╌>

Does Huawei’s 5G pose a national security threat?

Category:  World News

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  7 comments

Does Huawei’s 5G pose a national security threat?
The tech giant is spending billions to gain the edge in 5G, the next-generation wireless network, but the U.S. worries Huawei’s equipment may have malicious “backdoors” for China’s government to “spy.” We have a rare look inside the secretive company.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

How much should we worry about the Chinese having 5G and why didn't we get there first?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
why didn't we get there first?

Our country is too busy fleecing the populace.

Then again, I am usually on wifi.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Of course we should be worried about software backdoors encoded in to the he Huawei systems.  The Aussies found them in their gear when they deployed it for their national communications systems.

Of course I believe that the NSA has HHD backdoors on Seagate drives.  My bets that they are in every desktop/laptop in China, Russia, Etc.   (Speculation of course on my part.)

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

i don't know why our tech companies have not invested more in this, as i'm still living in a 1g world, 

but

i believe it is most certainly a threat, as have been many things our big corporations have outsourced, due to their bottom line.

Agreed or not, greed is becoming the undoing of our once great nation, but, that's just my opine. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

High-level communications switching gear is software, for a big part. Like all software, it needs to be kept up to date... almost continually. So such equipment needs to be in constant contact with the manufacturer's software engineers. The equipment always has a backdoor.

Cisco switches - in whatever country - have backdoors to the US.

And of course... NSA.

So we can be sure that the US has been doing, since forever, exactly what Huawei / China are accused of.

China can focus whatever resources are required, on any priority they choose. America cannot.

So our options are not plentiful... and not good.