin is we are now anarchists and the left are patriots.

the left always accuses others of that which they do while saying they are that which they are not.

this tactic is nothing new and is pathetically childish.

but, if they see following the rule of law as anarchy?

they should buckle up because all hell is breaking loose... LOL

It Is ME
6.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @6.1.1    one month ago
pathetically childish.

The hammer just hit the nail head …… Dead On ….. on that comment.

The over abundance of "Pussyfier" production helped though.

The manufacturer must be a bazillionaire right now. Bernie ? "Pocahontas? Booker ? Harris ?

JohnRussell
6.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.2    one month ago

reading a chit chat between you and 8 ball is mind numbing.

the new spin is we are now anarchists and the left are patriots.

Not all conservatives or right wingers are libertarians or right wing anarchists, but there are obviously some on the fringe. A couple months ago I posted an article from a anachro-capitalist website in which the editor exhorted his (anarchist) readers to support Donald Trump because the "left" must be opposed and destroyed. 

It Is ME
6.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.3    one month ago
reading a chit chat between you and 8 ball is mind numbing.

Then don't read it !

SAVE YOURSELF !

Tessylo
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.3    one month ago
'reading a chit chat between you and 8 ball is mind numbing.'

Tell me about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

The Magic Eight Ball
6.1.6  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.3    one month ago
reading a chit chat between you and 8 ball is mind numbing

you never miss a single word I type and you know it.

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
7  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ    one month ago

If Julian transitions in to Julie Assange, he will get pardoned.

The Magic Eight Ball
7.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @7    one month ago

obama is no longer in office... LOL

1stwarrior
7.2  1stwarrior  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @7    one month ago

Wuz wondering 'bout that - Chelsea Manning stole the classified data - Julian announced it - Chelsea got a sex change and is out of jail - all on the taxpayer's $ - WTF, over?????

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
7.2.1  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  1stwarrior @7.2    one month ago

Julian Assange has always maintained the Russians did not hack the DNC and that an American asset did. We are now going to find out exactly who delivered the emails to Wikileaks. Remember the DNC did not want this investigated. They refused access of their servers to the FBI.

mocowgirl
7.2.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.2.2    one month ago
Hard to "remember" something that never happened.

It did happen according to Comey while testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee.   The DNC's private contractor was the organization that declared that the DNC was hacked by Russian operatives. The FBI was never given access to the server.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/313555-comey-fbi-did-request-access-to-hacked-dnc-servers
The FBI requested direct access to the Democratic National Committee’s (DNC) hacked computer servers but was denied, Director James Comey told lawmakers on Tuesday.

The bureau made “multiple requests at different levels,” according to Comey, but ultimately struck an agreement with the DNC that a “highly respected private company” would get access and share what it found with investigators.

“We’d always prefer to have access hands-on ourselves if that’s possible,” Comey said, noting that he didn’t know why the DNC rebuffed the FBI’s request.

The director was testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee in a rare open session on Russian interference in the U.S. presidential election.

The DNC and the bureau have been quibbling in news reports over whether the FBI asked to examine its servers directly.

The DNC told BuzzFeed in a statement published last week that the FBI never requested access to its servers after they were breached.

But a senior law enforcement official disputed that characterization the following day.

“The FBI repeatedly stressed to DNC officials the necessity of obtaining direct access to servers and data, only to be rebuffed until well after the initial compromise had been mitigated,” the official said.

“This left the FBI no choice but to rely upon a third party for information. These actions caused significant delays and inhibited the FBI from addressing the intrusion earlier.”

CrowdStrike, the private security firm in question, has published extensive forensic analysis backing up its assessment that the threat groups that infiltrated the DNC were associated with Russian intelligence.

7.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  mocowgirl @7.2.3    one month ago

Not wanting to give up the private information on the DNC server is a completely different thing than not wanting the hacking investigated at all.   And, as your own link shows that the investigation went on: 

“This left the FBI no choice but to rely upon a third party for information. These actions caused significant delays and inhibited the FBI from addressing the intrusion earlier.”
CrowdStrike, the private security firm in question, has published extensive forensic analysis backing up its assessment that the threat groups that infiltrated the DNC were associated with Russian intelligence.

