╌>

5 health benefits of green tea

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   Melanie Lasoff Levs

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

For starters, it's bursting with antioxidant goodness.

green-tea.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Green tea offers more than a tasty cup. (Photo: Chiociolla/Shutterstock)

Tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world, with some reports stating that tea is second only to water in worldwide beverage consumption. Tea is   embedded in culture : The British have tea time, and Asian communities still practice ancient tea ceremonies.

Tea drinkers are onto something.

There are several health benefits of green tea in particular, due largely to the way it is processed. Unlike black and oolong tea leaves, which are fermented, green tea leaves are steamed, leaving a higher concentration of antioxidants, called polyphenols. These antioxidants are why green tea is widely promoted for its health benefits.

Though much research is yet to be done on the impact of green tea on health, widespread studies prove the attention is warranted, said Lauren Kolesa, a registered dietitian based in Morris County, New Jersey. “I think many of us are looking to more natural resources when planning meals and choosing products. The shift seems to be toward more ‘whole’ and ‘natural’ foods,” she said, adding, “Any food or product that touts anti-inflammatory properties seems to generate interest these days.”

Studies have indicated several benefits to green tea, such as:

Drinking green tea can help prevent heart disease.   Many studies have looked at the link between   green tea and heart health . Some research has shown that the antioxidants in green tea help block the oxidation of “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and increase the “good” (HDL) cholesterol, which helps improve artery function and stave off heart disease.

Green tea may reduce inflammation.   Green tea has been shown to   calm the body's immune system   by stimulating anti-inflammatory responses. Inflammation has been linked to various cancers, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, heart conditions and other inflammatory diseases.

Green tea assists in weight loss.   Some small studies have shown that drinking green tea — and, in some instances, consuming green tea extract — has helped with   moderate weight loss , possibly because of the diuretic properties of green tea and those powerful antioxidants.

The antioxidants in green tea can help protect against certain types of cancer. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center , several clinical studies have shown that both green tea and black tea can help protect, but not necessarily prevent, cancer, as “researchers also believe that polyphenols help kill cancerous cells and stop their progression.” Green tea has the highest impact on cancers including bladder, breast, prostate and skin, according to the University of Maryland medical reference. Studies have been conducted on the impact of green tea on other forms of cancer with conflicting results.

Green tea could play a role in regulating the body’s glucose levels.   Studies cited by the University of Maryland Medical Center website found that “daily supplementation…with green tea extract powder lowered the hemoglobin A1c level in individuals with borderline diabetes.”

How do you get the most out of your green tea consumption? The most successful clinical studies on the benefits of green tea suggest it’s best to drink at least three cups per day, freshly brewed. Kolesa said she encourages clients to drink the home-brewed version of green tea rather than bottled brands, which have sugar.

Before considering green tea — or any remedy — for medicinal or health purposes, discuss its benefits with your doctor, Kolesa added. "Green tea can interact with a number of medications."

Editor's note: This story has been updated with new information since it was published in February 2012.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Actually, I'm not particular about the taste of green tea, and I rarely drink tea anyway.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Red has green tea every day. It really helps with muscle inflammation. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago
It really helps with muscle inflammation. 

Don't know if she knows this,.but two other powerful natural anti-inflammatoriy foods are Tumeric and Ginger.

1. Turmeric one of the the most powerful natural anti-inflammatories. However Curcumin, the active ingredient, is not absorbed well. So it should be consumed with a pinch of Black Pepper as well as having some fat or oil in your stomach. I buy the powder (Organic Only!). The only downside to using the powder is that it stains like crazy and on clothes the stains are hard to remove, So handle with care if you use the powder! (I put it in stews and soups-- also in Tea).

You can also buy Turmeric Root and grate it. (Its related to Ginger and the roots look similar except Tumeric Root is thinner and its a bright Orange colour).

Finally you can buy capsules with Tumeric powder and Bioperine, an extract of Black Pepper that enhances absorption.

Oh and there's also a more expensive option-- Turmeric with Meriva brand extract (The Curcumin is in a lipid complex that enhances absorption)..

2. Ginger: Also has anti-inflammatory power, IIRC slightly less powerful than Tumeric. Doesn't stain like Tumeric and I don't think you need to take it with Pepper.I use the root and put it in Stews, Soups, and even Oatmeal.

There are other natural anti-inflammatories. I personally consume Matcha tea, Tumeric, and Ginger daily. Fortunately I live close to a Whole foods market so I can find organic versions of just about any food,and since Amazonaquired them the prices are low.. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @2.1    5 years ago

Yup, she uses both as do I, Krishna.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.1    5 years ago

P.S: I believe Omega-3 Fatty Acids also have anti-inflammatory properties. A good source is Salmon (Wild caught Pacific only-- not farmed!). Or you can take a reputable brand of Omega 3 caps. (Canned is OK but only if the cans are "BPA free"). Or Sardines or Herring (if you can find them in BPA free cans).

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    5 years ago

I like the taste of green tea and always have iced green available.   I add a little honey when hot to soften the edges.

Not a bad choice for a mainstay drink other than water.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  Krishna    5 years ago

I regularly drink at least 2 cups per day. But I don't use the brewed version-- rather I use Matcha.

(Here's some Info on Matcha ).

And is the case with all foods I prepare at home I only use Certified Organic.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

i'm envious 

of

it

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  Krishna  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5    5 years ago

I had always wondered why you had that greenish tinge LOL! :-)

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @5.1    5 years ago

it ganged up on me