╌>

Rep. Matt Gaetz Goes After 'Prop' John Dean at the Dems' Mueller Show Trial

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  heartland-american  •  5 years ago  •  19 comments

Rep. Matt Gaetz Goes After 'Prop' John Dean at the Dems' Mueller Show Trial
Gaetz then proceeded to ask Mr. Dean how much money he’s made off accusing presidents of being Richard Nixon, in rebutting an objection to that line of questioning. “How much money do you make from CNN?” Gaetz asked. A flustered Dean was unable to provide an answer, but Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler came to his rescue, banging the gavel and objecting to Gaetz line of questioning.” But Gaetz insisted on making his point. “Wait a second, Mr. Dean has made a cottage industry out of...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

On Monday, John Dean, the former Nixon White House counsel, testified at the Judiciary Committee Hearing called "Lessons From The Mueller Report.” Dean has no connection to the Mueller investigation but is a CNN contributor who has written a number of anti-Republican books in recent years and testified during the Watergate hearings. In other words, Dean’s purpose for testifying at the hearing had nothing to do with facts. He’s just the expert on the disgraced President Richard Nixon, who resigned from the presidency for his involvement in the Watergate cover-up.

There was a memorable exchange between Congressman Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and Mr. Dean during the hearing . When Gaetz spoke, he entered into the record a December  2005 essay by John Dean, titled “George W. Bush as the New Richard M. Nixon: Both Wiretapped Illegally, and Impeachably."  Gaetz then asked Mr. Dean, “How many American presidents have you accused of being Richard Nixon?” It was a humorous moment, and Dean responded that he had actually written a book called Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush . Gaetz then proceeded to ask Mr. Dean how much money he’s made off accusing presidents of being Richard Nixon, in rebutting an objection to that line of questioning. “How much money do you make from CNN?” Gaetz asked. A flustered Dean was unable to provide an answer, but Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler came to his rescue, banging the gavel and objecting to Gaetz line of questioning.” But Gaetz insisted on making his point. “Wait a second, Mr. Dean has made a cottage industry out of accusing presidents of acting like Richard Nixon. I would like to know how much money he makes based on making these accusations and exploiting them for his own economic benefit.”

But this is my favorite part of their exchange:

GAETZ: Do you have personal knowledge regarding the truth or falsity of a single material fact in the Mueller Report?

DEAN: I think if you recall the first thing I said I’m not here as a fact witness.

GAETZ: You’re here to provide historical context.

DEAN: Exactly.

GAETZ: And throughout history, you accuse presidents of acting like Richard Nixon and you make money off of it.

DEAN: Not all presidents, no.

GAETZ: But, a few. More than one.

DEAN: Those who do act like him I point it out.

So, John Dean said that he'll point out those who act like Nixon, and cited illegal wiretapping under Bush as Nixonian behavior that was impeachable. Had I had the opportunity to question Mr. Dean—and I would love such an opportunity in light of his testimony today—I’d ask him if he ever accused Barack Obama of being like Richard Nixon for illegal wiretapping by his administration. We know it happened. Documents leaked by Edward Snowden proved that Barack Obama embraced his inner Big Brother during his presidency and expanded surveillance programs that began in the Bush administration into a terrifying domestic surveillance program of massive scope.

In 2013, The Washington Post detailed the program code-named PRISM , under which the NSA and FBI were “extracting audio and video chats, photographs, emails, documents, and connection logs that enable analysts to track foreign targets” from the servers of nine American internet companies, including Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, and Apple. Under Obama, the NSA was also collecting the phone records of millions of Americans. This wasn’t targeted surveillance. This was broad, untargeted surveillance right out of a George Orwell novel.

Despite claiming he points out Nixonian behavior when he sees it, I can’t seem to find any essays or books by John Dean criticizing Obama for his huge expansion of domestic surveillance and I can’t find a single quote from Dean calling for Obama to be impeached for it either. What he did do is say that “The Obama Administration has been tougher on those who leak classified information.” After Snowden exposed Obama’s domestic spying, Dean was more concerned with the leaks than what he previously called impeachable actions.

Dean’s hypocrisy aside, Gaetz held nothing back, and accused Dean of being a Democrat prop. “You are functionally here as a prop. Because [the Democrats] can’t impeach President Trump because 70 percent of Democrats want something that 60 percent of Americans don’t,” Gaetz said. “So they’re in this no-win situation and you sit before us here with no knowledge of a single fact on the Mueller Report on a hearing entitled ‘Lessons from The Mueller Report.’”

John Dean is not an objective expert, he’s an anti-GOP hack and CNN contributor who has basically concluded that being a Republican is an impeachable offense.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

“So, John Dean said that he'll point out those who act like Nixon, and cited illegal wiretapping under Bush as Nixonian behavior that was impeachable. Had I had the opportunity to question Mr. Dean—and I would love such an opportunity in light of his testimony today—I’d ask him if he ever accused Barack Obama of being like Richard Nixon for illegal wiretapping by his administration. We know it happened. Documents leaked by Edward Snowden proved that Barack Obama embraced his inner Big Brother during his presidency and expanded surveillance programs that began in the Bush administration into a terrifying domestic surveillance program of massive scope.

