╌>

Federal regulators want more information about chemicals in e-cigarettes

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  tig  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

Federal regulators want more information about chemicals in e-cigarettes
The request comes after a Yale study revealed chemicals in Juul e-cigarettes may cause lung irritation.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Erika Edwards

Federal regulators are asking for   public input   on chemicals found in electronic cigarettes and e-liquid.

On Friday, the Food and Drug Administration announced that the agency is seeking comments on a proposal that would add 19 chemicals to the already established list of harmful ingredients found in tobacco products.

"As our oversight and scientific knowledge of tobacco products has evolved, so too should our requirements for manufacturers and importers to provide information about the chemicals or chemical compounds in their products that cause or could cause harm to users and nonusers," acting FDA Commissioner Ned Sharpless said in a statement.

This includes compounds created when e-liquid is heated, forming a vapor that users breathe into their lungs.

The move comes just days after a Yale analysis identified chemicals called acetals in some flavors of a specific brand of e-cigarette: Juul.

Those chemicals, the researchers said, may be especially irritating to the lungs and cause damage when inhaled. However, the study did not test for these effects in humans or animals.

A spokesperson for Juul dismissed the Yale team's lab research, writing in a statement, "The researchers' hypothetical exposure analysis failed to take into account real world conditions, including realistic human exposure to vapor products like Juul."

One of the chemicals that the FDA is considering adding to the list is diacetyl, which gives products a butter-like flavor.

"We’re seeing a growing number of studies highlighting that e-liquid flavors are   particularly problematic ," said Thomas Ylioja, a tobacco cessation expert at National Jewish Health in Denver.

The FDA considers artificial flavors used in food as "generally recognized as safe," but less is known about the long-term effects of inhaling aerosols containing these flavors.

"What hasn’t been done are tests to see whether or not they remain safe for consumption when you heat them up to a temperature an electronic cigarette is using," Ylioja said.

E-cigarette manufacturers do not have to list all of their ingredients on product labels, but are   required   to give the FDA information about the levels of the "harmful and potentially harmful constituents" found in their products.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1  Enoch    5 years ago

Please keep us posted as evidence comes in.

Thanks.

Enoch.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Juuling was addressed at our high school's parents' meeting for student athletes.  The amount of nicotine alone is worrying - many brands aren't tested, and those that are often have far more nicotine than cigarettes. 

One of my son's teammates has been suspended twice for Juuling.  One of his best buds is considering taking it up as an alternative to smoking - he doesn't smoke yet, but his parents and older sis do, so he figures he might as well jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    5 years ago

Doesn't smoke yet????

Then why start???

As a smoker for 40 years, I advise him to never start and that includes vaping

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    5 years ago

I know, and I've talked to him about it.  He just seems to have this fatalistic attitude toward it, like it's inevitable that he'll start smoking or at least vaping.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    5 years ago

Many, many people have managed to go their whole lives without ever vaping, smoking, or touching tobacco of any kind.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    5 years ago

I know.  I'm one of them, despite most of my extended family having smoked.  Tobacco smoke always gave me a headache, so I was never tempted in the least.

This young man, though - I think he's seen his mom decide that gaining weight when she stopped wasn't worth stopping, and he's struggling with his weight.  His older sister took it up as a sort of rebellion against their parents, who objected, and he was young and unwise enough to see that as cool.  It's like he thinks that he's proving he'll do as they do, not as they say.  Self-destructive, like a lot of rebellious kids.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I have a nephew who is 43 years old and has been smoking since his early 20's.  He has 4 kids age 8 and under and has decided to quit smoking. He "vapes" as a way to wean himself off smoking and says he hasnt smoked a cigarette in 6 months. 

I dont like e cigarettes either, but if they can help people like my nephew quit smoking I will tolerate it. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.3  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago
I dont like e cigarettes either, but if they can help people like my nephew quit smoking I will tolerate it. 

What worries me about vaping is that I suspect the vaper gets more addicted to the nicotine than the smoker due to the easier (and seemingly safer) infusion system.   The nicotine addiction is the nasty culprit here.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

"The request comes after a Yale study revealed chemicals in Juul e-cigarettes may cause lung irritation."

Besides lungs needing just un-irritating air, which "Foreign substance" doesn't irritate "Lungs" ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

How much did this "Study" cost again ?

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    5 years ago

I replaced a leaking hose on my jeep, later went in Sheetz and looked out the window and there is a big cloud in front of it.  Wasn't a blown radiator hose, there were 2 guys at the outside table vaping up a storm,  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @7    5 years ago

I see people vape while driving, and I don't even know how they can see.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    5 years ago

LOL! Those things create more of a cloud than a regular cigarette. I've been behind people who are vaping and I think their car is on fire

At least vape smells better

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  seeder  TᵢG    5 years ago

Remember how these things were sold?    'Just water vapor'     Well that is a load of bullshit.

Another thing, what is the value to the user of having nicotine in this product?   

I can see using nicotine in a graduated sequence to wean nicotine users off nicotine products.   That would benefit the user.

Seems (of course) the nicotine in these products exists primarily to keep the addicts addicted.   As if it is not possible to create a vape experience that does not include nicotine.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @8    5 years ago

Apparently, there are nicotine-free Juul pods, or so I've heard.

But, yeah, how does that get you customer loyalty?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    5 years ago
Apparently, there are nicotine-free Juul pods, or so I've heard.

Now see that would be a good thing (at least once they get closer to water vapor and away from harmful chemicals).

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    5 years ago

An article on low or no nicotine vaping.