GUN VIOLENCE ARCHIVE 2019

Category:  Stranger Than Fiction

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  180 comments

"Happiness is a Warm Gun" (The Beatles)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

gva-home-banner_0.jpg

The Gun Violence Archive is an online archive of gun violence incidents collected from over 6,500  law enforcement, media, government and commercial sources daily in an effort to provide near-real time data about the results of gun violence. GVA is an independent data collection and research group with no affiliation with any advocacy organization.

Mission Statement

Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and then post and disseminate it online, primarily if not exclusively on this website and summary ledgers at  www.facebook.com/gunviolencearchive  and on Twitter @gundeaths. It is hoped that this information will inform and assist those engaged in discussions and activities concerning gun violence, including analysis of proposed regulations or legislation relating to gun safety usage. All we ask is to please provide proper credit for use of Gun Violence Archive data and advise us of its use.

GVA is not, by design an advocacy group. The mission of GVA is to document incidents of gun violence and gun crime nationally to provide independent, verified data to those who need to use it in their research, advocacy or writing.

logo.png   2019

Gun violence  and crime incidents are collected/validated from 6,500 sources daily – incidents and their source data are found at the gunviolencearchive.org website.

1: Actual number of deaths and injuries
2: Number of INCIDENTS reported and verified

22,000 Annual Suicides not included on Daily Summary Ledger

Numbers on this table reflect a subset of all information
collected and will not add to 100% of incidents.

www.gunviolencearchive.org  www.facebook.com/gunviolencearchive

CHARTS AND MAPS

Data Validated: July 28, 2019

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I don't need to comment. The article speaks for itself, although I did post it under "Stranger Than Fiction".

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Is your point....ban guns?

Should the government require that all guns be registered so that they then can be confiscated, like the left wingers want to do?

When, not if, the next mass or school shootings occur, what preventive measures were in place....locked doors, metal detectors, qualified armed people? The answer is....probably none.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    5 years ago

All guns are required to be registered, duh.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.1    5 years ago
All guns are required to be registered, duh.

Source please.

I find something 100% different than what YOU claim.

Most states in the U.S. do not require registration of guns and there is no Federal program to register guns. In fact under Federal law a national gun registry is illegal and eight states also have bans on any gun registry.
Gun Laws By State: The Complete and Updated Guide
www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state

Duh.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2.3    5 years ago
Now show me one right that you need to register to enjoy.

Don't hold your breath!

I am still waiting for the source that "All guns must be registered".

Think I'll ever, ever get it?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    5 years ago

most people think that when a firearm bought through a dealer when that little federal form is filled out , is a registration of some sort , its not , its simply a record of sale by that gun dealer.

matter of fact , by law that form cannot be used for registration.

Some states do require registration , some do not , I happen to live in a state that does not require registration in any form  other than what is required on the federal level ( full automatics ).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Texan1211  replied to    5 years ago
“All guns are required to be registered, duh.”
Where?

Oh, that is just something she made up.

It has no basis in reality.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    5 years ago
"Is your point....ban guns?"

Not at all. I simply posted the article for informational purposes and to elicit comments on it.  But since you asked me my point - I think the situation is so obvious it would take an idiot not to get the point.  But if you seek my OPINION on it, I think that it is much too late to make any changes to the situation in the USA, even too late to try to do what Australia did and New Zealand is now doing.  I think, to the contrary. I think America has NO CHOICE but to issue firearms to virtually every family and every person over the age of 12 in the USA. Every home needs at least one gun now.  Then it shouldn't be necessary to close the borders, because a person has to be nuts to go to live in a virtual universal shooting gallery.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.2    5 years ago

I didn't know that.  Obviously all guns SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO BE REGISTERED.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.9    5 years ago

Obviously ......  your understanding of the topic is sophomoric at best.

