Harry Potter Books Removed from Nashville School Library on the Advice of Exorcists

Via:  freefaller  •  3 months ago  •  109 comments

Harry Potter Books Removed from Nashville School Library on the Advice of Exorcists

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Harry Potter might have been able to defeat Voldemort, but he was no match for the administrators at St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville.

The Roman Catholic parish school — which educates students in pre-K through 8th grade — has removed all seven volumes of J.K. Rowling ‘s popular Harry Potter series from its library, the Nashville Tennessean reports, due to its content.

In an email obtained by the paper, the school’s pastor Rev. Dan Reehil said that he consulted with several exorcists in the United States and in Rome before coming to the decision. All recommended removing the books, he wrote.

These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception ,” Reehil wrote, according to the Nashville Tennessean . “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

School representatives did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

Rebecca Hammel, the superintendent of schools for the Catholic Diocese of Nashville, told the Nashville Tennessean  that Reehil has the ultimate say as to whether the books stay or not.

“Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” Hammel said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.”

Hammel added that other schools in the diocese still house the books, and that parents are children’s primary teachers.

“Should parents deem that this or any other media to be appropriate we would hope that they would just guide their sons and daughters to understand the content through the lens of our faith,” Hammel said. “We really don’t get into censorship in such selections other than making sure that what we put in our school libraries is age-appropriate materials for our classrooms.”

Rowling’s Harry Potter books — which were published between 1997 and 2007, and spawned a series of successful films — have been banned before.

According to the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF), the  Potter books topped the list of most challenged books in 1999 and 2000, Publisher’s Weekly reported

Parents and others have slammed the books for their “alleged occult/Satanic and anti-family themes, and violence,”  Publisher’s Weekly said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Freefaller
1  seeder  Freefaller    3 months ago

Let's see if I've got this straight, someone who believes in a fantasy is banning a fantasy book based on the advice who believe they have fantasy abilities.

Honestly you can't make this stuff up, lol 

MUVA
1.1  MUVA  replied to  Freefaller @1    3 months ago

I would ban it because it is crap not for religious reasons.

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

wfe

cjcold
1.1.2  cjcold  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago
I would ban it

That says everything about you that I need to know.

Freefaller
1.1.3  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

I believe you.  It's a good thing for the millions of kids who enjoyed the books that you completely lack any ability to do so.

FLYNAVY1
1.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

Dude.....The HP series taught an entire generation of kids the enjoyment of reading for fun.

You'd have to go back to the Lord of the Rings series to find something as impactful.  Then possibly back to the Nancy Drew or the Hardy boys before that.

[deleted]

cjcold
1.1.5  cjcold  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.4    3 months ago

Grew up with the Hardy boys series. Spent time with the Happy Hollister's as well. Then I found Heinlein and everything changed. As a navy man he distinguished himself as a person you didn't mess with.

Parked in front of his house in Butler Mo. once to do some paperwork (and hopefully absorb something). The owner came out and invited me in for breakfast. I sat in the same booth (yes the original breakfast table is a booth) that RAH sat in as a child. Goose bumps and shivers. 

Dean Moriarty
1.1.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  cjcold @1.1.5    3 months ago

I went from Dick and Jane to Playboy. I don’t remember much between the two. 

SteevieGee
1.1.7  SteevieGee  replied to  cjcold @1.1.5    3 months ago

[Removed]

katrix
1.1.8  katrix  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

The CoC prohibits me from saying what I think about people who would ban books.

Why do so many right wing folks want to legislate their preferences onto everyone else? Small government, my ass.

Tessylo
1.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

[Removed]

Krishna
1.1.10  Krishna  replied to  MUVA @1.1    3 months ago

I totally agree-- free speech sucks!

(Freedom of expression should be banned!!!)

The government must tell us what can we can be allowed to read.

(That way We can all work together to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!)

Krishna
1.1.11  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.4    3 months ago

By chance, have you participated in book burnings that included the likes of Huckleberry Finn, and Jules Verne?

He's probably a big fan of Trump and his puppetmaster Vladimir Putin!

(After all, Democracy sucks)

FLYNAVY1
1.1.12  FLYNAVY1  replied to  cjcold @1.1.5    3 months ago

Big Heinlein fan here too.  Ever read his address to the U.S. Naval Academy?

