╌>

'Tanks' a lot: Trump 4th of July celebration isn't first time armored vehicles have rumbled into Washington

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  5 years ago  •  104 comments

'Tanks' a lot: Trump 4th of July celebration isn't first time armored vehicles have rumbled into Washington
The U.S. tradition of military parades dates back to the Civil War era.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tanks rumbled down Pennsylvania Avenue for Dwight Eisenhower's inaugural parade in 1953. John F. Kennedy deployed them eight years later – as well as missiles. Even a 1939 visit by England's King George VI prompted a splashy display of armored hardware rolling through the nation's capital.

President Donald Trump's demand that   tanks be part of his "Salute to America"   on the National Mall Thursday to celebrate the 4th of July has prompted critics, including Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg, to call it a jingoistic display befitting a despot.

But tanks have long been a part of national moments of celebration in Washington, although mainly associated with presidential inaugurations and military victory parades.

The last ones thundered through the nation's capital in 1991 when the nation commemorated victories over Iraq.

Here are several occasions where tanks were part of a celebration in the nation's capital:

Royal welcome

On June 8, 1939, Washington and   President Franklin D. Roosevelt held a welcoming parade   for King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. Their procession was led by a small group of tanks.

43065930-c8ac-4f51-b672-3a29d040a081-AP_

First and second Eisenhower inaugurals

9aa92f36-6554-485a-a7a3-043f7fcac72e-AP_

JFK inauguration

9cda3c13-0eff-4ade-a31e-13202f587884-AP_

Read more in the article.

Article is LOCKED by moderator [smarty_function_ntUser_get_name: user_id or profile_id parameter required]
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
The U.S. tradition of military parades dates back to the Civil War era. USA TODAY

USA Today video in article.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago
The last time tanks showed up in Washington was in June 1991 when tanks and other weapons were featured in a celebration of the U.S. armed forces' victory over Iraq in the operation known as Desert Storm.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

I myself do not feel they are needed, but with all the other zaniness going on around us I really do not care that much.

More displeasure over Mr. Trump hijacking the event I believe, the tanks just added fuel to it.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Some Democrat candidates have been in full-blown speculation mode in order to score political points. Funny stuff!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Some woman is being interviewed from the rally site and she says everything Trump says is wonderful and this show is only to "unite the country". That is how dense these people are. Trump's approval in the latest Gallup poll is 41%, basically where it has been for 2 1/2 years. Thats all there is folks. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Thanks for dropping another opinion comment, John.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.2  bugsy  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2    5 years ago

Thanks for dropping another opinion comment, John.

There seems to be alot of them, but they don't mean squat.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  bugsy @5.2.2    5 years ago

IMO, the only time opinions have worth is when they're supported by unbiased facts.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.4  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.3    5 years ago
IMO, the only time opinions have worth is when they're supported by unbiased facts.

Please support your opinion with unbiased facts. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.3    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.6  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Dulay @5.2.4    5 years ago
Please support your opinion with unbiased facts. 

With pleasure.

It is important to distinguish between fact and opinion because a fact is a truth based on evidence, while an opinion is a view that is not based on checkable evidence.   People use facts to create their own opinions about a certain topic. Opinions can carry a bias and may be judged by who is giving them.

Time to discuss the seeded topic and not derail another of my seeds, dulay. Only warning.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.6    5 years ago

Your definition is incomplete. 

Someone might have the opinion that Miley Cyrus is a beautiful woman.  The opinion is not "worthless" just because it can't be objectively proven true.  The opinion might cause someone to take a second look at Miley Cyrus, and that person change their opinion  or form one about Miley Cyrus. And so on. 

Change Miley Cyrus looks to some politicians behavior and you can see that opinions are not always worthless if they are not supported by provable fact. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.8  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.6    5 years ago
Time to discuss the seeded topic and not derail another of my seeds, dulay. Only warning.

My question is a direct reply to YOUR comment. Hardly a derail, especially since you've posted multiple comments dismissing the worth of other member's opinions. 

As for your reply, it's an utter fail.

Nowhere does it state WHY you think that:

the only time opinions have worth is when they're supported by unbiased facts.

In fact your link actually cites the 'worth' of opinions, above and beyond 'unbiased facts':

Journalists will often use a mix of facts and people's opinions when covering a story. Readers can use the facts to learn more about the story and can use the opinions to spark the formation of their own opinion. Customers also use a combination of facts and opinions when choosing items. For example, someone searching for a vegetarian restaurant will need to know if a location is vegetarian, but may also use reviews from other customers to decide whether to make a reservation.