For ALL GUNS legally bought from FFL holders (gun shops etc) the purchaser must already go through a criminal record background check via NICS.   Felons, illegal aliens, illegal drug users, people who have PPO's against them or those who have been adjudicated mentally defective can not legally own a gun.   No matter where they buy it.

That said, registering ALL guns is clearly not required since most guns are owned legally, by law abiding citizens and will NEVER be involved in a crime.   Many of the guns that are involved in a crime are already  illegally owned and registration will do squat to stop that 

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water .......  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.9    5 years ago
I didn't know that.

Yeah, THAT was pretty clear from your definitive statement that ALL GUNS ARE REQUIRED TO BE REGISTERED.

Obviously all guns SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO BE REGISTERED.

The only truly obvious thing is that is merely your opinion.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

Good news relatively small numbers compared to the approximately 480,000 that die in the US each year from smoking. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    5 years ago

How many die of old age?  You could compare those numbers.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago

Is old age preventable? I don’t see many pushing for a ban on high capacity cigarette cartons like they do for gun magazines here in the states. 

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.2  lib50  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.1    5 years ago

Asinine comparison, totally unrelated. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.3    5 years ago

What nonsense.  Is that all you have?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    5 years ago

The difference is that I choose to smoke.  I however would not have a choice to die by another's hand with a gun.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.3.2  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.1    5 years ago
or a vehicle, or a baseball bat, or

Which of these items is designed to SPECIFICALLY designed to kill people? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.1    5 years ago

As this is about gun violence, I didn't include alternative weapons into my comment.  Yes, it is the person who kills, but there is less of a chance of them killing you without a weapon, but a weapon ups the ante.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3.6  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @2.3.2    5 years ago

Tell us how more and 'stricter' gun laws and universal background check would prevent more shootings.

Remember, criminals and people intent on killing other people will most likely not obey any laws. Almost all the mass shooters were able to illegally get weapons. Or had no legal or police records.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.3.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.5    5 years ago

Actually, I made the comparison to smoke, but I see where you are coming from and it is one of the nicer debates we have had.  jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.3.8  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.4    5 years ago
Are you claiming that all guns are designed SPECIFICALLY to kill people?

What other specific purposes do they have? I have 8 that are designed for target shooting, but their original purpose is to shoot at other living things. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.3.9  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.5    5 years ago
ANYTHING can be a weapon.  ANYTHING.

True, but how many times have you heard of someone murdering someone else with a full auto salt shaker? That asshole in Vegas....what he shooting people with Nerf rockets? No. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3.12  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.5    5 years ago

Yes, anything can be a weapon, and I don't think it's valid to compare a gun to a machete or a baseball bat or a pitchfork because they cannot be used at a distance enabling the user to be free of interference from carrying out their intention.  Better to compare a gun to a bow and arrow or hand grenade when speaking of a person having a chance to defend themrselves. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.14  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.3    5 years ago
I however would not have a choice to die by another's hand with a gun.

Get the guns out of the hands of criminals and/or anyone who plans to own/use the weapon illegally.

Leave law abiding citizens alone.   You have little to fear from them.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    5 years ago
Good news relatively small numbers

Compared to other countries? It's appalling especially since the right continues with their, "more guns means less crime" bullshit. If that were true, we would have NO gun violence at all given there is literally one gun for every man, woman and child is the USA. 

FFS, a gal from Australia visiting the USA called 911 and she was shot and killed by the police. 

And please, dean, spare me the, "well mental health....blah blah blah", BS. Other countries have mentally ill people and they don't have nearly the gun violence we have. 

We have more mass shootings in a month than Australia has had in the last 25 years. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.1    5 years ago

Australia took control of the problem with their laws.  Guns are too rampant here and Australia doesn't have the NRA to butt heads with.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.4.2    5 years ago

Thank you for the facts.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.4.5  MrFrost  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.4.2    5 years ago
Australia took control of the problem with their laws.

Exactly. 

Guns are too rampant here and Australia doesn't have the NRA to butt heads with.

