╌>

A female reporter kissed on live TV says: 'This is not OK'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  loretta-mashkawidee-kemsley  •  5 years ago  •  105 comments

A female reporter kissed on live TV says: 'This is not OK'
"I was shocked, but my nervous laughter does not equate to approval of his actions," Rivest said. "It was an exertion of power over me, a woman — trying to do her job — who couldn’t stop him. This embarrassed me, and it made me feel uncomfortable and powerless."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rivest said she wanted viewers to know that incidents like the one she experienced are "a violation and all-too-common occurrence."

"Journalists in the field, especially women, again just trying to do their jobs, experience harassment like this all of the time, and it is not OK. If you want to act like an idiot behind me in a live shot, that’s your choice," Rivest said. "But when you put your hands on me or anyone else without their approval, that is wrong."

Rivest reported the incident to police, and the man has since been identified as Eric Goodman, according to the Louisville Metro Police Department. Goodman has been charged with harassment with physical contact, a misdemeanor, and was issued a summons to appear in court, a department spokesman told NBC News on Thursday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley    5 years ago

More than 300 people commented on the tweet. A majority of them supported her, saying Rivest handled the situation well while on air.

"I am so angry for you. Good for you for calling him out!" one commenter wrote.

"I’m pissed at myself that I laughed," Rivest responded.

She explained in an on-air conversation with veteran WAVE reporter Dawne Gee Monday that she was shaken and "didn't know how to react."

"I was shocked, but my nervous laughter does not equate to approval of his actions," Rivest said. "It was an exertion of power over me, a woman — trying to do her job — who couldn’t stop him. This embarrassed me, and it made me feel uncomfortable and powerless."

But perhaps one of the best reactions came from her 9-year-old "little sister" with the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. "Oh my gosh Miss Sara. He stole your first kiss!" the girl said, according to Rivest. "So rude!"

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @1    5 years ago

The man assaulted her, on camera no less. I Think it would have been justifiable self defense it she had kicked him between the legs!

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    5 years ago

This is not okay. Who knows where those lips have been? She did the right thing to report it. Empathically.

Recently a tweet has come out from singer, Kelly Clarkson, alerting her fans that she do not like people (not her husband  or family) coming up touching or kissing her face for the same reason: Who knows what communicable disease or whatever someone can be sharing, publicly?

Not. Cool.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @2    5 years ago

What that ahole did is considered assault, an arrestable offense.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    5 years ago

Read this story earlier but this sort of thing has been happening for the past couple or more years.  I don't know why it has become something to do but it's a crime and needs to stop.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1  CB  replied to  Freefaller @3    5 years ago

Apparently, the message of paying fines and charging for assault has not gotten around enough yet! How much should a stolen kiss cost nowadays?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  CB @3.1    5 years ago
How much should a stolen kiss cost nowadays?

Lol a broken nose works for me, maybe a couple racoon eyes as well

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.2  CB  replied to  Freefaller @3.1.1    5 years ago

One day somebody 'mugging' for the camera is going to get 'mike-brained' on the air! Here is the theory of the case:

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Freefaller @3.1.1    5 years ago

My first reaction would have been to backhand him in his fucking face with the microphone

That's outright assault.  

Scumbag.  

He thinks he's so cute.  What a dickhead.  

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.4  CB  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    5 years ago

This morning, I'm thinking even so, she (or he) as reporter will have to clear reactions with the station and local law (as to proportional response) around the country. Or, on the wildest of chances, the reporter can be sued (and station) for damages and potential injury. After all, there is footage right there.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  CB  replied to  CB @3.1.4    5 years ago

Just wait until that "unobjectionable" kiss turns into spitting into another persons face or a slap on the face. This is commonsense as you stated in your comment, and those Facebook commenters are losers too .

th?id=OIP.aT2lQjgKuQbi4SxRSwfgWgHaI9&w=1
Kelly Clarkson 
@kellyclarkson

Spread the word. I don’t like being kissed on my face when U meet me. Ever. Male or female. I ain’t European y’all. I didn’t grow up doing that. I don’t like it. I don’t know where Ur mouth has been but I know where it’s not gonna end up, that’s anywhere on my face. #MyPSAForTheDay  

Professor Participates
3.1.6  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  CB @3.1.4    5 years ago
reporter will have to clear reactions with the station and local law (

It's hard to clear it with the station when it happens spontaneously. After I filed for divorce, too many men believed that creepy old adage that divorced women will sleep with anyone because they miss sex so much. Made my life a misery for a while.

