By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  11 comments

Modern Female Heroes of the East

Modern Female Heroes of the East

By:  dave-2693993  

_v=63f541569705998

Remind me never to upset her

Sponsored by group EVERYONE LOVES MOVIES - CLASSIC TO CURRENT

_v=63f541569705998

So, it has taken us a month to watch a couple interesting action movies.

The first was Red Sparrow starring Jennifer Lawrence who portrays Dominika Egorova, a highly accomplished ballerina who suffered a career-ending broken leg due to sabotage.

Career gone.

Dreams gone.

A "dear uncle" offered her a way to maintain her dreary apartment to remain and continue supporting her mother. 

Red Sparrow school. What else. The practice of sex to obtain kompromat. Gaining compromising material against foreign human targets through sex. Turns out Dominika is not generous with her sex and remains in the "dog house" of her school master. Yet she is very effective without giving herself away.

In the end, she is the one who saves herself from her enslavement.

The second movie was Anna.

As I told Julia, "remind me never to upset her".

Anna is played by Sasha Luss and according to IMDb " Beneath Anna Poliatova's striking beauty lies a secret that will unleash her indelible strength and skill to become one of the world's most feared government assassins."

In some ways the actions scenes are reminiscent of 1970's and 1980's  Kung Fu movies, yet, in all honesty I enjoyed it more than Red Sparrow.

A surprise near the end is, her girlfriend turns out to be of Mousad affiliation. The movie doesn't get in to much detail, but questions linger.

Here is a trailer, courtesy of a link from IMDb.

https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi1982643481?playlistId=tt7456310&ref_=tt_ov_vi

We liked it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

This movie review was written by Dave-2693993, was originally posted on the Everyone Loves Movies - Classic to Current group and was copied and pasted on the Front Page by me, which accounts for my name appearing at the top.  To see or post movie reviews, articles about the movies, the actors, directors and anything involved with the movies, you can apply for membership to the Everyone Loves Movies - Classic to Current group.  Sometimes there are even articles posted of movies concerning politics or religion.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Thank you for promoting this to the front page Buzz.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Both interesting and entertaining movies in my opinion, though not Casablanca. 

In particular it was interesting to see Anna progress from a KGB throw away to in the end, work the corrupt Russian intelligence system.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

Good article. I'll have to find the movie ''Red Sparrow''..

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

Thank you and I hope you enjoy Red Sparrow. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I don't know if you would classify Scarlet Johanson in this movie as a hero, but she definitely kicks ass in Lucy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    5 years ago

I liked that movie - Lucy.  She gets trapped into a situation she did not want, but as you said, kicked ass.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    5 years ago

You have got me there Paula. She probably is.

I am not the most diligent of movie watchers, but we managed to catch these two recently. If you can consider taking a month to watch the both of them as recent. But we did finally finish Anna after Julia returned to her flat in her current home city after a business trip to Odessa.

I meant to watch the Odessa Files while she was there, but I was too busy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

If we are talking Modern Female Heroes of the East, I nominate Israeli Wonder Woman Gal Gadot:

th?id=OIP.hkqLpQPUxL_ebkF2r1Q3WAHaEK&pid=Api&rs=1

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    5 years ago

Probably don't want to upset her either.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @5.1    5 years ago

For sure.