╌>

Bank accidentally puts $120,000 in couple’s account. They were arrested after spending it, police say.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

Bank accidentally puts $120,000 in couple’s account. They were arrested after spending it, police say.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Imagine waking up one day to find an extra $120,000 in your bank account. You did not make $120,000 or win $120,000, but there it is, $120,000, just sitting there. Cool!  What would you do with all that cash? Pay off the mountain of student loans you’d otherwise be stuck with till you die? Buy a house? Buy a car? Buy this weird-looking rich-people furniture?

Maybe you should call the bank and find out what’s going on?  Yeah. Yeah, you definitely should call the bank.  Robert and Tiffany Williams of Montoursville, Pa., did not call the bank, police say.

When a non-hypothetical $120,000 intended for a business was accidentally transferred into their BB&T bank account because of a teller error, the couple splurged on a camper, a Chevy and a racecar, state trooper Aaron Brown told the Williamsport Sun-Gazette. Authorities say they also distributed $15,000 to friends who needed the money.  All told, they spent $100,000 in about 2½ weeks, WNEP reported.

Eventually, though, the bank contacted them on or around June 20 after sending the money to the correct account. The bank notified Tiffany Williams, 35, that they were responsible for returning all the funds, Brown told the Sun-Gazette. He added that the withdrawal resulted in a $107,416 overdraft because the couple’s bank account had only $1,121 in it before the accidental windfall.

BB&T Bank did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Tiffany first assured the bank she would work out a repayment plan with her husband, but she eventually ceased communications, WNEP reported.  “That is kind of shocking, with all the procedures the banks have set up, checking and double-checking and triple-checking, there’s no way anybody gets away with that stuff,” Nate Weaver, a neighbor of the Williamses, told WNEP.  The Sun-Gazette reported that the couple, in separate interrogations, told police that they “admitted to knowing the mislaid money did not belong to them, but they spent it anyway.”

The Williamses could not be reached immediately, and it was unclear whether they had retained legal counsel.  The couple now face three felony charges of theft and receiving stolen property, court records show. They appeared in court last week and posted bail of $25,000 each. The Pennsylvania State Police could not immediately comment on the case to The Washington Post.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago

Dumbasses.  What the hell did they think would happen, did they even think at all?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago

Whose money did they use to post bail?  LMAO

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

They had a good time for a couple of weeks, now it's time to pay the piper.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

The interest on the repayment loans, by the time they get them paid off should keep them well reminded of their stupidity. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago
now it's time to pay the piper

That it is

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I once had a grocery store cashier give me my change and instead of a ten she put a 100 dollar bill in my hand . I took about three steps before realizing what it was. I could have walked out of that store and left her holding the bag, but my good Catholic school upbringing got the better of me and I went back and gave it to her. 

Money doesnt just fall into your lap, if it doesnt belong to you it comes from someone else. In this case the bank can rectify their mistake. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

I couldn't do it either, it's basic simple honesty

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Freefaller @3.1    5 years ago
I couldn't do it either, it's basic simple honesty

I pulled up once to a drive through teller, the kind with vacuum tubes that you use to send things back and forth.  Pulled up, took out the tube and opened to put in the deposit, and found $2,000 in cash in the tube.  Customer before us had done a withdraw and forgot the cash.

My wife was very upset when I sent it back to the teller.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.1    5 years ago
My wife was very upset when I sent it back to the teller.

Well you can look at it this way, with a wife it's not like you were gonna be able to keep the money anyway (j/k)

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Freefaller @3.1.2    5 years ago

Well you can look at it this way, with a wife it's not like you were gonna be able to keep the money anyway (j/k)

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Wow, almost verbatim I was said when she asked why I sent it back...

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

It has to do with morality - the same morality of returning a lost wallet with all its contents to the rightful owner, or returning to a cashier the change she/he mistakenly overpaid you.  People like those in the seed are poor examples of humanity.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago
are poor examples of humanity

They're poor examples of intelligence as well:P

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

That happened to my father once.  Suddenly there was an extra 5 grand in his account.  He knew it was a bank error and they would want it back eventually so he put in in an interest bearing account and waited for the bank to get their shit together and ask for it back.  It took almost a year.  The bank got back their 5 grand and my father pocketed a couple of hundred dollars in accrued interest.  The reason it took so long was that this occurred before everything was controlled by computers and the net.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    5 years ago

Make that "put it in" not "put in in".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    5 years ago

LOL. Investing it was clever.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    5 years ago

He was savvy about things like that.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

But in Monopoly when you get that card "Bank Error in Your Favor" you get to keep the money.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ronin2  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    5 years ago

Monopoly also give you a "Get out of Jail free" card. 

Neither would work in the real world.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7  Sunshine    5 years ago

Bank accidently puts it in, I accidently take it out. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Seriously, couple of morons.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

Maybe they put a really big tooth under the pillow the night before, so they just though they had that money coming to them.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

Lmao