The place where I trained horses and riders had a grassy area with a campfire. There was a low fence around it so the horses wouldn't do something stupid and end up in the fire. One evening, I was leaning against the fence visiting with other horse people while some of them cooked on the campfire. A teen boy I knew sat on the fence beside me and put his arm around me, touching my breast as he did so. From the Cheshire cat grin on his face, it was obvious he felt like he'd done something marvelous in front of his buddies.

I reacted by knocking him over the fence. He also fell down a small sloped hill. Everyone laughed at him because they knew he was out of line. He was embarrassed, but came back to sit next to me. He apologized and did not touch me again.

I realize others may feel different, but if I had to do it over, I would. I should have been able to visit with my friends without worrying about being assaulted. We have the right to defend ourselves without waiting for an okay from someone else.

If I was her, I probably wouldn't hit him with the mike because they're expensive, but I would have nailed him somehow. He was doing the same as that teen boy: showing off for his friends at her expense.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  CB @3.1.4    5 years ago
This morning, I'm thinking even so, she (or he) as reporter will have to clear reactions with the station and local law

The station has no say.  They cannot prevent her from defending herself.

As far as law enforcement, I imagine that in most places, she would be considered by law to be acting in self-defense.  If the unwanted kisser wished to sue her for damages, she could always press criminal charges.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.7    5 years ago

Thanks Sandy! Actually my @ 3.1.5 comment was directed at your facebook comment! I clicked the wrong comment and imagine my 'horror' when I realized I had accidentally responded to myself! (Your facebook comment is even further down the page. - lots happening with me in the 'moment.') jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

What's worse is some clown(s) began to think it's 'trendy' to walk up on a reporter 'captured' by their professionalism and touch him or her. A professional is usually so 'in the moment' that they likely won't see the 'perp' walking up. Then, you feel. . . something . . . .

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.9  CB  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @3.1.6    5 years ago

Well, I am referring to station written policy or 'field' policy on how reporters should and legally can respond to said incident. Let's take a hypothetical, that that guy in the pic/video has a glass-eye and the reporter whips his butt good and long enough for it to drop out on the pavement and crack, or it recedes into the back of his head. . . a court might question if the reporter overdid the defense of his/her person.

Largely, I agree with you and Sandy on this all-around. Hands off other people, especially professionals, doing their jobs!

Professor Participates
3.1.10  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  CB @3.1.8    5 years ago
I clicked the wrong comment and imagine my 'horror' when I realized I had accidentally responded to myself!

LOL. Not to worry. I've made far worse mistakes than that. In fact, I just corrected the headline on the story about the soldier saving the baby's life. I'm not sure how it happened, but the url appeared where the headline should be. Guess I should be more awake when I seed articles.

Professor Participates
3.1.11  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  CB @3.1.9    5 years ago
Let's take a hypothetical, that that guy in the pic/video has a glass-eye and the reporter whips his butt good and long enough for it to drop out on the pavement and crack, or it recedes into the back of his head

I agree with your comment about a written policy...if the station made all of its employees aware of the policy. Having a written policy but not ensuring employees know about it does no good.

I once worked for a company that had an employee manual. However, I was surprised when my boss asked me to update it because, even though I'd been there for years, that was the first I'd heard of it.

I'm not sure a company would be on legally sound ground if they forbid women from defending themselves unless they provide others who would protect her.

Of course, this is pretty much a female problem. Male employees aren't in much danger of being assaulted by kissing women, IMO. I'd think they're in more danger of being assaulted by angry men. I remember one female reporter who was attacked by an angry man who was the topic of her story. He was a landlord abusing the laws about renting to black people. She was standing in front of the apartment house doing her story when he suddenly rushed in and began pummeling her and the camera man. Broke the camera, went to jail and ended up paying for the camera and their trip to the ER.

Professor Participates
3.1.12  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  CB @3.1.8    5 years ago
A professional is usually so 'in the moment' that they likely won't see the 'perp' walking up

That's true. I'm sure they also feel they can get away with it because they don't want to appear unprofessional on camera.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.7    5 years ago

An elbow to the rib cage would have the desired effect

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @3.1.6    5 years ago
'If I was her, I probably wouldn't hit him with the mike because they're expensive, but I would have nailed him somehow. He was doing the same as that teen boy: showing off for his friends at her expense.'

