╌>

'Morning Joe' hosts say CNN Democratic debate 'painful,' call out moderator's 'bizarre' question

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  4 years ago  •  46 comments

By:    David Montanaro

'Morning Joe' hosts say CNN Democratic debate 'painful,' call out moderator's 'bizarre' question
“He says he didn’t say it. So you turn to Elizabeth Warren and say, 'Did he say it?' That’s the issue. I mean, it’s bizarre," Brzezinski said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The hosts of "Morning Joe" issued stinging criticism Wednesday of the CNN Democratic debate in Iowa, calling it "painful" that the candidates were "bickering" about a two-year-old conversation in which Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., alleges that Sen. Bernie  Sanders, I-Vt., told her a female candidate cannot defeat President Trump in 2020.
Despite Sanders' repeated denials, co-host Mika Brzezinski said CNN political correspondent Abby Phillip's questions on the issue were confusing to watch.

“He says he didn’t say it. So you turn to Elizabeth Warren and say, 'Did he say it?' That’s the issue. I mean, it’s bizarre," Brzezinski said.
"What the heck happened there? Are they listening? Because you gotta listen when you do a debate and then take the question to the next candidate," Brzezinski added, as panelists Donny Deutsch and Karine Jean-Pierre agreed it was a "miss."
Brzezinski said Democrats on the stage should have been proving they can take on Trump in November but instead were "bickering about a conversation that happened at a private event" two years ago.

"It's also painful to watch these candidates argue about this," she said.
"The Democratic base doesn't want to see this; they want to know how you're going to beat Donald Trump. That's what they want to see," said Jean-Pierre, as co-host Joe Scarborough called it "small-ball" for Democrats and said, "Nobody looked good on the debate stage."
"America's standing in the world is at risk. Our government and everything that we have believed that it was striving to be is at risk, and Dems are debating what someone may have said on the telephone two years ago," he added.

Meanwhile, CNN was accused of "media malpractice" over its handling of the disputed claim from Warren Tuesday night.
The liberal news network broke the story on Monday. The network cited unnamed sources close to Warren who claimed that the Vermont senator told her that he didn't believe she could win a presidential election because she's a woman. Sanders denied the claim, but Warren affirmed the report.
Sanders was asked about the dustup by Phillip.
"CNN reported yesterday that -- and Senator Warren confirmed in a statement -- that in 2018 you told her that you did not believe that a woman can win the election. Why did you say that?" Phillip asked.

"Well, as a matter of fact, I didn't say it," Sanders sharply replied. "Anybody who knows me knows that it's incomprehensible that I would think that a woman cannot be president of the United States. Go to YouTube today.  There's some video of me 30 years ago talking about how a woman could become president of the United States."
"Sen. Warren, what did you think when Sen. Sanders told you a woman could not win an election?" Phillip then asked the progressive rival, which sparked audible laughs in the auditorium and a shake of the head from Sanders.
Warren and Sanders had a testy moment after the debate, when she refused to shake his hand.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    4 years ago

Ah yes Democrats least favorite subject, their candidates.

I didn't watch much but I did catch the, you said he said drama. I'll have to go with Bernie on this one, Warren is known for distorting the truth. Everything else about the debate...boring.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.2    replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago
Warren is known for distorting the truth

Warren is always playing the victim.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  @1.2    4 years ago
Warren is always playing the victim.

Well she is a liberal...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago

That’s why I watched the Trump rally instead.  At least there we had pro America patriotic comments from our great American President.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.4    4 years ago

yes, but the Democratic/CNN clown show was amusing and entertaining.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.4.2  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @1.4.1    4 years ago

So, Trump getting his fat corrupt lying ass impeached amused you? That is odd and amusing. You do realize that illegally conspiring with a foreign government to illegally interfere with our national elections is exactly the highest of high crimes our nation's founders imagined. Don't you? I guess that whole Hamilton and Maddison thingy completely evaded you. Huh? Trump should be removed merely for obstructing the investigation and for refusing to cooperate with Congress. It is called Obstruction of Justice...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1.4.2    4 years ago
So, Trump getting his fat corrupt lying ass impeached amused you?

Gee, here is precisely what I actually wrote:

yes, but the Democratic/CNN clown show was amusing and entertaining.

Your reply has not one single thing to do with what I wrote.

[Deleted]

[And write inane responses.]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    4 years ago

Politicians and some Newstalkers here are very good at trying to put words in other peoples mouths.   They are also good at not accepting what was really said when its inconvenient to the narrative they're pushing at the moment.

It's pretty sad!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @2    4 years ago

Yep. Some are right here on this page right now.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JBB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    4 years ago

Yeah, how dare anyone express anything other than the gop approved far rightwing party line?

You know what else Joe Scarborough says? He is always saying Trump is unfit for office and a threat to world peace and stability who should be convicted by the Senate and removed from office. Joe says that lots...

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.2    replied to  JBB @2.1.1    4 years ago
how dare anyone express anything other than the gop approved far rightwing party line?

You're pretty good at expressing the far leftwing Democratic party line.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    4 years ago

Did I specifically mention any particular names or party affiliation? No I did not! And I do not watch "Morning Joe" anyway. Don't like starting my days off with vitriolic politics.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    4 years ago

See, there you go again.   Pressing your partisan bias when not called for.

SOSDD

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.5  katrix  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.3    4 years ago
No I did not! And I do not watch "Morning Joe" anyway. Don't like starting my days off with vitriolic politics.

My ex used to watch the McLaughlin Report on Saturday mornings (or Sunday .,.. can't remember which). It drove me nuts. The last thing I want when I'm having coffee, reading the paper, enjoying the morning is listening to a bunch of grown men screaming at each other about politics. I started having my coffee out on the deck.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  katrix @2.1.5    4 years ago

Amen.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.6    4 years ago

I had to laugh when I read comment 2.1 yesterday because only one "liberal" had commented at that point...

jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.7    4 years ago

Fell free to laugh all you wish, makes no difference to me because I sincerely was not attempting to single out either side. Again, I never mentioned any names or affiliations.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.1.9  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.8    4 years ago
I never mentioned any names or affiliations.

Well it appears some people were triggered by your comment.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  katrix @2.1.5    4 years ago
The last thing I want when I'm having coffee, reading the paper, enjoying the morning is listening to a bunch of grown men screaming at each other about politics.

Not even "Morton" Kondrake or the infamous "Beattle" Barnes?  And what of the suits John McLaughlin used to wear?  Not interested, huh?  Ok...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  @2.1.2    4 years ago

You got that right.  We said.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @2.1.9    4 years ago

It doesn’t take much to trigger snowflake secular progressives 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.13  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.10    4 years ago

I always liked that program