╌>

The One City in the World You Most Wish You Had Experienced

Category:  Other

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  82 comments

"We'll always have Paris"

eiffel-tower-paris-france-place-de-la-co

In all my years I've travelled broadly - to most of the most important cities in Canada and the USA, some in the Middle East, Asia, north Africa, the Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda and Europe, and although I've been to London, Madrid and Zurich, I was never in Rome or Paris.  Although Rome would have been important to see, the one that I most wish I had visited is Paris.  Home of the Lost Generation, the Bohemians, the Artists, the most famous art gallery in the world housing the most famous paintings, the Left Bank, the Eiffel Tower, the best cuisine in the world served with the most famous wines, Notre Dame, Moulin Rouge.  It is the city that Hitler ordered to be turned to rubble.  "However, the newly appointed Military Governor of Paris, General der Infanterie Dietrich von Choltitz, could not bring himself to destroy the most beautiful city in the world"   

"It is ca lled the "City of Light" because it was a  place of enlightenment  in the 18th century. During this  age of enlightenment , Paris became the center of education, philosophy and learning."

Paris is the one city in the whole world that I most wish I had experienced.

What is the ONE CITY in the world that you have never been to, that of all the cities in the world, is the one you most wish you could tour?  Please do your best to choose only one, AND GIVE A REASON OR REASONS WHY IT IS YOUR CHOICE. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I know it's really hard to choose when there are so many cities in the world that include incredible things to see and enjoy, but try hard to limit your choice to ONE ONLY, and GIVE A REASON OR REASONS WHY it is your choice. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

For me, it is Glasgow in Scotland. One of my ancestors was King John I of Scotland. I always wanted to visit my ancestral place of origin but never got the chance. Now I'm too old and can't afford it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    5 years ago

Thirteen years ago I was 69 and gave almost everything I had of value to my kids and my ex-wife and moved to China for the adventure of my life.  Are you sure you can't do it?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

I could, I am 64 but I am just too attached to my 8 year old only grand daughter. Maybe when she's older.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    5 years ago

59285910_2827235360640592_4000177083153121280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpf1-1.fna&oh=6a0c39508040ec0e50a8c675e35ee80b&oe=5D9A31FB

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    5 years ago

I traced my ancestry to Robert the Bruce, and my dad's ancestors were Campbells.  My mom, sister, two elderly cousins, and I went to Scotland in 2015.  We drove all over the place, and visited Inveraray Castle, which was the clan seat of the Campbells (and a lot of other places).

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  cjcold  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.4    5 years ago

Traced mine to Russia and didn't like what I found. Seems they were assholes. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  cjcold @1.1.5    5 years ago

So were the Campbells.  Check out their history with the McDonalds.  There are still McDonalds who joke about not having anything to do with a Campbell.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.7  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @1.1.5    5 years ago

I have been told that St. Petersburg is a magnificent city to visit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.8  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.6    5 years ago
"There are still McDonalds who joke about not having anything to do with a Campbell."

Yeah, bet they won't even drink their soup.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.8    5 years ago

Groan.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.10  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.4    5 years ago
"I traced my ancestry to Robert the Bruce,..."

If my memory is still what it once was, I think I recall Dowser saying the same thing.  You could be related to her.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.10    5 years ago

She did, and we discussed it briefly.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.4    5 years ago

Turns out I am also related William Wallace. That was a eye opener.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    5 years ago

I would have to go with Rome ( Vatican City in particular ), provided they give me unlimited access to the Vatican Library ( always wanted to know what dark secrets may be hidden there).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  luther28 @2    5 years ago

Yes, who knows what lurks in the heart of Opus Dei?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  luther28 @2    5 years ago

I got so sick (drank the tap water) in Rome.  Three days in the bathroom and 10 lbs lost soured me on ever returning there.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    5 years ago

When I was in Madrid, we dined at the posh top floor restaurant of the Plaza Hotel, the restaurant that Franco dined at, and Hitler did when he was there. The staff were in black tie tuxedos, white gloves.  The tables were set with white linen, crystal, real silver and incredible China.  I dared, for the first time on that trip not to drink only bottled water and drank the icewater poured by the white-gloved waiter, and the next day I was sick as a dog, and only because there was a doctor with us who gave me pills was I able to continue on the tour. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4  GaJenn78    5 years ago

Santorini (sp?), Greece

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  GaJenn78 @4    5 years ago

Although you didn't say why you chose it, the reason is pretty visible:

Oia-Santorini.jpg

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4.1.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago

Oops, Sorry Buzz, hit the send button too fast, but yes, exactly why! It's so beautiful!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    5 years ago

It was a volcano.