I guess the Vatican has come out in favor of the HP series as they do support good over evil, right over wrong, and high moral character.  Hell, Harry and gang celebrated Christmas....!

MUVA
1.1.13  MUVA  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.4    3 months ago

I like the hobbit and Hardy boys I don’t like Harry Potter books it isn’t personal by the way so why make it personal.

MUVA
1.1.14  MUVA  replied to  Krishna @1.1.10    3 months ago

I didn’t say anything about banning speech I made a joke about the fact I think Harry Potter books suck in my opinion that’s all.

MUVA
1.1.15  MUVA  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.9    3 months ago

No I tried reading them didn’t like the books that’s all a personal preference.

MUVA
1.1.16  MUVA  replied to  katrix @1.1.8    3 months ago

My personal preference doesn’t have anything to do with government It was joke for fucks sake.

MUVA
1.1.17  MUVA  replied to  cjcold @1.1.2    3 months ago

As does your comment.

MUVA
1.1.19  MUVA  replied to    3 months ago

I made the mistake of not liking something and making a joke I guess I should apologize NOT. 

MUVA
1.1.20  MUVA  replied to  katrix @1.1.8    3 months ago

I guess making a joke about Harry is a bridge to far sorry I upset you.

JBB
1.1.21  JBB  replied to  MUVA @1.1.20    3 months ago

It was you thinking it would be okay to ban a popular book just because you personally do not like it is what caused the reaction. As to funny? Finding any angle to be contrary is not funny. It is just being knee jerk argumentative. What do you expect? A parade? Roses?  

Jack_TX
1.1.22  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @1.1.21    3 months ago
It was you thinking it would be okay to ban a popular book just because you personally do not like it is what caused the reaction.

No.  It was people failing to understand sarcastic humor that caused the reaction. 

Now...it was a small joke and it wasn't terribly funny, but if you thought he meant he actually wanted to ban books, you need to log off and go think about your life.  Fucking hell, people.

It never ceases to disappoint me how some people spend so much time angry that they can't recognize a joke when it happens.

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.23  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.22    3 months ago
It was people failing to understand sarcastic humor that caused the reaction.

"I would ban it because it is crap not for religious reasons."

I didn't sense a lot of sarcasm in that statement, but I can accept he likely meant it as a bad joke. I would imagine he would have gotten similar responses from the religious conservative crowd if that had been his reply to suggestions that the bible be banned.

MUVA
1.1.24  MUVA  replied to  JBB @1.1.21    3 months ago

No I expect people to not take a joke as a personal insult when it wasn’t directed at you anyone on this site.

MUVA
1.1.25  MUVA  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.22    3 months ago

I thought it was a little funny.

MUVA
1.1.26  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.23    3 months ago

No I meant as a joke.

MUVA
1.1.27  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.23    3 months ago

Is the Bible available at schools?

MUVA
1.1.28  MUVA  replied to  JBB @1.1.21    3 months ago

That statement is funny coming from you.

Jack_TX
1.1.29  Jack_TX  replied to  MUVA @1.1.25    3 months ago
I thought it was a little funny.

It was a little funny.  Just not Dave Chappelle funny.  

The problem is the stupidity of people who can't recognize sarcasm from reality.

When I am elected president, such people will be banished to the Yukon in their underwear in January.

*sits back and waits for morons to fall into trap*

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.30  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MUVA @1.1.27    3 months ago
Is the Bible available at schools?

Do you truly believe the bible isn't available in this Catholic School? With all the incest, murder and condoning of slavery one might think it wouldn't be, but in this school I've no doubt it's not only available but required reading.

Jack_TX
1.1.31  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.23    3 months ago
I didn't sense a lot of sarcasm in that statement,

I guess it's good of you to admit that.

I would imagine he would have gotten similar responses from the religious conservative crowd if that had been his reply to suggestions that the bible be banned.

Almost certainly.  

Respectfully, you have just stated that your behavior was similar to that of a religious conservative.  I do hope you are not content operating at their intellectual level.

Trout Giggles
1.1.32  Trout Giggles  replied to  MUVA @1.1.16    3 months ago
My personal preference doesn’t have anything to do with government It was joke for fucks sake.

It's ok, I don't care for the Lord of The Rings series. But some of us have a hard time with your written word and weren't sure if you were joking or not.

