╌>

Europe Poised to Put Warning Labels on Jewish-Made Products

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  5 years ago  •  40 comments

Europe Poised to Put Warning Labels on Jewish-Made Products
Legal decision reminiscent of Holocaust-era boycotts of Jews

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The European Union is poised to mandate that Israeli products made in contested territories carry consumer warning labels, a decision that could trigger American anti-boycott laws and open up what legal experts describe as a "Pandora's box" of litigation, according to multiple sources involved in the legal dispute who spoke to the Washington Free Beacon.

The Advocate General of the European Court of Justice recently issued non-binding opinion arguing that EU law requires Israeli-made products to be labeled as coming from "settlements" and "Israeli colonies."

The decision was seen as a major win for supporters of the anti-Semitic Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement, or BDS, which seeks to wage economic warfare on Israel and its citizens. Pro-Israel activists, as well as the Jewish businesses involved in the legal dispute, see the decision as an ominous warning sign that they say is reminiscent of Holocaust-era boycotts of Jewish businesses.

With the EU court's 15 judge panel now poised to issue its own binding judgment in the case, legal experts are warning that a potential decision mandating such labeling could pave the way for goods from any disputed territory to receive such treatment. The decision also could trigger U.S. anti-boycott laws meant to stop Israeli-made goods from being singled out for unfair treatment on the international market.

Brooke Goldstein, a human rights lawyer and executive director of the Lawfare Project, which is involved in the legal dispute, described the EU court's initial decision as "frankly outrageous."

"The Advocate General's opinion said that goods produced by Muslims are to be labeled from ‘Palestine,' and goods produced by Jews labeled as coming from ‘Israeli colonies,' Goldstein said. "Both people are living in the same geographic location, and yet Jewish goods are being treated differently."

"Could the discrimination be any clearer?" she asked. "If the EU Court justifies this bigotry it will degrade the rule of law in Europe and it will undoubtedly have many unintended consequences for EU traders. My understanding is that certain consumer protection agencies have already filed complaints to demand the similar labeling of goods from other disputed territories. This labeling fiasco will turn into a nightmare for EU importers of goods from any and all countries involved in territorial disputes. I trust the court will maintain that goods must be labeled indicating the geographical location of origin, and reject the push to politicize labeling."

The legal dispute first began after France passed a law mandating that products made in the West Bank territory of Israel be labeled as coming from an "Israeli colony," a label not applied to any other products across the globe.

The term "Israeli colony" is not legally required to be applied under EU law and was seen as overly burdensome by Israeli business leaders.

Following the French decision, the Israeli Psagot winery filed a lawsuit alleging unlawful discrimination against Jewish companies. That lawsuit eventually made its way to Europe's highest court, the European Court of Justice.

That court now appears poised to affirm the advocate general's opinion mandating that Israeli goods be labeled in a fashion that opponents say is unfair and anti-Semitic in nature.

"I am not a psychologist, so I can't tell you what the motives are behind Europe's targeting of Jewish-owned businesses. Perhaps it is anti-Semitism rearing its ugly head again, perhaps it is blind ignorance, or even a desire to do the right thing," Yaakov Berg, CEO of the Psagot winery, told the Free Beacon. "Regardless, the application of the current EU trade directive to label goods from Jewish producers, and only Jewish producers in the West Bank is discriminatory and illegal."

Berg maintains that Jewish businesses should not be penalized for policies enacted by the Israeli government that European leaders object to.

"We are not the Israeli government," he said. "Psagot winery is not responsible for Israeli government policy. But because we are Jewish owners of a winery in a beautiful and hotly contested land, we are being targeted and punished. And we are being punished precisely because we are Jews living in Judea where we have every right to be, as do the Palestinian Arabs and Druze and the Christians."