I own many guns, and I was once an NRA member, not anymore. The gun lobby feeds on gun violence. It's a very simple concept. 

Someone goes bat shit crazy and mows down a few kids in a school. The NRA tells people that in order to be safe, you should buy more guns, which means there are more shootings, which means they sell more guns to "keep people safe", which causes more gun violence.... The NRA is broke, NRA tv is gone, it's leadership is in chaos, which is a good thing. 

I support the 2nd amendment, but the level of violence we have here in the USA with regards to guns is out of control. Two years ago, there was a murder in a duplex because one tennent adjusted the thermostat. The neighbor grabbed his .45 and blew his neighbor away. We are quickly becoming a nation where any and all issues can be cured by simply shooting someone. To me? That's incredibly sad. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.4.6  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.4    5 years ago
Guns are too rampant here That's YOUR belief.

320 million guns in the hands of private citizens. But that's not rampant? Really? 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.4.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @2.4.6    5 years ago
320 million guns in the hands of private citizens.

I actually think that number is on the low side.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.4.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.4    5 years ago

That too.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
2.4.11  livefreeordie  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.4.9    5 years ago

Yes, new estimates are closer to 400 million and that is probably low. The average gun owner has at least two amnd often an assortment including handguns, shotguns, and long guns. 

My sister who is very liberal has 3- a glock, a 12guage, and a 22 Remington long gun. All for protection on the 10 acres she lives on. Coyotes, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, and bobcats are animal predators. Thieves come in the area looking for weak properties to rob.   Law enforcement is about 30 minutes away

i wont say she likes having them, but I respect her for understanding her necessity of having them

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.4.12  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  livefreeordie @2.4.11    5 years ago

I will go one further , I think that the actual number of people that have a firearm is WAAAAY north of the estimates being mentioned , some folks tend to think what others don't know wont hurt until one has to let it be known. in other words , they don't think its anyones business but their own.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4.14  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.4.2    5 years ago

I believe that New Zealand has started to follow Australia's example concerning the turning in of weapons. It just took one mass shooting there to convince them to do it. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.4.15  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.4.14    5 years ago

yes they have , Aus and NZ also only have 13th the population of the US , roughly 30 million together , verses 400 mill in the Us , basically  the size of a major metro city with its suburbs in the US, heck even Canada only has a population of about 37.4 million, my point being is it is easier to do with a smaller population than a larger one , unless of course , a larger population base has an authoritarian government , and a military force compliant to that government. The other drawback would be that firearm ownership is viewed as a right guaranteed in the Constitution , and not a privilege at the whims of the government here in the US.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.4.17  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  XDm9mm @2.4.16    5 years ago

I don't think that dig was nessisary XD , but it does hold true, with a population of 1.4 BILLION, that's twice the US population, to keep the populus under control  the government has to have a compliant military that would take the governments orders and an authoritarian government  and disarmament of individuals  is possible .

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.4.18  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.4.17    5 years ago

Well, we are a nation of 325 million...so, China is a bit over 4x our size with regards to population... Not trying to pick at ya, just pointing it out. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4.19  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.4.17    5 years ago

Not just possible - only the miltary, police and bank cash delivery staff have guns here in China.  I feel safer from being shot here than I even did in Canada, which does have relatively srict gun controls. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.4.20  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @2.4.18    5 years ago

Ok I rounded up considerably and admit it , did make the math easier. but the points still do stand about what I have said about relative sizes of populations and what would be needed to get desired effects . and the end point is that the conditions that would be needed for the disarmament of the US populus , are no where near being optimum to do so , we have a population against it , a military that likely would not enforce  if they tried , half would likely walk away , that's not even mentioning what those in LEO would do for differing reasons., and a government , hard as they try cant legislate their desires that the people will obey or that fits to conform with the current constitution. .

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.4.21  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.4.20    5 years ago

Fair enough, like I said, wasn't trying to be an asshole. 

