Successful heart surgery using sound waves takes place for first time in Israel

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  one month ago  •  10 comments

By:   No Author Incicated

Yet another miraculous medical breakthrough achieved by Israel.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Dr. Yaron Almagor, director of the Catheterization Unit at Shaare Zedek Medical Center, said the new method is “significant news for many patients who have up until now had to undergo complex treatments and surgeries.”

Heart-Surgery-880x495.jpg

Heart surgery. Credit: Pixabay.

(December 13, 2019   /   JNS)   A cardiac catheterization using sound waves was successfully performed for the first time in Israel on Sunday by the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem.

The procedure was done to treat a complex case of severe arterial congestion,  reported  the  Tazpit News Agency.

The 66-year-old patient had calcium build-up, and doctors used special equipment developed by SHOCKWAVE after a previously performed catheterization failed to help the issue.

The treatment consists of “the deployment of a tiny balloon filled with fluid and tiny balls at the point where there is a build-up of calcium within the artery,” according to  Tazpit.  “After the balloon is in place, sound waves are triggered to create a rapid movement of the balls which create cracks in the calcium inside the artery. The cracks allow for the elasticity of the artery and the insertion of a stent in the same location, without damaging the artery.”

Dr. Yaron Almagor, director of the Catheterization Unit at Shaare Zedek Medical Center, said the new method is “significant news for many patients who have up until now had to undergo complex treatments and surgeries.”

In the past, catheterization had not been possible to treat complex cases of calcium accumulation in the arteries because it could damage or rupture the artery. Instead, patients suffering from congestive arterial congestion had to undergo bypass surgery.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Buzz of the Orient
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    one month ago

This has a similarity to a wave impact machine (although a little more complex) that is used to shatter impacted kidney stones so that they will easily pass out through urination - no surgical procedure would be required for that.

Buzz of the Orient
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    one month ago

(self-deleted)

TTGA
3  TTGA    one month ago

They probably do Buzz.  It's just outside their universe of experience.  These days, anything more complex than "GET TRUMP" is just too far away from their reality for it to matter.  After the next election is over, things will change radically.  Wish you could get Facebook.  There are people there who make some sense, some are old friends from the adult group.  I'll say "howdy" for you.

Buzz of the Orient
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @3    one month ago

Thanks, Rock. 

loki12
4  loki12    one month ago

I appreciate you bringing some non-politics to this site, I’m not real familiar with the site, so I’m not sure how to find the articles that get pushed off because they don’t get tons of traffic,

this is interesting, I have some questions that I will have to research, when doing a bypass the calcium is removed and a clean artery is put in its place. In this case the calcium isn’t removed, what happens to it? What if a chunk breaks away? What if the balloon ruptures? While non evasive surgery like this is awesome, and Israel has been on the cutting edge, I would like to look deeper. But this could be a game changer for some.

Buzz of the Orient
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  loki12 @4    one month ago

I believe that most of the articles/seeds I post are not political, but I also believe that most of the members here are really interested in little more than politics and religion.  This article was up for 18 hours before anyone made a comment, a like, or a thumbs-up to indicate that they had even looked at it.  I had to post a remark about that before anyone made a comment.  Articles that are not politics or religion get pushed off the front page fairly quickly if nobody bothers to post something on them. 

Buzz of the Orient
4.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  loki12 @4    one month ago

Actually, I can tell you how to check back to see articles that could be among those in which you are interested.  At the top of the page you will see a banner that has link words like Home, Track, Publish, Groups, etc.  Click on the word "Track" and it will open a page that shows on the left a list of your recent posted articles and seeds, and on the right it will have a list of the many forum topics.  Click on the forum topic that is of interest to you and it will open a list of articles/seeds that go back in time, how far back depends on the popularity of the topic.  For example, if your interest is "Wine and Food", if you open it you will see approximately two years of articles/seeds and you can browse through them.  Of course there are so many more news articles that if you click on that topic you will see mostly recent articles/seeds, but still quite a few that have been pushed off the front page.   

loki12
4.2.1  loki12  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2    one month ago

Thank you for the tip Sir. 

Buzz of the Orient
4.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  loki12 @4.2.1    one month ago

A couple of corrections:  The left side column shows a list of the articles/seeds you currently posted, followed by a list of others' articles/seeds that you have been following, or have posted a comment on.   On the right, the News and Politics link really does not give you much past what is presently on the Front Page. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    one month ago

Great story Buzz. So wonderful the new innovations coming out! 

Of course, Loki makes a good point when he said that we need to see more of these surgeries done, but we this could be a game changer.