In 2013, The Washington Post detailed the program code-named PRISM, under which the NSA and FBI were “extracting audio and video chats, photographs, emails, documents, and connection logs that enable analysts to track foreign targets” from the servers of nine American internet companies, including Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, and Apple. Under Obama, the NSA was also collecting the phone records of millions of Americans. This wasn’t targeted surveillance. This was broad, untargeted surveillance right out of a George Orwell novel.

Despite claiming he points out Nixonian behavior when he sees it, I can’t seem to find any essays or books by John Dean criticizing Obama for his huge expansion of domestic surveillance and I can’t find a single quote from Dean calling for Obama to be impeached for it either. What he did do is say that“The Obama Administration has been tougher on those who leak classified information.” After Snowden exposed Obama’s domestic spying, Dean was more concerned with the leaks than what he previously called impeachable actions.

Dean’s hypocrisy aside, Gaetz held nothing back, and accused Dean of being a Democrat prop. “You are functionally here as a prop. Because [the Democrats] can’t impeach President Trump because 70 percent of Democrats want something that 60 percent of Americans don’t,” Gaetz said. “So they’re in this no-win situation and you sit before us here with no knowledge of a single fact on the Mueller Report on a hearing entitled ‘Lessons from The Mueller Report.’””

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    5 years ago

Gaetz totally dismantled Dean and took him apart piece by piece.  Other GOP congresspersons were equally effective in discrediting and publicly humiliating him for his hypocrisy.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    5 years ago

Gaetz is in the Trumpian fold.  His only purpose is to protect Trump and deflect anything concerning Russia and the Saudi autocratic theocracy.

Matters not.  Discrediting and humiliating others is everything Trump has done his whole life.  Those who pick up that torch for Trump will in the end, be left holding a worthless charred stick.

What is Trump hiding?  Is it simply dirty money---or---is it something else? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago

Trump has nothing to hide.  He was transparent with the Mueller investigation and there was no collusion and no obstruction.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

Untrue. 

Fine.  Mar. 24, 1945 as the Russian Army was on the outskirts of Berlin, the official Reich Chancellery broadcast for that day stated, "Total victory is days away."

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

And the "Bubble Gum Fairy" will be with you tonight to sweeten your other dreams in La La Land as well. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.3    5 years ago

I don’t live anywhere near Los Angeles La La Land...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.1    5 years ago

Which has what to do with the current situation; other than to try and tie Trump to Nazis in a false analogy?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.5    5 years ago

That’s when TDS persons defy Godwin’s law regarding invoking Hitler and Or nazis and thus losing the argument.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.6    5 years ago

Except it isn't.  And the Trump got another 'love letter' from the N. Korean toad today too.  Like I said, "Except it isn't."

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.4    5 years ago
I don’t live anywhere near Los Angeles La La Land...

Obviously you are not aware that La La Land does not mean Los Angeles. Never has. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.8    5 years ago

LA, as in Lousy Area has always meant Los Angeles, aka La la land the home of fruits and nuts. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    5 years ago

Gaetz is scum and a witness intimidator.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago

“Dean’s hypocrisy aside, Gaetz held nothing back, and accused Dean of being a Democrat prop. “You are functionally here as a prop. Because [the Democrats] can’t impeach President Trump because 70 percent of Democrats want something that 60 percent of Americans don’t,” Gaetz said. “So they’re in this no-win situation and you sit before us here with no knowledge of a single fact on the Mueller Report on a hearing entitled ‘Lessons from The Mueller Report.’”

John Dean is not an objective expert, he’s an anti-GOP hack and CNN contributor who has basically concluded that being a Republican is an impeachable offense.”  From the seed above. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3    5 years ago

Gaetz is an American hero.  

cms5
Freshman Quiet
4  cms5    5 years ago

I am still wondering why the Judiciary Committee thought that John Dean would be of any added value or assistance to their investigation into the Mueller Report. He wasn't a part of Trump's campaign, he's not a part of this Administration. He wasn't a part of the past Administration. He wasn't a part of Hillary's campaign. He didn't work for Fussion GPS. He gave no input to the Steele Dossier. He didn't assist Mueller in his investigation.

His only attributes...he obstructed, lied, served time and profits from comparing some Presidents to Nixon.

If we are going to compare Mueller's findings to Nixon's obstruction and impeachment...John Dean pleaded guilty to OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE...yet, not one person in the Trump Administration was charged with, nor pleaded guilty to obstruction...even while Mueller complains that he can't charge a sitting President.

Gaetz was right...John Dean was there as a prop.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1  bbl-1  replied to  cms5 @4    5 years ago

Actually, the props were Gaetz and 'look the other way' Jordan.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    5 years ago

Still no collusion, still no obstruction.Gaetz and Jordan are 100% right on.