You should take care to never accept anything fish puts up here. 

mocowgirl
7.2.5  mocowgirl  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.2.4    one month ago
Not wanting to give up the private information on the DNC server

BY THE FBI?  If the DNC does not trust the FBI, why should anyone?

mocowgirl
7.2.6  mocowgirl  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.2.4    one month ago
the DNC server

Was hacked in 2015.  The FBI notified the DNC in 2015 and was ignored.  It seems that the DNC does not trust our FBI, doesn't it?

The DNC ignored FBI warnings and/or did not take the FBI warnings seriously enough to educate their staffers about  computer safety protocols and also upgrade their  system's cyber security.  

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/26/us/2016-presidential-campaign-hacking-fast-facts/index.html
November 2015 - The FBI reaches out to the DNC again, warning them that one of their computers is transmitting information back to Russia. DNC management later says that IT technicians failed to pass along the message that the system had been breached.
March 19, 2016 - Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta receives a phishing email masked as an alert from Google that another user had tried to access his account. It contains a link to a page where Podesta can change his password. He shares the email with a staffer from the campaign's help desk. The staffer replies with a typo - instead of typing "This is an illegitimate email," the staffer types "This is a legitimate email." Podesta follows the instructions and types a new password, allowing hackers to access his emails.
June 12, 2016 - During an interview on British television, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange says that the website has obtained and will publish a batch of Clinton emails.
June 14, 2016 - The Washington Post reports hackers working for the Russian government accessed the DNC's computer system, stealing oppositional research on Donald Trump and viewing staffers' emails and chat exchanges. The Kremlin, however, denies that the government was linked to the hack, and a US official tells CNN that investigators have not yet concluded that the cyberattack was directed by the Russian government.
June 15, 2016 - A cybersecurity firm hired by the DNC posts a public notice on its website describing an attack on the political committee's computer network by two groups associated with Russian intelligence. According to the post, two Russian-backed groups called "Cozy Bear" and "Fancy Bear" tunneled into the committee's computer system. In response, a blogger called Guccifer 2.0 claims that he alone conducted the hack, not the Russians. As proof, he posts internal DNC memos and opposition research on Trump. Furthermore, Guccifer 2.0 claims to have passed along thousands of files to WikiLeaks. Trump offers his own theory on the origins of the attack: suggesting in a statement that the DNC hacked itself to distract from Clinton's email scandal.
July 22, 2016 - Days before the Democratic National Convention, WikiLeaks publishes nearly 20,000 emails hacked from the DNC server. The documents include notes in which DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz insults staffers from the Bernie Sanders campaign and messages that suggest the organization was favoring Clinton rather than remaining neutral. Wasserman Schultz resigns in the aftermath of the leak.
July 25, 2016 - The FBI announces it has launched an investigation into the DNC hack. Although the statement doesn't indicate that the agency has a particular suspect or suspects in mind, US officials tell CNN they think the cyberattack is linked to Russia.

mocowgirl
7.2.7  mocowgirl  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.2.4    one month ago
the DNC server

was hacked by the Sanders campaign in 2015.

Why was the DNC so susceptible to hacking in 2016 after being notified by the FBI in 2015 and also supposedly being hacked by the Sanders campaign?

The Sanders computer expert said the DNC system was not safeguarded properly in 2015.  

https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign-dnc-suspension/index.html
Two senior Democrats familiar with the program and the investigation told CNN that the Sanders campaign accessed turnout projections for Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary, a key piece of strategy the Clinton campaign has been working on with modeling and analytics.

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
7.2.8  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  mocowgirl @7.2.5    one month ago

You mean the FBI that spied on a political campaign for the democrats?

mocowgirl
7.2.9  mocowgirl  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.2.4    one month ago
You should take care to never accept anything fish puts up here. 

I am a skeptic.  I rarely accept anything that anyone puts up here.

Paula Bartholomew
7.2.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  mocowgirl @7.2.5    one month ago

The FBI took care of a problem I had years ago.  I put my trust in them and they did not let me down.

7.2.11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  mocowgirl @7.2.5    one month ago

After what Comey did to Clinton during the campaign---TWICE?  Are you fucking kidding me? 

8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    one month ago

Ol' Scumbag must be soiling his depends with this news.  Assange knows all the shit about the Russia-Scumbag connection in 2016 and will be more than happy to offer that up to save his ass.  

