╌>

How to pick a good watermelon

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  11 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A flavorless watermelon is a reason for a good cry.

By Robin Shreeves, Mother Nature Network, June 4 2018

cut_watermelon.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.

A ripe, full-of-flavor watermelon is one of summer's joys. (Photo: bondvit/Shutterstock)

Watermelon is the fruit that symbolizes summer the most to me. It conjures memories of childhood summers, when my friends and I would devour huge slices while the sweet juice ran down our chins. I would never buy a watermelon out of season because I know a tasteless one is heartbreaking.

It's now watermelon season, but that's no promise that every one you see at the store or the farmers market will be full of flavor. Here's how to pick a good watermelon.

Spot the field spot

watermelons_field_spot.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg

The color of the spot where the watermelon touched the ground can help indicate ripeness. (Photo: Jiang Hoygan/Shutterstock)

Look for the field spot. That's the spot on a watermelon that touched the ground while it grew. This spot will be a different color than the rest of the watermelon because it didn't get any sun. Its color is a good indication of whether the watermelon is ripe or not. If it's white or pale green, the fruit was picked before it was ripe. If it's a golden, creamy yellow or orange-yellow, the fruit stayed on the vine long enough to get ripe.

Look for shape and blemishes

oval_watermelon.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg

Look for a watermelon that is symmetrical and free of blemishes. (Photo: Jiggo-Putter Studio/Shutterstock)

A good watermelon should be fairly symmetrical, whether it's round or oval. Also, if it the rind has bruises, cuts or dents, don't choose it. Those blemishes can cause the melon to go bad quickly.

Pick it up

carrying_watermelom.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg

It's a good sign if a watermelon feels heavy. (Photo: MsMaria/Shutterstock)

A watermelon should be heavy for its size — which of course will vary depending on the size of the watermelon. If you pick it up, and it seems that it's lighter than it should be, there may be a problem. A watermelon is 92 percent water, according to   Watermelon Board . If it's not heavy, it could be old and starting to lose its moisture  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Although I knew to pick one that was regular shape, no blemishes or cuts, and was heavy, I didn't know about the field spot, so hopefully I'll get really good ones from now on.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Some say before you buy and cut open to inspect inside, knock on the outside to hear if it sounds ripe.

One caution.

If you knock on the outside, and it thumps back from the inside find another melon.

Remember the summer watermelon eating contests they used to have for us when we were kids?

Do they still do that?

Great fun!

Enoch (Spitting seeds and wiping gook off my face).  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @1.1    5 years ago

I used to think that the sound it made when you thumped it was the indication of a good ripe one, but I really had no idea what sound to listen for.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: Me either.

These are the top five sounds you don't want to hear.

1. "Go way. We gave at the office".

2. "You don't have an appointment. Have your people call my people. Come back when you do".

3. "No habla Ingles".

4. "As is my constitutional right, I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to consume me".

5."I am not now, nor have I ever been a cucumber"!  

Enoch, Not Granting Interviews to the Agricultural Media.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1.3  katrix  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago
I really had no idea what sound to listen for.

A loud scream.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @1.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    5 years ago

Thank you Buzz, I'll never pick a lousy watermelon again. I did not know about the field spot either.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3  katrix    5 years ago

Winter squash and other melons are the same way. 

I love watermelon.  Watermelon and vine ripe tomatoes are some of the best parts of summer!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1  Enoch  replied to  katrix @3    5 years ago

Dear Friend Katrix: I so agree.

Year around Mrs. E. and I enjoy a mostly plant based diet.

We live in an area where the growing season is comparatively short.

Late spring, summer and into fall before the first frost are times when the best of upstate produce springs forth from the ground trees and vines.

The Good Earth.

What is your favorite season fruit? Vegetable? Legume?

Enoch, Enjoying the bounty of warmer times.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    5 years ago

I've found that the those mini-watermelons sometimes lack sweetness and flavor. They seem ripe enough, but perhaps they have been picked too long ago.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    5 years ago

Yesterday, I bought a quarter slice of watermelon at the store, was as good as it looked