Trump’s sad, strange, somewhat Soviet Fourth of July spectacle

Via:  john-russell  •  3 months ago  •  49 comments

Trump’s sad, strange, somewhat Soviet Fourth of July spectacle
On another level, however, the speech was indeed offensive. Not only did it attempt to militarize our most sacred national holiday, but Trump tried to bathe himself in borrowed legitimacy from a military that was forced to march, sing and fly for him.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

JR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-trumps-sad-strange-fourth-of-july-20190705-57dkgu2gvnfdho7x4gdnqb4rpm-story.html

Let’s get an obvious point about President Trump’s Independence Day speech out of the way right at the top. It was a bad speech.

It wasn’t bad in the way most of Donald Trump’s speeches are bad, in that it was not overtly objectionable. It was relatively free of the populist claptrap and barely disguised racism that characterizes so many of the president’s rally addresses. In some ways, it was even anodyne, and certainly not even in the same league as his hideous “American carnage” inaugural address.

Instead, it was just a poorly written speech: a long, cliché-plagued, rambling trip through American history that tried to name-check battles and famous people as applause lines. Imagine “We Didn’t Start the Fire” if Billy Joel had been born in 1776 and his producers told him to take as much time as he needed to finish the song.

On that level, the “Salute to America” was a flop. Perhaps this was unavoidable, since it was never meant to salute America, but rather to provide the military display Trump has wanted for two years. Like any enforced celebration, it was flat and labored. There were no memorable phrases, no vivid images and no bold proposals — unless you count a promise to NASA stalwart Gene Kranz to plant a U.S. flag on Mars one day. It would have been a challenging speech to deliver even for a better speaker, and Trump, who hates reading from prepared remarks, plodded through it with a strangely detached presence and a certain amount of mushy enunciation, including a weird blip where he referred to the glorious military capture of some airports in colonial America.

On another level, however, the speech was indeed offensive. Not only did it attempt to militarize our most sacred national holiday, but Trump tried to bathe himself in borrowed legitimacy from a military that was forced to march, sing and fly for him.

There’s nothing wrong with recounting stories of American military heroism and bravery. We even have an entire holiday called Veterans Day devoted to honoring the sacrifices and valor of the men and women who have served our country. And it’s perfectly appropriate to remember that the United States was born out of a revolution, in which both ink and gunpowder were powerful weapons against monarchism and tyranny.

It is another matter entirely, however, to call forward the secretary of defense and the chairman of the joint chiefs and make them stand there during a cheerless reading of the exploits of each branch of the armed services while a military chorus sings their anthems and their various aircraft roar past — including the narcissistic insistence that Air Force One fly overhead as the president took the stage. (It was also silly, because Air Force One isn’t “Air Force One” unless the president is on board.)

Mining the glories of past military battles while flanked by defense chiefs is the kind of thing Soviet leaders used to do while droning from their reviewing stand in Moscow. It wasn’t patriotic or stirring; it was cringe-inducing. This is probably one of many reasons that former Secretary of Defense James Mattis and former Chief of Staff John Kelly — both retired generals — reportedly squashed this idea whenever it came up.

The “Salute to America,” in the end, was a miniature military review, held as a partisan exercise for an insecure president who thirsts for legitimacy as a military hero. Our Constitution vests the leadership of the armed forces in an elected civilian for a reason, not least among them so that our republic does not fall prey to a generalissimo or a caudillo.

The speech itself was not the problem. Its content will be forgotten — except, perhaps by students of speechwriting, who might use it as an example of what to avoid in their craft. Everything around it, however, from beginning to end, was an offense to the traditions of our republic and our Constitution.

Nichols is a professor at the Naval War College and a former Republican Senate aide. The views expressed here are his alone.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 months ago

The “Salute to America,” in the end, was a miniature military review, held as a partisan exercise for an insecure president who thirsts for legitimacy as a military hero. Our Constitution vests the leadership of the armed forces in an elected civilian for a reason, not least among them so that our republic does not fall prey to a generalissimo or a caudillo.

WallyW
1.1  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 months ago

Our Constitution vests the leadership of the armed forces in an elected civilian for a reason......

That's very true, and Trump is handling his responsibilities as Commander-in-Chief in a prudent and reasonable manner, staying out of armed conflicts and attempting to resolve differences with our adversaries in peaceful ways.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
1.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  WallyW @1.1    3 months ago
Our Constitution vests the leadership of the armed forces in an elected civilian for a reason...…

Please define 'vests'.