Your link refutes your own posit. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.9  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Dulay @5.2.8    5 years ago

IMPASSE.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.10  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.7    5 years ago

IMPASSE.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.4  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago
this show is only to "unite the country". That is how dense these people are

So you think a 4th of July parade somehow divides the country? I'd say that's by your choice, not by anything the parade does.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @5.4    5 years ago
So you think a 4th of July parade somehow divides the country? I'd say that's by your choice, not by anything the parade does.

In this day and age, of course the whole premise of any July 4th celebration is divisive.

You have to remember, this is our reality now. The original flag is now something upsetting to some. Who would have thought that even 20 years ago?

I don't remember anyone getting upset during the bicentennial when those flags were seemingly everywhere. Now, it is an issue to America-hating cupcakes.

Very sad.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.4.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.1    5 years ago
You have to remember, this is our reality now.

Indeed.

The original flag is now something upsetting to some. Who would have thought that even 20 years ago?

The Betsy Ross flag was prominent during Obama's inaugurations but wasn't an issue. Imagine that. I wonder why Nike and MSM never asked Kap about that.

I don't remember anyone getting upset during the bicentennial when those flags were seemingly everywhere. Now, it is an issue to America-hating cupcakes. Very sad.

I remember our Bicentennial celebrations very well. No one freaked out over US flags, parades, and military tanks.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.4.3  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.1    5 years ago
In this day and age, of course the whole premise of any July 4th celebration is divisive.

Gee, I wonder what's changed since last year, or the year before that?

Got any idea Tex? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.4  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @5.4.3    5 years ago
Gee, I wonder what's changed since last year, or the year before that?
Got any idea Tex?

For starters, the vitriol from some on the left has intensified and become intolerable.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.4.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.4    5 years ago
For starters, the vitriol from some on the left has intensified and become intolerable.

Au contraire. The vitriol was at it's height the first half of 2017 yet Trump seemed to manage to keep his ass off of the National Mall during the 2017 4th of July celebration. Of course, that was before Trump had the tingle go up his leg when he saw the pomp of Bastille Day. Then he just HAD to have him a Military somethin', somethin' in DC. But to his pouty despair, not even his minions could figure out how to justify the millions of dollars it would cost up front and the damage that tanks rumbling down Pennsylvania Ave. would cause. 

As for it being 'intolerable' now, that's laughable. What would Trump play off of if not for criticism from the left? His own party are too timid to make a peep, except for Amash. Of course, then the GOP shunned him...

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
5.5  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

She was reflecting the pride millions of we Americans feel towards our country and our president.

and you chose the outlier poll. Trump’s realclearpolitics ave is 44%. Higher than Obama was at the same point (Obama was at 38%)

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.5.1  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @5.5    5 years ago
Higher than Obama was at the same point (Obama was at 38%)

False.

July 3rd, 2012, Obama's approval rating was 47.7. 

In fact, Obama's LOWEST approval rating was 40.1. 

Repent. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
6  bugsy    5 years ago

We all know that if it were Obama that did the same exact thing as Trump, the loon left would be out in droves expressing their love and admiration of how their messiah would want to showcase our military, and would criticize every previous President for not having done the same.

Unfortunately, Obama hates/hated our military, so he would have never have done such a thing. Besides, he decimated the military by cutting it to the point where deploying ships and units had to borrow from those that are not deploying, or had just returned.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    5 years ago

You know, a couple tanks and a couple Bradleys is not a show of force. There is no threat of a military parade. Either there wasnt enough time or the Pentagon didnt want to cooperate. If it was up to Trump there would have been 100 tanks. 

