╌>

Avoid These 5 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Brain

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  18 comments

Avoid These 5 Bad Habits That Can Damage Your Brain
Learn about the small Microsteps that can positively impact your noggin.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

gualtiero boffi / Shutterstock

The human brain has unparalleled capacity to process and analyze information. It is the control center for all your productivity and actions. People often take for granted the benefits and quality of life enabled by a healthy brain. Improving your brain’s health now, and as you age, can be as simple as adjusting some habits that may hurt your brain. Read on to learn about five habits you might wish to change to help your brain.

Poor Sleep

Sleep is critical to our well being and especially important for the health of our brain. While we sleep, our brain repairs itself. Lack of quality sleep inhibits this process, leaving the brain susceptible to damage over time. Americans are now sleeping less than ever. According to a poll conducted by the CDC, more than a third of people report sleeping less than 7 hours per night. Most people need between 7 and 8.5 hours of sleep per day for optimum overall health. Many of us can relate to having reduced cognitive function due to a poor night’s sleep. Unfortunately, the effects of poor sleep extend beyond poor focus and a short temper. Recent studies have shown that  poor sleep also causes degeneration and loss of brain cells .

( cont'd in seeded article )

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Unfortunately, the effects of poor sleep extend beyond poor focus and a short temper. Recent studies have shown that   poor sleep also causes degeneration and loss of brain cells  . (  cont'd in seeded article  )

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Overindulging

Eating habits considered good for your body are also good for your brain. Too much salt, sugar, alcohol or food in general will compromise the health of your brain.  Evidence from a 2012 study  indicated people who were overweight had a 22% reduction in cognitive function compared to slimmer peers over a 10-year time.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3  sixpick    5 years ago

deleted

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Salt. High salt consumption is a contributing factor for high blood pressure. High blood pressure leads to an increased risk of stroke and causes repeated small traumas to your brain resulting in minor cognitive deficits.

High Blood Pressure can be dangerous. However there is significant sciencetific research that shows an interesting aspect of high Salt intake: apparently it really does raise blood pressure in some people-- but it doesn't in others!

(Probably not good to pour lots of salt on everything for anyone-- but for some folks a relatively high Salt intake causes no problems-- while it does in others)  

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5  al Jizzerror    5 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  al Jizzerror @5    5 years ago

There are some politicians that have different opinions than I do--mthat's to be expected. But in Trump's case its different-- he is opbviously mentally ill. This represents a very real danger to the country and the world.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1    5 years ago

Bone-Spur-challenged Trump is a true Chickenhawk and a real neo-Con . As things heat up in The Persian Gulf he's moving large numbers of U.S. troops in-- this willlikely lead to an escalation and the deaths of many American kids :-(

Chickenhawk (definition): Chickenhawk  is a  political term  used in the United States to describe a person who strongly supports war or other military action (i.e., a  war hawk ), yet who actively avoids or avoided military service when of age.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.1.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    5 years ago
Bone-Spur-challenged Trump is a true Chickenhawk and a real neo-Con

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
7  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

No salt?  Oh hell to the no!  I've been known to salt my salt.

No sugar?  Just the thought is giving me a heritage-related attack of the vapors.

fw_gonewiththewind-gif.gif?w=610

I'm a firm believer that the trauma induced by merely considering abstinence of these particular condiments is far more damaging to one's health.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7    5 years ago

Next this you know, somebody is going to say "too much beer is bad for you".

Side note, recently heard good dill pickles are supposed to be good for the brain. Drink a beer, eat a pickle...

Professor Guide
7.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1    5 years ago
Side note, recently heard good dill pickles are supposed to be good for the brain. Drink a beer, eat a pickle...

Trotting to the fridge and typing this reply simultaneously (for further study, of course...)

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1    5 years ago

Pickles have a fair amount of Salt-- which is no problem for some people but not great for others.

BTW the reason some of these things have fairly recently been hyped as good for you is that they are fermented-- one of the more recent discoveries is that fermented food is great for your "Biome" .

(Scientists must constantly invent new terms like "Biome" so they get big Grant$ for Re$earch)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1    5 years ago
Next this you know, somebody is going to say "too much beer is bad for you".

Blasphemy!

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7    5 years ago
I'm a firm believer that the trauma induced by merely considering abstinence of these particular condiments is far more damaging to one's health.

You might be right! jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

But please don't tell anyone-- that must be kept secret!

(P.S: Some might add a stiff drink to that list-- but again, it must not be mentioned except on an occasional internet post...)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7    5 years ago

You salt your salt while I butter my butter

Professor Guide
7.3.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.3    5 years ago

Salted butter is fab, and buttered salt is fab.  I'm conducting a taste test with buttered butter later this afternoon, and also later this evening.  All avenues indicate that I'll be jumping into a vat of buttered butter as often as possible.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7.3.1    5 years ago

I think we are sisters of other mothers.

pssstttt....I like to put butter on my deep fried foods.....