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
4.1.4  The Old Breed Marine  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago

My son just got home from 17 days in Greece, he loved it!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.3    5 years ago

It was the opening scene for a Angelina Jolie movie. Tomb Raider 2.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  GaJenn78 @4.1.1    5 years ago

After seeing that picture, I am rethinking my Pitcarin stance.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.2  katrix  replied to  GaJenn78 @4    5 years ago

Same here. The beauty, the water, the food, the wine ... but not during the summer when it's too hot.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

Having travled most of the world the one place that I missed and would love to go to. 

Timbu, Bhutan where by royal decree there is ''Gross National Happiness''.....Located high in the Himilayan mountains it's known as the ''Middle Kingdom''....

By law 60% of the country must be forest. 

Tourism is very limited so it is difficult to get a visa to visit. 

Excellent video on the Bhutan.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

A small country sandwiched between Tibet and India, one doesn't hear much about Bhutan.

th?id=OIP.TvneQ3QMoeE-7sUPzyzkxQHaEt&pid=Api&rs=1

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

Beautiful

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.3  katrix  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

You can go if you want to:

I just got my Nat Geo Expeditions catalog. Normally I don't wish I were rich ... but when I page through this catalog, I do!  I'll probably dog ear it before I finally throw it in the burn pile. There are so many of their trips that I'd love to go on, and the experts they bring on their trips ... not to mention the locals that they include, the education, the photographers ... just wow.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.3.1  cjcold  replied to  katrix @5.3    5 years ago

Now that the Kochs own Nat Geo I have stopped my subscription.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @5.3.1    5 years ago

What has changed? Is the magazine no longer publishing the kinds of things it did before the Kochs took it over?  Do you think your subscription dollars make a point?....a difference to the Kochs?  So you would deprive yourself of something you obviously may have enjoyed - i.e. punishing yourself?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    5 years ago
I was never in Rome or Paris.  Although Rome would have been important to see, the one that I most wish I had visited is Paris.  Home of the Lost Generation, the Bohemians, the Artists, the most famous art gallery in the world housing the most famous paintings, the Left Bank, the Eiffel Tower, the best cuisine in the world served with the most famous wines, Notre Dame, Moulin Rouge.  It is the city that Hitler ordered to be turned to rubble. "However, the newly appointed Military Governor of Paris, General der Infanterie Dietrich von Choltitz, could not bring himself to destroy the most beautiful city in the world" 

That says so much. I know Julia's. One of her favourite sayings is "Paris wasn't built in a day".

I don't know, there are so many places and I am a big fan of history.

One that might seem odd here is Isfahan/Esfahan Persia (Iran). Years after learning about the place, I learned one of my good friends was born there. It is a city of tile work born around a desert oasis supporting one of the worlds most wonderful squares of water fountains and pools, intricate tile work and deep history.

Then there is Troy. Yes, it really existed and some of the most intricate and beautiful hand crafted gold jewelry and dinning ware have been discovered there. Unfortunately, Heinrich Schliemann wrecked the site due to bull headed arrogance and personal greed. 

Then there is a small village in Switzerland a friend of mine came from many years ago. I do not even recall it's name, but she shared many pictures. In addition to a farm, her family ran an Inn, up scale restaurant and hot air balloon rides through the mountains. The picture I always recall first was of the town clock maker who refused to recognize day light savings time. He and all the clocks in his shop opperated on real time.

Then there is Chichen Itza. So much history. The Temple of Kukulcan and maybe more importantly the observatory at Chichen Itza. The prototype of observatories beginning in our modern times. Astronomers who developed a calendar than "modern" people (us) use. 

Just fascinating history.

Want to visit them all. But there can only be 1 winner.

Drum roll please...and the winner is the Mayan city of Tulum. Why? Simple pleasures. The sea and the ancient light house there to help sea faring navigators of ancient times.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1  katrix  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    5 years ago

I have been to Tulum. It's simple but beautiful ... and then the steps down the cliff to float in that gorgeous sea ...

I loved thinking about the people who lived there, who walked on those same stones as I was walking on ... did they ever think that this far in the future, people would be enjoying the ruins of their city, examining their bones, and thinking about them? Or would they be astonished to find that their city was no longer standing intact?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  katrix @6.1    5 years ago

Thank you.

Sounds just what I am looking for.

Good questions about their thought of the future. I am sure they didn't imagine the Spanish invasion. Yet it happened and the Spanish were amazed by Tulum and many other native cities.

If not for a certain Spanish priest, we would have the Mayan libraries available to us today and maybe we would know the answer to the questions you posed.

