╌>

Harry Potter Books Removed from Nashville School Library on the Advice of Exorcists

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  109 comments

Harry Potter Books Removed from Nashville School Library on the Advice of Exorcists

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Harry Potter might have been able to defeat Voldemort, but he was no match for the administrators at St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville.

The Roman Catholic parish school — which educates students in pre-K through 8th grade — has removed all seven volumes of J.K. Rowling ‘s popular Harry Potter series from its library, the Nashville Tennessean reports, due to its content.

In an email obtained by the paper, the school’s pastor Rev. Dan Reehil said that he consulted with several exorcists in the United States and in Rome before coming to the decision. All recommended removing the books, he wrote.

These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception ,” Reehil wrote, according to the Nashville Tennessean . “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

School representatives did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

Rebecca Hammel, the superintendent of schools for the Catholic Diocese of Nashville, told the Nashville Tennessean  that Reehil has the ultimate say as to whether the books stay or not.

“Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” Hammel said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.”

Hammel added that other schools in the diocese still house the books, and that parents are children’s primary teachers.

“Should parents deem that this or any other media to be appropriate we would hope that they would just guide their sons and daughters to understand the content through the lens of our faith,” Hammel said. “We really don’t get into censorship in such selections other than making sure that what we put in our school libraries is age-appropriate materials for our classrooms.”

Rowling’s Harry Potter books — which were published between 1997 and 2007, and spawned a series of successful films — have been banned before.

According to the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF), the  Potter books topped the list of most challenged books in 1999 and 2000, Publisher’s Weekly reported

Parents and others have slammed the books for their “alleged occult/Satanic and anti-family themes, and violence,”  Publisher’s Weekly said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago

Let's see if I've got this straight, someone who believes in a fantasy is banning a fantasy book based on the advice who believe they have fantasy abilities.

Honestly you can't make this stuff up, lol 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago

Even the most hardcore Potter fans don't really believe they are real.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    5 years ago

Lol I don't know, I'm not going to say any of the spells just to avoid conjuring any evil spirits.  You know just to play it safe.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Krishna  replied to  Freefaller @1.2.1    5 years ago

Lol I don't know, I'm not going to say any of the spells just to avoid conjuring any evil spirits.  You know just to play it safe.

Its really those Black cats you have to watch out for-- they're the real danger!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Krishna @1.2.2    5 years ago

Yeah - I can tell.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2.3    5 years ago

Lol the worst danger from that cat is it falling on the keyboard mid-email.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Drakkonis  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    5 years ago

Not saying you're wrong, but I recall a few news stories about "Academies" based on the HP books, trying to make a go at it. And although not a news story, here's a link to one such academy. Who knows how real a kid thinks it is? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

I wonder if Father Damien Karras was consulted.

Talk about living in a parallel universe.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4  SteevieGee    5 years ago

This is sad for the kids.  My kids loved the Harry Potter books.  They really got them reading. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    5 years ago
These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception ,” Reehil wrote, according to the Nashville Tennessean . “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

“Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” Hammel said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.

Two eggcellant reasons why after Baptism, my kids never saw the inside of a Catholic school until College.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @5    5 years ago
Two eggcellant reasons why after Baptism, my kids never saw the inside of a Catholic school until College.

Sounds like a sweeping generalization violation to me. The Catholic Church hasnt banned the Harry Potter books. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @5    5 years ago
Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” Hammel said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.

Well they have to do something when their not trying to have sex with the choirboys...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Krishna @5.2    5 years ago
Well they have to do something when their not trying to have sex with the choirboys...

Both 5.2 and 5.21 are coc violations (sweeping generalization) as they refer to a group (they) , Catholic priests as assumed child molesters.  

Both comments imply in general that catholic priests molest children. 

Catholic Church sexual abuse cases - Wikipedia

https:// en.wikipedia.org /wiki/ Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

The 4,392 priests who were accused amount to approximately 4% of the 109,694 priests in active ministry during that time.

Of these 4,392 , approximately: 56 percent had one reported allegation against them; 27 percent had two or three allegations against them; nearly 14 percent had four to nine allegations against them; 3 percent ( 149 priests ) had 10 or more allegations against them.

The overwhelming majority (96%) of Catholic priests have no involvement in the activity.  To use the general "they" in suggesting that priests are child sex abusers is a coc violation. 

Unfortunately the moderators have chose to not delete these comments, but delete anyone who makes a general comment about "Trump supporters". 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6  1stwarrior    5 years ago

“The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

The books have been out there for 22 years and have sold millions of copies, yet, I have yet to see evil spirits being conjured by any of the public who have read and re-read and re-read any of the books.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

The spells are real?  Accio never did get that bowl down from the top shelf for me, and if I'd known that alohomora would have opened my car door when I'd locked my keys inside, I could have saved a good bit of money otherwise spent on a locksmith.

I must be a Squib.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7    5 years ago

Unfortunately, my sister (a young Earther) never allowed her son to read these. Now in his early 20s, he's so thoroughly brainwashed he's probably runs screaming in horror if I showed him one of them.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  cjcold  replied to  katrix @7.1    5 years ago

Thought that I had something to say but forgot what it was. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.2  katrix  replied to  cjcold @7.1.1    5 years ago

That's because I put a Spell of Forgetfulness on you.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @7.1    5 years ago

That's so sad - the Harry Potter books even got my "I hate reading" younger cousin reading voraciously.