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
8.1  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8    one month ago

We have a clean up on Aisle 5, a rather large spill of Russian trutherism.

What are people doing with their Mueller Time t-shirts?

Sunshine
8.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @8.1    one month ago
What are people doing with their Mueller Time t-shirts?

They will make good rags?

katrix
8.2  katrix  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8    one month ago

Trump is now lying his ass off - as usual - and saying he knows nothing about WikiLeaks.  It's not his thing.  Despite being recorded many times bleating about how much he loves WikiLeaks.

The man would lie about where his own father was born, despite clear proof to the contrary.  Oh, wait ...

Vic Eldred
8.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8    one month ago
Ol' Scumbag must be soiling his depends with this news. 

The Obama administration wouldn't prosecute Assange, yet it's the Trump administration that is doing just that!  So, Trump isn't soiling, he's doing his job!

katrix
8.3.1  katrix  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3    one month ago

His political asylum was just revoked ... kind of hard for anyone to do anything, until that happened.

Vic Eldred
8.3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  katrix @8.3.1    one month ago

The U.S. indictment of Assange charges him for computer-hacking crimes for allegedly coaching Manning how to cover his tracks as he stole classified information.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/christian-whiton-assange-and-throw-away-the-key

That's to update you.

8.3.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.2    one month ago
The U.S. indictment of Assange charges him for computer-hacking crimes for allegedly coaching Manning how to cover his tracks as he stole classified information.

In fact, the indictment reads:

Assange agreed to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on United States Department of Defense computers”

Quite a bit different than "coaching" (whatever that means).  Manning gave information to Assange who then worked on cracking the password.  So Assange was an active participant in the crime not at arm's length simply giving advice.  

The conditions under which the British attorney general agrees to extradite Assange are still being worked out.  It's possible the he may not be willing to do so under serious charges of espionage but the much lesser charge of hacking.  In that event it will be interesting to find out whether he also gets charged for receiving illegally hacked Democratic party data given to him by Guccifer2.0 (i.e., the Russian GRU).  Even if Barr decides (which wouldn't surprise anyone) to give him a pass on that it may be possible to bring Assange before Congress to be questioned about that.  

Texan1211
8.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.3.3    one month ago

yeah, it is a shame that Obama saw fit to commute the sentence for a piece of shit like Manning.

KDMichigan
8.4  KDMichigan  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8    one month ago
Ol' Scumbag must be soiling his depends with this news.

Why would that be. It took the Trump administration to get Assange out of the Embassy. Just another thing Obama failed at.

So do the left love Assange again or do they hate him? I know they are stuck on stupid with their collusion thing because they can't accept that the Hag Hillaryious Hillary lost. 

8.4.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  KDMichigan @8.4    one month ago
It took the Trump administration to get Assange out of the Embassy.

The warrant for his arrest was issued during the Obama administration.  Jeez, do you lot ever know anything? 

Texan1211
8.4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.4.1    one month ago
It took the Trump administration to get Assange out of the Embassy.
The warrant for his arrest was issued during the Obama administration. Jeez, do you lot ever know anything?

Apparently, he knows that the TRUMP Admin. got Assange out of the Ecuadorian embassy.

What did Obama Admin. do to serve the warrant they issued?

MrFrost
9  MrFrost    one month ago

Arrested clutching a copy of Roger Stones book... Too stupid to make it up. 

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
9.1  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ  replied to  MrFrost @9    one month ago

He could have spent the last two years on an internet forum pitching the Russia hoax and obsessing about the bogus dossier......

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

9.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @9.1    one month ago
He could have spent the last two years on an internet forum pitching the Russia hoax and obsessing about the bogus dossier...

Here's the statement from the President of Ecuador explaining why they'd finally had enough of your hero, Assange:

“The discourteous and aggressive behavior of Mr. Julian Assange; the hostile and threatening declarations of his allied organization against Ecuador, and especially the transgression of international treaties, have led the situation to a point where the asylum of Mr. Assange is unsustainable and no longer viable,” Moreno said.

And here's a more detailed list of your hero's behavior that led to his being chucked out:

• Feces:Interior Minister Maria Paula Romo told reporters Thursday that the previous administration had allowed Assange to get away with behavior like ”putting feces on the walls of the embassy and other behaviors of that nature.”