Instead, we only have 5 codices and the more rudimentary inscriptions of the buildings and monuments, etc.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.2  katrix  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.1    5 years ago

I went on a LivingSocial deal - we also rappelled into a cenote, snorkeled through another cenote, ziplined through the Mayan jungle, and enjoyed a traditional Mayan meal hosted by a local family. It was all very cool stuff, it was my college graduation present for my "niece."  Stayed in a really nice boutique hotel in Playa del Carmen, about an hour away.

Oh, and we were treated to a Mayan religious ceremony in a cenote (I posted pictures of that back on Newsvine). That was hilarious - some of the girls in our group were Southern Baptists, and they were terrified they'd go to hell because of that. I had to explain to them that at this point, the Mayan religion is actually based on Christianity (of course it wasn't in English, so they didn't know what was being said) - and in either case, simply watching another culture's traditional ceremony is nothing like converting or participating in the ceremonies. That seemed to put them at ease.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  katrix @6.1.2    5 years ago
I went on a LivingSocial deal - we also rappelled into a cenote, snorkeled through another cenote, ziplined through the Mayan jungle, and enjoyed a traditional Mayan meal hosted by a local family. It was all very cool stuff, it was my college graduation present for my "niece."  Stayed in a really nice boutique hotel in Playa del Carmen, about an hour away.

You remind me of a fiction novel my daughter had to read when she was very ill with lyme disease. She was too fatigued by the lyme, so I read it to her and and we would discuss it along the way. I don't care if that is considered cheating, she was spent at the time and the school system had zero concept of what lyme disiease meant.

It was called Domain by Steve Alten.

The cenotes played an interesting role.

Funny about the ceremony story. Glad you saved their soles.

Interestingly enough many draw connections to the earlier Toltec ceremonies and the Mayan ceremonies. I think there is more discovery to be done there.

Also, interestingly enough the shop I work at now has a couple young ladies from Central America working in the office with me. I am surprised that they recognize themselves at native Mayan and not Spanish. This is a landmark in my mind.

Amazing. Historically, most have been ingrained to think they are Spanish. Even my best friend since the early 70s from Puerto Rico thought he was Spanish. He was 100% Taino if he was anything at all.

But to see these two in the office know they are Mayan is good to see.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  katrix @6.1    5 years ago

Interesting thoughts.

GregTx
PhD Guide
8  GregTx    5 years ago

512 Milan

Simply because my father's ancestors came from Northern Italy. If I could go, I would love to see the entire region. But if I could only pick one it would be Milan.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1  dave-2693993  replied to  GregTx @8    5 years ago

Beautiful city Greg.

GregTx
PhD Guide
8.1.1  GregTx  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1    5 years ago

Sure looks beautiful to me. Have you ever been there?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  GregTx @8.1.1    5 years ago

No, I haven't been there Greg. 

But I looked at your pictures and investigated a little. Beautiful city.

Thank you for posting about it.

The Old Breed Marine
Freshman Silent
9  The Old Breed Marine    5 years ago

Maybe it's sad, but I don't even think in these terms anymore.

I got to see some cool places, lived abroad, did some fun travel... but now, I don't know, I just don't have the hunger anymore. If I could go anywhere in the world, tomorrow, for free, I'd probably just stay home.

However, it would be nice to have visited Machu Picchu.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

I've already been there but I'd LOVE to go back to Sicily.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11    5 years ago

My father's roots are in Sicily.  I have been there.  Great place to visit.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.1    5 years ago

It's beautiful.  And the people we met were great.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.1.1    5 years ago

Wasn't it the home of Don Vito Corleone? (in the movie, of course)

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
12  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Zermatt Switzerland and Queenstown New Zealand are my two favorite places I’ve been.  

Lichtenstein is where I’d like to visit as it is becoming known as a Libertarians paradise. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
13  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

Mine is not a city, but an island...Pitcarin.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @13    5 years ago

Pitcairn Island - You're looking for isolation?

Aerial-shot-of-pitcairn-RSPB.jpg

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
13.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1    5 years ago

I totally am.  I would build me a hut on the beach at the far end of the island and have supplies delivered.  My only companion would be a dog, maybe two.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
14  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: When and if I am next in Israel, I want to go to Sfad.

I am descended from Levi mistakes in the time of the Ari (Ashkenazic Rabbi Yitzhaki) who first codified the Kitzur Schulchan Aruch

Kind of a going home pilgrimage to my family ancestral roots.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
14.1  Enoch  replied to  Enoch @14    5 years ago

Time to correct a word processing error.

It is true I am descended from Levi Mystics. 

Whether or not I am descended from, or am a Levi mistakes is for others to decide.

Enoch.