╌>

The Viral Sunburn Tattoo Trend Is Seriously Dangerous—Here’s Why

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  29 comments

The Viral Sunburn Tattoo Trend Is Seriously Dangerous—Here’s Why
Sure it looks like harmless summer fun.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sure it looks like harmless summer fun. But no matter how you spin it, sunburn tattoos are extremely dangerous and can put you at serious risk of skin cancer.

"In order for the stencil, or tattoo, to be apparent, you would have to damage the surrounding tissue enough that it either tans heavily or burns,"  Rachel Nazarian , MD, a New York–based dermatologist and Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology (FAAD), tells  Health.

"Both tanning and burning the skin is detrimental to your health; they're signs that the skin is receiving ultraviolet radiation with mutating potential, which increases your risk of developing skin cancer and accelerates skin aging, meaning more wrinkles, sun spots, and loss of collagen, which causes sagging skin," she continues.

Health  also spoke with  Debra Jaliman , MD, dermatologist and assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, who had a similar take. "Purposefully keeping the area sunscreen-free will do harm to the DNA in your skin cells," Dr. Jaliman says. "Not only will you cause premature skin aging, but you will also be putting yourself at risk for skin cancer."

To  make sure you're properly protected , apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before you're going to be in the sun, and slather it on those less obvious body spots, like your lips, feet, eyelids, and underarms. You should also wear at least SPF 15 and reapply every 80 minutes.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
To get a better idea of what we're talking about, check out the photo below of a man who sunburned the Batman logo onto his chest.

Batman-Feat.jpg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    5 years ago

Seems he went the sdrawkcab ssa Route.

White isn't "IN" these days. jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

We all know....too much sun isn't a good thing, but, it sounds like this is worse ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Ugh.

People just think of more stupid things to do to their bodies. 

Thanks for this article. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    5 years ago
People just think of more stupid things to do to their bodies. 

Back in the time when we didn't know better and didn't even have sunscreen, my sisters and their friends made a mixture of baby lotion and (real) iodine, slather themselves with it, and sit in the sun for hours. Several of them have had bouts of skin cancer.

Why people would do this tattoo thing today and do so much damage to their skin is beyond my comprehension. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1    5 years ago

Ditto here. I would use Ban de sole (which is just fancy grease), and bake, which is really dumb or a light skinned redhead. But that was the thing in the 70's.

Well, I paid for that thing 2 years ago when I got a basal cell carcinoma. I know have a think faint line going down by the side of my nose. 

We know better now. The Ozone is thinner, which means more likelihood of skin damage. 

Maybe people should watch this commercial and see what the sun does to you. This is done with UV light. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    5 years ago
Maybe people should watch this commercial and see what the sun does to you. This is done with UV light. 

Thanks for posting this. In the 1980s, when I still thought I was invincible and didn't need sunscreen, I visited family and friends in Brazil during their summer months. The blisters I got from sunburn broke three times. Result: "freckles" where I never had them before - head, face, chest, and back. Thankfully, all are non-cancerous ... so far.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
Other sunbathers do the inverse and use a stencil to hide some skin from the sun while burning the surrounding area.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

Being naturally red I don't have to sit in the sun. jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

Being naturally Jewish, when it is too cold, I never turn bluish.

Enoch, Enjoying a few of the 72 non-consecutive hours of sunshine here this year.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @5.1    5 years ago

Much like northern Minnesota, summer in upstate NY is a Tuesday afternoon in August. 

Don't blink.jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    5 years ago

LOL!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    5 years ago

You should move to Michigan and enjoy all the seasons in one day.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1.4  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    5 years ago

What Perrie laughed.

E.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1.5  Enoch  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.3    5 years ago

Dear Friend KDMichigan: As we say in upstate NY, "If you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes".

Enoch (Clock Watching).

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.3    5 years ago

This is the weather report by my cuz, Luther Walks the Horse from ND.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Kavika @5.1.6    5 years ago

I hope your cousin Luther uses sunscreen. Even in winter, people of all skin colors should to use it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

I just don't get it. It has become popular to defile ones body. 

I wonder how future generations will look back at this sick society?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    5 years ago
I wonder how future generations will look back at this sick society?

Vic,

This kind of thing has been going on since the Romans ( and probably longer). Every society thinks they have come to the end. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    5 years ago
This kind of thing has been going on since the Romans ( and probably longer).

I don't go back to the Romans, but I'm older than you and most everyone else here and when I was young women didn't have tattoos or body piercing "jewelry".

Every society thinks they have come to the end.

Every civilization has it's peaks and valleys

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.2  katrix  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.1    5 years ago
I'm older than you and most everyone else here and when I was young women didn't have tattoos or body piercing "jewelry".

True, when you were young there was a hiatus for the most part.  That is the exception, though - society has been "sick" per your definition for much of its existence.  Not sure why you get so upset if someone wants a tattoo or body piercing, though.  "Defile" is an odd choice of words.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  katrix @6.1.2    5 years ago

I have an answer, but not on here