• Costs:Foreign Minister José Valencia told Ecuador’s National Assembly that the country had spent in total $5.8 million in security costs between June 2012 to September 2018. The security costs since have dropped Valencia said, but he added that the country had laid out about $400,000 in medical, food, laundry and legal expenses for Assange.

• Skateboarding:Valencia outlined some of Assange’s more erratic behavior inside the embassy, including skateboarding, a practice Ecuador’s former ambassador to Britain, Juan Falconí Puig, said “damaged floors, walls, and doors.” Assange also liked to play soccer inside with many of the guests who visited. On one occasion when a security guard took Assange’s ball away, the WikiLeaks founder shoved the guard, grabbed the ball and “launched the ball at his body.”

• Hygiene:Valencia told lawmakers that Assange had “improper hygiene practices,” a charge which has been levied against Assange previously. Last October the embassy staff were so fed up with Assange’s personal habits, that they issued a memo demanding he clean up after himself.

• Aggressive behavior:Both Moreno and Valencia described Assange’s behavior towards embassy staff as “aggressive.” This included insulting embassy staff and using a loudspeaker in the middle of the night. He also used to block security cameras and accuse staff of spying on him.

• Spying allegations:It appears that one of the final straws was WikiLeaks’ allegations earlier this week that the Ecuadorian government was trying to blackmail Assange using videotapes of a medical examination obtained by a sophisticated surveillance system inside the embassy.

• Health: Ecuador also said it had concerns about Assange’s health. Romo said his mental and physical health deteriorated while he was holed up inside the embassy.

You ought to be more careful in picking out people for your hero worship, fish.  

Vic Eldred
9.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @9    one month ago
Arrested clutching a copy of Roger Stones book...

Nope:

"He appeared to be carrying a copy of Gore Vidal’s book History of The National Security State."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/assange-how-ecuador-finally-got-sick-of-wikileaks-founder-and-ended-his-refuge-at-the-embassy-in-london

9.2.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.2    one month ago

He's your "hero," vic.  Not ours. 

Vic Eldred
9.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @9.2.1    one month ago
He's your "hero

Really?

Not ours. 

Does ours include Richard Blumenthal?

9.2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.2.2    one month ago
Does ours include Richard Blumenthal?

That's certainly an interesting way to try to dodge the topic.  Bizarre but interesting.  Ever since Assange helped Manning reveal bad shit the military was doing in Afghanistan he's been a real bug bear for the right and most everyone except acolytes of Glenn Greenwald.  Actually pretty much the entire political establishment attacked Manning and Assange in 2010 except extreme whistle-blower proponents like Greenwald.  But it is true that the rightwing has been particularly unhappy with the whole idea of protecting whistle-blowers and I  (as a liberal) have mixed feelings about revealing government secrets when those secrets really don't represent any threat to security but are simply embarrassing to the government  (covering up the bombing civilians in war zones) or are actual evidence of illegal government condoned or encouraged activity (torture).  

But when it came to Assange's illegal use of stolen data on Clinton and the Democrats, the right suddenly (but certainly not inexplicably) became a champion of Assange....indeed, Scumbag himself slobbered all over himself about how much he loves Wikileaks (164 times until just last week, interestingly).  

Anyway, pretending that Assange is and always has been the darling of the left is just that standard Republican attempt to project all of their sins on to someone else.  It's a predictable as the earth's rotation.  Never, ever accept responsibility for anything by making sure to shift it somewhere, anywhere, else.  

Ender
10  Ender    one month ago

From what I gather they wanted him out. He was going insane, paranoid, abusive and wiped shit on the walls.

Freefaller
10.1  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @10    one month ago
He was going insane,

7 years of not leaving the building, I'm not surprised

Vic Eldred
10.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @10    one month ago

"His dramatic expulsion from the embassy follows a year of ratcheting tension between Assange and his Ecuadorian hosts, culminating in WikiLeaks publicizing a leak of hundreds of thousands of hacked emails mysteriously stolen from the inboxes of Ecuador’s president and first lady."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/assange-how-ecuador-finally-got-sick-of-wikileaks-founder-and-ended-his-refuge-at-the-embassy-in-london

MUVA
10.3  MUVA  replied to  Ender @10    one month ago

I heard he kept burning popcorn in the break room microwave.

