Unusual but true: Guinea pig-flavored ice cream

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  3 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-10-11 

5da00d34a310cf3e97a0a4ec.jpeg

Maria del Carmen Pilapana tops a scoop of guinea pig flavored ice cream with peanuts at her stall on the outskirts of Quito, Ecuador, Oct 4, 2019. [Photo/IC]

It can't be easy for people who think of guinea pigs as cute pets to learn that guinea pig-flavored ice cream exists in Ecuador.

In Ecuador, people typically cook guinea pigs with salt and serve them with potatoes and peanut sauce. But Maria del Carmen Pilapana is taking things to gastronomic level, serving guinea pigs as a cold dessert.

"My family and my husband thought I was crazy. They didn't think anyone would like these ice creams, but now they're our main products," said Pilapana. She began attending free training courses for entrepreneurs and decided to do something innovative about half a year ago.

5da00d34a310cf3e97a0a4ee.jpeg

Guinea pigs are pictured at a farm in San Jose de Taboada, Ecuador, Oct 4, 2019. [Photo/IC]. [Photo/IC]

Ants, cicadas and worms are used to make some desserts, often chocolate-infused ones, in parts of Latin America. But incorporating such ingredients - guinea pigs included - into ice cream is unusual.

Maria now has new flavors in mind like crab, chicken and pork.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Although this was done in Latin America, I know the Chinese eat a lot of strange things, and I've been offered a cooked cicada but there was no way I would eat it. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    5 years ago

I hear that.   You must be exposed to all sorts of stuff in China.   I once saw a documentary that included a Chinese delicacy (hard boiled embryonic eggs).    Yes, a fertilized egg containing a chicken embryo that is hard-boiled and then consumed.   I eat eggs, I eat chicken, but for some reason the combination does not work for me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @2    5 years ago

It doesn't for me either.  Preserved eggs are common, but I've never seen one with an embryo in it.