WallyW
1.1.2  WallyW  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    3 months ago

You'll have to ask JR.

Freedom Warrior
1.2  Freedom Warrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 months ago

One can just envision the fake news media getting blue balls waiting to pounce on Trump's words celebrating America but coming up empty.

Trump is so in their collective heads they may need treatment for PTTD.

JohnRussell
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1.2    3 months ago

I didnt see anyone come up empty. 

Freedom Warrior
1.2.2  Freedom Warrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 months ago

You were probably admiring their ....

Freedom Warrior
1.2.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 months ago

Oh and even the author here in the article says they came up empty and then just they would make up shit about it being a bad speech

MrFrost
2  MrFrost    3 months ago

Could someone please explain to grandpa that there were no airports during the Revolutionary War?

FFS

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @2    3 months ago
Could someone please explain to grandpa that there were no airports during the Revolutionary War?

Could someone explain to his predecessor that there are not 57 states?

To quote you....  FFS

MrFrost
2.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    3 months ago

"But.........but........but........OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!"

You're ODS is showing. Also, just an FYI? OBAMA isn't the POTUS anymore. 

arkpdx
2.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.1    3 months ago
OBAMA isn't the POTUS anymore. 

Thank God for that! 

JohnRussell
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @2    3 months ago

Trump had never seen the speech before and he got jumbled up.  Most likely the word that came out airports in his mouth was "ports" in the text.  Even that doesnt make complete sense though. It would be interesting to see the words as written, but I dont think the White House will show us that. 

MrFrost
2.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    3 months ago

So we should give Trump a pass because he was too stupid read the speech at least once before giving it? 

JohnRussell
2.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.1    3 months ago

His aides are just happy that there was a script. Imagine the calamity had he been ad libbing.

It Is ME
2.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.2    3 months ago
His aides are just happy that there was a script. Imagine the calamity had he been ad libbing.

The "Could have been" rant !

Love it ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Any more "Innuendo and Conjecture" you'd like to SHARE ! jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

MrFrost
3  MrFrost    3 months ago

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

JohnRussell
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @3    3 months ago

There is a big blowhard element to Donald J. Trump. 

XDm9mm
3.2  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @3    3 months ago
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

[deleted]

I'll save you the time of searching:

William Shakespeare

Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5.

MrFrost
3.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2    3 months ago

Yea, kinda knew that... 

Freedom Warrior
3.2.2  Freedom Warrior  replied to  MrFrost @3.2.1    3 months ago

Bet you didn't know there are some Dems who want to outlaw fireworks on the 4th of July.

XDm9mm
4  XDm9mm    3 months ago

My day has been very happily started by the Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) sufferers.

I so enjoy seeing that President Donald Trump still resides rent free in their individual and collective heads, thereby giving meaning to their lives.

TRUMP 2020

JohnRussell
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @4    3 months ago

One of your compadres here was complaining because every television network didnt show it. Now you are complaining because people are talking about it and it was news. 

Hint - you can't make filet mignon out of the cheapest most fat filled ground beef. 

XDm9mm
4.1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    3 months ago
Now you are complaining because people are talking about it and it was news. 

I suggest you reread my post.  Show me EXACTLY where I'm complaining.

Quite the contrary.  I'm ecstatic with joy knowing President Trump is such a buzz saw operating in their heads.  It truly makes my day.  

So, John, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this and helping bring out the other TDS sufferers into the light to shine on them.

JohnRussell
4.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    3 months ago
I'm ecstatic with joy knowing President Trump is such a buzz saw operating in their heads.  It truly makes my day.  

Your misunderstandings and delusions regarding such things as the non-existent "TDS" are your problem, not everyone else's. 

MrFrost
4.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    3 months ago

TDS....coming from someone STILL suffering from ODS?

😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😆😆😆

XDm9mm
4.1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.3    3 months ago
TDS....coming from someone STILL suffering from ODS?

Yeah TDS.

Here's a hint Frost.  I never hated Obama as the progressives hate Trump.  I disliked virtually all of his "policies" but other than a failed Senator what else was in his history?

MrFrost
4.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.4    3 months ago

I don't hate Trump I just think he's literally a moron.

