╌>

Aspiring doctors learn at the zoo in unique medical school program

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  6 comments

Aspiring doctors learn at the zoo in unique medical school program
A unique program at Harvard Medical School sends aspiring doctors of human medicine to Boston’s Franklin Park Zoo, where they learn to treat lemurs, frogs and other animals. The goal: to learn how our worlds interact and improve care for all.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

A new way of doing an old thing. What do you think?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

You can learn a lot from animals. Like patience

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Seems like a good idea.  In addition to patience I imagine it would also teach observation skills (cause animals can't talk)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

When I was in first year premeds I had to dissect an embryo pig - one of the things that turned me off of premeds.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
3  Steve Ott    5 years ago

I have to chuckle when watching this. I grew up farming and ranching. Some 35 or so years go, a vet and I were talking about cattle diseases. There is one known a Bangs disease or Brucellosis. It causes spontaneous abortion in cattle. He told me of a case where one of his fellow vets was in the hospital with a fever that kept going up and down. The Drs in the hospital couldn't determine what was the cause. My friend pointed out that he had been working with cattle that had Bangs disease, in humans, known as undulant fever. The Drs knew then how to treat the patient, but not before a vet told them what the problem was.

This program sounds like a better way of teaching how all life is connected.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

I would say a vet's job is a lot tougher than a MD...The patients of the vet can't tell you whats wrong. 

I see it as a good program in more than one way.