╌>

Obama calls out call-out culture: "That's not activism"

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  it-is-me  •  5 years ago  •  19 comments

By:   CBSNews

Obama calls out call-out culture: "That's not activism"
Young people in particular, he said , seem to think "'if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn't do something right, or used the wrong word or verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself, because man you see how woke I was. I called you out.' That's not activism.

Of Course....Michelle had to Chime in with her usual "Race baiting" :

Michelle Obama also weighed in on political division. She compared racism to xenophobia while recalling how white families left the South Side of Chicago, where she grew up, as black families moved in. 

"I want to remind white folks that y'all were running from us, and you're still running, because we're no different than the immigrant families that are moving in ... to try to do better," she said. 

The white flight she alluded to hampers the ability of local government to fund services and infrastructure for its citizens because when people leave cities, the tax base shrinks. Earlier this year, the Chicago Sun Times reported that African-American and white population was falling in Cook County, while the Asian and Hispanic population was growing. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Obamas opened up about political division at the annual summit for the Obama Foundation, their nonprofit organization. While former President Obama called out the call-out culture, former first lady Michelle Obama took white conservatives to task. 

Mr. Obama said he's concerned about how people approach differences in opinion, especially on social media. 
Young people in particular, he said , seem to think "'if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn't do something right, or used the wrong word or verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself, because man you see how woke I was. I called you out.' That's not activism. That's not bringing about change," he said at the summit, which took place in Chicago on Tuesday. 

He urged people to be more compromising and accepting because "the world is messy, there are ambiguities, and people who do really good stuff have flaws." 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    5 years ago

Gee Michelle, did you just note that those moving in, while others move out, can't, or won't, pay the "Bill" ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

And that's the fault of those moving out ? jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

user image
Freshman Silent
2      5 years ago

"and people who do really good stuff have flaws."

Ha this is rich. I guess enough democrats are falling lately that they are finally aware of this fact. Too bad it was already after they already destroyed all of our history by removing monuments of the likes of Columbus, Washington, and Jefferson just to name a quick few. Maybe liberals are finally learning that you can't apply today's standards to historical figures.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  @2    5 years ago
I guess enough democrats are falling lately that they are finally aware of this fact.

Thank Mr. Obama. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

He's just trying to "Protect" his failed " Divisive " legacy now.

Let's do a "Beer Summit" to talk about this. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    5 years ago

When the white flight is to inner cities Democrats bitch about that too.

All Democrats can do is bitch and moan....shut up Michelle.  You are a negative ugly person.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4  Just Jim NC TttH    5 years ago

I saw this "story" elsewhere the other day and thought to myself "Why, Mrs. Obama, in the hell do you focus on white flight when indeed there are people of color fleeing those same shitholes to get away from the things they see happening?" It's crazy and divisive to think it's only whites. 

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1    replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4    5 years ago

And the way she shames whites. Imagine another first lady shaming blacks for gang violence and drug sales. [TOS violation]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  @4.1    5 years ago

You must be talking about 'president' tRump's supporters here.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  @4.1    5 years ago
Removed for Context

Let's see what Newstalkers does. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4    5 years ago

She's Hopelessly " Woke ". jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

She contradicts her own husbands words, and makes them look moronic. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.3  Sunshine  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4    5 years ago
indeed there are people of color fleeing those same shitholes to get away from the things they see happening?"

Apparently her move to Marthas Vineyard is not a problem....typical hypocrite Democrat.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Obama: unlikely voice of reason.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    5 years ago
"I want to remind white folks that y'all were running from us, and you're still running, because we're no different than the immigrant families that are moving in ... to try to do better," she said.  The white flight she alluded to hampers the ability of local government to fund services and infrastructure for its citizens because when people leave cities, the tax base shrinks.Earlier this year, the Chicago Sun Times reported that African-American and white population was falling in Cook County, while the Asian and Hispanic population was growing. 

Is the article trying to infer that Asians and Hispanics are inferior to whites and African Americans? Especially in earning power? Seems awfully racist.

Population is population. Race, ethnicity, and religious differences shouldn't make a difference. Unless what they are really PO'd about is the loss of money.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Ronin2 @6    5 years ago

Sounds like.... Michelle...isn't "Proud"...…. AGAIN ! jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.2  Tacos!  replied to  Ronin2 @6    5 years ago
Seems awfully racist.

It's pretty weird. Do white people have some kind of duty to stay in one place and support whatever government exists there? They don't have a right to move around like anyone else? Apparently Asians and Hispanics don't pay taxes or something.

Very odd article. It's like the author is trying to be mad at white people but can't quite figure out a good reason.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  seeder  It Is ME    5 years ago

Where are all the supposed "WOKE" folks on this ?

Still really "Asleep" ?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago

Perhaps they're all out participating in actual activism. It has to be better than spending any time watching half-wits drag out their over-used black face straw men of the Obama's to bash, ridicule and hate on.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.1    5 years ago
Perhaps they're all out participating in actual activism.

Such as ….. the "Fry them like Bacon" march ? jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

"It has to be better than spending any time watching half-wits drag out their over-used black face straw men of the Obama's to bash, ridicule and hate on."

Seems "Michelle" is the one "Lighting up" the "Black Face". jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago
'if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn't do something right, or used the wrong word or verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself, because man you see how woke I was. I called you out.'

Good for him. I think that's a healthy message and I hope people were listening.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    5 years ago
I want to remind white folks

Why does she think she needs to remind white folks of anything? Just imagine the response if some white person set out to remind black folks of something.