What does Obama have? 8 years as the leader of the free world? 

Freedom Warrior
4.1.6  Freedom Warrior  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.5    3 months ago
I don't hate Trump I just think he's literally a moron.

When I see comments like that and juxatopose them against his accomplishments and manipluation of his detractors I become absolutely convinced some folks have flipped the defintion of moron on it's head not unlike much of fascistic newspeak emanating from their cohorts.

WallyW
4.1.7  WallyW  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.5    3 months ago

Obama led from behind.

Ed-NavDoc
4.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.5    3 months ago

Sorry Frost, no offense but considering all the negative stuff that went down under Obama, "8 years as leader of the free world" does not appear to say much. Just my opinion.

Paula Bartholomew
4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @4    3 months ago

Supporting Trump is akin to being a flat earther and a Holocost denier.

WallyW
4.2.1  WallyW  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2    3 months ago

As usual, Melania looked marvelous.

That can't be denied.

MrFrost
4.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  WallyW @4.2.1    3 months ago

She wore a white shirt in a rain storm.....  The only time she is bright is when Donny throws a lamp at her.

Freedom Warrior
4.2.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2    3 months ago

Two things I expect one of the loony lefty Dem candidates will say at some point illustrating how massively out of touch they are.

Paula Bartholomew
4.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  WallyW @4.2.1    2 months ago

True that.

It Is ME
5  It Is ME    3 months ago

I thought it was GREAT !

It was nothing like the "LEFTY" Crap news tried to portrait it as. jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

And the Talking points from the Dems running for President, even before it happened.....Fucking Price-LESS ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
5.1  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @5    3 months ago

Trump thinks there were airports during the Revolutionary War.  Laugh it up...lol

XDm9mm
5.1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    3 months ago
Trump thinks there were airports during the Revolutionary War.  Laugh it up...lol

Is that like Obama thinking there were 57 states?  LOL

MrFrost
5.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.1    3 months ago

So you won't be voting for Obama 3 years ago in an election he wasn't running it?

You have ODS, see a doctor.

It Is ME
5.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    3 months ago

"Hiccups" do happen.....wouldn't you agree ?

"Open (wait until my re-election) Mics" and …. How many "States" do we really have now ?

XDm9mm
5.1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.2    3 months ago
So you won't be voting for Obama 3 years ago in an election he wasn't running it?

Nope.  And guess what.  I didn't vote for that fat scag hag Clinton.

Try being original Frost.  

MrFrost
6  MrFrost    3 months ago

"Young people should sign up for the military!!!!"

Signed,

Five deferment donny.

PJ
7  PJ    3 months ago

I am happy to say that I did NOT tune in to the Donny show.  I did some work around my house and finally put up my flag (I've been out of town more than in town). 

Tacos!
8  Tacos!    3 months ago

It was supposed to be this grand catastrophe for democracy and it turned out to be pretty ordinary. He talked about our history, called for unity, and didn't attack the media or the other party. Nothing really to complain about and yet . . . here we are. Once again the partisans who oppose him point at ordinary behavior, clutch their pearls, pant heavily and pretend something terrible just happened. It's a wonder we're all still talking and breathing.

tomwcraig
9  tomwcraig    3 months ago

When did Dwight David Eisenhower and John Fitzgerald Kennedy become Soviets?  They both had parades in DC that included tanks.

MUVA
9.1  MUVA  replied to  tomwcraig @9    3 months ago

I loved those guys till I found out the were both basically like Trump womanisers ,racist ,tank enjoyers.

Jeremy Retired in NC
10  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 months ago

It's funny but sad watching the left go absolutely batshit crazy over this.  All the problems in this country and THIS is what you all focused on.

freepress
11  freepress    2 months ago

After trashing Obama for reading a teleprompter, Trump uses the sad excuse that he slurred his words and sounded demented in his rambling speech with references to history because the rain caused his TELEPROMPTER to fail. 

No, Trump failed as he has with everything he does, multiple bankruptcies, multiple failed marriages, and a tweet record that is causing him to fail in courts because he lies and contradicts everything that comes out of his own mouth.

To top it off after the right wing went viciously after Michelle Obama for a sleeveless dress and Obama's tan suit, they say nothing about Melania going braless and nipples showing at this fake display of pageantry that was nothing but a taxpayer funded campaign ad.