╌>

Rockets test shaky ceasefire after relative calm since Wednesday

Category:  World News

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Despite announcement of ceasefire, intermittent rockets have continued to be launched by Palestinian Islamic Jihad in Gaza

Iron Dome anti-missile system fires interception missiles as rockets are launched from Gaza towards Israel as seen from the city of Ashkelon, Israel Ashkelon

(photo credit: AMIR COHEN/REUTERS)

Rockets from Gaza violated a shaky ceasefire early Saturday morning.

The IDF responded to by conducting airstrikes on targets belonging to Hamas, the IDF said.

The IDF's Spokesperson's Unit said that two rockets fired from Gaza were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system.

Israel came under rocket fire once again, following a ceasefire that was announced early Thursday.

The rockets set off   red alert sirens   in Beer Sheva,   Segev Shalom,   Lakiya, Omer and Bedouin areas .

#BREAKING   Two rockets were fired from   #Gaza   to the city of Beer Sheva. It is a big breach of the ceasefire, probably by some factions in the Islamic Jihad who are not happy with the agreement   pic.twitter.com/LU2Dh4Dc5K
— Guy Elster (@guyelster)   November 16, 2019

Magen David Adom paramedics provided medical attention to nine people, all of them in mild condition, including five for anxiety and four who fell on their way to bomb shelters.

The rocket attack came nearly two days after a   tenuous ceasefire   ended a flare-up in cross-border violence between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.

Several Israelis have been injured since clashes erupted on Tuesday morning between the IDF and Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ), following a targeted strike of a senior commander Bahaa Abu al-Ata.

The tense exchanges disrupted life for Israelis living in the South, up to Tel Aviv, leading to school closures, as well as directives to shut down businesses not near a bomb shelter.

Over 400 rockets have been fired since the death of Bahaa Abu al-Ata, attributed to PIJ, while Hamas and other minor factions have avoided getting involved in the round of fighting. Fifty-eight Israeli civilians have since been injured as a result of the fighting. 

Reuters contributed to this report.

------
Correction: An earlier version of this report said the IDF hit PIJ targets.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

What I really would like to know is how the NT members would feel in the event that Cuba were firing rockets landing in Florida over a period of years over and over again.  Would the USA just fire back at military targets, or eventually invade Cuba?  

In my opinion, I think, that since the Palestinians would even take a broken toenail to the ICC declaring war crimes and human rights abuses anyway, Israel should just once and for all do a massive invasion of Gaza and deport all Hamas and Islamic Jihad members to Iran, who backs them anyway.  Then I'm sure a GENUINE peace deal would be welcomed by the rest of the Gazans, especially if the borders were loosened to where they were before Hamas took over.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

A massive invasion to remove Hamas?

Are you aware of the shear amount of dead that would result in? Street to street fighting, house to house fighting, floor to floor fighting in every building. Hamas doesn't give a shit about the Palestinian civilians in Gaza, and neither does Israel.

But what the hell, it would be fought on Palestinian ground, and the vast majority of the dead would be Palestinians. The IDF is much better trained and armed. Any place that offers too much resistance can always be bombed into oblivion.

Then I'm sure a GENUINE peace deal would be welcomed by the rest of the Gazans, especially if the borders were loosened to where they were before Hamas took over.

Right, a peace deal made with a gun held to their heads. Israel is as dumb as the US when it comes to creating more terrorists. Think the Gazans will forgive Israel for the scores dead from the invasion, or the resulting occupation? What, you think the Israelis will just withdraw and leave the Gazans' to their own devices? With their infrastructure destroyed and absolutely no working political body to get things done or enforce laws; it wouldn't take long for a new threat to Israel to spring up. 

As for your false analogy.

how the NT members would feel in the event that Cuba were firing rockets landing in Florida over a period of years over and over again.  Would the USA just fire back at military targets, or eventually invade Cuba?  

Gaza is not a country. Israel controls entry to their ports, air space, and finances. Nothing legally gets in or out of Gaza without Israel's approval. Care to state the same on Cuba? But you are correct in one aspect, if Cuba launched an attack on the US it would be bombed into submission and then invaded/occupied. As if that worked so damn well with Afghanistan, Iraq, or any damn other place the US has tried it. But we keep on doing it just the same.