"No one should be discriminated against because of their religion," Berg said. "If you support a Palestinian state, would you support a Judenrein state of Palestine? That seems to be what the EU is proposing when it says Jewish businesses are illegal in Palestine but Muslim businesses are not, in the same location! Such a de facto boycott of Jewish products, the likes of which we have not seen since Nazi Germany, would definitely run afoul of U.S. law."

Yohan Benizri, a lawyer representing Psagot, warned that a decision affirming the labels for Jewish-made goods could open the door to other types of overly onerous labeling.

"One doesn't need legal training to recognize the unintended consequences of the EU adopting a policy of politicized labeling," Benizri said. "If the EU Court rules that geographic location is not enough, and that EU law mandates every product coming from either a ‘disputed territory' or a country with ‘objectionable social policies' be labeled as such, then EU markets will be thrown into chaos."

"Can you imagine a situation where plastic cups imported from China must be labeled ‘this country has a one-child policy,' or gas from Russia must be labeled, ‘This is gas from a country that illegally occupies Crimea,' or products from the United States require the labeling ‘the U.S. engages in capital punishment and is building an illegal border wall?' Product labels will have become political billboards depending on the whims of EU politicians, and every EU importer will shoulder a liability for not complying with arbitrary labeling laws."

A State Department spokesman told the Free Beacon that the Trump administration has been clear in its objection to the BDS movement and efforts to single out the Jewish state.

"The State Department is aware of this particular issue," the official said. "The administration's position strongly opposing all efforts to boycott, delegitimize, or isolate Israel is well-known."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Man - sounds like they're getting ready to rumble in the jungle.

Who dreams up this shyte???

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago

I'm all for honest labeling for everything.  If you don't want to support Israel it makes it easier but, at the same time, if you want to support Israel it makes that easier too.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

"Can you imagine a situation where plastic cups imported from China must be labeled ‘this country has a one-child policy"

The author should do a little more research.  The one child mandate ended at least 3 years ago.  Two are now allowed.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    5 years ago

Paula - don't think the child policy is ANYWHERE near the topic.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1    5 years ago

The statement was was in the article you seeded.  I merely pointed out the inaccuracy of the statement by the author.  I have no intent of responding to any comments in response to mine.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    5 years ago

Alright - how 'bout, do "Brown shirts" bring any memories of suppression/aggression/discrimination to you?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.2    5 years ago

Now who is going off topic.  I point out a mere discrepancy and get insulted for it.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.3    5 years ago

I agree with you Paula, it was an inaccuracy in the article and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out.  In fact farmers in China have ALWAYS had the right to have more children.  I believe the Chinese government has come to realize in any event that even a limit of only two is a mistake.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.3    5 years ago

My comment is 2.1.2 goes directly to what the author is implying - Europeans apparently don't like the Jewish people and will find ways to ostracize them in new and different ways.

No, you weren't insulted - I was just pointing out that the "Plot" of the thread deals with the implication/potential discrimination of the Jewish people, not the Chinese birth rates.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.5    5 years ago

Europeans hating Jews is nothing new.

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1.7  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.6    5 years ago
Europeans hating Jews is nothing new.

No, it isn't but it does make me wonder how long it will be until Krystalsnacht.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    5 years ago
Two are now allowed .

And that is sooo much better??  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    5 years ago

Same comment Greg - stay on the topic of the thread.

Thanks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    5 years ago

Yes it is, Greg, and in fact many are having more than two children.  Now would you like a list of historical wrongs and mistakes that YOUR country has made?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    5 years ago

Ridiculous decision by the EU.

Seems infested with anti-Semites.

Maybe one day saner, wiser heads will prevail.

Should be interesting to see if any of our members defend this bit of prejudice.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago

I find the whole thing a little ironic. You can't hardly say the word "nazi" in Europe. You can't even legally display a swastika in Germany. I get that, but it's ok to scapegoat and demonize Israel. It makes me wonder what the modern European complaint is with nazis if it doesn't include the demonization and scapegoating of Jews. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago

California requires nutty information on all consumer goods and has a separate emissions standard.......

where is the uproar?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    5 years ago

A little ironic?