One stat I saw about Hong Kong? In 2017, not even one gun related murder. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Does dying from getting smashed in the head by a rifle or pistol butt count?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4  Mark in Wyoming     5 years ago

I would have to take this information with a very large grain of salt.

It is nice to see they don't count suicides as gun violence though, that's more of a mental health issue not a gun issue.

A few things I think would be in the "don't count" catagories :

Lawful use of deadly force by a police officer

Lawful use of deadly force by a non LEO ie self defense or defense of  others

It could be debated if accidental shootings is actually gun violence or not

Other questions is what is the break down of criminal on criminal violence?

How many of these incidents are uses during illegal activities?

How many of these incidents involve lawful and legal possession of firearms in said jurisdictions?

Personally I don't think its the guns that are the problem , The US has a population of about 400 million (est) , of that about 100 million + (est) legally own  guns ,and that it is estimated that there is enough guns to arm every man woman and child in the country with about a billion rounds of ammunition( conservative guess) in the hands of those legal gun owners, If the guns and ammunition in the hands of those that legally have them were the problem , I think we all would know it by now.

Its not a gun problem , its a people problem and how they think they can use them.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4    5 years ago

I used to manage a gun range so I got used to responsible shooters.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.2.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.2    5 years ago

I think there is a major difference in "Gun range carry" and every day " personal carry".

I was raised around and handled firearms from a young age( dad and grandfathers started me about 5 years old with a Crossman bb gun, and still have that worn out old thing 52 years later) , carried every day on duty for the better part of 10+ years  in the service .  I still enjoy going out to fire a few rounds , even though I do not do it competitively anymore , still think even after all these years that  it is up to the person  how they use something and not the thing itself that has the responsibility for what happens .

devangelical
Professor Principal
5  devangelical    5 years ago

I think it's interesting that map to map shows the majority of incidents occur in the bible belt.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  devangelical @5    5 years ago

and on the east coast east of the Mississippi.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  devangelical @5    5 years ago

Interesting how nicely those red dots line up with the blue districts in our home state of Colorado. Look at that the liberal front range and Denver area is lit up like a Christmas tree. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.2    5 years ago

look closer. Ft.Collins, Colorado Springs, and the western slope are red, and total more than the number of dots over the Denver metro area which has the largest portion of our state population. Most of the school shootings in Colorado have happened in republican held counties. bummer, huh?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @5.2.1    5 years ago

BINGO!  Shhhhh, they don't like the facts.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.3  JBB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.2    5 years ago

Colorado Springs is arguably the most hardcore bastion of conservatism!

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.4  devangelical  replied to  JBB @5.2.3    5 years ago

it's basically the bible belt in this state with focus on the family based there along with a few other religious based money laundering scams. Ft.Collins sits among the tea party sewage settling pond up north.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.5  JBB  replied to  devangelical @5.2.4    5 years ago

I visited there and it felt like I had been transported a fictional Gilead!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.2.6  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @5.2.1    5 years ago

Which has absolutely nothing to do with it. The gun grabbers should really love this new law. It's got a lot of problems besides be unconstitutional.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5.2.6    5 years ago

Of course it does!

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.8  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @5.2.6    5 years ago

Dick Blister will probably go blind jerking that topic off every weekday from 5-9am on that religious cult owned 5000 watt am radio powerhouse. it's obvious that a brain destroyed by alcohol and cocaine and continuing to promote birtherism and the tea party is now the new local conservative oracle of truth. this current local paranoia replaces the secret muslim/socialist/marxist memes that morons with room temperature IQ's fall for hook, line, and sinker.... repeatedly.

I own guns. I grew up with them. people that say or do stupid things with guns deserve to lose them. stupid people are the reason I have guns. if the local conservative consensus truly believes that red flag bullshit, turn me in. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.9  devangelical  replied to  JBB @5.2.5    5 years ago

a beautiful city, but you're surrounded on 3 sides by brain washed morons

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6  livefreeordie    5 years ago

Most cities and counties in America have none or virtually no gun violence.   In much of the country where there are higher rates of gun ownership, the data shows there are ZERO gun murders

The Data shows that the majority of gun violence occurs in cities and counties controlled for decades (or longer) by Democrats.

“Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders, 2% of counties have 51% of the murders

In 2014, the most recent year that a county-level breakdown is available, 54% of counties (with 11% of the population) have no murders.  69% of counties have no more than one murder, and about 20% of the population. These counties account for only 4% of all murders in the country.

The worst 1% of counties have 19% of the population and 37% of the murders. The worst 2% of counties contain 28% of the population and 51% of the murders. The worst 5% of counties contain 47% of the population and account for 68% of murders. But even within those counties the murders are very heavily concentrated in small areas.

Murders actually used to be even more concentrated.  From 1977 to 2000, on average 73 percent of counties in any given year had zero murders. Possibly, this change is a result of the opioid epidemic’s spread to more rural areas. But that question is beyond the scope of this study.  Lott’s book “More Guns, Less Crime” showed how dramatically counties within states vary dramatically with respect to murder and other violent crime rates.

Breaking down the most dangerous counties in Figure 2 shows over half the murders occur in just 2% of the counties, 37% in just the worst 1% of the counties.

When you look at individual counties with a high number of murders, you find large areas with few murders. Take Los Angeles County, with 526 murders in 2014, the most of any county in the US. The county has virtually no murders in the northwestern part of the county. There was only one murder each in Beverly Hills, Hawthorne, and Van Nuys. Clearly, different parts of the county face very different risks of murder.

Here are Chicago’s murders through the first 4.5 months of 2017 (there were 222 homicides by that point).  One small neighborhood, Austin, accounts over 25 murders.  But 23 of the 77 neighborhoods in the city have zero murders, and most of the 40 neighborhoods in orange have only one murder.  Twelve of the neighborhoods have 10 or more murders.

According to a 2013 PEW Research Center survey, the household gun ownership rate in rural areas was 2.11 times greater than in urban areas (“Why Own a Gun? Protection is Now Top Reason,” PEW Research Center, March 12, 2013).   Suburban households are 28.6% more likely to own guns than urban households. Despite lower gun ownership, urban areas experience much higher murder rates. One should not put much weight on this purely “cross-sectional” evidence over one point in time and many factors determine murder rates, but it is still interesting to note that so much of the country has both very high gun ownership rates and zero murders.”j

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1  JBB  replied to  livefreeordie @6    5 years ago

Yean, EXCEPT THAT, almost all Americans today have choosen to live in our big cities and not out in bumfuck in some godforsaken cult compound! Most of America is a deserted No Man's Land. So, of course, most crimes happen where most people live. The only reason many small remote rural hamlets even still exist anymore is as bastions for oddball fundamentalist small c christian evangelical fundie cults where just about everybody is armed to the teeth and yet there are still lots and lots and lots of incidences of gun violence, Murders, "Accidental Shootings" and especially Suisides, just not as many on most days as there are in say LA or NYC...

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.1.2  livefreeordie  replied to  JBB @6.1    5 years ago

[Deleted] Yes Rural Americans are only 19% of the population but only 19% of Evangelicals live in rural areas. 

you also ignore the data I posted showing that the largest percentage of gun violence occurs in just a few American cities and even then it is is a small segment of those cities

I’m currently staying  in Arizonawhere many areas you see open carry. We see virtually no gun violence except in bad areas of Phoenix and Tucson where you see gangs and drug dealing

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.3  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.1    5 years ago

Yeah, except that, in Colorado and Idaho and Nevada and Utah all of those specific areas just so happen to be in hotbeds of white nationalist evangelical fundamentalism which pretty much blows all your [Deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.5  JBB  replied to  livefreeordie @6.1.2    5 years ago

So What? I live in the Bronx and have never ever seen an incidence of gun violence! Of course, just about nobody goes about here carrying a goddamn gun except for law enforcement because it is not legal and our gun laws are being enforced here now resulting in the incidence of gun violence being the lowest it has been since the 1950s...

