Does Huawei’s 5G pose a national security threat?

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 months ago  •  7 comments

Does Huawei’s 5G pose a national security threat?
The tech giant is spending billions to gain the edge in 5G, the next-generation wireless network, but the U.S. worries Huawei’s equipment may have malicious “backdoors” for China’s government to “spy.” We have a rare look inside the secretive company.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 months ago

How much should we worry about the Chinese having 5G and why didn't we get there first?

Ender
1.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 months ago
why didn't we get there first?

Our country is too busy fleecing the populace.

Then again, I am usually on wifi.

WallyW
1.2  WallyW  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 months ago

I have no reason to trust the powers that rule China. I have no trust in the products they produce. If 5G technology can be used by the Chinese to spy or steal information, I'm sure it will be.

I don't consider them as of yet to be an enemy, but as an adversary that cannot ever be trusted, and that we should always be wary of.

FLYNAVY1
1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 months ago

Of course we should be worried about software backdoors encoded in to the he Huawei systems.  The Aussies found them in their gear when they deployed it for their national communications systems.

Of course I believe that the NSA has HHD backdoors on Seagate drives.  My bets that they are in every desktop/laptop in China, Russia, Etc.   (Speculation of course on my part.)

XDm9mm
1.4  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 months ago
How much should we worry about the Chinese having 5G and why didn't we get there first?

Be very worried.  VERY.

We didn't get there first as while we were doing research and development, the Chinese were stealing that information, (it's 'estimated' that there are about 100,000 Chinese spies in the US in business and academia) and foregoing all the initial investment, improved what they found.  Also, as HUAWEI is not what anyone can call a private business, but is an extension of the Chinese government/military, it has essentially unlimited financial and personnel resources available.

The Chinese also have a history of spying through computers/electronic systems.

As FLYNAVY1 (who I seldom agree with) noted, the Aussies found spyware embedded in their systems, as did we.  We discovered it in 'notebooks' which had been distributed to our clandestine personnel around the world (the predecessor to the Aussies finding it) and the spyware was embedded in firmware.  They were programmed to 'phone home' with EVERY bit of information on that notebook.  We obviously had all personnel stop using them immediately, and had them sent, batteries removed, stateside.  Every one was evaluated for the damage that might have been done then destroyed...  literally crushed and pulverized.

Trusting the Chinese is similar to playing Russian roulette with a six shot revolver with six rounds loaded.

igknorantzrulz
2  igknorantzrulz    5 months ago

i don't know why our tech companies have not invested more in this, as i'm still living in a 1g world, 

but

i believe it is most certainly a threat, as have been many things our big corporations have outsourced, due to their bottom line.

Agreed or not, greed is becoming the undoing of our once great nation, but, that's just my opine. 

Bob Nelson
3  Bob Nelson    5 months ago

High-level communications switching gear is software, for a big part. Like all software, it needs to be kept up to date... almost continually. So such equipment needs to be in constant contact with the manufacturer's software engineers. The equipment always has a backdoor.

Cisco switches - in whatever country - have backdoors to the US.

And of course... NSA.

So we can be sure that the US has been doing, since forever, exactly what Huawei / China are accused of.

China can focus whatever resources are required, on any priority they choose. America cannot.

So our options are not plentiful... and not good.