One could suppose that the EU has been trying to get the Israeli diamond industry to stop selling and in effect

"diamond laundering" blood diamonds since the Kimbereley Process started in 2003. 

The Israeli diamond industry is notoriously discriminate against non Jews and the industry basiclly just gives lip service to the UN and the KP.

One can assume that some of the EU's efforts are retaliatory in nature for Israel's aiding and abetting the De Beers and Steinmetz Group.

The Steinmetz Diamond Group, one of Tiffany’s biggest suppliers and a “unique partner” of Sotheby’s Diamonds , through the Steinmetz Foundation, funds and supports a Unit of the Givati Brigade of the Israeli military. The Givati Brigade is guilty of the massacre of at least 21 members of the Samouni family in Gaza – a war crime documented by the UNHRC and other human rights organisations.

Other world-leading jewellers including Harry Winston, Cartier, Ritani, Blue Nile, Zales, Brilliant Earth, Graff Diamonds, Chow Tai Fook, Chopard and many more, sell diamonds from Israel which are tarnished with Palestinian blood – one of the most recent victim being a 15 year old child, Wajih Wajdi al-Ramahi, shot in the back and killed by the Givati Brigade on 7 th December.  He was the 26 th Palestinian to be killed by the Israeli military this year.

So it goes a bit deeper than just labeling.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    5 years ago
"where is the uproar?"

Who are they discriminating against?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    5 years ago

Every company that California alone deems to have a product that could even be remotely a slight health risk.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    5 years ago
California requires nutty information on all consumer goods and has a separate emissions standard.......
where is the uproar?

Do the same standards apply to all, or are Jews or Israel singled out for special treatment?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    5 years ago

As a life-long resident of California, I have been uproaring for years, but Sacramento doesn't care.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    5 years ago
where is the uproar?

Drowned out by the cheering.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago
include the demonization and scapegoating of Jews. 

Demonizing Israel does not equate to demonizing and scapegoating of all Jews.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @4.2    5 years ago

I can understand your making that comment since it proves that you are  very good at demonizing Israel.  Putting Israel to a double standard is antisemitism in accordance with the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of antisemitism which has been adopted by most of the civilized nations of the world, including America.

"Applying double standards by requiring of [Israel] a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation."

The report you quoted about the diamond industry makes note of the deaths of Palestinians, but does it, to be fair, mention whether such could be the result of the collateral damage that happens during a war (Does America have such clean hands? Ever watch the true story movie Casualties of War?)  NO.  Does it mention the deaths of Israelis at the hands of Palestinians?  NO, such as the murder of an innocent Israeli teenager recently? NO.  Did it mention that the 15 year old boy was shot during the Hamas-provoked riot with Gazans trying to break through the border? (So American border guards have never killed anyone trying to break through the border.)  NO.  Does it mention any diamond producers other than Jews?  NO

Please take note, S.P. (and others who are always so quick to accuse me), that I did NOT call you an anti-Semite.  I just pointed out what the International Holocaust Memorial Alliance said, and that your comment may well be considered by their standard.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.1    5 years ago

I could care less how many times you trot out the IHRA definitions and excuse everything Israel does.

You called me an anti semite by their standards.

How brave of you.

Do you give dance lessons also?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.3  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.2    5 years ago

Play nice, OK?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.2    5 years ago
You called me an anti semite by their standards.

Can you quote him, please? I see no such remark.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @4.2    5 years ago
Demonizing Israel does not equate to demonizing and scapegoating of all Jews.

Why would anyone demonize Israel?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.3    5 years ago

Sure, lets stay on topic.

The stupid labeling issue is in retaliation for Israeli policies across the board.

The dispute over blood diamonds is relatively recent.

The way certain Israeli non Jewish citizens are treated is ongoing for over 70 years.