Trout Giggles
1.1.33  Trout Giggles  replied to    3 months ago
There are a few curiosity-deficient minds here who advertise. 

How much do you charge for an ad?

Ender
1.1.34  Ender  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.4    3 months ago

The only ones I remember reading as a kid were the LOTRs, Hobbit books.

And of course Enders game.

MUVA
1.1.35  MUVA  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.32    3 months ago

I should have made it clear. I have 4 kids two loved the books two were into captain under pants and goose bumps.

MUVA
1.1.36  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.30    3 months ago

Is the bible available  in all public schools?

Trout Giggles
1.1.37  Trout Giggles  replied to  MUVA @1.1.36    3 months ago

The Bible was on the shelves in our school library.

MUVA
1.1.38  MUVA  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.37    3 months ago

Not to be cheeky what century was that?

Trout Giggles
1.1.39  Trout Giggles  replied to  MUVA @1.1.38    3 months ago

Ok, I laughed.

Back in the 70's...the 1970's not the 1870's.

Freefaller
1.1.40  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.37    3 months ago
The Bible was on the shelves in our school library.

Same here, both in elementary and highschool.  Just like any other book it was a research resource.

sandy-2021492
1.1.41  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.37    3 months ago

Mine, too.  So was the Quran.

SteevieGee
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Freefaller @1    3 months ago

Even the most hardcore Potter fans don't really believe they are real.

Freefaller
1.2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    3 months ago

Lol I don't know, I'm not going to say any of the spells just to avoid conjuring any evil spirits.  You know just to play it safe.

Krishna
1.2.2  Krishna  replied to  Freefaller @1.2.1    3 months ago

Lol I don't know, I'm not going to say any of the spells just to avoid conjuring any evil spirits.  You know just to play it safe.

Its really those Black cats you have to watch out for-- they're the real danger!

1stwarrior
1.2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Krishna @1.2.2    3 months ago

Yeah - I can tell.

Freefaller
1.2.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2.3    3 months ago

Lol the worst danger from that cat is it falling on the keyboard mid-email.

Drakkonis
1.2.5  Drakkonis  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    3 months ago

Not saying you're wrong, but I recall a few news stories about "Academies" based on the HP books, trying to make a go at it. And although not a news story, here's a link to one such academy. https://www.thewizardingacademy.com/ Who knows how real a kid thinks it is? 

Freedom Warrior
1.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Freefaller @1    3 months ago

I don’t see much to worry about there, all kinds of shit going on there to allow the children to become tools of the devil I suppose 

Freefaller
1.3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Freedom Warrior @1.3    3 months ago

I don't see much to worry about either, it was a rash decision that was quickly reversed and is just a funny story now.  Have a laugh about it.

Kathleen
2  Kathleen    3 months ago

Love the books and the movies.  Only an idiot would ban them.

Ed-NavDoc
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kathleen @2    3 months ago

Only idiots and hypocrites...

Gordy327
2.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    3 months ago

Or the willfully ignorant.

Ed-NavDoc
2.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.1    3 months ago

Agreed.

Krishna
2.2  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @2    3 months ago
Love the books and the movies.  Only an idiot would ban them.

Unfortunately you can run into all too many idiots on sites such as NT :-(

(Have you ever wondered how come social media sites seem to attract so many total morons...?)

katrix
2.2.1  katrix  replied to  Krishna @2.2    3 months ago
Have you ever wondered how come social media sites seem to attract so many total morons

Honestly, I think I've seen the stupidest people ever on social media. Maybe it just seems that way since I avoid people like that IRL.

Kathleen
2.2.2  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @2.2    3 months ago

It’s partly because they don’t have to confront people face to face.  Yes, I have seen many that can talk a ‘good game’ too.

cjfrommn
2.2.3  cjfrommn  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.2    3 months ago

yes you are exactly right.

they do know they can say anything on line but would not want to see the look of dissatisfaction on the faces of normal people that would not accept that b.s. they push on line if discussing some of these topics face to face. 

also they dont have to leave their comfort zone, they can sit at the computer behind closed doors and avoid real life events that occur to there fellow Americans daily. many display in there replies a mentality of "if it doesnt effect me then it cant be true or real". that crap gets old! 

sadly some social media along with much of reality t.v. promote fools and idiots by making them seem like winners. But clearly they are not but that is what is popular now, i wish it would fade away(like now)

Kathleen
2.2.4  Kathleen  replied to  cjfrommn @2.2.3    3 months ago

I know what you are referring to, and yes, it’s gets very old. Especially the relentless articles of the same crap over and over again. I was more less talking about the trolling. insults, body shaming, and ‘I gotcha’ attitude that I see all the time. Those are the people that are sitting behind their computers and phones with no courage to face whom they are speaking to.