Vic Eldred
10.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @10.3    one month ago
I heard he kept burning popcorn in the break room microwave.

That's unforgivable, although a good case can be made for those tasty, slightly burned chips, you know like only Wise Chips provides!

MrFrost
10.4  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @10    one month ago
abusive and wiped shit on the walls.

This was a big selling point for trump. 

10.4.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  MrFrost @10.4    one month ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

10.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Ender @10    one month ago
From what I gather they wanted him out. He was going insane, paranoid, abusive and wiped shit on the walls.

Oh, and much more:

• Feces: Interior Minister Maria Paula Romo told reporters Thursday that the previous administration had allowed Assange to get away with behavior like ”putting feces on the walls of the embassy and other behaviors of that nature.”

• Costs: Foreign Minister José Valencia told Ecuador’s National Assembly that the country had spent in total $5.8 million in security costs between June 2012 to September 2018. The security costs since have dropped Valencia said, but he added that the country had laid out about $400,000 in medical, food, laundry and legal expenses for Assange.

• Skateboarding: Valencia outlined some of Assange’s more erratic behavior inside the embassy, including skateboarding, a practice Ecuador’s former ambassador to Britain, Juan Falconí Puig, said “damaged floors, walls, and doors.” Assange also liked to play soccer inside with many of the guests who visited. On one occasion when a security guard took Assange’s ball away, the WikiLeaks founder shoved the guard, grabbed the ball and “launched the ball at his body.”

• Hygiene: Valencia told lawmakers that Assange had “improper hygiene practices,” a charge which has been levied against Assange previously. Last October the embassy staff were so fed up with Assange’s personal habits, that they issued a memo demanding he clean up after himself.

• Aggressive behavior: Both Moreno and Valencia described Assange’s behavior towards embassy staff as “aggressive.” This included insulting embassy staff and using a loudspeaker in the middle of the night. He also used to block security cameras and accuse staff of spying on him.

• Spying allegations: It appears that one of the final straws was WikiLeaks’ allegations earlier this week that the Ecuadorian government was trying to blackmail Assange using videotapes of a medical examination obtained by a sophisticated surveillance system inside the embassy.

• Health: Ecuador also said it had concerns about Assange’s health. Romo said his mental and physical health deteriorated while he was holed up inside the embassy.

Vic Eldred
11  seeder  Vic Eldred    one month ago

The case against Assange:

"That is why prosecutors have chosen to charge him with a different crime: conspiracy to help Manning break into a government computer to steal classified material. Such a crime, if proven beyond a reasonable doubt, would have a far weaker claim to constitutional protection. The courts have ruled that journalists may not break the law in an effort to obtain material whose disclosure would be protected by the First Amendment.

The problem with the current effort is that, while it might be legally strong, it seems on the face of the indictment to be factually weak. It alleges that “Assange encouraged Manning to provide information and records” from government agencies. It alleges that “Manning provided Assange with part of a password” and that “Assange requested more information.” But it goes on to say that although Assange had “been trying to crack the password,” he had “no luck so far.” Not the strongest set of facts!

The first question is whether a legal theory based on such inchoate facts will be sufficient for an extradition request to be granted. Even if it is, a grant of extradition could be appealed through several layers of courts, which would take a long time. The second question is what would happen to Assange while these appeals proceeded. If he were locked up, he might well waive extradition in the hope of winning his case in the United States. The third question is whether American prosecutors might amend the indictment to make it legally and factually stronger and, if they did, whether they would do so before or after he was extradited."........Alan Dershowitz

11.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @11    one month ago

So, does that mean Dershowitz is now out of favor this wake in the trumpikins world.  You know that more than just the Manning case is going to come out of Assange, right.  He was in the thick of the Scumbag campaigns collusion with Russia, Guccifer2.0 and, who else......oh, yeah:  Roger (sinkin' like a) Stone. 

Vic Eldred
11.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.1    one month ago

It means that you are as partisan as always. You like Dershowitz when he defends Ellsbergs rights, but are against him when he does the same with Assange. You like Dershowitz when he consistently defends civil liberties except when it comes to Trump, whom you feel has none. In this case Dershowitz is simply explaining the fine line the government is trying to tread. Is it possible you can let go of your partisan impulses for about 2 seconds and try to understand it?

