╌>

How much do people in the US love goji berries

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Hu Dongmei in Ningxia and Xu He in New York | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-10-09

5d9d4fe7a310cf3e97a04243.jpeg

"Soaking goji berries in a thermos" has become one way for people in China to keep healthy. It may come as a surprise that goji berries, though a health fad in China, are also very popular in the United States. How much do people in the US love goji berries?

BUZZ NOTE:  The story here is a video, the photo above being a scene shot from it, and I am unable to copy the video but to watch it, just click the "SEEDED CONTENT" link at the top of the page, or click the link below.  I continue with my personal story about the Gogi berries in my first comment , which also contains a link to an article that explains their health benefits.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

We always have goji berries in the house, because we eat them in various dishes that we prepare.  I put them in my morning hot oatmeal and in the pancakes I make.  My wife puts them in the great souflee she makes, and of course we can eat them just like raisins.  They are also called wolfberries.  We buy the dried berries in packets as shown in the photo I just took here:

The fork is there as a tool to measure the size of them.  Although they look like red raisins, they need to be soaked in hot water, which makes them expand a little, and of course softens them to be softer even than raisins.

There are health benefits, although they can also have side effects.  Check out this article that I have linked:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

I don't know why, but lately I have had trouble posting links.  Here is the benefits article link again:

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

What the heck is a goji berry? Never heard of them so it's hard to love them...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    5 years ago

Did you not watch the video, read my comment and the benefits article I linked? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    5 years ago

I'm sorry, I was being facetious.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

I keep hearing these things are really good for you, but I've never tried them.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

As the waitress in the deli said, "Try it, you'll like it."

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3  pat wilson    5 years ago

I tried them years ago. They were okay, kinda pricey in a regular grocery though.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @3    5 years ago

Next time we buy them I'll post the cost of the package here of a defined weight.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    5 years ago

It was 4 or 5 years ago I was in China Town in San Francisco and I saw them for a really good price at a street market. If you buy them at your neighborhood grocery they can be very expensive.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  pat wilson @3    5 years ago
I tried them years ago. They were okay, kinda pricey in a regular grocery though.

They're much cheaper on Amazon..I used to buy the 1 lb pckg-- but the 2 lb pckg is a better buy and lasts a long time (they are dried so they don't spoil). If you want to try them for the first time I'd recommend a really small pckg to see if you like them.

I used to eat them regularly as they supposedly have great health benefits. (But actually most berrires are "superfoods" Blueberries having the most health benefits of all the more common berries) but most berries are extremely healthy-- plus they generally have the lowest glycemic index of all the fruits.Berries, and sour cherries, cranberries as well.

My main priority is the health benefits over taste, but I stopped eating Gojis a while back as I actually prefer the taste of regular berries-- which are also less expensive. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.2    5 years ago

I haven't ordered them in a long time so I had to search for them. Here are the ones I usually get-- good quality and one of the lower prices: $13/lb and free shipping (for Prime members):

Healthworks Raw Goji Berries (32 Ounces / 2 Pound) | Certified Organic & Sun-Dried | Keto, Vegan & Non-GMO | Baking, Teas & Smoothies | Antioxidant Superfood

IIRC, I also liked this brand because they were on the dry side which Iliked because some other brands got really too mushy for my taste (sometimes I put them in Organic matcha tea). But there are other good brands on Amazon.com.

I also used to put them in Oatmeal. (Organic Steel-cut Oatmeal + Berries + Nuts or Seeds with Almond Milk makes a super healthy meal!

P.S: You can get non-organic cheaper-- but after extensive research I have decided Organic is worth the extra money (I eat only 100% organic at home).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I just went shopping in the local supermarket today and purchased a packet of wolfberries (another name for Gojo berries) like the one in the photo above.  It contains 100 grams and cost the equivalent of approximately US$1.50.  Of course in larger sizes it reduces the cost. Sometimes they are also available as loose bulk in which case the price would be even less.