Krishna
2.2.5  Krishna  replied to  katrix @2.2.1    3 months ago

Honestly, I think I've seen the stupidest people ever on social media.

I've had the same experience.

I have always wondered why.

Is it that social media sites such as NV and NT just attract an unusually high percentage of people who have always been unusually nasty or "mentally challenged" people? 

Or is it that most users are fairly normal folks when they start using social media but over time frequent users become affected by all the stupidity and nastiness and are thus changed by all the time they spend online?

Krishna
2.2.6  Krishna  replied to  katrix @2.2.1    3 months ago
Maybe it just seems that way since I avoid people like that IRL.

I have also had that experience.

In fact there are days when I logon in a great mood-- and by time I turn off my computer I am either angry..or depressed!

I starting in Internet discussion forms manynyears before I first logged on to NV. And when NV collapsed, I was starting my 11 year there!

But I wnet through periods where I had to take breaks because I couldn't take the nastiness..and the sheer stupidity. 

The longest break I total-- total abstinence from NV-- was a period of over a year (when I didn't logon even once!).

In fact, it was so ,long some people had forgotten who I was-- I was even "welcomed" a few times by people I had know who though I was a newcomer!

Kathleen
2.2.7  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @2.2.6    3 months ago

I use to get upset and angry a lot more then I do now. It’s simply not worth it. Unless we have some kind of get together, you will never see any of these people. There are a few, I am concerned about and really care for because we have been talking for a long time. Also others I am very fond of, but some I can do without. I have talked to some that are not on this site on the phone.  To be honest, I would like to meet some of you.

Freedom Warrior
2.3  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Kathleen @2    3 months ago

Aren’ those books sexist and misogynistic and all kinds of other social justice warrior shit 

Kavika
3  Kavika     3 months ago

I wonder if Father Damien Karras was consulted.

Talk about living in a parallel universe.

SteevieGee
4  SteevieGee    3 months ago

This is sad for the kids.  My kids loved the Harry Potter books.  They really got them reading. 

Kathleen
4.1  Kathleen  replied to  SteevieGee @4    3 months ago

My daughter read them and I would read them to her.  I saw friendship, love, responsibility and many other qualities in the books.

Split Personality
5  Split Personality    3 months ago
These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception ,” Reehil wrote, according to the Nashville Tennessean . “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

“Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” Hammel said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.

Two eggcellant reasons why after Baptism, my kids never saw the inside of a Catholic school until College.

JohnRussell
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @5    3 months ago
Two eggcellant reasons why after Baptism, my kids never saw the inside of a Catholic school until College.

Sounds like a sweeping generalization violation to me. The Catholic Church hasnt banned the Harry Potter books. 

Krishna
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @5    3 months ago
Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” Hammel said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.

Well they have to do something when their not trying to have sex with the choirboys...

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
5.2.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 months ago
Well they have to do something when their not trying to have sex with the choirboys..

They do confession. 

Parishioner: "Forgive me Father for i sinned, someone touched me inappropriately the other day"

Priest: "Where did he touch you?" "Did you enjoy it?" "What happened next"   Heavy breathing and slapping noises....

JohnRussell
5.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 months ago
Well they have to do something when their not trying to have sex with the choirboys...

Both 5.2 and 5.21 are coc violations (sweeping generalization) as they refer to a group (they) , Catholic priests as assumed child molesters.  

Both comments imply in general that catholic priests molest children. 

Catholic Church sexual abuse cases - Wikipedia

https:// en.wikipedia.org /wiki/ Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

The 4,392 priests who were accused amount to approximately 4% of the 109,694 priests in active ministry during that time.

Of these 4,392 , approximately: 56 percent had one reported allegation against them; 27 percent had two or three allegations against them; nearly 14 percent had four to nine allegations against them; 3 percent ( 149 priests ) had 10 or more allegations against them.

The overwhelming majority (96%) of Catholic priests have no involvement in the activity.  To use the general "they" in suggesting that priests are child sex abusers is a coc violation. 

