╌>

The Case for Amy Klobuchar

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  24 comments

The Case for Amy Klobuchar
She can win over the voters that Democrats need.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Since President Trump took office, Democrats have been having a passionate debate about what matters more: increasing progressive turnout or winning over swing voters. And there is no doubt that both tactics help Democrats win elections. But the evidence about which tactic matters   more   is pretty overwhelming. Persuasion does.

Take one stark pattern: In the 2018 midterms, many Democratic candidates who ran persuasion campaigns flipped areas that had gone for President Trump in 2016.   Not a single Democrat   won a competitive state or House district with an unabashedly progressive campaign.

Yet the presidential field is   dominated   by candidates who haven’t had to worry about persuading swing voters in years, if ever. Delaware (Joe Biden’s home), Massachusetts (Elizabeth Warren’s) and Vermont (Bernie Sanders’s) all voted against Trump by large margins. Pete Buttigieg and Mike Bloomberg were each the mayor of an overwhelmingly Democratic city.

The best case for Amy Klobuchar is that she’s the only remaining candidate with a track record of winning over the kind of voters that the Democrats will need to beat Trump. She has built her career on a middle-class image that avoids the leftism of Sanders or Warren and the elitism of Buttigieg or Bloomberg. As for Biden, Klobuchar looks sharper than he does — and she has a much more impressive electoral history.

She won all three of her Senate campaigns in Minnesota by more than 20 percentage points. Trump, by comparison, lost the state by only 1.5 points in 2016. Klobuchar did it by winning suburbs that normally lean right and holding her own in many rural areas.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

At this stage, of course, Klobuchar is unlikely to be the nominee. She hasn’t quite figured out how to adapt her approach for the scale of a presidential race. Too often, she still seems to be running for Senate, talking about committee assignments and legislative co-sponsors instead of telling a story about the country.

Still, Democrats would be wise to remember that her success in Minnesota is no mystery. It is the main way Democrats have won elections over the past decade, and it’s a strategy that any Democratic nominee,  even Sanders , can mimic:

Pound away at simple economic issues — on which the country’s voters are legitimately progressive. De-emphasize cultural issues — on which voters are much more divided. And don’t give in to fantasies involving millions of left-wing  nonvoters  who are just waiting to show up at the polls.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

This independent centrist is already a fan of Amy's. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Amy would probably be my number one pick. By the time the primaries reach Illinois though she will likely be out of the race. 

She would make a really good president. 

I think her problem is that she has been relatively unknown nationally before she ran for president. All of the other contenders except Buttigieg had a higher national profile from the start. This presidential run will make her a force in the Senate though, and in centrist Democratic circles, and she can run again in the future. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago
she can run again in the future. 

I believe that is the best possible outcome of her present run. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.3  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

Pretty sure that Amy Klobuchar is now known.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    4 years ago

Klobuchar appears far too sane to win the Democratic nomination.

Bernie or bust!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Texan1211 @3    4 years ago

Do you think she would be a better president than the current one?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1    4 years ago

Possibly, but I don't see how she even has a chance. Way too far behind, and not expecting her to do very well on Tuesday.

To me, she seems to be the sanest Democrat running.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @3    4 years ago

This independent centrist hopes democrats nominate her. She can win against Trump and will make a great President.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago

a musical tribute !

maybe she needs an old fashioned campaign song

ONCE IN LOVE WITH AMY - Barry Manilow

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

Great idea!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

She's been running an ad here in Arkansas. I like what she has to say.

I have to make a decision before tomorrow. I really don't want Bernie or Joe

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 years ago

Butt, Joe Biden is by far the strongest candidate against Trump in the swing states which the Democrats must win in order to beat Trump. Minnesota, Michigan, Arizona, Pennsylvania and Florida will decide the race for the EC. Trump would romp over Bernie. Admittedly Biden is olde though so are Trump, Bloomberg and Bernie.

Better safe than sorry. My money is still on Biden.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @5.1    4 years ago

I don't live in a swing state. The senate race is actually more important in Arkansas than the POTUS. We all know that trmp is going to take Arkansas in the general

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

I love Amy. I hope she ends up on the ticket as VP. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1  cjcold  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    4 years ago

I would vote for her as president.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6.1.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  cjcold @6.1    4 years ago

Here moderate positioning is a great appeal. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Larry Hampton @6.1.1    4 years ago

The fact that she is smart and sane is also a big plus. Trump is neither.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    4 years ago

This is not Klobuchar's time.   Her time is now---to return to the senate and be the excellent senator she has always been.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @8    4 years ago

Now it is Trump time until Jan 20, 2025.  Then it will be Haley-Rubio time.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    4 years ago

Hedge the bet.