Everybody has a personal anecdote. Yours are not special and do not represent everyone everywhere any more than mine do!

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.6  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.4    5 years ago

I never called you a racist butt I did say that you espoused a racist theory!

If not, then what in hell were you alluding to other than olde racist tropes?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.1.8  livefreeordie  replied to  JBB @6.1    5 years ago

Most cities and counties outside of Democrat controlled cities and counties have virtually no gun violence to ZERO 

yet we own most of the firearms in America and commit almost none of the crimes of any kind, much less gun violence

Truth about gun violence

“America is relatively safe, and the trend is toward becoming safer.

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, violent crime has been declining steadily since the early 1990s.

The 2011 homicide rate was almost half of the rate in 1991, and according to Pew Research, the 2013 gun-related death rate was half of the rate in 1993.

The number of non-fatal firearm crimes committed in 2011 was one-sixth the number committed in 1993.

In the past few years, there have been minor increases in certain types of violent crimes, mainly in large metropolitan areas. However, these increases are nowhere near those seen in the 1990s and are largely related to gang activity.

It should be remembered that it takes at least three to five years of data to show true trend lines. It appears that the collective homicide toll for America’s 50 largest cities decreased modestly in 2017 after two consecutive years of increases.”

Most gun-related crimes are carried out with illegally owned firearms—as much as 80 percent according to some estimates.

The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports prove that the overwhelming majority of gun-related homicides are perpetrated with handguns, with rifles of any kind accounting for less than 3 percent of gun-related homicides. In 2013, 5,782 murders were committed by killers who used a handgun, compared to 285 committed by killers who used a rifle. The same holds true for 2012 (6,404 to 298); 2011 (6,251 to 332); 2010 (6,115 to 367); and 2009 (6,501 to 351).

More people are stabbed to death every year than are murdered with rifles.

A person is more likely to be bludgeoned to death with a blunt object or beaten to death with hands and feet than to be murdered with a rifle.

The perpetration of gun-related murders is often carried out by predictable people.

According to studies, almost all mass public shooters have extensive histories of mental health issues (whether delusional/psychiatric or depression/anger), disturbing behaviors, or interpersonal violence.

Intimate partner conflict and domestic violence history are major risk factors for homicide-suicides, even for those not involving intimate partners.

Especially in urban areas, a small number of recidivist violent offendersare typically responsible for the majority of gun violence.

Legally owned firearms are used for lawful purposes much more often than they are used to commit crimes or suicide.

In 2013, President Barack Obama ordered the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to assess existing research on gun violence. The report, compiled by the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council, found (among other things) that firearms are used defensively hundreds of thousands of times every year.

According to the CDC, “self-defense can be an important crime deterrent.” Recent CDC reports acknowledge that studies directly assessing the effect of actual defensive uses of guns have found “consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”

Semi-automatic rifles (such as the AR-15) are commonly used as self-defense weapons in the homes of law-abiding citizens because they are easier to control than handguns, are more versatile than handguns, and offer the advantage of up to 30 rounds of protection. Even Vox has published stories defending the use of the AR-15.

AR-15s have been used to save lives on many occasions, including:

Oswego, Illinois (2018) — A man with an AR-15 intervened to stop a neighbor’s knife attack and cited the larger weapon’s “intimidation factor” as a reason why the attacker dropped the knife.

Catawba County, North Carolina (2018) — A 17-year-old successfully fought off three armed attackers with his AR-15.

Houston, Texas (2017) — A homeowner survived a drive-by shooting by defending himself with his AR-15.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (2017) — A homeowner’s son killed three would-be burglars with an AR-15 (the man was later deemed to have acted in justifiable self-defense).

