╌>

Justice department cracking down on robocalls

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  32 comments

Justice department cracking down on robocalls
The DOJ is taking civil action against five companies and three individuals in the U.S. that are allegedly responsible for attempting to defraud Americans with hundreds of millions of robocalls.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  Sparty On    4 years ago

About damn time.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  Sparty On @1    4 years ago

You can say that again ! Not a day goes by that I don't get at least three of these calls and some days it's a dozen or more, it's crazy.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  zuksam @1.1    4 years ago

Yep and getting worse by the day it seems

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.1    4 years ago

It's awful. At least now my hardwired phone is saying "Fraudulent call" more than before. But it really bugs me when it's on my cell phone. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I unplugged my land line because it was 99 percent robo calls.  I can still see who is calling because the call log shows on my TV.  I still keep that active just in case someone I really want to talk to shows up on it.  Then I just call them back on my cell phone.

user image
Freshman Silent
4      4 years ago

Bout time. I'm tired of getting called about "my cars extended warranty". I'm glad Trump's DOJ is helping everyday Americans.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  @4    4 years ago

Hey man .... i got a lifetime warranty for all my cars from one of those guys .... present and future ......jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Jordan G
Freshman Silent
4.2  Jordan G  replied to  @4    4 years ago
I'm tired of getting called about "my cars extended warranty".

That's one of the calls I get several times a week. My car is 22 years old

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    4 years ago

I keep getting calls about student loans, and I never had a student loan

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @5    4 years ago

My son was getting those when he was 13.  He trolled the callers.  "Bro, nobody cares.  About you, bro.  You're pathetic and nobody cares about you."

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1    4 years ago

LMAO!!

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1    4 years ago
He trolled the callers.

I still do that!  I figure the longer I have them tied up on the phone, the less time they have to bother someone else!  Sometimes after they answer when I push the button to speak to the Representative, I start out with an accented "I am to be calling you today because your computer is infected with a virus. You must give me access to your computer so I can remove it".

They hang up faster than I used to...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.1.2    4 years ago

The way to frustrate call-centre sales calls is to tell the caller to hold on a minute, my baby's crying, but I'm really interested in what you have to tell me, then don't hang up but just put the phone down  and go do something else - that ties them up from pestering other people for a while. 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
6  Wishful_thinkin    4 years ago

I have received calls about my SSN and my Apple products (I don't own any Apple products at all).  My favorite was when I received a call on my cell phone from my own cell phone number.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @6    4 years ago

I get hit up all the time about my apple ID. It must be successful or otherwise, they wouldn't do it.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

If I don't recognize the number, sometimes I will answer................just for the fun.

I either say "you're caller number ten and you're on the air" or, my favorite. "sheriff's department fraud division this is officer James. How can I help you?"

And **POOF** gone.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7    4 years ago

Too funny!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Just got the call about fraudulent activity involving my social security number last week.  There's a report option at the Social Security Administration website.  I reported it, but I doubt anything will come of it, as I didn't lose any money.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.1  1stwarrior  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    4 years ago

I've got 1,331 "blocked" calls that I've reported to the "Don't Call" list - nuthin bein' done.

Total BS.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1    4 years ago

Apparently that is not working for you 1st. Call your provider! 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1    4 years ago

I've never reported any from the "Do Not Call" list.  I figured nothing would happen.  But for this one, I happened to be planning to log in on the SSA website, anyway, and there was a link.  The call was fresh on my mind, so I reported.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.1    4 years ago

The provider, Verizon, put me on an automatic block program for numbers that haven't ever called me before and for calls that have no ID.

Working, but still get a lot.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    4 years ago

I have nomorobo on my home phone (through Spectrum).  Some calls do come through but they never leave a message.  I google the phone numbers to see if anyone else has reported said number.  Most times it's the IRS scam, SS scam, car warranty, a non existent cancer fund, a fake police fund, surveys, medical scam to get you to buy a walker or some medical device, microsoft scam, apple scam. 

I have also been getting a lot of email spam.  Lately consisting of a CVS scam, an AOL scam that says my account will be deleted in 24 hours.

Then there was a recent text scam involving M&T Bank (I don't bank there) that some local people fell for.

Unfortunately the scammers keep coming up with new ways to scam.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

Thanks for the info on the spam email. Those can be deadly to your computer and to you personally.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2  Sparty On  replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

The sad part is, if many of these people put that amount of effort into making an honest living, they probably would be fine and wouldn't have to try and scam other people.

Jordan G
Freshman Silent
10  Jordan G    4 years ago

I don't answer calls if they're not in my contact list. I figure if its important they'll leave a message, the times they do its a machine recording. I've given up on blocking numbers because they keep coming from new numbers everyday.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jordan G @10    4 years ago

It's true that there is no way to block all those numbers. But at least my phone is beginning to tell me when they think it's fraudulent. Maybe your phone service might soon.