A swift knee to the crotch would have been appropriate.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.15    5 years ago

But then she'd have to turn around and interrupt her work.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.16    5 years ago

Her work at that point would become a lesson in manners.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.17    5 years ago

Good point.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.19  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.18    5 years ago

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.13    5 years ago

If she could hit the solar plexus, so much better.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.20    5 years ago

Remind me where that is...is that right below the breastbone? Like a direct hit to the diaphragm?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.22  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.21    5 years ago

Yup.  Get hit there hard enough, and you feel like you can't breathe.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.22    5 years ago

Yeah...been hit a time or two with softballs and basketballs right there

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.23    5 years ago

Same.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1.25  Freefaller  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    5 years ago
backhand him in his fucking face with the microphone

You'll get no argument from me

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.26  CB  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @3.1.11    5 years ago
Of course, this is pretty much a female problem. Male employees aren't in much danger of being assaulted by kissing women, IMO. I'd think they're in more danger of being assaulted by angry men.

Loretta, this might be considered a bit of a 'redirect,' but it associates so well with your comment and loosely with the topic of assault (and in this case, murdering). Here are two women attacking a man in a busy airport in Malaysia, while his back is turned. One smears a substance on his face and the other strays a "solution" on his face afterwards.

Sadly, women can be bad actors too! Y'all might remember this chilling attack:

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

A disturbing number of Facebook commenters have said this is no big deal.  One even said the guy should have hit her, so she'd have something to complain about.

Most people should have learned by kindergarten to keep their hands and other body parts to themselves, but it seems that a sizable minority have not learned to either do so themselves, or expect it from others.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1  Sunshine  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    5 years ago
Most people should have learned by kindergarten to keep their hands and other body parts to themselves, but it seems that a sizable minority have not learned to either do so themselves,

You go that right...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    5 years ago

Yes, Biden should have known better, too.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    5 years ago

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    5 years ago

Hey sunshine? How many women have accused Biden of sexual assault? Zero. Trump? 19. But Biden is the creepy one, got it. LOL 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @4.1.3    5 years ago

Awww, didn't mean to make you cry, sorry about that. 

Professor Participates
4.1.6  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    5 years ago

This isn't an article about politics. Please stop going from seed to seed and making them all about politics.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Sunshine  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @4.1.6    5 years ago
This isn't an article about politics. Please stop going from seed to seed and making them all about politics.

I will seed where I want and make whatever comment I want.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.9  Sunshine  replied to  Sunshine @4.1.8    5 years ago
I will comment where I want and make whatever comment I want.  

Tell it to a mod.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.11  Sunshine  replied to    5 years ago

Thanks MUVA.  Seems political comments against Trump on this seed are acceptable. Be glad to accomodate the wishes of a seeder [delete]

Professor Participates
4.2  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    5 years ago

It was a "big deal" to her. She felt powerless while trying to do her job. The idea that our bodies are owned and controlled by men has to die. I went through this when I was a young teen and adult. The men who did it were gross. One was a old man who reeked of sweat and manure. Another claimed he was going to marry me, therefore he had a right to touch me. I was a young teen. He was an adult man. Some of them were boys I dated. None of the men who did it cared what I thought. As long as they wanted to touch me, they felt they had the right to do so.

I'm so glad for the #metoo movement that no doubt played a roll in the criminal charges against this man.

As men hear about or experience charges for grabbing our bodies, they'll change their behavior.

user image
Freshman Silent
5      5 years ago

This is most definitely not OK. You always follow up with a pat on the behind to let her know you approve. This guy is just straight up rude.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  @5    5 years ago

Anybody patting me on the behind better have money for bail

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.1    replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    5 years ago

Oh you're one of those high maintenance chicks huh? I guess in your case he would have to throw a "Nice ass" ;) in there to make sure you knew he liked it. Geez you chicks just get harder to please these days.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  @5.1.1    5 years ago

I don't think it's funny if anyone other than my husband pats me on the behind or says "nice ass".

I don't think my spouse would find it funny, either

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.3    replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.2    5 years ago
I don't think my spouse would find it funny, either

Have you ever asked him? Doesn't sound like you have. Some guys are into that......

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  @5.1.1    5 years ago
Geez you chicks just get harder to please these days.

Trust me people making claims of what they would do when they don't have to worry about that happening is what is the joke here.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.4    5 years ago

Pretty harsh to imply that jungkonservative can't please chicks.

