Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  34 comments

Rashida Tlaib slammed by House GOP over comments on Holocaust, Palestinians

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rashida Tlaib slammed by House GOP over comments on Holocaust, Palestinians

MAY 13, 2019

694940094001_6036037782001_6036033606001
Rep. Rashida Tlaib slammed by House GOP over comments on Holocaust

House Republican leaders called on House Speaker   Nancy Pelosi , D-Calif., to "take action" against Rep. , D-Mich., Sunday after Tlaib said that thinking about the Holocaust gave her "kind of a calming feeling" in part because in its aftermath, the Palestinians helped create "a safe haven for Jews."

Tlaib, the first Palestinian-American woman to be elected to Congress, made the comments while discussing the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians during an appearance on the Yahoo News podcast "Skullduggery."

"There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people's passports," Tlaib said on the   podcast's most recent episode , published Friday. "And, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And, I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right, in many ways, but they did it in a way that took their human dignity away and it was forced on them."

694940094001_6015232465001_6015230095001
Tlaib says ‘Islamophobia’ among Dems may be why Omar was criticized by own party

Many Jewish refugees migrated to areas now considered parts of the Palestinian territories after the Holocaust, although historians have pointed out that modern migration to the region had started decades earlier.

"There is no justification for the twisted and disgusting comments made by Rashida Tlaib just days after the annual Day of Holocaust Remembrance," House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., said in a statement. "More than six million Jews were murdered during the Holocaust; there is nothing 'calming' about that fact.

"Unfortunately, this is far from the first display of heinous anti-Semitic comments coming from Democrat House members this year, and it’s clear this is now the norm for their caucus," Scalise added. "It’s long past time for Speaker Pelosi to take swift action and make it clear that these vile comments have no place in Congress."

House Republican Conference Chair Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., said Tlaib's comments were "sickening" and called on Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., "to finally take action against Representative Tlaib and other members of the Democratic caucus who are spreading vile anti-Semitism."

"All of us, regardless of party, must stand as Americans against the evil of anti-Semitism," added Cheney, the third-ranking Republican member of the House. "If the Democratic leadership continues to stand by in silence, they are enabling the spread of evil. History teaches us that anti-Semitism begins with words and becomes something far worse. Speaker Pelosi and Leader Hoyer must act now."

Late Sunday, Tlaib   tweeted:   "Policing my words, twisting & turning them to ignite vile attacks on me will not work. All of you who are trying to silence me will fail miserably. I will never allow you to take my words out of context to push your racist and hateful agenda. The truth will always win."

"Once again, Republican leaders and right-wing extremists are spreading outright lies to incite hate," Tlaib spokesman Denzel McCampbell said in a statement Sunday night. "Congresswoman Liz Cheney should be ashamed of herself for using the tragedy of the Holocaust in a transparent attempt to score political points. Her behavior cheapens our public discourse and is an insult to the Jewish community and the millions of Americans who stand opposed to the hatred being spread by Donald Trump’s Republican party."

McCampbell added that Tlaib "did not in any way praise the Holocaust, nor did she say the Holocaust itself brought a calming feeling to her. In fact, she repeatedly called the Holocaust a tragedy and a horrific persecution of Jewish people. Again, this behavior by a bankrupt Republican leadership is dangerous and only increases hateful rhetoric from those who want to cause harm to oppressed people. The Republican party has reached a new low."

Tlaib, along with Rep.   Ilhan Omar , D-Minn., has become a lightning rod for critics who have accused her of promoting anti-Semitic activists and rhetoric. Last month, the   Zionist Organization of America   called for the Democrats to expel Tlaib and pull her committee assignments over her "anti-Israel record" and her alleged association with "terrorists, anti-Semites and conspiracy theorists."

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

This is EXACTLY, the commnt by Talib that the Right wing is calling anti-semitic. 

"There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people's passports. And, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And, I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right, in many ways, but they did it in a way that took their human dignity away and it was forced on them."

In the comment where she is supposedly belittling the Holocaust she says it was a tragedy. 

Liz Cheney truncated the comment to this 

"There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust."

Here is the proof that Cheney truncated the comment. Here is in a Cheney tweet

“Here’s @RepRashida direct quote, ‘There’s a calming feeling I always tell folks when I think of the Holocaust.’ 

Do you see the period at the end of Cheneys sentence? 

Trump also repeated Cheney's slander. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

The problem, John, is that Tlaib seems to me making some kind of moral equivalency between the holocaust and whatever you think the Palestinians went through via their history with Israel.

That is indefensible and democrats are fine with it!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    5 years ago
The problem, John, is that Tlaib seems to me making some kind of moral equivalency between the holocaust and whatever you think the Palestinians went through via their history with Israel.That is indefensible and democrats are fine with it!

