╌>

Mike Pence encourages Americans to pray, keep tithing to church

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  4 years ago  •  49 comments

By:    Anugrah Kumar

Mike Pence encourages Americans to pray, keep tithing to church
“And of course the chorus of prayers that is coming up from communities of faith around the country is making the difference that it always has in the life of this nation.” He and President Donald Trump had promised to “remind people that on the weekends that you’re not in the pews, it’s still a good idea, if you can, to go ahead and make that donation.” He explained that “all the ministries are continuing to play a vital role in our communities and we encourage your continued support.”

Thank you Vice President Pence.  Faith based charities will remain at the forefront of the relief efforts during this crisis.  Tithes and offerings are essential to providing those services. Pence is correct.  It was also good of Pence to remind Americans to pray in addition to all the precautions being taken.  

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

138326_w_450_300.jpg

As churches have made the hard choice of suspending services, churchgoing Americans should continue to send their tithes as ministries are playing a vital role in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, Vice President Mike Pence said at a White House press briefing Saturday.

Americans are responding to the novel coronavirus pandemic with “common sense, compassion and generosity,”  Pence said  and praised religious leaders and faith communities for their continued service.

“Making the hard choice to suspend services, to have online services, even while those ministries are continuing to support food banks and come alongside of the most vulnerable,” he said.

“And of course the chorus of prayers that is coming up from communities of faith around the country is making the difference that it always has in the life of this nation.” 

He and President Donald Trump had promised to “remind people that on the weekends that you’re not in the pews, it’s still a good idea, if you can, to go ahead and make that donation.” He explained that “all the ministries are continuing to play a vital role in our communities and we encourage your continued support.”

Also on Saturday, Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, tested negative for coronavirus, according to a statement tweeted by his press secretary, Katie Miller,  The Hill reported . A member of the vice president’s staff had recently tested positive for COVID 19.

As of early Sunday, there were over 300,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in 184 countries, areas or territories, with a death toll of over 13,000, according to  Johns Hopkins University .

In the United States, the number of confirmed cases jumped to more than 26,000 with more than 340 deaths.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy on Saturday issued a stay-at-home order for nearly all of the state’s 9 million residents, according to  NBC News .

“We must flatten the curve and ensure residents are practicing social distancing,” Murphy said. “Even with this order in effect, life in New Jersey does not have to come to a complete standstill.”

California, Illinois, New York and Pennsylvania are among the states that have taken such desperate measures.

However, amid the coronavirus scare, stories of hope and resilience are emerging.

Last week, a 90 year-old Seattle woman, Geneva Wood, who contracted coronavirus at a senior care facility, recovered, according to  CBS News . A CDC investigation found that 62 percent of the roughly 130 elderly residents had become infected at Life Care Center and more than a quarter of them have died.

Wood has five kids, 11 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, and 3 great great grandchildren.

Her grand daughter in law, Kate Neidigh, said, “The love of her family had been a driving force in everything she did pre-coronavirus. No way was this going to change after-the-fact.”

Meanwhile, a recent video clip of a 6-year-old girl teaching a Bible verse, 2 Timothy 1:7, from memory to her 7-year-old brother to calm his fears over the novel coronavirus pandemic  is going viral on social media .

“My son Brandon has crippling fear cause of his #autism. His sister taught him a scripture she learned at @FellowshipMiss2 Church to help,”  tweeted Sheletta Brundidge , a mother of four and children’s author, with the video. “Stop letting your fear of #Coronavirus be bigger than your faith in God. Plead The Blood, pray and wash your hands. Amen!”

Governments around the world are scrambling to limit the spread of the coronavirus and are facing criticism of anxious citizens and journalists.

At the press briefing Saturday, President Trump  defended  his administration’s response in the initial days of the coronavirus crisis.

“I get a lot of credit for having closed our country very early to a very heavily infected country, China,” he said. “Unfortunately, China … I wish China would have told us more about what was going on in China long prior to us reading about it.”

