╌>

President Trump approval rating down as Joe Biden leads 2020 Democratic field, Quinnipiac Poll finds

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  45 comments

President Trump approval rating down as Joe Biden leads 2020 Democratic field, Quinnipiac Poll finds
His base still holds strong, the poll found, with 76 percent of Republicans saying they will “definitely” vote for Trump. Three percent of Democrats and 21 percent of independent voters reportedly also said they would “definitely” vote for the incumbent.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“President Trump begins his reelection campaign in a deep hole as 54 percent of American voters say they 'definitely’ will not vote for him, compared to 52 percent in an April 30 Quinnipiac University National Poll,” the report reads.

Today 7:34 AM

President Donald Trump pumps his fist to the crowd after speaking to a campaign rally in Montoursville, Pa. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci) AP

By Kristin LaFratta

With more than a year until the 2020 presidential election and a growing, crowded field of Democratic contenders, pollsters are already examining who American voters plan to choose as their next president.

Quinnipiac University   released its latest poll   on Tuesday, which found that while the majority of Americans believe the economy is stronger than it’s been in nearly two decades, voters gave President Donald Trump “mixed grades” when it comes to his job approval.

The poll found that a combined 71 percent of American voters rated the economy as “good” and “excellent,” the highest total number of positive views on the economy in 18 years.

Yet the poll found that the majority of voters, as of May 2019, will not vote for Trump come November 2020. In a methodology report, authors said 29 percent of voters polled identified as Republican, while 32 percent identified as Democrat and 30 percent Independent.

“President Trump begins his reelection campaign in a deep hole as 54 percent of American voters say they 'definitely’ will not vote for him, compared to 52 percent in an April 30 Quinnipiac University National Poll,” the report reads.

According to the poll authors, the president has most recently received blowback for his actions on foreign policy.

Drawing on a sample of 1,078 self-identified registered voters in a telephone survey, the poll results found that voters gave a 39 to 53 percent disapproval rating for how Trump has handled trade, a 40 to 50 percent disproval rating for how he has handled policy toward China, and a 37 to 47 percent disproval rating for the nation’s policy toward Iran.

His base still holds strong, the poll found, with 76 percent of Republicans saying they will “definitely” vote for Trump. Three percent of Democrats and 21 percent of independent voters reportedly also said they would “definitely” vote for the incumbent.

“The nation’s economy is pretty darn good and President Donald Trump’s approval numbers are pretty darn awful,” Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll, said in a statement on the poll. "So what to make of the good news, bad news mashup and how to correct it? For the moment, the disparity leaves the president on shaky re-election ground.”

Meanwhile, the poll found that former Vice President Joe Biden remains the most favorable Democratic candidate among voters, with a 49-39 percent favorability rating. He is trailed by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, with a 41 to 48 percent favorability rating, and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, with a 32 to 41 percent favorability rating.

Behind them in favorability are California Sen. Kamala Harris, former Texas U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Hopefully Trump will double and triple down on doing the things that have got him in this hole. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Perhaps part of Trump's problem is the lousy people he picked to hold high government offices. Trump's Head of The Department of Housing and Urban Development does not even know the difference between repossessed bank owned real estate and an Oreo Cookie...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JBB @1.1    5 years ago

He did send a box of Oreo cookies to the congresswoman who was questioning him though. He's a nice guy. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @1.1    5 years ago
Trump's Head of The Department of Housing and Urban Development does not even know the difference between repossessed bank owned real estate and an Oreo Cookie...

I saw part of that testimony, and after watching I have just 1 question.  Does Ben Carson live in a state where Marijuana is legal for recreational use?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  JBB @1.1    5 years ago

Let's not forget his pick for Secretary of Education. It doesn't get much worse than that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
American voters give President Donald Trump a negative 38 - 57 percent approval rating, compared to a negative 41 - 55 percent approval in a May 2 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University National Poll.

Almost twice as many people think the economy is good as think Trump is a good president.  (71% economy is good or excellent, 38 % Trump is a good president.) 

He needs to look in the fucking mirror. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

Trump's National Campaign Chairman is in prison for among other things lying about being a Russian Agent and Trump's first National Security Adviser was a damn paid Russian Agent. Robert Mueller spelled out over a hundred highly inappropriate contacts between Team Trump and Russian State Intelligence Services and a dozen attempts by Trump to obstruct the investigations. If it was anyone else Trump's numbnut base would be up in arms. Literally...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @2.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  JBB  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago

You get only facts from me. If you cannot prove otherwise just admit it...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @2.1.2    5 years ago
You get only facts from me.

And here I thought "Opinion" wasn't fact.....it was just "Opinion" ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Who knew ! jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

The Mueller report must-of really burst your "Fact" bubble huh ?

No actual "Guilt" of anything was mentioned at all !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    5 years ago

Did I do the "Sealion" thingy by questioning a "Stupid" opinionated comment to harshly Again ? jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @2.1    5 years ago

ou get only facts

Facts like 2+2=50302?   Declarative sentences with made up information are not facts.

in prison for among other things lying about being a Russian Agent and Trump's first National Security Adviser was a damn paid Russian Agent.

Why do you post  things that are blatantly false? 