Not really. I thought it was more like she would like it recognized that some Palestinians accepted Israel and now she wishes they would all just have peace.

In either case her comment is not anti-semitic.

BTW, are you in favor of Liz Cheney blatantly misrepresenting Talib's remarks?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago

I'm not in favor with what Liz Cheney did. She did what so many politicians do, she took part of a sentence and used it to try to make her point. That's just wrong no matter who does it.

But I think you are being way to generous with the comment by Tlaib. If she truly meant it how to describe then she did an absolutely terrible way to explain it. And IMO she double-downed on it when she attacked back rather than explain what she meant. But then, IMO her entire comment seems to be an attempt to try to rewrite history. The way she tried to explain how (even allowing for some) Palestinians accepted Israel and had no problems giving up what they had ,  it does not seem to match up with the British histories of the same time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.2    5 years ago

She has a point of view. I think she is somewhat misrepresenting the history, but that doesnt necessarily make her anti-semitic either.

The Palestinians have a right to tell their story, if it is all wrong that can be pointed out as well.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago
I thought it was more like she would like it recognized that some Palestinians accepted Israel and now she wishes they would all just have peace.

You really got that from what she said?

In either case her comment is not anti-semitic.

Oh yes, she IS a Jew hater!

BTW, are you in favor of Liz Cheney blatantly misrepresenting Talib's remarks?

Liz Cheney was spot-on, as she usually is.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    5 years ago
Liz Cheney was spot-on, as she usually is.

Liz Cheney essentially lied, by clipping off Talibs comment mid sentence and putting a period after the new "sentence".  Maybe you are so used to accepting Trump's constant lies that you are losing some ability to tell the difference.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1.1.6  cms5  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    5 years ago
I think she is somewhat misrepresenting the history, but that doesnt necessarily make her anti-semitic either.

I agree that what she said wasn't necessarily anti-Semitic...it was, however, more than a 'misrepresentation of history'.

The Palestinian leader Grand Mufti Haj Amin el Husseini was actually an ally of Adolph Hitler and met with the dictator in 1941 .

The Arabs were Germany’s natural friends because they had the same enemies as had Germany, namely the English, the Jews and the Communists. Therefore they were prepared to cooperate with Germany with all their hearts and stood ready to participate in the war, not only negatively by the commission of acts of sabotage and the instigation of revolutions, but also positively by the formation of an Arab Legion.

This isn't creating a 'safe haven for Jews'. Hitler's loss was their loss.

She really needs to clarify her statements...because she cannot re-write history to calm her feelings.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    5 years ago
Liz Cheney essentially lied, by clipping off Talibs comment mid sentence and putting a period after the new "sentence". 

Now all of a sudden you are concerned about context. The opposite of what you do with the words of the President. Didn't I correct you on that famous misquote about Trump supposedly asking the Russians to hack Hillary's e-mails?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  cms5 @1.1.6    5 years ago
This isn't creating a 'safe haven for Jews'. Hitler's loss was their loss.

The safe haven for the Jews was only realized after the war.  When Talib defends Grand Mufti Haj Amin el Husseini notify me. I will condemn her for that as well.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1.1.9  cms5  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.8    5 years ago
The safe haven for the Jews was only realized after the war. 

Yet I can find no information about the 'safe haven for Jews' online ....

The British authorities, while they were still in charge of the “Mandate for Palestine,” sided with Arab demands and placed significant restrictions on Jewish emigration from post-War Europe to the Holy Land. Refugee ships were turned back. Some Jews trying to enter the historic Jewish homeland were placed in internment camps. Haj Amin al-Husseini was anointed by the Arab League as the leader of the Palestinian Arabs, although he remained outside of the territory to avoid capture. Al-Husseini brooked no dissent from his extreme anti-Jewish position. On November 23, 1946, Fauzi Darwish el-Husseini, a relative of Haj Amin al-Husseini but an opponent of his who had sought reconciliation with Jews in the Holy Land, was assassinated.
....Abd al-Qadir al-Husseini soon took command of the Army of Holy War, which launched several military operations against Jewish forces in Jerusalem. These attacks included blowing up the Jewish Agency headquarters in Jerusalem, killing 12 and injuring 86 Jewish civilians. They occurred after the United Nations General Assembly had recommended in November 1947 a partition of the land inhabited by Jews and Palestinian Arabs. Jews accepted the UN proposal. The Palestinians and their supporters in neighboring Arab nations rejected it. In April 1948, Abd al-Qadir al-Husseini was killed during a battle and was lionized as a hero by many in the Arab world. When Israel declared its independence in May 1948, Palestinians, joined by armies of their neighboring Arab countries, launched a war against the Jews. This apparently is Rep. Tlaib's perverted notion of her ancestors' efforts "to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust."