President Trump was responding to a report in  The Washington Post  claiming that U.S. intelligence agencies issued ominous, classified warnings in January and February about the global danger posed by the coronavirus but Trump and lawmakers played down the threat.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

However, amid the coronavirus scare, stories of hope and resilience are emerging.

Last week, a 90 year-old Seattle woman, Geneva Wood, who contracted coronavirus at a senior care facility, recovered, according to  CBS News . A CDC investigation found that 62 percent of the roughly 130 elderly residents had become infected at Life Care Center and more than a quarter of them have died.

Wood has five kids, 11 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, and 3 great great grandchildren.

Her grand daughter in law, Kate Neidigh, said, “The love of her family had been a driving force in everything she did pre-coronavirus. No way was this going to change after-the-fact.”

Meanwhile, a recent video clip of a 6-year-old girl teaching a Bible verse, 2 Timothy 1:7, from memory to her 7-year-old brother to calm his fears over the novel coronavirus pandemic  is going viral on social media .

“My son Brandon has crippling fear cause of his #autism. His sister taught him a scripture she learned at @FellowshipMiss2 Church to help,” tweeted Sheletta Brundidge , a mother of four and children’s author, with the video. “Stop letting your fear of #Coronavirus be bigger than your faith in God. Plead The Blood, pray and wash your hands. Amen!”

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    4 years ago

Rules of civility apply.  Also stay on topic.  The topic is Americans responses to the crisis based on words and actions of our national leaders.  It is not a place to question religion in general or any one version of it. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1    4 years ago
of course the chorus of prayers that is coming up from communities of faith around the country is making the difference that it always has in the life of this nation

prove it

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    4 years ago

Well it seems that those tithings are needed to pay off the preacher's Learjet.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    4 years ago
“My son Brandon has crippling fear cause of his  #autism . His sister taught him a scripture she learned at @FellowshipMiss2 Church to help,”  tweeted Sheletta Brundidge  , a mother of four and children’s author, with the video. “Stop letting your fear of  #Coronavirus  be bigger than your faith in God. Plead The Blood, pray and wash your hands. Amen!”

If prayer is all you need for your God to spare your life, why are Christians, worldwide, afraid of the Coronavirus?  Don't they have faith in their God to protect them?  If he won't protect them, why are they praying to him?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
2  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Is the President’s spiritual advisor’s church also included?

Trump’s Spiritual Adviser Paula White Is Using the Coronavirus Crisis to Bankroll Her Church

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @2    4 years ago

I’d like to thank our Vice President for his very good advice on the matter of the seeded article and thank our President for all he’s done so far including the related national day of prayer.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    4 years ago

You eatjrSmiley_102_smiley_image.gif their crap like you are seated at the last supper table.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    4 years ago

Right on!!!!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    4 years ago

Like you do the Chinese propaganda coming our way to counter what our elected leaders say?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.2    4 years ago

We will be praying for both of you along with all the rest of America during these times of crisis

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.4    4 years ago

Forget the hypocrisy. If I want/need someone to pray for me, it will be someone who actually give a damn about me, and I have many of those, not someone who likes to think he is God.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Freefaller  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.4    4 years ago
We

Who is this we you speak of?  Do you now pretend to hold a position enabling you to know the thoughts of all the religious in America?  

Cause from what I can see here the only one that agrees with you is you.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.5    4 years ago

throwing some change in the decorative wishing well in a neighbors front yard will do as much good for the USA as a bunch of bible thumpers jabbering like brainless ninnies.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  devangelical @2.1.7    4 years ago

Indeed. I attended an charismatic church a few times when I was young to see what kind of religion they taught. And what really turned me off was the time when the congregation, after having the money tray passed around about 4 times already, were told that the Preacher needed a new car and that the doors were locked and they could not leave the church until there was enough money raised to buy his new car.