Well, for seven books, anyway.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @7.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.3    5 years ago

So somebody in my office today was telling anyone who'd listen that baptisms must be done by dunking the person being baptized forward, not backward.  It's biblical, apparently.

So I'm reminded that, unfortunately, a parochial school banning Harry Potter is just a tip of the crazy iceberg.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago
“The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

Thanks for my first laugh of the day.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  JohnRussell    5 years ago
  This article is more than  16 years old

Catholic church stands up for Harry Potter

Tue 4 Feb 2003  08.29 EST First published on Tue 4 Feb 2003  08.29 EST

A Vatican spokesman has defended the  Harry Potter  books and films, saying they are consistent with Christian morals.

The Rev Peter Fleetwood, a member of the Vatican's council for culture, was speaking at the launch of a document warning of the dangers of "new age" spiritual beliefs to the Catholic faith. The draft document is designed to counter a perceived drift away from the church toward belief in crystals, feng shui and other practices not based in Christian teaching.

Asked whether the Harry Potter books fell into the same category, Mr Fleetwood said, "I don't see any, any problems in the  Harry Potter  series." He went on to say that the good v evil message of the books was consistent with Christian morality.

Countering suggestions from some evangelical groups that the tales of magic school add glamour to occult beliefs, he said, "I don't think there's anyone in this room who grew up without fairies, magic and angels in their imaginary world. They aren't bad. They aren't serving as a banner for an anti-Christian ideology.

"If I have understood well the intentions of Harry Potter's author, they help children to see the difference between good and evil. And she is very clear on this."

Finally, he said  JK Rowling  was "Christian by conviction, is Christian in her mode of living, even in her way of writing."

The fifth Harry Potter book, The Order of the Phoenix, is released on June 21, with the third film expected later this year.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @10    5 years ago

I remember when the controversy first started about the HP books and it was the fundamentalist evangelicals that were getting their collective knickers in a twist over these books.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
12  It Is ME    5 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

This is like Buying "Smooth" Peanut Butter, and then finding a "whole Nut" halfway through the jar !

That really SUCKS when that happens ! jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png

That's all I got ! jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13  TᵢG    5 years ago

This gives insight into how people could burn others alive for being 'witches'.   In the past, those who had success treating the ill could wind up burned alive because some mistook success for witchcraft.   Others were murdered for conditions such as epilepsy.   

It is 2019 and there are those who actually believe that the incantations in a brilliant work of fiction could summon 'dark forces'.   

giphy.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
13.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @13    5 years ago

That's the risk of a religious mentality.

devangelical
Professor Principal
13.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @13    5 years ago

let those thumpers pass a book ban. then amend it to include books that glorify incest, pedophilia, rape, magic, and slavery. >poof< start collecting bibles.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
15  cjfrommn    5 years ago

well i just happened to be changing channels and noticed a harry potter movie on and stopped. I recall thinking to myself , wow this group of stories were wonderful for my children.  And i just see these type of stories and really think those are special type folks, what piss poor existence they must have in there day to day lives!

Kavika
Professor Principal
17  Kavika     5 years ago

Hurry and sign up for our exorcism class, kids. 

latest?cb=20151006175308&path-prefix=protagonist

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
17.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @17    5 years ago

The course topics are:

1) How to avoid pea soup vomit from a spinning head

2) What is the right amount of holy water to bring to an exorcism

3) How to translate Pig Latin

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
17.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @17.1    5 years ago

Basic chiropractic, for when your subject's head spins 360 degrees.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
17.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @17.1    5 years ago

That made me think of Ben Stiller when he had a show back in the day.  One of the skits was Pig Latin Lover, he was a singer and he sang all his songs in Pig Latin.  Freaking hilarious!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
18  MrFrost    5 years ago

My x remarried a YEC guy, extreme religious fanatic. He refused to let my kids, (MY kids), watch Harry Potter movies for the same reason, so I made sure they watched them when at my house. And yes, I did send him a text letting him know. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
18.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  MrFrost @18    5 years ago

Lol awesome, I just hope he didn't punish them for that.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
18.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Freefaller @18.1    5 years ago

Oh, he knows better than that... :)

freepress
Freshman Silent
19  freepress    5 years ago

"Real spells, curses and real magic"? With the millions and millions of books sold and millions more read aloud, you would think all of us Muggles would have seen some evidence of it by now. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
20  Jack_TX    5 years ago

OK...so tell you what Rev Rehill....I have a proposition for you.

Let's go to war on these evil spirits and destroy them once and for all.  I'm you're man.  

I will read the curses aloud, and I will personally destroy any evil spirits that appear.  My services are a bargain at $1000/hr, and you get a money back guarantee should I fail to dispatch one.

Whaddya say?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
20.1  MrFrost  replied to  Jack_TX @20    5 years ago

Put me down for half a billion in cash Jack.. ;)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
21  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I can remember the uproar over the Tarzan books, all because T & J were living together without being married.  Throw Cheeta into the mix and straight laced old ladies were outraged.