😉

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.8    replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.4    5 years ago

I bet she would blush and giggle. So typical

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.4    5 years ago

removed for context

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  @5.1.8    5 years ago

I bet you don't have a clue what a real woman would do.  

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.11    replied to  Tessylo @5.1.10    5 years ago

[deleted]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.12  KDMichigan  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.6    5 years ago
Pretty harsh to imply that jungconservative can't please chicks.

Um okay.....

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.13  Sunshine  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.4    5 years ago
Trust me people making claims of what they would do when they don't have to worry about that happening is what is the joke here.

I have never had a man just come up and pat my ass or try and kiss me. I have had a few unwanted hugs.  I have noticed men have stopped whistling.

One time a guy asked me to go to the Promised Land with him. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.12    5 years ago

Maybe pay attention to what you block quote when you're trying unsuccessfully to insult someone.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.15  KDMichigan  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.14    5 years ago
Maybe pay attention to what you block quote when you're trying unsuccessfully to insult someone.

[deleted]

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.16    replied to  KDMichigan @5.1.12    5 years ago

That's chick code. She's challenging me to please her. This is where you sit back and let them come to you....

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.17  KDMichigan  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.13    5 years ago
I have had a few unwanted hugs.

I always get hugs from people I know. nothing wrong with that, Guess I'm just a huggable kind of guy.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.19  KDMichigan  replied to    5 years ago
I want to hug you and I don’t even know you.

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Professor Participates
5.1.20  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  @5.1.1    5 years ago

Making light of this situation seems to be the forte of men who would do this.

user image
Freshman Silent
5.1.21    replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @5.1.20    5 years ago

I admit I have been having a little fun with this and I should take it much more seriously. I mean he basically sexuality assaulted her and her life will never be the same after that day that we all got to witness on TV. Her body was probably a sacred, untouched temple and he he defiled it like a barbarian savage. He got off way too easy in my book. We really need to brainstorm on what to do about this kind of toxic masculinity.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.22  Sunshine  replied to    5 years ago
I want to hug you and I don’t even know you.

#metoo

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.26  pat wilson  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.1.25    5 years ago

I don't think it was men in general she spoke about.

You know what they say "If the shoe fits..."

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago

She should have stood her ground and shot him. 

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1    replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

She probably lives in a city with strict gun control so that probably wasn't an option for her. The left's war on women continues.

Professor Participates
6.1.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  @6.1    5 years ago

Why make this a left-right situation? This is done by men on both sides to women on both sides. It's a male thinking they have the right to harm women situation.

user image
Freshman Silent
6.1.2    replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @6.1.1    5 years ago

OK first off she was not harmed. He gave her a peck on the cheek. To him it was probably really less about her and more about him making a fool of himself on TV. And this is not a male exclusive problem. There are men who have complained in their workplace of unwanted sexual advances from their female counterparts. People just don't make a big deal out of it. Just like this situation. If it was the other way around and he was the reporter and she kissed him, no one would care. Look at all the female school teachers who have had inappropriate relations with their students. You don't hear people make a big deal out of it although it is happening more often. However if it was a male teacher and a female student. Look out. Gross double standard.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/why-are-so-many-female-teachers-sleeping-students

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @6.1.1    5 years ago
Why make this a left-right situation?

Because that is unfortunately what this site has turned into. Not making a complaint or bashing, it's just the way it is now. 

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.4  CB  replied to  @6.1.2    5 years ago

What if he had a cold, flu, "soupy" lips? Would you want an unwelcomed kiss?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  @6.1    5 years ago
The left's war on women continues.

Ah, so you're pro choice now? 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8  Jack_TX    5 years ago

The action was inappropriate.

The reactions are a bit excessive.

The litmus test I always apply and the question I find interesting is "what would have happened if the roles were reversed?"  If this had been a handsome young latino reporter and some drunk girl on her way out of the bourbon festival had stopped to kiss him on the cheek......the action would still be equally as inappropriate, BUT:

• Would anybody really care?
  • What would the reaction be to the reporter complaining?
  • Would the same people still attempt to justify physical violence against the kisser?
  • Would the general reaction be to laugh it off or talk about how inappropriate it is?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
9  pat wilson    5 years ago

No one should ever put their hands (or lips) on anyone else unless its consensual.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I had my idiotic behind the reporter moment years ago involving blue baloons, gay men, fruit of the looms, and a box of wine (a story for another timejrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif ), but I would have never ever considered violating the reporter's personal space.