What was really heart breaking is that the congregation was made up of the poorest section of town, many of which could not even buy enough food for their family, yet, they were told it was their duty to pay for the Preachers new car. I thought then and there that if that is the kind of God they believe in I wanted no part of it, as those who ran the church were no better than the money changers to scam the poor and then tell them their God loves them.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.8    4 years ago

Being a member of a church that is part of a denomination generally prevents abuses like that.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.10  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.9    4 years ago

BS. I found that such things happen pretty regularly in a lot of churches of no particular religion. Money is the only thing matters to any church. When they look out over the congregation all they see is dollar signs. And they care less if any of them gets 'saved' or not, just so long as they keep the money coming in.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.10    4 years ago

What’s a church of no particular religion? Wouldn’t it have to be Christian to be a church in the 1st place.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.12  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.11    4 years ago

Oh please. I know you aren't that dense. By no particular religion means that they were of various religions. Not all the same religion.They were all of different religions. Any other way I can present it that you will better understand?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @2.1.6    4 years ago

Well I know that XX and one other person here is not really praying for any of us heathens

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.11    4 years ago

She means denominations. You know that's what RW means.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.12    4 years ago

Christianity is one religion , like Judaism and Islam there are multiple versions or denominations within.  The kind of thing that might happen in an independent stand alone church is different than a denominational church that is part of a culture and has structure and accountability built into it.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.13    4 years ago

You have no idea who or what I pray for.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.16    4 years ago

by your comments on here, I have a pretty good idea

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  Larry Hampton @2    4 years ago

it's just another golden opportunity to shakedown the gullible victim wannabes.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @2    4 years ago

Why is it legal for you to put a link to your own seed in my seed in post 2 and yet when I did it to others on a political topic it was against the rules?  

[Because you can't both respond to a comment AND declare it off topic.  It's one or the other.  Pick one.]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

As churches have made the hard choice of suspending services, churchgoing Americans should continue to send their tithes as ministries are playing a vital role in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, Vice President Mike Pence said at a White House press briefing Saturday.

Americans are responding to the novel coronavirus pandemic with “common sense, compassion and generosity,” Pence said and praised religious leaders and faith communities for their continued service.

“Making the hard choice to suspend services, to have online services, even while those ministries are continuing to support food banks and come alongside of the most vulnerable,” he said.

“And of course the chorus of prayers that is coming up from communities of faith around the country is making the difference that it always has in the life of this nation.” 

He and President Donald Trump had promised to “remind people that on the weekends that you’re not in the pews, it’s still a good idea, if you can, to go ahead and make that donation.” He explained that “all the ministries are continuing to play a vital role in our communities and we encourage your continued support.”  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3    4 years ago

This what the seed is about.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.2  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3    4 years ago
ministries are playing a vital role in the wake of the coronavirus crisis,

What exactly are the churches doing ?

Maybe you should send extra in case some aren't tithing.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @3.2    4 years ago

They are all doing what they can.  I’ll contin to tithe my income.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @3.2    4 years ago

LOS ANGELES (RNS) — It’s been a week since the Pentecostal megachurch Angelus Temple in Los Angeles chose to cancel its public church services and decided to instead focus on feeding families in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic that has caused job layoffs and shut down schools and restaurants.

The Dream Center, the church’s nonprofit in Echo Park, has been open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. to provide free hot and boxed meals all week — not just to families with children from the Los Angeles Unified School District, but to anyone who stops by for its drive-thru or pick-up service.

The center will also be distributing meals this weekend.

Angelus Temple pastor Matthew Barnett said food distributions have gone smoothly.

The church is averaging 5,000 meals a day as well as 150 daily visits to the elderly to provide them with food. Chick-fil-A and Pink’s Hot Dogs have donated food, he said.

The center is also asking for monetary contributions to be able to continue serving residents. Los Angeles Dodgers teammates Justin Turner and Clayton Kershaw are among those who have donated money and have even called businesses to supply food.

Barnett said the church plans to provide meals as long as necessary.

The center has also distributed free diapers to those in need and has taken in some 16 people without a home. On Thursday (March 19) Barnett said the center ordered $20,000 of mass food from vendors it normally works with. That money came from the church, he said.

Church members have had to tweak the way they provide meals since social distancing measures continued to shift throughout the week.

“We’re just listening to the news cycle on one hand and we’re just adjusting on the fly as people just keep showing up,” Barnett said earlier this week. 