Unfortunately the moderators have chose to not delete these comments, but delete anyone who makes a general comment about "Trump supporters". 

1stwarrior
6  1stwarrior    3 months ago

“The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

The books have been out there for 22 years and have sold millions of copies, yet, I have yet to see evil spirits being conjured by any of the public who have read and re-read and re-read any of the books.

sandy-2021492
7  sandy-2021492    3 months ago

The spells are real?  Accio never did get that bowl down from the top shelf for me, and if I'd known that alohomora would have opened my car door when I'd locked my keys inside, I could have saved a good bit of money otherwise spent on a locksmith.

I must be a Squib.

katrix
7.1  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    3 months ago

Unfortunately, my sister (a young Earther) never allowed her son to read these. Now in his early 20s, he's so thoroughly brainwashed he's probably runs screaming in horror if I showed him one of them.

cjcold
7.1.1  cjcold  replied to  katrix @7.1    3 months ago

Thought that I had something to say but forgot what it was. 

katrix
7.1.2  katrix  replied to  cjcold @7.1.1    3 months ago

That's because I put a Spell of Forgetfulness on you.

sandy-2021492
7.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @7.1    3 months ago

That's so sad - the Harry Potter books even got my "I hate reading" younger cousin reading voraciously.

Well, for seven books, anyway.

Tessylo
7.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @7.1.2    3 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
7.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.3    3 months ago

So somebody in my office today was telling anyone who'd listen that baptisms must be done by dunking the person being baptized forward, not backward.  It's biblical, apparently.

So I'm reminded that, unfortunately, a parochial school banning Harry Potter is just a tip of the crazy iceberg.

Buzz of the Orient
9  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago
“The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

Thanks for my first laugh of the day.

JohnRussell
10  JohnRussell    3 months ago
  This article is more than  16 years old

Catholic church stands up for Harry Potter

Tue 4 Feb 2003  08.29 EST First published on Tue 4 Feb 2003  08.29 EST

A Vatican spokesman has defended the  Harry Potter  books and films, saying they are consistent with Christian morals.

The Rev Peter Fleetwood, a member of the Vatican's council for culture, was speaking at the launch of a document warning of the dangers of "new age" spiritual beliefs to the Catholic faith. The draft document is designed to counter a perceived drift away from the church toward belief in crystals, feng shui and other practices not based in Christian teaching.

Asked whether the Harry Potter books fell into the same category, Mr Fleetwood said, "I don't see any, any problems in the  Harry Potter  series." He went on to say that the good v evil message of the books was consistent with Christian morality.

Countering suggestions from some evangelical groups that the tales of magic school add glamour to occult beliefs, he said, "I don't think there's anyone in this room who grew up without fairies, magic and angels in their imaginary world. They aren't bad. They aren't serving as a banner for an anti-Christian ideology.

"If I have understood well the intentions of Harry Potter's author, they help children to see the difference between good and evil. And she is very clear on this."

Finally, he said  JK Rowling  was "Christian by conviction, is Christian in her mode of living, even in her way of writing."

The fifth Harry Potter book, The Order of the Phoenix, is released on June 21, with the third film expected later this year.

Trout Giggles
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @10    3 months ago

I remember when the controversy first started about the HP books and it was the fundamentalist evangelicals that were getting their collective knickers in a twist over these books.

Kathleen
11  Kathleen    3 months ago

It’s not just about magic, and only uneducated religious fanatics see that it is. 

It Is ME
12  It Is ME    3 months ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

This is like Buying "Smooth" Peanut Butter, and then finding a "whole Nut" halfway through the jar !

That really SUCKS when that happens ! jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png

That's all I got ! jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
13  TᵢG    3 months ago

This gives insight into how people could burn others alive for being 'witches'.   In the past, those who had success treating the ill could wind up burned alive because some mistook success for witchcraft.   Others were murdered for conditions such as epilepsy.   

It is 2019 and there are those who actually believe that the incantations in a brilliant work of fiction could summon 'dark forces'.   

giphy.gif

Gordy327
13.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @13    3 months ago

That's the risk of a religious mentality.

devangelical
13.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @13    3 months ago

let those thumpers pass a book ban. then amend it to include books that glorify incest, pedophilia, rape, magic, and slavery. >poof< start collecting bibles.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
14  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    3 months ago

My Favorite fantasy book was the Communist manifesto by Karl Marx.

