Thor the bulldog wins National Dog Show, drops hammer on 2,000 other good boys and girls

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 weeks ago  •  22 comments

By:   Alex Johnson

Thor the bulldog wins National Dog Show, drops hammer on 2,000 other good boys and girls
Diamond Gold Majesu Pisko Bulls, a 2-year-old, 60-pound tan and white bulldog better known as Thor, took Best in Show at the annual competition.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Kavika
1  Kavika     2 weeks ago

95% of all English bulldogs need artificial insemination, and a c-section to deliver. We've bred them for some extreme physical traits that make it now nearly impossible for them to breed on their own. And worse, the pups' heads are usually very large and the mother cant pass them down the birth canal. 

I really don't see physical attributes that make this dog a winner. The human intervention that sets up the need for artificial insemination and c-section to deliver is, IMO, ignorant. 

If you want a dog with size, power, intelligence and faithful this is your dog.

The American Staffordshire Terrier. 

1459986411_7565_7522.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @1    2 weeks ago

Almost all dog breeds are human inventions. It started towards the end of the 19th century and still continues today. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_breeding

Here is an interesting facto. Cat breeds, on the other hand, are naturally occurring, and are due to the regions of the world they come from. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cat_breeds

Check out the list, and see where the breed came from. There are some that are crossbreeds. My Wally is a crossbreed. He's a snowshoe and they are siamese with bi-color. 

Kathleen
1.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    2 weeks ago

My cat is a cross between a calico and a tabby. I guess a calico female mated with a tabby male.

Greg Jones
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @1    2 weeks ago
The American Staffordshire Terrier. 

Also known as a pit bull?

XDm9mm
1.2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 weeks ago
Also known as a pit bull?

Nope.  Both are close but distinct breeds.  And contrary to popular belief, Pit Bulls are quite gentle and loving animals.....   as long as they're brought up by their owners that way.

But then, any breed can be trained to be vicious and violent.  Hell, even full size poodles were once hunting dogs.  Mastiffs were also hunting and guard dogs, but they were trained over time not to bite and just body block their quarry to death to preserve the meat.  And when 200 pounds of dog drops it's shoulder and hits you running full out, you KNOW you've been hit!!

Kavika
1.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    2 weeks ago

Staffordshire Bull Terrier Vs Pitbull

By   Posted on

staffordshire-bull-terrier-vs-pitbull.jp

Any dog in the bully breed can be classified as a   pit bull , and all are derived from dogs that were originally a cross between some type of bulldog and a   terrier . The American Kennel Club does not recognize the American   Pit Bull Terrier , but does acknowledge a very similar breed, the   Staffordshire terrier .
Staffordshire bull terriers   and American   pit bull   terriers — commonly known as pit bulls — may look similar at first glance, but they're two distinct breeds. Although .
Staffordshire bull terriers   and   pit bull   terriers have a lot in common with one another, both physically and in terms of personality. Each is stocky, strong, with a .
The   Staffordshire Bull Terrier , aka the Staffie, is a smooth-coated, active, and agile dog with great strength for his size. This is a courageous, extremely obedient, .
There is some difference of opinion on this topic. The two dogs appear to be quite similar, in fact the   Staffordshire Bull Terrier   may be the ancestor of the   Pit Bull  .

There is also the English Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier and American Bulldog are closely related to the Staffordshire Terrier and the pit bull.

Bull Terrier

Bull+Terrier-breed.jpg

American Bulldog

%D7%91%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%93%D7%95%D7%92_%D7

English Staffordshire Terrier.

22496907_10214578151507046_2072195958_o-

Kathleen
2  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

Bulldogs are sweet dogs, they have such a nice personality.  My cousin is a vet and she said they are really great dogs. Most people say their personality is what made them their family pet, not other reasons.  I am happy they picked this dog, it’s not just looks and strength that make a great breed.

Kavika
2.1  Kavika   replied to  Kathleen @2    2 weeks ago

I didn't say they are not sweet dogs. My concern is that they cannot reproduce or give birth without a C section. If the pregnant female does not get a c section in the birth process they die as do the puppies. 

I've actually seen that happen when a pregnant female was abanded and we found her on the side of the road dying. Sad 

Kathleen
2.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Kavika @2.1    2 weeks ago

I did not say you didn’t.  I was only saying what a nice dog they are and I was glad they were recognized. Yes, that is very sad.  People can be very cruel.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

It's a toughie of a problem. The bulldog only somewhat recently (last 100 years or less) became this physical type. They should bring the shoulders back to a normal proportion so that the dogs can give birth the normal way while keeping their temperament and look.

Kavika
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

The English Bulldog looks nothing like the original of 100 years ago...It also suffers from numerous physical ailments because of the breeding done to it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    2 weeks ago

I think we are agreeing, Kavika. The English bulldog does not look now like it looked 100 years ago and I was saying that we should bring it back to the original standards. 

31F8C55700000578-3480780-image-m-9_14573

Humans have been domesticating dogs before they learned how to farm. But with our obsession to create a perfect breed, they are almost unrecognizable from their early ancestors. Here, the English bulldog is said to be the most changed dog from its ancestors, as it has endured so much breeding that it suffers from almost every disease possible.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 weeks ago

The dog shows are renown for promoting traits that are physically poor for the breed and the dog. It's time to re-examine our love of cute in favor of healthy. 

Breeders often follow these dog shows lead to make money. It's very sad. Working breeds become show breeds with a variety of genetic defects.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3    2 weeks ago

I totally agree. Breeding should include what is healthy for the dog and not what we want the dog to look like. 

It Is ME
5  It Is ME    2 weeks ago

He's so cute ! 

He just kept glancing up at his owner after they one.

"We did good....didn't we Dad" ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
5.1  Freefaller  replied to  It Is ME @5    2 weeks ago
"We did good....didn't we Dad" !

Lol or possibly "We did good...please don't cut off my balls"

It Is ME
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Freefaller @5.1    2 weeks ago

Don't snip a champion ! To much money lost if one does !

Tacos!
5.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Freefaller @5.1    2 weeks ago
please don't cut off my balls

Oh, they won't. Breeding is the whole point of these shows. If you're not into that, though, there are other events, like rally (agility), obedience, herding, etc., where that isn't the primary focus. 

Freefaller
5.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.2    2 weeks ago

Lol I know, I was just joshin

Paula Bartholomew
6  Paula Bartholomew    2 weeks ago

My 1SG had a bulldog named Bo.  His office was on the first floor and one day Bo came flying out the open window and landed on the soft grass.  I was horrified and went to his office to see if Bo was okay.  As it turned out it was a  game they played.  Bo loved going out of the window after Top would toss him.  They would do this all day long.

Tacos!
7  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

Apparently, he was worthy.

Buzz of the Orient
8  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

The fancy shows are for fancy purebreds - canine discrimination.  There should also be a mutt show.