The world is stuck on stupid. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    5 years ago

What is your solution?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.2    5 years ago

So you feel that the ordinary citizens of Gaza are happy with Hamas and Islamic Jihad.  I don't.  I think they would be happy to have them gone and be able to get decent jobs in Israel and start making enough of a living to live comfortable lives rather than living in misery.. The rest of the world?  They despise Israel anyway, and will support the underdog even if the underdogs are terrorists, so what else is new?

As for maintaining the status quo, tell that to the ordinary peaceful citizens living near Gaza who have to run for shelters, whose children are totally traumatized, most likely for life, and those who are injured and killed.  Ask their opinion.  One of the times I was in Israel I was visiting a Kibbutz in the north, and bombs started being kited by Hezbollah so we ran for the bomb shelter.  It was not a pleasant experience, but one I'll never forget.

Out of curiosity, XD, if you are removing a bandage from a hairy arm or leg, do you pull it off slowly, or jerk it off fast?  Personally I think pulling it off slowly is a form of slow torture, just making the pain of it last longer.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    5 years ago
So you feel that the ordinary citizens of Gaza are happy with Hamas and Islamic Jihad. 

Show where I or anyone else that I know of on this site  have ever stated they are all happy with Hamas? Or even the PA for that matter? 

I think they would be happy to have them gone and be able to get decent jobs in Israel and start making enough of a living to live comfortable lives rather than living in misery..

You just don't get it. The ordinary people of Gaza can't stand Israel either. They suffer from Israeli actions as much as Hamas actions. After the invasion, and subsequent occupation a whole new batch of terrorists will spring up to fight Israel. There won't be any freedom of movement to and from Israel. There won't be any jobs. There will just be the destructive aftermath, daily protests, attacks on IDF forces, and brutal retaliations. 

The rest of the world?  They despise Israel anyway, and will support the underdog even if the underdogs are terrorists, so what else is new?

Poor picked on Israel. jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif Whatever are they going to do? The whole world outside of the US is out to get them. Even then some US citizens want to boycott Israel. They are the only true light shining in this poor pathetic world. Sorry, I call BS. So long as they have the US government backing they will go on as they always stupidly have.

As for maintaining the status quo, tell that to the ordinary peaceful citizens living near Gaza who have to run for shelters, whose children are totally traumatized, most likely for life, and those who are injured and killed.  Ask their opinion.  One of the times I was in Israel I was visiting a Kibbutz in the north, and bombs started being kited by Hezbollah so we ran for the bomb shelter.  It was not a pleasant experience, but one I'll never forget.

You had a bomb shelter to run to didn't you? The Palestinian civilians don't. They will be stuck in their homes barricaded in as best as they can while the IDF and Hamas battle it out. You want to talk trauma? I think that blows running to a bomb shelter out of the water.

Out of curiosity, XD, if you are removing a bandage from a hairy arm or leg, do you pull it off slowly, or jerk it off fast?  Personally I think pulling it off slowly is a form of slow torture, just making the pain of it last longer.

Another piss poor analogy Buzz. Those are human beings we are talking about, not hairs on your arms or legs. They won't grow back; and the pain will not end once the invasion is over. Want to see this on the internet on a daily basis again?  Really damn good optics. Hell, might be good enough to get one of the Democratic candidates for President backing to cut off all aide to Israel.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

You want my solution. You won't like it and Israel will never go for it.

1) Stop all settlement expansion and land confiscation in the West Bank. Remove any small settlements that simply aren't viable on their own.

2) Ease up movement restrictions between the West Bank and Israel. Stop treating the people of the West Bank like human cattle.  Start treating them like people that haven't attacked Israel in a very long time.

3) Actually talk to the PA. They are corrupt, incompetent, and complete assholes; but they are the better of the two alternatives. The first two steps will actually make it look like the PA actually has some power. Right now they are losing the battle to Hamas that has made gains in the West Bank. With each land grab Israel diminishes the PA's standing.

4) Realize that the Palestinians are not going to go away. Jordan isn't Palestine. Egypt isn't Palestine. There needs to be a viable Palestinian state that control their own borders, water rights, ports, and air space. There needs to be a land bridge between the West Bank and Gaza- with free travel between the two.