Krishna
14.1  Krishna  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @14    3 months ago
My Favorite fantasy book was the Communist manifesto by Karl Marx.

Well the Communist Manifesto actually did contain "real spells"-- after all it really did  move millions to take actions!

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
14.1.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Krishna @14.1    3 months ago

Correct, it is largely responsible for the butchering of 92 Million in the 20th century. The fantasy was that a Utopian government could emerge from the Proletarian dictatorship.

cjfrommn
15  cjfrommn    3 months ago

well i just happened to be changing channels and noticed a harry potter movie on and stopped. I recall thinking to myself , wow this group of stories were wonderful for my children.  And i just see these type of stories and really think those are special type folks, what piss poor existence they must have in there day to day lives!

XDm9mm
16  XDm9mm    3 months ago

And this is important why?

It's a private religious school, and as such can approve or ban whatever they want.

Personally, I think it's nuts, but if that's what the Diocese boss wants, he's the boss.

It doesn't stop any kid from getting the books at the local library, on a Kindle, or any other medium or even, buying the books at the local book store.  

Much ado about nothing as the Bard would say.

katrix
16.1  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @16    3 months ago

Is it particularly important to those who aren't sending their children there? Not so much - but it's interesting to talk about. Exorcism, really? This dude is insane.

I think he's going to find some kids being pulled out of that school by their parents over some of his fanatical comments and actions. This apparently isn't the first batshit thing he's said or done.

Freefaller
16.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  XDm9mm @16    3 months ago

Who said it's important?  I posted it only because I thought it was funny.

JBB
16.3  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @16    3 months ago

If fundies start banning books there willl be no end to it. It is not, "A Nothing"...

Krishna
16.4  Krishna  replied to  XDm9mm @16    3 months ago

An excellent point!

Seeding anything that's not important is a clear-cut (and very serious!) violation of the NT CoC.

This should be reported (as being "not important") and the seeder should receive a strict warning be suspended for a whilel

Its sad really-- why can't everyone here follow your example-- and only post extremely important things?

Freefaller
16.4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Krishna @16.4    3 months ago

Lol I sense sarcasm

Kavika
17  Kavika     3 months ago

Hurry and sign up for our exorcism class, kids. 

latest?cb=20151006175308&path-prefix=pro

Trout Giggles
17.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @17    3 months ago

The course topics are:

1) How to avoid pea soup vomit from a spinning head

2) What is the right amount of holy water to bring to an exorcism

3) How to translate Pig Latin

sandy-2021492
17.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @17.1    3 months ago

Basic chiropractic, for when your subject's head spins 360 degrees.

Tessylo
17.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @17.1    3 months ago

That made me think of Ben Stiller when he had a show back in the day.  One of the skits was Pig Latin Lover, he was a singer and he sang all his songs in Pig Latin.  Freaking hilarious!

MrFrost
18  MrFrost    3 months ago

My x remarried a YEC guy, extreme religious fanatic. He refused to let my kids, (MY kids), watch Harry Potter movies for the same reason, so I made sure they watched them when at my house. And yes, I did send him a text letting him know. 

Freefaller
18.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  MrFrost @18    3 months ago

Lol awesome, I just hope he didn't punish them for that.

MrFrost
18.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Freefaller @18.1    3 months ago

Oh, he knows better than that... :)

freepress
19  freepress    3 months ago

"Real spells, curses and real magic"? With the millions and millions of books sold and millions more read aloud, you would think all of us Muggles would have seen some evidence of it by now. 

Jack_TX
20  Jack_TX    3 months ago

OK...so tell you what Rev Rehill....I have a proposition for you.

Let's go to war on these evil spirits and destroy them once and for all.  I'm you're man.  

I will read the curses aloud, and I will personally destroy any evil spirits that appear.  My services are a bargain at $1000/hr, and you get a money back guarantee should I fail to dispatch one.

Whaddya say?

MrFrost
20.1  MrFrost  replied to  Jack_TX @20    3 months ago

Put me down for half a billion in cash Jack.. ;)

Paula Bartholomew
21  Paula Bartholomew    3 months ago

I can remember the uproar over the Tarzan books, all because T & J were living together without being married.  Throw Cheeta into the mix and straight laced old ladies were outraged.