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Cheney took her out of context. Of course, it's funny to watch the same people who continue to falsely claim Trump called white supremacists "very fine people" get upet about it.

The out of context snippet aside, her's statement is still horribly inaccurate. It's the equivalent of David Duke saying his southern ancestors were just trying to create a haven for black people in the South.  Her ancestors were Nazi collaborators who pushed Hitler to slaughter the Jews in the Middle East. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    5 years ago
Her ancestors were Nazi collaborators

And you know this how? Is she a descendant of one of the Palestinians who admired Hitler?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    5 years ago

She's speaking in the collective John. She's tried to take credit for the acts of the Palestinian people as a whole. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

Nancy P says....give her some slack ! She (Talib) ...… Nows not what she does. "Ignorance is Bliss" ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

After all, the Palestinian Arabs didn't know what they were doing when the Mufti types sided with the engineers of the Holocaust ...….

…… the NAZI's ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

if the NAZI's screwed them, oh fucking well. They sided with the wrong fucking side ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

Liz Cheney fraudulently took Talib's words out of context. She is following in her disgraced daddy's footsteps. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
Liz Cheney fraudulently took Talib's words out of context.

What was Talib's "Context" again ?

Ya know ……. What she REALLY meant ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

You can do it. That's the "Liberal" go to every time one of their own Fucks up !

WHAT

WAS

HER

ACTUAL

CONTEXT

/

MEANING

?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago

I'm not answering any more such questions. The main tactic of the right on this site is to ask "questions" which are either obvious, or have already been answered.  This is the so-called "sealioning" activity. The rest of us should all boycott you guys. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    5 years ago
I'm not answering any more such questions.

Answering just the One would be nice anyway. jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.3    5 years ago

Her context is inherent within her statement. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    5 years ago

[Removed, see topic in Meta on Sea lioning]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.5    5 years ago

[Removed]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.6    5 years ago

[Removed]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.5    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.9    5 years ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.10    5 years ago

deleted for context             I dont like trolling on my articles.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.11    5 years ago

I commented on the article itself with true statements. You made the choice to confront me on my comment about the "Article", as if you actually wrote it and you were protecting your baby, although with a ludicrous statement about Liz Cheney being some kinda fraud.

Funny thing....

Fraud and Talib seem to go together ........... much better.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.12    5 years ago
although with a ludicrous statement about Liz Cheney being some kinda fraud.

Cheney blatantly mis-stated Talib's comment. And yes, adding a period in the middle of Talib's sentence is a falsehood. The period changes the meaning of the words.

So there is nothing "ludicrous" about saying Cheney lied.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.13    5 years ago
Cheney blatantly mis-stated Talib's comment.

In whose eyes ?

"There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people's passports," Tlaib said on the podcast's most recent episode, published Friday. "And, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews,"

During the Holocaust, Palestinian Arabs were Nazi Sympathizers. I guess that FACT about her ancestors still gives her a calm feeling ?

like I said, if the Nazi Screwed her sympathizing ancestors, after the fact, they weren't alone, and her beef is a ludicrous "Feeling" if she thinks Palestinian Arabs helped Jews. Hell, today, Palestinians aren't wanted by anyone, even other Arabs. How much help those other Arab countries are for Palestinians huh ?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.15  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.14    5 years ago
Cheney blatantly mis-stated Talib's comment. In whose eyes ?

In the eyes of people who understand that you are not supposed to take someone else's words and rearrange the sentence structure.

We're done.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

In 1948, Palestinians lost land. But not to Israel. - The Washington Post

May 25, 2018 - Palestinians take cover from Israeli tear gas during clashes near the ... of the date on which Palestinians “lost their land when the Israeli state was ... That is partially true: In the 1948 Israeli War of Independence , the Palestinians did in fact ... left out was that the Palestinians lost the West Bank not to Israel but ...
Ms. Tlaib may want to brush up on her history.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I don't think she is talking about the West Bank, or the aftermath of the 1948 war. She is talking about the original partition plan which displaced some Palestinians. 

Why not comment on the point of the seed? 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.1  luther28  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

I thought I had, but okay.

Do I find her remark anti Semitic, no just thoughtless and ill timed.

Perhaps we would be better served if all of our Representatives concentrated on our troubles of which we have our own fair share.

After a thousand years or so we should have figured out by now that the only thing that will cure the Middle East, is the Middle East. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  luther28 @4.1    5 years ago

I have to agree with you, luther. I didn't find the comment anti-Semitic but rather a misrepresentation of history, which is not a shock, since this what the BDS movement does. 

And I agree that we should be talking about our troubles of which we have our own fair share.

But it does seem that some of our new reps that came to office came with their own agendas and not necessarily what their constituents wanted.