Barnett said some people thought the church’s decision to cancel its public services last week was abrupt and drastic, “but we knew that something was about to happen that was to become major.”

“So we just put our emphasis on other areas,” Barnett said.

In Los Angeles, “that’s going to be food scarcity as the shelves are going to be empty and families have been displaced,” Barnett said.

While some churches have resisted the idea of canceling public gatherings, Barnett said that by following the social distancing guidelines and canceling those public services “you can alleviate some fears and make that community a little bit safer or feel more protected."

That resistance, he said, “is not productive in bringing about healing and possibilities of what we can do during this time.”

READ THIS STORY AT RELIGIONNEWS.COM

Article originally published by Religion News Service 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.3    4 years ago
It’s been a week since the Pentecostal megachurch Angelus Temple in Los Angeles chose to cancel its public church services and decided to instead focus on feeding families in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic that has caused job layoffs and shut down schools and restaurants.

Why did they cancel services?  Do they need to pray harder for protection??

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.4    4 years ago

Maybe because we take precautions in addition to prayer....

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.6  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.5    4 years ago
Maybe because we take precautions in addition to prayer.

You don't believe your God can protect you?  Where's your faith?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.3    4 years ago

Helping families is what they should be doing with the donations and tithes instead of building a brand new rectory or buying the preacher a Lear jet.

I say good for this church. At least they're doing something right

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.8  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.6    4 years ago

Haven’t you wondered why major church denominations have built education systems K-post graduate to educate the young and state of the art hospitals using the latest technology in this country and around the world?  And yes they pray in those schools and have chapels and ministries in those hospitals.  Satan’s second temptation of Jesus was presumption of Gods protection.  Casting himself down from great height so that Angels would rescue Him.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.9  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.8    4 years ago
Haven’t you wondered why major church denominations have built education systems K-post graduate to educate the young and state of the art hospitals using the latest technology in this country and around the world?

Educate?  No.  Brain wash, indoctrinate, yes.  Any education they get is a byproduct.

And yes they pray in those schools and have chapels and ministries in those hospitals.

Good for them, but they really do not believe any prayers will be acted upon.

Satan’s second temptation of Jesus was presumption of Gods protection.  Casting himself down from great height so that Angels would rescue Him.  

You truly come up with some bizarre shit! 

If your god turns a deaf ear to your prayers, and will not protect you when it is needed, what is the point of worshiping him?   Abject fear and threats???

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Instead of tithing, take that money and buy food for someone who is struggling.  IMO God would be more impressed with that than the money going to support the lavish lifestyles some of these phony baloney use donations for.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

sorry, but all that money is sinful until the millionaire preachers "lay their hands" on it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

I can get a strict accounting of where general donations go and can self direct donations to multiple specific causes with the donations given within my denomination so I have no fear of anything going to support wealthy life styles. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    4 years ago
I can get a strict accounting of where general donations go and can self direct donations to multiple specific causes with the donations given within my denomination so I have no fear of anything going to support wealthy life styles. 

Prove it.  Post the numbers if it is public info as you claim.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    4 years ago

I knew I would eventually find something to like about you.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.3  katrix  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

Exactly. That is what I'm doing. I don't need a church to be a middleman for me.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.3.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  katrix @4.3    4 years ago

The church isn’t a middleman in this case  as many denominations directly operate their own faith based charities.  When I give to mine or another denominations charity such as The Salvation Army I know the money is being put to a good cause and wisely spent.  

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    4 years ago

Give more, give deep, give 'till it hurts and then give 'em your all! God will smile on you and give it back 3 fold! Can I get an AMEN! This is fun. Do you think I could start a church of the evilgenius? Will I get a private jet? A fancy house and a wife with fake tits?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1  Freefaller  replied to  evilone @5    4 years ago
Do you think I could start a church of the evilgenius? Will I get a private jet? A fancy house and a wife with fake tits?

Sure I don't see why not, it's not like there's any qualifications, faith, belief required all ya need is an utter contempt for the well being of your fellow man.

Though you may want to work on the name a bit.