Its not the number of tanks or lack of number of tanks. The whole thing is a tv show to praise Trump.  We already have a perfectly good 4th of July celebration at that same national mall. Trump doesnt like that one because they wont let him come there and preen. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago

Thank you for making another opinion comment that's not supported by facts.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.1    5 years ago

[Removed

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago

And Trump's approval ratings are close to 50% and climbing.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.2.1  pat wilson  replied to  Greg Jones @7.2    5 years ago

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Donald Trump's job approval rating, which has been fluctuating between 40% and 43% since early May, was 41% in the second half of June, and includes 29% who strongly approve. Fifty-four percent of Americans disapprove of the president's performance, including 44% who do so strongly.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.2.2  bugsy  replied to  pat wilson @7.2.1    5 years ago

So what? Obama's approval during the same time period was at 46 and dropped to 40 only 6 weeks later. I don't remember liberals screaming that the President was a failure because of his low approvals.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

It's just a 4th of July parade. With all the hysteria, you'd think Trump was heading a column of nazis to take over the country. What do you think is going to happen? You think a tank is going to blow up a kindergarten? It's a celebration of America on America's birthday in America's capitol. Anything else you see comes from your own imagination.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.2  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago
It's just a 4th of July parade.

Actually, Trump's ego play has nothing to do with the 4th of July parade in DC. That started at 11:45, Trump doesn't start his day that early. 

With all the hysteria, you'd think Trump was heading a column of nazis to take over the country.

Trump is surrounding himself with partisans and uniforms for a photo op and campaign rally speech. That's not leadership. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @8.2    5 years ago
Trump is surrounding himself with partisans and uniforms for a photo op and campaign rally speech.

That IS shocking. I've never seen a politician do that! AMAZING!

/s jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.1    5 years ago

And it’s a speech that’s a tribute to America, not to himself.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago
It's just a 4th of July parade. With all the hysteria, you'd think Trump was heading a column of nazis to take over the country. What do you think is going to happen? You think a tank is going to blow up a kindergarten? It's a celebration of America on America's birthday in America's capitol. Anything else you see comes from your own imagination.

But ... but ... but ... patriotic US citizens and legal immigrants are not allowed to celebrate our nation's birthday ... because ... TDS reigns!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
9  pat wilson    5 years ago

[removed

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  Krishna    5 years ago

[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Krishna @10    5 years ago

Deleted for context by Charger 383

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
10.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Krishna @10    5 years ago

deleted for context by Charger 363

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  livefreeordie @10.2    5 years ago

deleted for context by Charger 383

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.2.2  Dulay  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.2.1    5 years ago

[delete]

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
13  livefreeordie    5 years ago

John Adams on future celebrations of the 4th of July

“I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. -- I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. -- Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.”

Original manuscript: Adams, John. Letter from John Adams to Abigail Adams, 3 July 1776, "Had a Declaration..." . 3 pages. Original manuscript from the Adams Family Papers, Massachusetts Historical Society.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
14  livefreeordie    5 years ago

Trump had nothing to do with our patriotic 4th of July Parades in Huntington Beach CA where we love the Military

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
15  livefreeordie    5 years ago

Hmm, that “right wing dictator”Eisenhower had military tanks pass in review at his inauguration.  How did ever survive it?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.2  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @15    5 years ago

We were at war in Korea when Eisenhower was inaugurated.

The comparison is ridiculous. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16  JohnRussell    5 years ago

CBS is reporting that the crowd at the Trump show is not very big. 

It's been raining though so he has a good excuse. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
16.1  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @16    5 years ago

The President is getting great applause for his very patriotic speech

great job Mr President

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
17  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I watched the "show" on CBSN, which had no commentary of any kind, simply showing Trump's speech and the singers. 

What this thing proved more than ever is that Donald Trump is the worst public speaker to ever hold high office in America. He managed to make the story of the military down through American history sound disjointed, dull, and boring. 

This show would have been far far far better if Trump had sat there while a professional narrator or actor read the words that accompanied the flyovers. He simply butchered the transcript they gave him to read.  Of course if he just sat there listening along with everyone else the event wouldnt have been about him (which was the whole point of it after all).

The crowd seemed confused by his speaking as well. There were numerous times Trump said something that was supposed to get a crowd reaction, but didnt , and he had to pause to let the crowd know it was supposed to cheer. 

This thing was kind of the wet noodle of 4th of July patriotic displays. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
18  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Trump looks sad and disappointed at the small crowd size. He sounds like a robot, so the crowd doesn’t know when to clap. Lots of awkward pauses. And the glass around Trump is wet so you can’t even see him clearly. This is pathetic and embarrassing. This event is an epic failure.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
19  seeder  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Well, contrary to Trump haters' dreary, dismal, downer opinions here, "Salute to America" was a spectacular success. A unifying speech by the POTUS that covered our nation's history, spectacular fly-overs, and wonderful patriotic music.

This seed is now locked.