╌>

Biden called Heather Heyer’s mother hours after mentioning her death in campaign video

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cms5  •  5 years ago  •  26 comments

Biden called Heather Heyer’s mother hours after mentioning her death in campaign video
“Most people do that sort of thing,” she said. “They capitalize on whatever situation is handy. He didn’t reach out to me, and didn’t mention her by name specifically, and he probably knew we don’t endorse candidates.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The mother of Heather Heyer, the Charlottesville woman killed during the 2017 protests there, said Friday that former vice president Joe Biden called hours after invoking her daughter in the video announcing his presidential campaign launch.

Biden kicked off his third run for the White House with a strongly-worded condemnation of the self-proclaimed white supremacists who marched in Charlottesville, describing “their crazed faces illuminated by torches, veins bulging, and baring the fangs of racism. Chanting the same anti-Semitic bile heard across Europe in the ‘30s.” He added: “And they were met by a courageous group of Americans, and a violent clash ensued, and a brave young woman lost her life.”

Susan Bro, the mother of Heyer, who was killed when a self-proclaimed white supremacist drove his car into the crowd, said Biden called her later in the afternoon Thursday.

Before that, Bro had told the Daily Beast that she wasn’t surprised Biden mentioned Heyer without alerting her first.

“Most people do that sort of thing,” she said. “They capitalize on whatever situation is handy. He didn’t reach out to me, and didn’t mention her by name specifically, and he probably knew we don’t endorse candidates.”

Biden called around 4:30 p.m., Bro said during a Friday morning appearance on CNN, and told her he didn’t reach out initially because he didn’t know how that would make her feel.

“I said, ‘yes,’ I noticed you didn’t mention her name because you hadn’t contacted me. So, we acknowledged that much,” Bro said.

Bro said that for most of the call they spoke about bereavement, a subject Biden is intimately familiar with after losing his first wife and daughter in a car accident and more recently his son to cancer.

She said Biden called her because she said rumors were circulating that his video had “devastated and traumatized” her, which it hadn’t. But she told him that it was likely so for other people in Charlottesville to have those images “thrown up at them on the screen.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1  seeder  cms5    5 years ago
She said Biden called her because she said rumors were circulating that his video had “devastated and traumatized” her, which it hadn’t. But she told him that it was likely so for other people in Charlottesville to have those images “thrown up at them on the screen.”

In the attack on Trump...is collateral damage to others acceptable?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  cms5 @1    5 years ago

What attack on Rump?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  cms5 @1    5 years ago

The Dems are famous for never letting a crisis or a tragedy go to waste, as long as the can gain some political advantage out of it.

They have a long history of exploiting victims and minorities.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Biden called"

Those …. " OH SHIT ....I better call" after thoughts are fun to watch. It's like watching an earth "Worm" on a hot sidewalk. They just squirm and squirm and squirm ! jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

It was not an after thought. It's in the seeded article.

and (Biden) told her he didn’t reach out initially because he didn’t know how that would make her feel.

Interpretation?  He didn't want Ms Bro to tell him not to mention the death, so he intended to call her afterwards, regardless of whether she approved or not, imho.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @2.1    5 years ago
It was not an after thought.

Did YOU not read the article ?

"(Biden) told her he didn’t reach out initially because he didn’t know how that would make her feel."

Sooooooo ...… He said it anyway !jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago

I'm glad we agree..........jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    5 years ago
I'm glad we agree..

Comment 2.1 -  "It was not an after thought."

Sure ! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.3    5 years ago

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

cms5
Freshman Quiet
2.2  seeder  cms5  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago
...he didn’t reach out initially because he didn’t know how that would make her feel.

I just can't stop shaking my head. There are hundreds of others who have been affected or injured by the events that day that also deserve some consideration. It's all about attacking Trump.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  cms5 @2.2    5 years ago
There are hundreds of others who have been affected or injured by the events that day that also deserve some consideration. It's all about attacking Trump.

EXACTLY !

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Wonder if he told her the "drunk driver" story?

cms5
Freshman Quiet
3.1  seeder  cms5  replied to  1stwarrior @3    5 years ago
Bro said that for most of the call they spoke about bereavement, a subject Biden is intimately familiar with after losing his first wife and daughter in a car accident and more recently his son to cancer.

Of course he did...after all, isn't it all about Biden?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

[delete

cms5
Freshman Quiet
5.2  seeder  cms5  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Let's see...Trump responds to Omar comment 'somebody did something' with 9/11 images - that was disgusting.

Biden creates campaign video using the incident in Charlottesville as a prop - "I don't see the point".

Here's another article on the point:

Biden’s campaign is framing the “Unite the Right” protests and counterprotests in Charlottesville ― and President Donald Trump’s infamous remark claiming there were “very fine people on both sides” ― as a historic aberration from American ideals and norms, a moment Biden must run for the nation’s highest office in order to fix. But for the activists who live there, Charlottesville is a still-traumatized city, one that is still trying to heal from historic racial injustices, and one Biden hasn’t visited since that deadly weekend 20 months ago.
“We’ve struggled to heal from that trauma. The trauma from August of 2017 still isn’t over for many of us. There’s been trials, there’s been constant reminders,” said the Rev. Seth Wispelwey, an activist and Charlottesville native who was attacked by white supremacists when he linked arms with other clergymen in one episode from the violent weekend. “For a presidential candidate like Joe Biden who has a disturbing legislative and policy history on race dating back to the 1970s to cite Charlottesville as a reason to launch his campaign is unwelcome.”

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Yes there is. That's the reason for your snarky comment.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Biden's 2020 campaign rollout video was the most depressing, dismal I've ever seen. He employed:

• racism
  • identity politics
  • anti-Trump rhetoric

along with saying that he wants to take America back to what it WAS -----> the Obama years of high unemployment, low wage/economic growth, racial unrest/violence (Ferguson, Baltimore), etc.   

He's got to do better than this, because he's running against radicals who use the same talking points and MORE, and AOC is already taking pot shots at him.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    5 years ago

“Taking America back  to what it was” sure sounds a lot like “make America great again.”

Doing anything but denouncing America as evil probably won’t play well with the social justice warriors who call the shots on the left now.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    5 years ago
and AOC is already taking pot shots at him.

Uh, oh...he's doomed!