Peter Fonda, star of 'Easy Rider,' dies at age 79

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  32 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Chelsea J. Carter and Sarah Moon, CNN, August 16, 2019

Peter Fonda as Wyatt in "Easy Rider."

(CNN) Actor and director Peter Fonda, who rose to fame with his role in "Easy Rider," died Friday, his manager, Alan Somers, told CNN on Friday. He was 79.

Fonda died of respiratory failure due to lung cancer at his Los Angeles home, the family said in an emailed statement. He was surrounded by family.

"It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away," the family said. "...In one of the saddest moments of or lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts."

Fonda was a member of the Hollywood powerhouse Fonda family, as the son of legendary actor Henry Fonda and the brother of actress and activist Jane Fonda. His daughter is actress Bridget Fonda.

Fonda broke out as a star in his own right with his turn in the 1969 blockbuster "Easy Rider," which marked its 50th anniversary this year. The film also starred Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper.

Film critic Roger Ebert called the film "one of the rallying-points of the late '60s," saying it was a buddy picture that celebrated "sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, and the freedom of the open road."

"It did a lot of repeat business while the sweet smell of pot drifted through theaters," Ebert wrote of the film in 2004.

Fonda was nominated for an Academy Award for the screenplay.

His last tweet on August 9   referenced the film: "Easy Rider' at 50: How they put together that groundbreaking soundtrack."

The family asked for privacy to grieve, but said they wished for people to "celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life"

"In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom," the family said, referencing one of Fonda's lines in "Easy Rider."

Fonda was also nominated for a best actor Academy Award for his turn in "Ulee's Gold" in 1998.

BUZZ NOTE:  Holy smoke (a fitting expression in this case) I forgot to say that there is a video as part of this seed that I couldn't post, of Fonda being interviewed.  To watch it, click the "SEEDED CONTENT" link above, or this link:

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Easy Rider was the "anthem" movie of a whole generation.  Although the movie also starred Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda was the real star, and deemed to be a "god" by that movie's appreciative audience.

The last time I watched Peter Fonda was in the movie Wild Hogs, where he tells the "would be" bikers to "Lose the watch".

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Superbowl commercial, 2017.

Wish you could see youtubes, Buzz

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @1.1    5 years ago

Yeah, unfortunately the two NT members who were able to convert them into videos I could watch are no longer around.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  sixpick  replied to  sixpick @1.1.2    5 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sixpick @1.1.2    5 years ago

WOW!  Thank you, sixpick.  You came out of retirement just to help me out.  Now THAT'S what friends are for. 

Unfortunately, though, those MP4 methods didn't work for me.   jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Could not be opened on Firefox or Opera.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1.5  Enoch  replied to  sixpick @1.1.3    5 years ago

Dear Friend Sixpick: I hope you and yours are all doing well, being fulfilled and are happy.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sixpick @1.1.6    5 years ago

OKAY!  SUCCESS!  Thanks sixpick.  Great Commercial.  Makes me think of the second Major League movie, where Sheen arrived at the field in a car instead of a Harley-Davidson.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.7    5 years ago

Well, that's great.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  sixpick  replied to  Enoch @1.1.5    5 years ago

I didn't forget you Enoch while I was trying to put the video up for Buzz.  You were on my mind the entire time.  I hope you are doing well.  So fortunate to have known you.  Don't let it go to your head, but I think you are one of the finest people I've ever known or let's just say, since I have never actually met you in person, I feel like I've known you all my life.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1.10  Enoch  replied to  sixpick @1.1.9    5 years ago

Dear Friend Sixpick: Many thanks for your kind words.

They mean a lot to me.

Particularly because the come from you.

You are a person who has won my respect, admiration and warmth.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enoch.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

He was one of the greats, that's for sure. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Steppenwolf, Born to be Wild.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  pat wilson    5 years ago
All he wanted was to be free
And that's the way it turned out to be
Flow river flow, let your waters wash down
Take me from this road to some other town
from
Ballad of Easy Rider
Song by The Byrds
God speed Peter Fonda

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @3    5 years ago

Yes, God speed, RIP, a symbol now gone.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The Trip (1967) is a cult film released by American International Pictures, directed by Roger Corman, written by Jack Nicholson, and shot on location in and around Los Angeles, including on top of Kirkwood in Laurel Canyon, Hollywood Hills, and near Big Sur, California in 1967. Peter Fonda stars as a young television commercial director, Paul Groves. The Trip also features Dennis Hopper as Groves' dealer Max, who appears here with Fonda in a precursor role to Easy Rider (1969). Contrary to their characters in Easy Rider, though—and for obvious reasons—Fonda's Paul Groves acts paranoid and anxious in The Trip, while Hopper's Max appears calm and collected. Corman wildly edited some scenes for The Trip, particularly the exterior night scenes on the Sunset Strip, to simulate the LSD user's racing mind. The Trip features photographic effects, body paint on seminude actresses to lend atmosphere, and colorful patterned lighting, during sex scenes and in a club, which imitates LSD-induced hallucinations. Finally, Corman included inscrutable fantasy sequences including one where Fonda is faced with revolving pictures of Che Guevara, Sophia Loren and Khalil Gibran in a wildly lit room. For no apparent reason, a midget riding a merry-go-round in the background blurts "Bay of Pigs!!" The story plays over a musical backdrop of improvisational jazz, blues rock of the band The Electric Flag, plus an exotic musical score with an organ and horn-drenched theme.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

Very many years ago I watched that film although perhaps due to a self-inflicted haze I can't remember a moment of it.  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    5 years ago
self-inflicted haze

Hilarious!  Surprising, but hilarious just the same.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.1    5 years ago

I took FULL advantage of the 60s, Sister - lived every minute of them.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

RIP Peter Fonda. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

Ulee's Gold was his best role ever.  He should have gotten an oscar for it.  RIP Sir.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
9  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Brother Buzz: We lost a great performer.

We still have his body of work.

Most sincere condolences to his family and all close to him.

P&AB.

Enoch.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
10  livefreeordie    5 years ago

The Fonda’s are/were a great family of actors but with terrible political beliefs.  Loved Easy Rider when it came out. I was in the military at the time

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  livefreeordie @10    5 years ago

That is so, but I did not post this article to be a political sounding board, as it appears to have become. I posted it as a lover of the movies, and thought of it only on an artistic level.