Robert Mueller spelled out over a hundred highly inappropriate contacts between Team Trump and Russian State Intelligence Services

Why do you post things that are blatantly false?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JBB @2.1.2    5 years ago

[ deleted ]

Anything that may support a conservative viewpoint just has to be wrong to you and others who share your views....jrSmiley_46_smiley_image.gif

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

How anybody can possibly think that Trump is a good president ruins my faith in mankind.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  cjcold @2.2    5 years ago

I hear ya. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    5 years ago

Still relying on polls? Some will never learn.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @3    5 years ago
Still relying on polls? Some will never learn.

Election Day 2020 is 530 days from today, but "polls" are projecting another Democrat winner. I love it! 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4  livefreeordie    5 years ago

It will be amusing to hear and read the new whining of the left when President Trump is re-elected in a landslide victory

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1  cjcold  replied to  livefreeordie @4    5 years ago

Pretty sure that even republicans will be voting against him no matter the dem running against him.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  cjcold @4.1    5 years ago

There is no good or logical reason to vote against Trump.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  livefreeordie @4    5 years ago

It will be amusing to hear and read the new whining of the left when President Trump is re-elected in a landslide victory

He couldn't even win enough people's votes during the last election.  Are you actually implying that he might actually win the popular vote during the next one?  What do you base your belief on?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    5 years ago

Thank God for the Electoral College....jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.1    5 years ago
Thank God for the Electoral College

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” 10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.” - Matthew 4:8-10

According to the bible, who is the 'god' of this world able to grant rulers the right to rule? If any spirit being is responsible for Trump becoming President it obviously despises mankind and wishes us eternal suffering.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2.2    5 years ago

The USA is governed by the US Constitution, not by biblical verses and spirits. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    5 years ago
He couldn't even win enough people's votes during the last election. 

As you and everyone knows, winning the requisite EC votes is all that matters in a presidential election, and Trump surpassed what was needed. Someone's "popularity" is more appropriate for high school contests that are memorialized in yearbooks.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.3    5 years ago

I wasn't refuting that. [delelted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.3    5 years ago

Then explain the right's opposition to abortion.  Non-biblically.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.4    5 years ago
As you and everyone knows, winning the requisite EC votes is all that matters in a presidential election, and Trump surpassed what was needed.

Which has nothing to do with my comment.  Please read the original comment, then my reply to see how it relates.  THEN reply to the subject.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.6    5 years ago
Then explain the right's opposition to abortion.  Non-biblically.

No way. Doing so would be highly off topic.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.9  Jasper2529  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2.7    5 years ago
Which has nothing to do with my comment. 

Yes, it did. In comment 4.2 you said ...

He couldn't even win enough people's votes during the last election .  Are you actually implying that he might actually win the popular vote during the next one? 

A presidential candidate doesn't win the presidency via "popular vote".

It's now time to accept the past and discuss the topic of this seed. Good-bye.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.10  Ozzwald  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.9    5 years ago
A presidential candidate doesn't win the presidency via "popular vote". It's now time to accept the past and discuss the topic of this seed. Good-bye.

I see you never bothered looking at the original comment that I replied to.  At no point was the electoral college mentioned or implied.  We were only talking about a supposed "landslide victory" that the original commenter made.

So, once again, if you are not going to discuss the topic at hand, why are you bothering to butt in?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.8    5 years ago

No way. Doing so would be highly off topic.

Which would make your original reply off-topic as well.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.12  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @4.2    5 years ago
Are you actually implying that he might actually win the popular vote during the next one?  What do you base your belief on?

He will certainly win the electoral vote, and probably win the popular vote too.

Do you really think the electorate is really happy with childish actions of the Democrats? They have lost all interest in being a viable political party that cares about the American people. Their only focus is on getting rid of Trump, and it's not working and bound to fail.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2.5    5 years ago

Problem with some lefties is that they take everything literally and do not recognize sarcasm. I was not quoting God as a believer so much as turning a phrase..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2.2    5 years ago
According to the bible, who is the 'god' of this world able to grant rulers the right to rule? If any spirit being is responsible for Trump becoming President it obviously despises mankind and wishes us eternal suffering.

No hyperbole there, right?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.15  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2.2    5 years ago

No, only the progressive liberal left...jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.16  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.12    5 years ago
He will certainly win the electoral vote, and probably win the popular vote too.

And you base your opinion on....?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    5 years ago

Might not want to trust the poll in this article

Just sayin ......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

More good news

A new poll finds that the majority of voters surveyed said they think President Trump does not deserve a second term. The survey from the  Monmouth University Polling Institute  found that 60 percent of respondents said it’s time to have someone new in the White House, and only 37 percent think Trump should be re-elected. Despite the desire to find a replacement for 2020, a majority of voters, 56 percent, still believe Trump  should not be impeached . The results show the highest percentage of voters saying they’re eager for change since the polling outfit began asking the question in November. Trump’s approval rating is also at the lowest it has been in the past 12 months, with 40 percent positive and 52 percent negative. His approval rating, however, remains high among Republicans, at 86 percent positive. Trump is expected to officially launch his 2020 re-election campaign in the coming weeks.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

Not to rain on your parade, but didn't virtually every single poll in 2016 have Trump losing?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

Keep trying to cheer yourself up sir. But you know in your heart he's going to easily win reelection.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

They must have only polled progressive leftist liberals and canned any that were not...jrSmiley_50_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    5 years ago

Last week, a Russian polling agency headquartered in Slovenia tallied projected results that the Trump and the republicans will control 410 seats in The Congress and 88 seats in The Senate after the 2020 elections.  The pollsters said there was a plus or minus of 3.5% in accuracy.  Stating that some respondents may have not been truthful.