╌>

Aiine Asks Passengers to Leave After Flight Deemed 'Too Heavy' to Fly

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

By:   Patrick Clarke

Aiine Asks Passengers to Leave After Flight Deemed 'Too Heavy' to Fly
No one is volunteering.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

At least five passengers were asked to disembark a Loganair flight in the U.K. last weekend after the aircraft was deemed "too heavy" to complete the brief trip from London to Derry, Northern Ireland.

According to The Independent, the Saturday morning flight was originally delayed due to bad weather. Independent journalist Ben Kelly was on the flight and reported on the situation from his seat.

"Very disappointing situation @SouthendAirport with @FlyLoganair. My flight to Derry has about 50 people on it and now we’re told it’s too heavy and 5 people are being asked to get off the flight so it can leave. No one is volunteering..." he wrote in a Twitter post. "The alternative for the people who get off the flight is having to leave this airport to go to another London airport to be flown to Belfast, which is 1.5-2 hours away from Derry."

According to Kelly, three passengers eventually agreed to leave the plane while two others were selected to disembark since they were the last to check-in.

The airline apologized to customers for the delay but defended the decision to remove customers, citing safety reasons.

"The main reason for Saturday morning's delayed departure from Southend was bad weather at Derry. Had it left on schedule the flight would have been diverted to Belfast International," the regional carrier's chief executive Jonathan Hinkles told The Independent.

"When the weather cleared at Derry, a combination of low pressure and rainfall left the runway surface at Southend in a condition which imposed limitations on the aircraft performance. The aircraft was consequently over its maximum available take-off weight for the conditions," added Hinkles. "Five customers volunteered to travel via another routing to Derry. The full costs of this will be covered by Loganair and the customers have each been offered €250 ($277) in compensation."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    5 years ago

Will the fat-ass in seat 5c, the tub-o-lard in 12b, the man sitting in seats 14e and 14f, and the  flight attendant sitting in the aft jumpseat who thinks she is too senior to adhere to height/weight requirements, please gather your belongings and get the hell off the plane.     

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    5 years ago

I hate flying. And part of the reason is the flight attendants. I have flown for many years, and the flight attendants were much nicer, very cooperative, considerate of passengers comfort and and willing to do what they can to make your trip pleasant.

The ones over the past 4 years that I was flying were anything but. I got blocked in my seat by the person in from of me who had their seat leaned as far back as they could, with his head almost in my lap. When I had to go to the restroom, I very nicely asked them to raise their seat so I could get out of my seat. They totally ignored me. I asked again, a little nicer, and they just waved me off. When I tried to get an attendant to help get the person to raise their seat, they ignored me as well. Rather than pee myself, I smacked the person's forehead in not so nice a way and told them to raise their &$@%** seat in a very loud voice. That got the attention of both the person and the attendant. Luckily, there was no one in the restroom at the time so I didn't have to endure the rest of the flight in my wet undies. 

The attendant asked me why I didn't get her attention before I smacked the person, and when I told her I tried and she totally ignored me, she acted like I was making a false accusation. And the person sat with their seat upright the rest of the trip, with a bright red forehead.

I'm really glad that I don't have to fly anymore. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    5 years ago
I have flown for many years, and the flight attendants were much nicer, very cooperative, considerate of passengers comfort and and willing to do what they can to make your trip pleasant.

I wonder if its just flight attendants-- or people in general? It seems that the last year or two there are a lot of people who are usually annoyed at someone or something....annoyed...or annoying! Of course there are exceptions, but so many more people seem more irritable and unpleasant.

Professor Guide
1.1.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    5 years ago

There are definitely some stinker flight attendants out there.  Prior to the advent of social media, there were many more.

On a related note, back in my day, we would get our jollies dealing with the kind of passenger you had sitting in front of you.  There is a multitude of innocuous pay-back scenarios designed to humble even the jerkiest of passengers.  Of course I never participated in such juvenile activities...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    5 years ago
but so many more people seem more irritable and unpleasant.

I have never read or seen so many people with totally bad behavior on planes as there has been in the past two years or so. I think part of the problem is the number of rows and seats being so very close to each other that people are so uncomfortable and irritable in being so close to each other, and those who are so thoughtless as to do things that really tick people off. 

There are some thoughtful and helpful attendants that do their best to help passengers as best they can, but, they have to follow the rules that obviously are not made with passenger comfort in mind.

I worked for San Diego Trolley for 17 years and loved riding the trains to and from work all week. I always rode in the train that the shipyard guys rode, as anyone who got out of line was ejected at the next station by them. (grin)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.2    5 years ago
Of course I never participated in such juvenile activities...

Of course not....sweet Sister would never participate in such schoolyard activities......(grin)

Professor Guide
1.1.5  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.4    5 years ago

jrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.5    5 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.2    5 years ago

Of course you didn't. Oh my there is that forked tongue thingy...jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.8  Greg Jones  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    5 years ago

I think the flight attendants are simply responding to the "new" reality of the arrogant, entitled, rude, and aggressive types of pax they have to put up with nowadays.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    5 years ago

There once was a flight through to Derry,

Whose weight was said to be scary,

So they kicked off some fatties,

Five all beef patties,

Then the plane flew light as a fairy.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3    5 years ago

Now that is a great poem. (smile)

Professor Guide
1.3.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.3    5 years ago

Very clever! 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.3.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Raven Wing @1.3.1    5 years ago

I just thought a limerick would be appropriate for this story.

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    5 years ago

I weight a mere 200 lbs period (for years now) and you would not have to ask me twice to surrender my seat to control weight levels. Homie, don't intend to become air-kill if I don't have to. Nice ending to this air story. I like that!

Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  CB @2    5 years ago
Homie don't intend to become air-kill if I don't have to.

Ha!

In all my years of flying, both professionally and as a passenger, I've never known an airline to throw people off a flight due to weather-related weight restrictions.  Usually it's a matter of cargo and/or passenger weight redistribution.  Different countries, different rules I suppose. 

On a somewhat related note, Air France flight attendants are allowed to drink wine with .their crew meals, or at least they used to.  Not sure about now.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1    5 years ago

Most French people drink wine with their lunch and go back to work.  If I drink at lunch I don't want to go back to work so usually I don't drink at lunch.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  CB @2    5 years ago

If the pilot doesn't want to fly the plane I don't either.  I once had to wait in Miami for about 5 hours while they waited for a part to be flown in to fix the plane.  Lots of people were upset.  Not me.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

A true story.

Back in the 70's I was on a business trip and was flying out of Yakima WN on a puddle jumper to Seattle. 

It was extremely hot, well over 100 degrees, and an announcement was made that we had to lighten up the plane and asked for volunteers to wait until the next flight which was the next day. No volunteers so they asked the last couple of people that boarded to exit, I was one of the two, and I refused and asked that instead of asking passengers to deplane why not ask all of the people that brought sacks of Walla Walla Sweets on board to remove them from the plane. They are 25 lb sacks of the world famous onions in the cabin and in luggage...

A 1/2 hour later we lumbered down the runway hoping that we'd clear the trees at the end. Sitting on the ground behind was were 20 to 30 bags of onions.

True story. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4  Enoch    5 years ago

Seems the girth of a passenger was too much for the London Derry Air.

As long as a customer doesn't have their own waistline and hips gravitational field I say let them fly.

Enoch, Buckling My Seat Belt.