11.1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.1    one month ago
It means that you are as partisan as always.

Oh, vic, right backatcha in spades.  You like Dersh when he's giving head to Scumbag but dismiss him on gun control.  When are  you going to stop using that projection card? 

Vic Eldred
11.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.1.2    one month ago
You like Dersh when he's giving head to Scumbag but dismiss him on gun control. 

Haven't you read my position on gun control. I guess you missed that one too! I have never dismissed his stand on gun control. I'm with him on that.

Vic Eldred
11.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.3    one month ago

So he failed again?  Ya, he just can't seem to lay a glove on me. It's almost unfair...

11.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.3    one month ago

"You" as in your side, vic.  And, yes, you are known by the company you keep. 

Vic Eldred
11.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.1.5    one month ago

Don't be bitter. You'll live to argue another day.

11.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.6    one month ago
You'll live to argue another day.

As long as you stick around, I'll have plenty to do.  BTW, I've never seen anything from you on your gun control record.  What is it, exactly?  Now that I reread your comment above it strikes me as extreme mush.  You haven't "dismissed" Dershowitz's stance is a long way from supporting it.  I think you think you're being cute and getting away with it.  Try again. 

11.1.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.4    one month ago
Ya, he just can't seem to lay a glove on me.

Every punch-drunk palooka says that just before he hits the canvas, vic.

Vic Eldred
11.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.1.8    one month ago

You should know

The Magic Eight Ball
12  The Magic Eight Ball    one month ago

assange knows exactly who hacked the dnc and can prove it.

this is likely to get very interesting before it is over.

The Magic Eight Ball
12.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @12    one month ago
assange knows exactly who hacked the dnc and can prove it.

that might very well be his get out of jail free card.

12.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @12    one month ago
assange knows exactly who hacked the dnc and can prove it. this is likely to get very interesting before it is over.

Oh, yes.  it will be.  And not in a good way for trumpikins.   

The Magic Eight Ball
12.2.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.2    one month ago
And not in a good way for trumpikins.

you are so freeking clueless... I just love it.

with this as well as other things... time is your worst enemy.

cheers  :)

12.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @12.2.1    one month ago
I just love it.

Making a fool of yourself? Yeah, tell us something we didn't already know.  

The Magic Eight Ball
12.2.3  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.2.2    one month ago
, tell us something we didn't already know.
  • I'm batting 1000
  • you're batting ZERO

nothing you have ever said will happen, has happened.

so, if I'm the fool?  exactly who the fuk are you?

but before you go tell me the bedtime story about how trump will never be elected again? just one more time? pretty please?  I know that story is a couple of yrs old and did not age well at all... but I love that one regardless.

12.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @12.2.3    one month ago
  • I'm batting 1000
  • you're batting ZERO

I love watching you people keeping score in a game which you're the only one playing. 

βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ
13  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ    one month ago

Assange isn't being extradited to be prosecuted, he is going to be interrogated to provide information on the American source for the DNC email hack. The DOJ is currently investigating what started the biggest hoax in US history and the illegal spying of a political campaign. 

Stay tuned, it's going to be wild!

13.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @13    one month ago

The bullshit meter is at 99 on this one, fish.  

The Magic Eight Ball
13.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  βΔĐ₣ƗŞĦ ĦΔŇĐ Ø₣ ĐØØΜ @13    one month ago
Stay tuned, it's going to be wild!

I reckon, proving who hacked the dnc will be assanges get out of jail free card. or a much lighter punishment. maybe even limited to  "time served"

13.2.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @13.2    one month ago
I reckon, proving who hacked the dnc will be assanges get out of jail free card.

We already know who did it.  Where have you been the last two years.  And you think you're "winning" something?  That gets a four-fer:  jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
13.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @13.2.1    one month ago
We already know who did it. Where have you been the last two years. And you think you're "winning" something? That gets a four-fer:

Okay, who hacked the DNC, and what can you offer as proof?

I mean, besides just your opinion.

bugsy
13.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @13.2.2    one month ago
besides just your opinion.

And feeeeeelings....that's what makes the typical lib tick.