Ferguson, Missouri (2014) — African-American men protected a white man’s store from rioters by standing outside armed with AR-15s.

Texas (2013) — A 15-year-old boy used an AR-15 during a home invasion to save both his life and that of his 12-year-old sister.

Rochester, New York (2013) — Home intruders fled after facing an AR-15.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.10  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.7    5 years ago

Do you believe and share all of the racist propaganda and white nationalist talking points spewn on Fox News? Despite a minor blip gun violence and murders and crime in general are on a sustained decline in NYC thanks to good policing and to getting guns off the streets and out of the hands of everyone including cranks, criminals and gangs. If I was wrong about your intentions then exactly what, other than the specific racial makeup of certain urban areas, were you alluding to? I will await your honest cogent answer...

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.11  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @6.1.9    5 years ago

If you correlate crime, violence, drug and alcohol use and unstable homes to poverty or the lack of good schools or especially to a minority population having historically suffered generations of discrimination you see the same things regardless of race or culture or religion. 

Yes, crime is highest among those suffering inescalpable generational poverty. What in hell does that have to do with the origins of the oppressed? Why, unless you really are just trying, impotently again, to prove that some olde false and long disproven outdated throwback xenophobic racist tropes from the nineteenth century are true?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @6.1    5 years ago
Yean, EXCEPT THAT, almost all Americans today have choosen to live in our big cities and not out in bumfuck in some godforsaken cult compound!

This mentality more or less defines the disconnect that exists for many in the USA Today.    That some people actually really think this way is amazing to me.

Unbelievable!

I wonder how all those fine big city folks would get along without all the food grown out in “bumfuck” USA.    I suppose they could eat their rats if they could actually catch them.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7  livefreeordie    5 years ago

There is no true liberty unless the people are armed against threats from criminals and government 

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

- Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  JBB  replied to  livefreeordie @7    5 years ago

NEWSFLASH! The 1950s were 65 years ago. The people in that olde propaganda poster are ready for olde folks homes if they are not already dead of olde age by now. They damn sure are not still up for starting and fighting a goddamn race war. And besides, the US military would defeat their lousy olde rebel asses in a New York Minute. They'd be wearing Depends riding HoverRounds...

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.2  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @7.1.1    5 years ago

A Posse? NYC is not Dodge City and this is not the 1950s, or the 1880s...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Kavika   replied to  XDm9mm @7.1.3    5 years ago

There are some exceptions to Posse Comitatus Act.

Exclusions and limitations [ edit ]

There are a number of situations in which the Act does not apply. These include:

A very interesting part of our history took place in Arkansas. 

I friend of mine (now a neighbor) was a member of the 101st 327th and was part of this operation. 

President Eisenhower Deploys 101st Airborne “Screaming Eagles”

On September 24, 1957, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed Executive Order 10730. The order federalized the 10,000 member Arkansas National Guard (taking it out of the hands of Faubus) and ordered the Secretary of Defense to employ the Arkansas soldiers as well as federal troops to enforce a federal district court order in Little Rock, Arkansas. Within hours 1,000 soldiers of the 327th Airborne Battle Group of the   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_Airborne_Division)"> 101st Airborne Division   deployed to Little Rock from their base in   Fort Campbell , Kentucky. That evening, from the White House, the president delivered a nationally televised address in which he explained that he had taken the action to defend the rule of law and prevent “mob rule” and “anarchy.”   (Operation Arkansas)

segregationists-101.jpg

As recounted in “The Fifties” by David Halberstam

With the arrival of the 101st, the nation witnessed again a stunning spectacle on TV; elite paratroopers of one of the most honored divisions in the United States Army escorting young black children where once there had been a mob. The soldiers set up their perimeter. Their faces were immobile and, unlike the Guardsmen’s, betrayed no politics, only duty. As they marched in, the clear, sharp sound of their boots clacking on the street was a reminder of their professionalism. When the segregationists in the street protested, the paratroopers turned out to be very different from the National Guard soldiers who had so recently been their pals. The men of the 101st fixed their bayonets and placed them right at the throats of the protesters, quickly moving them out of the school area.