5) Don't react to the PA/Hamas civil war that will follow. It will be brutal, it will be ugly, Hamas will use it as an excuse to increase their rockets into Israel. Expect more of the same from Palestinian factions in Lebanon and Syria. But it will be Palestinians fighting and killing Palestinians. Just hope the PA hasn't forgotten how to fight. 

6) Make peace with Lebanon. That is right. I said peace and I mean real peace. That will mean no more jet fighters shattering glass building in downtown Beirut. That means no attacking Lebanese defense forces for what Hezbollah and other Palestinian factions do. No demilitarized zone in Lebanon. That means dropping demands that the US doesn't sell Lebanon advance weapons systems. That means actually working the Lebanese defense forces to get them adequately trained  Lebanon will have a real military and be able to actually control their own borders.

7) Jerusalem control given to all of the major religious factions. Nothing new here; but we all know Israel's stand on that. 

8) Don't get upset if the Palestinians don't like Israel. It may take generations for that hate to diminish. They will want to make deals with the rest of the world first, Hell anyone and everyone except Israel. That doesn't mean Israel shouldn't try- it just means that they shouldn't get offended when their hand gets slapped away repeatedly.

9) Right of return. This will take a shitload of good faith negotiations with Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan. Financial incentives will absolutely need to be part of the deal. As many of the refugees as possible need to be made full citizens of those countries. Those that aren't need to be absorbed into the new Palestine. Which will mean more money. Oh, and don't expect those returning to appreciate what has been done. They won't. 

Want to know my plan for the Palestinians. It has just as little chance of being accepted. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.4    5 years ago

So you believe in cutting off all Military aid to Israel (that's the only aid they get), and have you ever even considered the consequences of doing so? Have you ever educated yourself about what that aid is used for?  Do you think it's just to go into Swiss bank accounts or to give lifetime pensions to terrorists who kill Jews like the aid that goes to the Palestinians?

By the way, I can't open the videos you posted so they mean nothing to me.

As well, I just read your "solution", so thanks for trying rather than criticizing. It's good that you at least have ideas.  Unfortunately I don't think they'll all work.  Personally I prefer the Jordan Option, and as for Israel giving up the disputed territories or Jerusalem, when there is lots of legal, historical, mandates, conferences and agreements besides conquest in a defensive war that indicate they are Israel's sovereign lands, not "occupied" lands, and I've published the proof of that so many times already I've given up wasting my time. Give the so-called "Palestinians" (Arafat the Egyptian's invention) a right of return, they will outnumber and outvote everyone else and that will end the "Home for the Jews" that was created.  So you see there are some flaws in your wishes.

I believe, from your comments, that your personal feelings about Israel are such that I don't wish to carry on this discussion any further.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.6    5 years ago

You really think that military aide is the only aide Israel gets.

Israel is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign assistance since World War II. To date, the United States has provided Israel $142.3 billion (current, or noninflation-adjusted, dollars) in bilateral assistance and missile defense funding. Almost all U.S. bilateral aid to Israel is in the form of military assistance, although from 1971 to 2007 Israel also received significant economic assistance.

$5 million in Migration and Refugee Assistance (MRA) for refugee resettlement

Personally I prefer the Jordan Option

Sorry, Jordan is not Palestine never has been never will be. Not the same people no matter how you want to slice it.

and as for Israel giving up the disputed territories or Jerusalem, when there is lots of legal, historical, mandates, conferences and agreements besides conquest in a defensive war that indicate they are Israel's sovereign lands, not "occupied" lands, and I've published the proof of that so many times already I've given up wasting my time.

I have seen your proof and I have matched it promise for promise and agreement for agreement between Britain and the Arabs. 

Give the so-called "Palestinians" (Arafat the Egyptian's invention) a right of return, they will outnumber and outvote everyone else and that will end the "Home for the Jews" that was created.

You think I was calling for a right of return to Israel proper? I said the majority of Palestinians need to be made full citizens of the countries they reside in. That is going to take a lot of financial aide to do. Israel should be paying their fair share for it. The rest of the Palestinians would return to the West Bank and Gaza Strip- which would be united to form Palestine.

I believe, from your comments, that your personal feelings about Israel are such that I don't wish to carry on this discussion any further.

Sorry, I don't conform to the Israel above all others sect. In case you hadn't missed it I am highly critical of the PA and Hamas. Neither is operating in the Palestinian people's best interests.

Don't worry

This will be my last post on any of your posted articles.