╌>

My Leafs Fell Again - You'd Think It Was Autumn

Category:  Sports

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

It's been a long time since I watched an NHL game - When I was a kid I would always listen on Saturday night to Foster Hewitt announce the "Hockey Night in Canada" games - those were the days when the Leafs were Stanley Cup winners.  Has there ever been a kid in Canada who couldn't skate and wasn't a hockey fan?  Then I watched the games on TV and went to Maple Leaf Gardens to watch the Leafs play now and then when I lived in Toronto.   Amazingly, China CCTV showed the deciding semi-final between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins today.  What I saw right away is that the Bruins had better defence, and I can understand the Leafs losing because they were unable to even capitalize on having an extra man during a Bruins' penalty and when they pulled the goalie at the end.  Bad luck too - I saw early on a great shot bounce off the Bruin's goal post.   Anyway, when the Bruins got their empty net goal, I turned off the TV - I don't like going to funerals either.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

How I miss hearing Foster Hewitt shout "He shoots, he scores" during the Leafs' golden days.  There used to be a time....

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Leafs have been snake bitten for decades.....

thought this would be the year they’d make a run.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    5 years ago

If the Cubs could do it, the Leafs will too (I think).

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
3  Uptownchick    5 years ago

I feel your pain Buzz! The Wings haven't even made it to the playoffs for three years! The best hockey news for this Wings fan is Stevie Y is coming back as the GM! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Uptownchick @3    5 years ago

I used to really enjoy watching Gordie Howe play, but I know that Yzerman was a real star, so maybe he'll get the team competitive again.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4  luther28    5 years ago

Sorry Buzz, but the Bruins are moving on.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  luther28 @4    5 years ago

Yeah, luther28, so I've noticed, but your condolences are accepted.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.1.1  luther28  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago

Sorry I'm from the south of Boston area, it's a genetic thing for me. Don't fret, the Sox eventually began to win hopefully it won't take the Leafs as long.

See you next year:)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  luther28 @4.1.1    5 years ago

I once had the privilege of watching a game in Fenway Park - saw a homer hit over the green monster.  Great food.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    5 years ago

I feel your pain to Buzz I watched the game as well, disappointing to say the least.  Well as we die hard Leafs fans are used to saying, there's always next year.

Even sadder imo is they were the last Canadian team still playing, now that they're gone there isn't any reason to continue watching the playoffs (for me).

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Freefaller @5    5 years ago

Well, you could root for the Sharks 🦈 for the rest of the Stanley Cup playoffs....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    5 years ago

The Sharks?  Is that a team that lawyers endorse?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    5 years ago
The Sharks?

I thought those were the guys who were always feuding with the Jets, Officer Krupksi.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1.2    5 years ago

Well, I go back to the time of the original teams in the NHL.  I think there were six.  Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Chicago, Boston and was it New York? Never knew much about the expansion teams.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Freefaller  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    5 years ago
Well, you could root for the Sharks

Nope, in this order it's the Leafs, Jets, Flames, Oilers, Habs, Sens, Canucks or no one.

The only playoff hope I've got going right now is the Raptors (and I don't even really like basketball)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.5  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @5.1.4    5 years ago

What about the Tigercats (my home of birth and youth) then the Argos, BB's, Allouettes.....

(I've never been a basketball fan either - the only pro game I ever went to was the original exhibition game between the newly formed Raptors and the team with Michael Jordan to see him play. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.1.6  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.3    5 years ago
Well, I go back to the time of the original teams in the NHL.  I think there were six.  Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Chicago, Boston and was it New York?

Buzz, that brings to mind an old Doonesbury cartoon.  Mike Doonesbury is skating in a college hockey game and is checked by an opposing player.  Mike lets out a stream of French curses.  The other player says, "Sorry sir, I had no idea that you were Canadian".  As Mike skates away, his thought bubble says, "Actually I'm a French student from the Bronx."

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.5    5 years ago
What about the Tigercats (my home of birth and youth) then the Argos, BB's, Allouettes.....

Lol Buzz when the season rolls around again I'll be hoping for the Argos but that is not right now.  Right now is hockey and basketball.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @5    5 years ago

That was my last game to watch this year as well.  When it comes to hockey, I'm a dedicated homer, although I do cheer on the Canadian Olympic and World Hockey Canadian teams.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    5 years ago
I do cheer on the Canadian Olympic and World Hockey Canadian teams.

As do I

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @5    5 years ago

Me too.

TTGA
Professor Silent
6  TTGA    5 years ago

They'll be back Buzz.  Should be an exciting season next year.  Hope for both the Maple Leafs and Redwings will ensue.  Also, you found that you can get the games in the postseason on TV over there.  That's certainly a good thing.

Save Me Jebus
Freshman Silent
7  Save Me Jebus    5 years ago

As an Oilers fan, I've got nothing but sadness every single NHL season. At least the Leafs make the playoffs. We couldn't even win the one thing we're good at, the top lottery draft pick.

Your team will be there again next year. Mine is still likely years away.

At least the Flames lost. Yay.

But that Sharks / Knights game was probably one of the craziest game 7's I've ever seen!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Save Me Jebus @7    5 years ago

LOL.  Well, you had your golden Oiler days with the Great One. Mine go much further back.