101st-bayonets.png

101st Airborne Officer Escort

The following morning, troops from the 327th surrounded Little Rock Central High School while a small detachment went to pick up nine neatly dressed black teenagers. An Army officer came to Daisy Bate’s house, where the children had gathered, and saluted her. “Mrs. Bates,” he said, “We’re ready for the children. We will return them to your home at three-thirty.” It was, said Minniejean Brown, one of the nine, an exhilarating moment. “For the first time in my life I felt like an American citizen,” she later told Mrs. Bates. After a short drive, the soldiers and their charges reached the school. Staring straight ahead the youngsters formed a single file and, surrounded by some of America’s best soldiers carrying rifles with bayonets fixed, they marched through a jeering crowd into the school to begin the fall term after two previous failed attempts. As the nation and much of the world watched, Central High School became desegregated. The 14th amendment to the United States Constitution, which mandates that no American will be deprived of the equal protection of the laws, had been upheld.

central.jpg

S10609-lg.jpg

Don’t Mess With Us – These Kids Are Going to School!

150px-US_101st_Airborne_Division_patch.p

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @7.1.4    5 years ago

That's better than I could have stated it.

But let us look at it as it was presented , use of government troops , to enforce , gun control or gun confiscation.

Personally I don't think those in military uniform would accept or follow orders for confiscation , they come from the very people that they would have to subject to the confiscation and likely would end up having to use deadly force on, so there in lies the grit , deciding if sufficient numbers would actually follow that order and fire on fellow citizens to effect that order if need be. 

But that is something each individual military member would decide for themselves if they ever had to choose.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    5 years ago

Florida, in every single graphic has a LOT of red. I visited Florida a few years back, I couldn't get back to the USA fast enough. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

My thanks to Sandy for moderating this seed while I was sleeping. I guess I should have locked it, knowing that it would most likely be a controversial topic, but on the other hand I thought the NT membership was generally mature and restrained in their comments.  In that regard I thank you all. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

There is something to take into consideration when drawing comparisons.  These figures and maps are for ONLY THE FIRST HALF OF 2019.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12  MrFrost    5 years ago

And as if on cue....

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
12.1  livefreeordie  replied to  MrFrost @12    5 years ago

A rifle he had illegally.  He was another nutcase mixing his love of being Iranian while hating whites, Jews, and Hispanics, AND posting white anarchist material. One very sick 19 year old

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  livefreeordie @12.1    5 years ago

how was the rifle illegal? at 19 he could start buying them at 18 , legal age to buy long guns is still 18 on the federal level, and he doesn't even have to buy them in state , they just have to conform to state laws  when he brings them back INTO the state.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
12.1.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.1.1    5 years ago

Not in CA

Must be 21 to purchase any firearm. An exemption is made for those 18-20 years old who possess a valid hunting license to purchase long guns.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  livefreeordie @12.1.2    5 years ago

Thing is he didn't buy it in Ca as we are finding out , he bought it in Nevada  Age for purchasing long guns there is 18 not 21 So he didn't break any law in Ca about purchase age , now , was the AK he bought illegal in Ca ? yes  it was under current law .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  XDm9mm @12.1.4    5 years ago

good points , what it will come down to is where he used as a place of residence , his parents in Ca , or his brothers in Nevada right across the state line. still more to be learned as you said.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.2  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @12    5 years ago

Links not working for me.   What's it say?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Heading for the bedroom now, so as I said above and complimented everyone for their restraint and maturity, I will rely on that and not lock this seed for the night. If I'm proven wrong, then when I wake up I'll lock it for good. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
14  livefreeordie    5 years ago

Not in CA

Must be 21 to purchase any firearm. An exemption is made for those 18-20 years old who possess a valid hunting license to purchase long guns.