On the evening July 22 the Army moved into Sur Bahir in East Jerusalem and began demolishing 7 apartment buildings

owned and occupied by non Jews.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/canada-must-condemn-israeli-demolition-of-palestinian-homes/5684456?utm_campaign=magnet&utm_source=article_page&utm_medium=related_articles

If you think being a minority in America has it's disadvantages, be thankful you do not live in Israel.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.7  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.6    5 years ago

How brave of you.

Do you give dance lessons also?

Sure - let's stay on topic.

Yup - as a Native American in the U.S. - there are plenty of disadvantages - more so than in Israel as a Jew IMHO.  But, that's not part of the article/seed/thread, is it?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.2    5 years ago

Yes, I "trot out" the IHRA definitions as often as they are applicable, and I DO NOT excuse everything Israel does.  I criticized the IDF when they blindfolded a Palestinian girl who was just about to graduate from a West Bank university and drove her back to Gaza, and I criticized the Israeli Judiciary for not listening to her plea, and for treating Palestinian youths differently than Israeli youths, and I criticized the settlers for uprooting Palestinian fruit trees, and for arson of a mosque, and I criticized the Haradim for spitting on Christian priests, a and for harassing young schoolgirls, and I criticized Netanyahu for his arrogance and I criticized the Israeli government for their incompetence in public relations....

I think the point here is that Europe treats Israel differently, more critically, than it does other countries that are more deserving of their ire, and you, for the fact that you buy into it.  I assume you support BDS as well. and if you don't, then it would be interesting to know why you don't.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.9  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.8    5 years ago
I assume you support BDS as well. and if you don't, then it would be interesting to know why you don't.

I support any American's right to decide for themselves and act accordingly.

What I do not support is my federal or state government telling me what or who I can or cannot boycott, or that I would have to sign a document promising not to participate in a certain event in order to gain a contract with said government entity.

That is as anti American as I can imagine and my Governor signed such a law declaring that anti Israeli policies were anti Texas policies and were now illegal (2017).  Fuck that nonsense.

BDS is a joke, it has had little to no economic impact on Israel and may have actually benefited certain sectors.

According to our calculations, based on the information we obtained from the companies, the cumulative proportion of economic damage since 2010 was 0.004%. To put it more colorfully, if the Israeli economy's yearly income were to average NIS 1 million, the damage from the sanctions would have been NIS 40 - a completely negligible amount.

The activists demonstrating in front of the store in London left after two days when journalistic interest waned. After they left, the number of buyers at the store was four times the number on an ordinary day. These were local non-Jewish residents who liked Israel and came especially to buy at the store in order to demonstrate their sympathy for Israel.
At the same meeting with senior staff at the Ministry of Strategic Affairs, they said that the power of the BDS movement existed mainly in the publications of the Israeli press. This was a different problem - probably a matter of our culture - the emotional and panicked response by Israelis to everything, but that could also be one of the indications of our power.

If I want to upgrade to a new smart phone with Israeli chips in it, so be it, if it's the best phone I can afford.

I really don't care.

Instead of giving them press attention like denying BDS individuals and groups from entering Israel as announced in January 2018, they should be thanking the BDS people.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.9    5 years ago

BDS has been declared by Germany (of all places) and Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as being antisemitic. 

I wonder why the EU doesn't demand that labels be put on California wines indicating that the grapes were grown on lands stolen from the Native Americans.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.11  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.10    5 years ago

Stolen by whom?  Spain?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.11    5 years ago
Stolen by whom? Spain?

Irrelevant to the post.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.11    5 years ago

Okay, you want to get picky.  Maple syrup from Vermont, Cranberries and Cranberry Juice from Maine and Massachusetts, Rum from Jamaica (conquered by the British)...

No labels on those - after all, they're not Jewish products.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.13    5 years ago
No labels on those - after all, they're not Jewish products.

Bingo--and that is the whole point.

Some will pretend that it isn't anti-Semitism--but we know the truth.